Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

it's more that they seem to be under the impression everyone in their audience is PRO snake oil? So like, every episode is just two unfunny nerds going "Oh my GOD I can't believe you thought this was true" as they jerk each other off.

i'm not really sure how you arrived at that idea?
i mean, they generally seem to go out of their way to at least try to keep an open mind although i've heard them get more convinced then 'i can see how this might help someone on a psychological level, possibly maybe' probably the most contempt i've heard from them was from the scientology series, which really, scientology deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just finished up the episode of TAZ run by Travis, and I'd like to hear a campaign run by him. He put quite a bit of craft into his world, and the setup and stakes are very different from what Griffin's designed. His puzzle dungeon itself was a bit rough (two of the puzzles were clearly designed to be run with a grid and suffered heavily from doing theater of the mind, and the question robot would have been much better used in a social puzzle), but that's understandable for a first time DM who isn't even running prewritten materials.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

inthesto posted:

I just finished up the episode of TAZ run by Travis, and I'd like to hear a campaign run by him. He put quite a bit of craft into his world, and the setup and stakes are very different from what Griffin's designed. His puzzle dungeon itself was a bit rough (two of the puzzles were clearly designed to be run with a grid and suffered heavily from doing theater of the mind, and the question robot would have been much better used in a social puzzle), but that's understandable for a first time DM who isn't even running prewritten materials.

Definitely! You can tell from the backstory of that world (and the Magnus backstory) that he really enjoys that super-detailed worldbuilding, and it sets up a superficially similar but probably in practice very different game mechanic (the guys are a team who get sent on missions by their boss).

Given the huge amount of backstory for the world that Travis ran through at the beginning, almost none of which was relevant to the actual episode, I'm sure it's one of the possibilities they're considering for the next campaign. (Didn't Griffin say someplace that they'd all pitched things and were working to figure out the best option?)

(From that episode I also loved Griffin's character gimmick and Justin's character's complete 180 from almost every aspect of Taako's character. Clint's character gimmick I cannot imagine working over an entire campaign.)

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I'm gonna guess they'll go with Travis DMing the next game. They already have an intro to it, he has the dedication to put in the effort, and he still has a better grasp on the game than Clint. Justin sounded like he's gonna do everything he can to not have to run a campaign. I'd prefer to hear Clint's next though, because Travis's is still very "D&D world" and superheroes sound fun.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Justin sounded like he's gonna do everything he can to not have to run a campaign.
I picture Justin as a DM as being basically the same result as he comes off in the Seeso Safety Town trailer.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I'd certainly listen to a D&D podcast about toilet crime.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

SpacePig posted:

Also, each brother is their own separate source, so Griffin has to make sure that 3 separate recordings sync up perfectly. I'm sure he has a lot of drinking and crunching and chewing to edit out each week, too. It's probably not as much editing as a lot of podcasts out there, but it's probably a decent amount at least.

The syncing is super easy. It's the editing for content that's hard, and if Griffin actually does cut roughly 50% of what they record, then yikes that's a lot of work.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
It's so worth all that editing though, if you listen to any other actual play podcast that isn't so tightly edited you really do miss it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POPjW3iqnrU

A new Peescraft already?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

now i wanna play saga frontier 2 again

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

aynraandyy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The audience interaction has breathed new life into Peacecraft.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

guest starring tom selleck

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
chanller would never have done this to me

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I just realized with all the talk of TriData for the show episode, could we get special guest Dwight Slappe?????

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Kojiro posted:

It's so worth all that editing though, if you listen to any other actual play podcast that isn't so tightly edited you really do miss it.

I could say the same about any regular non-McElroy podcast too. Editing out boring or bad bits is good but like nobody else does it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mikeycp posted:

I could say the same about any regular non-McElroy podcast too. Editing out boring or bad bits is good but like nobody else does it.

