Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rhyno posted:

My memories of G'kar make me want to rewatch Babylon 5 but I'm worried it won't hold up.

It won't!

Watch it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
A friend of mine lent me his DVDs of it a few years ago, and the stories still work really well, buy the CGI looks like garbage and most of the sets look really, really cheap.

Babylon 5 feels like a show that could make for a really decent reboot with some money and talent behind it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

Babylon 5 feels like a show that could make for a really decent reboot with some money and talent behind it.

Modern Hollywood would meddle with it until it ended weird like Lost or BSG

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FuturePastNow posted:

Modern Hollywood would meddle with it until it ended weird like Lost or BSG

I'm thinking something like on HBO or something. Plus I don't think either of those had a lot of meddling from the studios.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

WampaLord posted:

In the eyes of Robert Hewitt Wolfe and Ira Steven Behr, the main reason the episode failed was because of restrictions placed upon how open they could be about sexuality. This was a show that was supposed to be examining sex, but it wasn't allowed to actually show any sex. As Wolfe explains, "kids watch this show, and in some markets it airs at five o'clock. That meant we couldn't show skin, so there was no sex. It became a totally asexual show, and once that happened the whole thing got flushed down the toilet because none of it made sense anymore." (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion)

You know what, then find a different show for that kind of story. I'm fine with Trek remaining in the safe for kids zone. Not everything needs to be sexy or gruesome. Restraint is actually worthwhile.

Rhyno posted:

My memories of G'kar make me want to rewatch Babylon 5 but I'm worried it won't hold up.

Define "hold up." It's a thoroughly '90s tv show in presentation, and struggled against its tight budget limits. But once it starts hitting its stride in late season 1 to early season 2, you won't regret a rewatch.

You might regret it a little bit up to that point. But it's so worth it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Oh yeah, I forgot what I came in here for.

Trip report: DS9 season 1 episode 4 "Babel."

Line of the episode: "Rom is an idiot. He couldn't fix a straw if it was bent."

This could've easily been a late TNG script with a few well placed find/replace strings. It's serviceable, and that's about all I really have for this one.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

You know what, then find a different show for that kind of story. I'm fine with Trek remaining in the safe for kids zone. Not everything needs to be sexy or gruesome. Restraint is actually worthwhile.

It's amazing that none of them found the real problem with the episode which is "Worf sides with terrorists because he's a loving stick in the mud."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

WampaLord posted:

It's amazing that none of them found the real problem with the episode which is "Worf sides with terrorists because he's a loving stick in the mud."

It was about this time when Trek as a whole really started its decline. It had started in the late TNG years when everyone got into a rut and burned out creatively, but it just kept accelerating and eventually got to a point of no return. They needed some fresh blood at the helm because of stuff like this. They were too invested and comfortable to see what they were really doing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

It was about this time when Trek as a whole really started its decline. It had started in the late TNG years when everyone got into a rut and burned out creatively, but it just kept accelerating and eventually got to a point of no return. They needed some fresh blood at the helm because of stuff like this. They were too invested and comfortable to see what they were really doing.

I dunno, I mean, the very next season gave us Far Beyond The Stars which on top of being a great episode, did a lot that Trek had never done before and In the Pale Moonlight, which is arguably the best episode across the entirety of Star Trek.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

A friend of mine lent me his DVDs of it a few years ago, and the stories still work really well, buy the CGI looks like garbage and most of the sets look really, really cheap.

A decent remaster with new CG would do it wonders, too.

Doesn't even have to be top-notch new CG, just something passable would be great.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Powered Descent posted:

Someday the Enterprise will run into something that incapacitates everyone except Bolians. Then it's up to the ship's barbers to save the day.

I think you are forgetting the canonical ability of Bolians to do extremely powerful shits.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pakled posted:

I dunno, I mean, the very next season gave us Far Beyond The Stars which on top of being a great episode, did a lot that Trek had never done before and In the Pale Moonlight, which is arguably the best episode across the entirety of Star Trek.

Voyager and Enterprise had highlights too; none of that contradicts my point.

MikeJF posted:

Doesn't even have to be top-notch new CG, just something passable would be great.

I'd prefer this. There is no way you could reliably replicate the chemistry of Londo and G'kar with new actors, as one example. But moreover, in general I maintain you could not make a show like B5 today. Everyone is too cynical to make something that threads the needle so well of the scrappy underdogs who somehow remain complex characters as they become legit Big drat Heroes. I fully believe any attempt today would either end up like the versions postulated by the armchair quarterback historians in The Deconstruction of Falling Stars, or leave them feeling flat.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

skooma512 posted:

Don't you need a SAG card to have speaking roles?

