Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Moola posted:

either you play casual, so loving take whatever you want it doesnt matter

Or you're a tournament player, so you probably already know whats good, so why are you posting your army list?

I hate how it dominates so many threads, its not even GW exclusive

Yeah, why would anyone want to discuss the strategies around the choices you make in a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In a thread about that game

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In a subforum about games

what idiots

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

Or you're a tournament player, so you probably already know whats good, so why are you posting your army list?

I don't mind it much in the wangs thread since it doesn't have as many posters, but the moment the list brews became their own magic thread was when it got good.

This way my Jace TMS fanfics garner more attention.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I want the Age of Sigmar thread to be open again so I can ask that one guy who is playing Hinterlands how it's going

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Moola posted:

I enjoy occasional list-posting for games and armies that I play (which happens to be good game KoW). I'm not a skilled player and I don't play that often, so seeing someone's list and reading what worked and what didn't helps me learn how to play my army better. I play casually, but I enjoy knowing how my army works so I don't get my rear end handed to me constantly. I had a several games winning streak against my one regular opponent, because I had learned how to play with my army before he had. Then I switched armies and now I'm in a losing streak because he has finally learned how his army plays while I'm still getting to grips with my new dudes.

Also, I live in Finland so the national KoW scene is like ten guys. Luckily we all are chill and casual, so tournaments are a ton of fun.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

I don't mind it much in the wangs thread since it doesn't have as many posters, but the moment the list brews became their own magic thread was when it got good.

This way my Jace TMS fanfics garner more attention.

I dont mind if its actual tactics chat, but when its just "here's my list, what do you think?" posts, and there's like 10 of these posts per page I get irrationally angry and autistic

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best way to fix Age of Sigmar is to play Wrath of Kings.

EDIT: Yeah, list building advice is usually the worse. Half the time it's just "toss out all the models and replace it with this list" which is pointless.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 22, 2017

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Moola posted:

I dont mind if its actual tactics chat, but when its just "here's my list, what do you think?" posts, and there's like 10 of these posts per page I get irrationally angry and autistic

Calm down and get something to eat, Moola.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a sucker for fables and twisted fairy tales. The Heretic looks boss and there aren't enough crones in the world :v:

Also, Bretonnia trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60WQUG3XW3M

Green Knight's entry and exit is doofy...

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
List building is also legit posting for people new to a game or Army.

Moola would you feel better if I posted a list...

...of Skellingtons?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Moola posted:

Heres my list can I get some feedback??

-Carrots
-Spinach
-Iceburg Lettuce
-Salami (mild)
-X-wangs

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kingcom posted:

Heres my list can I get some feedback??

-Carrots
-Spinach
-Iceburg Lettuce
-Salami (mild)
-X-wangs

Youre pretty well protected against common carb armies, but id recommend swapping in salami (spicy) to give you more coverage against seasoned armies or sauce lists.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lemon aioli synergizes well with spinach and I'd upgrade those carrots to pickled if you can afford it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
That's scrub-tier poo poo and you should be embarrassed you're bringing it. The latest meta calls for:

- ham x2
- ham x2
- a fifth ham

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Didn't realize 30k was up for discussion

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xarbala posted:

Lemon aioli synergizes well with spinach and I'd upgrade those carrots to pickled if you can afford it.

Mayo is good on everything.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

That's scrub-tier poo poo and you should be embarrassed you're bringing it. The latest meta calls for:

- ham x2
- ham x2
- a fifth ham

Look at this filthy WAAC right here!

Xarbala posted:

:vince:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TKIY posted:

There, done. Not a perfect game but better.

The issue with a lot of these fixes is that you've just added another layer of dice rolls rather than actually fixing the problems. You haven't added any player agency which is what your complaint was. Things happened, you had no way to prevent or counter them, and you got screwed because of it. I don't see how adding a dice roll mitigates that, especially not when your opponent has a pool of dice he can draw from to pre-determine the outcomes of dice rolls.