Do you seriously think the McElroys are the only people on the goddamned planet who edit their podcasts

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Alaois posted:

Do you seriously think the McElroys are the only people on the goddamned planet who edit their podcasts

No. But from my experience many more don't edit than those that do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alaois posted:

no but they, especially griffin, are genuinely really loving good at it while most podcasts are just fine at it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Or you have like giant bomb that basically just throws it up raw. Or FatT that I think edits but it still comes out sounding bad.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

mikeycp posted:

Or you have like giant bomb

well, there's your problem right there

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I want GB as raw as they can get it. If they edited it then I wouldn't have bought this tortilla press, and that would be a crime.

What's this Travis DM TAZ episode everyone is talking about?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Donor bonus episode.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

bunky posted:

I enjoyed Harmonquest. They also have The IT Crowd, The Young Ones, Fawlty Towers and The Kids in the Hall. If you are into standup, they have some good stuff every now and then. Big Jay's What's Your loving Deal is a crowd work show that has some good moments depending on the comics.

loving sold

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

AriadneThread posted:

well, there's your problem right there

Well I don't listen to their podcasts anymore, so it's not really a problem.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh poo poo Seeso has Fawlty Towers? Sold.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Christ, even though this world of TAZ is nearing the end, I sent Griffin 150 items that I had previously made for a homebrew game.

He's probably going to ignore my email but oh well.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Just finished watching the free episode on Youtube. Have we discussed the fact that Travis basically got them playing Sad Libs with the Facebook post?

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Inzombiac posted:

Christ, even though this world of TAZ is nearing the end, I sent Griffin 150 items that I had previously made for a homebrew game.

He's probably going to ignore my email but oh well.

You're the kinda person he loving ignores. Maybe you should suggest alternate DnD systems for him to ignore too?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Wake_N_Bake posted:

You're the kinda person he loving ignores. Maybe you should suggest alternate DnD systems for him to ignore too?

dude you know Griffin's taken user suggestions for Fantasy Costco items since it became a thing, right?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Zeeman posted:

Just finished watching the free episode on Youtube. Have we discussed the fact that Travis basically got them playing Sad Libs with the Facebook post?

I've been hacked!

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Griffin's not going to accept 150 items.

I might though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

flatluigi posted:

dude you know Griffin's taken user suggestions for Fantasy Costco items since it became a thing, right?

Yeah, I dunno why Wake N Bake is being an rear end.
He's totally going to ignore most if not all of them but he's said in the past that he prefers many items with short descriptions (which is what I have him) instead of one item with pages and pages of history and description (which he has gotten before and completely ignored).

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, I dunno why Wake N Bake is being an rear end.
He's totally going to ignore most if not all of them but he's said in the past that he prefers many items with short descriptions (which is what I have him) instead of one item with pages and pages of history and description (which he has gotten before and completely ignored).

I'm not being an rear end. Submitting one cool item, awesome. Submit 10, yeah, he said he's not going to read it. Submit 150? That's over the top, and I'd expect most people to realize that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wake_N_Bake posted:

I'm not being an rear end. Submitting one cool item, awesome. Submit 10, yeah, he said he's not going to read it. Submit 150? That's over the top, and I'd expect most people to realize that.

No you're just being the baby idiot rear end in a top hat you always are whenever anyone mentions roleplaying games in this thread, presumably because a copy of GURPS fell off a shelf in a bookstore and killed your dad

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Wake_N_Bake posted:

You're the kinda person he loving ignores.

Please tell us more about what you imagine Griffin's thought processes are. In your mind does he think you're cool and funny? Does he validate the very little you add to any conversation?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Can we be cool for a loving second

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

purple death ray posted:

Can we be cool for a loving second

It's always the TAZ people. I don't know why the MBMBAM and Rose Buddies people are so cool but DND makes everyone lose their poo poo.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Remember Obama's midnight amendments:
1) Be cool.
2) C'mon.
3) Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

pee out my butt posted:

It's always the TAZ people. I don't know why the MBMBAM and Rose Buddies people are so cool but DND makes everyone lose their poo poo.

No, it's always Wake_N_Bake. People can be discussing TAZ/rpgs in a totally normal, reasonable way and he'll come in and just stomp his little feetsies and shake his fists and hold his breath until everyone pays attention to him