If you think Mortal Wounds are too powerful, the actual solution is to change how they work, not to gate their effectiveness behind a dice roll. You do this by either just completely rewriting the rules for them (they now always do X instead of Y) or by giving them conditionals. Maybe Mortal Wounds can't ignore armor saves if the target is in a certain type of cover or has proximity to a standard bearer or something like that. Sure it's more complex than just rolling a dice, but it means the players can actually affect how and when the conditions are triggered. This would lead to, well, tactics.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

TKIY posted:

Speak of the devil, a tactics article on the AoS 3" bubble thing: https://aos-tactics.com/2017/02/21/zoning-area-denial/

I mean, I'm trying but:

**SIGH**

im sure getting rid of conga lines was poo poo out as a defense of AoS at least once lmao

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

The issue with a lot of these fixes is that you've just added another layer of dice rolls rather than actually fixing the problems. You haven't added any player agency which is what your complaint was. Things happened, you had no way to prevent or counter them, and you got screwed because of it. I don't see how adding a dice roll mitigates that, especially not when your opponent has a pool of dice he can draw from to pre-determine the outcomes of dice rolls.

If you think Mortal Wounds are too powerful, the actual solution is to change how they work, not to gate their effectiveness behind a dice roll. You do this by either just completely rewriting the rules for them (they now always do X instead of Y) or by giving them conditionals. Maybe Mortal Wounds can't ignore armor saves if the target is in a certain type of cover or has proximity to a standard bearer or something like that. Sure it's more complex than just rolling a dice, but it means the players can actually affect how and when the conditions are triggered. This would lead to, well, tactics.

Yeah I was looking for a way to patch it fast and dirty without altering the much vaunted 4 pages. Also I threw it together while I was eating lunch and swearing at emails from project managers.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
its real loving weird that those d3 wounds that came off of 1 hit would apply to more than one model

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

TKIY posted:

Speak of the devil, a tactics article on the AoS 3" bubble thing: https://aos-tactics.com/2017/02/21/zoning-area-denial/

I mean, I'm trying but:

**SIGH**

I clicked the link just to get a clearer explanation of what the hell was going on and...are they using a Kings of War image as their header????

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pyrolocutus posted:

I clicked the link just to get a clearer explanation of what the hell was going on and...are they using a Kings of War image as their header????

You tell me.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Pyrolocutus posted:

You're using unit spacing rules to maximize map control while protecting an important/vulnerable unit and the objective.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Irate Tree posted:

I'm a sucker for fables and twisted fairy tales. The Heretic looks boss and there aren't enough crones in the world :v:

Also, Bretonnia trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60WQUG3XW3M

Green Knight's entry and exit is doofy...

Whereas the scene from 1:24 loving rules and is WHFB when it was best.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

You tell me.

lmao

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

LeSquide posted:

Calm down and get something to eat, Moola.

*munches on bonemeal*

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Xarbala posted:

:drat:

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Radish posted:

From before I quit playing Warhammer fantasy, 40k, and LOTR (so about four years ago) this is 100% how those games were played competitively. Every time my tournament playing friends talked up their latest army lists, they were describing how they would basically win by turn 2 (or were effectively unbeatable in the case of LOTR) unless they were hard countered. It's totally unsurprising that AoS is even worse and that the people that played GW games are cool with that. It's one of the reasons I quit because why bother to play this expensive game that's decided on a piece of paper?

Jesus, and I thought Blizzard had trouble with balancing. I'm sort of glad I never managed to play a game of 40k, since my black Templar consisted only of what I thought looked cool (I had 2 emperor champions and 3 dreadnoughts just because I liked them. I put meltas on all of the dreads).

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Moola posted:

what an absolute miserable piece of poorly written poo poo this game is jfc

It seriously sounds like baby's first war game; It's like if you designed a war game but made no attempt to look at any other game made since the 90s

Huh, what was the autowin in LotR? I remember that being pretty decent.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

spectralent posted:

Huh, what was the autowin in LotR? I remember that being pretty decent.

Not sure about LotR (Uruk-hai were super strong but not sure if they were busted) but in WotR there was basically an unbeatable list. I can't remember the specifics but it basically revolved around one mega unit and a bunch of war machines. You had all the good guy heroes in it and there was this trick to generating infinite might based on a few abilities that stacked. There was a chance it didn't go infinite but that required some impressively bad luck. So then you used the might to cast the spell where people can't charge that unit and any casualties from shooting could be healed via magic. While that is going on the warmachines are doing enough damage so that you get enough points to win.

There were other broken interactions but as far as I know that one was the worst since basically it could not be stopped. WotR was super broke.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
On the one hand, I really liked Lord of the Rings and I'm sad that I've re-purposed a lot of my character models into multi-based units in Kings of War, but on the other hand Kings of War is amazing and I'm happy those models are regularly getting time on the table in some form.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I heard this story from a tournament in the UK where one scenario was a breakthrough scenario where the attackers objective was to get a single unit or hero of the opposing players table edge. The attacker got first turn.

The balancing factor was that the attacker had to break his list in two beforehand and the opponent got to choose which half of the attackers army would be used.

One player had one list with a ton of uruk-hai and other hard hitting and expensive troops and one half with some dinky cavalry and Grima Wormtounge.

So the opponent of course chose the one with Grima in it. Only Grima has a special ability where he deploys in the enemy's deployment zone.

So of course he spent his first turn walking 1" of the board edge and win the game.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
If you guys keep having this on-topic conversation I'm gonna lock this thread.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Not a viking posted:

I heard this story from a tournament in the UK where one scenario was a breakthrough scenario where the attackers objective was to get a single unit or hero of the opposing players table edge. The attacker got first turn.

The balancing factor was that the attacker had to break his list in two beforehand and the opponent got to choose which half of the attackers army would be used.

One player had one list with a ton of uruk-hai and other hard hitting and expensive troops and one half with some dinky cavalry and Grima Wormtounge.

So the opponent of course chose the one with Grima in it. Only Grima has a special ability where he deploys in the enemy's deployment zone.

So of course he spent his first turn walking 1" of the board edge and win the game.

This is interesting because I feel like I've heard plenty of people rave about LotR. I liked the models, but never got into it. Is the game garbage or not?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

How is that Manowar vidya anyway?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TheChirurgeon posted:

This is interesting because I feel like I've heard plenty of people rave about LotR. I liked the models, but never got into it. Is the game garbage or not?

Well this is a specific scenario that a specific unit was able to exploit because a specific player didn't know/remember/ask what that unit's rules were. poo poo like that is going to be present in every game ever. The underlying mechanics of the game are fine, but yes some heroes are better than others and some combinations are cheesy.

Come to think of it, this is probably why the official scenarios for Kings of War and Deadzone are so boring. You can't exploit them.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
LotR is a great skirmish game. If you play at high points values I feel it gets a little clunky and slows down. Otherwise it's pretty easy to pick up and play with tons of more tactics to learn as you go.

To be honest I was hoping Age of Sigmar was going to be the LotR rules ported over to warhammer. I was wrong. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Nash posted:

To be honest I was hoping Age of Sigmar was going to be the LotR rules ported over to warhammer. I was wrong. :(

My assumption is that that would be a violation of their licensing agreement with the Tolkien estate. There's probably a clause that says something to the effect of, "And Lord of the Rings must be kept distinct and separate and incompatible with other GW properties, such as Warhammer." So while they could certainly important some of the mechanics, just wholesale bringing over the system, the stat lines, etc, could maybe have gotten them in trouble since then you could mix universes. I think this is also why LotR is true scale and not heroic since it makes a visual distinction between the two lines.

Of course, I'm just assuming that a clause like that exists at all, but it seems likely.

• Locked thread