Yes, but she would've gotten her SAG card from doing this. There are multiple ways to join SAG or Equity or AFTRA. They still audition non-union.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Man, one poorly thought out episode isn't proof of a long term decline. You may as well claim Trek started to decline when they decided Riker should murder some apparently fully-grown clones as part of the World's Worst Abortion Metaphor, but that was in TNG season two!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Superior homosexuality breeds superior fabulousness. A lesson we would do well to recall.

200 years ago I was a queen, with style over millions...

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I agree with this. And in a way, it makes the moments of occasional violence more extreme and shocking -- at least in a relative sense. I watched the Season 2 ep "Loud as a Whisper" earlier and ... it's not a very interesting episode but I laughed out loud in a holy poo poo way at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKp5oAHHNCI

It's such a low-key and muted episode and then half the away team gets vaporized.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm fine with Trek remaining in the safe for kids zone.

Whoa way to poo poo all over Gene's vision for the future where everyone's a four-breasted hermaphrodite strip-tease queen lusting after biblical-scale Ferengi dong

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

Are you kidding? It would be despised for ruining the original vision. It is known. AT MOST if they just, like, fixed a couple of glaring authentic goofs they might be able to get away with it - maybe - if the people who did it were sufficiently fellatory on maintaining the original vision.

I'd prefer this. There is no way you could reliably replicate the chemistry of Londo and G'kar with new actors, as one example. But moreover, in general I maintain you could not make a show like B5 today. Everyone is too cynical to make something that threads the needle so well of the scrappy underdogs who somehow remain complex characters as they become legit Big drat Heroes. I fully believe any attempt today would either end up like the versions postulated by the armchair quarterback historians in The Deconstruction of Falling Stars, or leave them feeling flat.
It's a shame the people involved with Enterprise never got the idea to start spinning a yarn about studio interference. If they had, I half-expect Enterprise would be the fan favorite by now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I rewatched it recently and really the CG is only super rough in the first season. By three I think it still looks good. It's not BSG but it's not bad.

It has a really distinct look too, lots of color.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Angry Salami posted:

Man, one poorly thought out episode isn't proof of a long term decline. You may as well claim Trek started to decline when they decided Riker should murder some apparently fully-grown clones as part of the World's Worst Abortion Metaphor, but that was in TNG season two!

I wasn't saying that was a jump the shark moment, only that the writers' reactions are a symptom of what already existed and continued to got worse. DS9 is for the most part quite good as I recall. I lasted through 6 (nonconsecutive) seasons of Voyager and all of Enterprise, and like I said there is much to recommend there too. I was making a broader point.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

So after marathoning through TNG, DS9, and Voyager, I decided to finally go through TOS. First season started off rough, but picked up towards the end. Second season was great. Six episodes into the third season and I am very frustrated. Is the rest of the season going to be garbage?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Dazerbeams posted:

So after marathoning through TNG, DS9, and Voyager, I decided to finally go through TOS. First season started off rough, but picked up towards the end. Second season was great. Six episodes into the third season and I am very frustrated. Is the rest of the season going to be garbage?

Unfortunately, yes. There's a few good episodes in season three, but the fact that I can't think of any off the top of my head tells you everything you need to know. "Spock's Brain" is arguably one of the most enjoyable episodes of the season, but not for the reasons you would want or expect.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Railing Kill posted:

Unfortunately, yes. There's a few good episodes in season three, but the fact that I can't think of any off the top of my head tells you everything you need to know. "Spock's Brain" is arguably one of the most enjoyable episodes of the season, but not for the reasons you would want or expect.

Looking over the list of season 3 episodes, I'd say The Enterprise Incident and The Tholian Web are both legitimately good. The rest of them range from okay to downright cringeworthy. There's nothing that can prepare you for the horror that is Spock's Brain, or The Way to Eden, or And the Children Shall Lead, or Plato's Stepchildren.

(And I'll admit I have a soft spot for Spectre of the Gun, but I'm not going to try to claim it's particularly high-quality writing.)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Powered Descent posted:

Looking over the list of season 3 episodes, I'd say The Enterprise Incident and The Tholian Web are both legitimately good. The rest of them range from okay to downright cringeworthy. There's nothing that can prepare you for the horror that is Spock's Brain, or The Way to Eden, or And the Children Shall Lead, or Plato's Stepchildren.

(And I'll admit I have a soft spot for Spectre of the Gun, but I'm not going to try to claim it's particularly high-quality writing.)

All Our Yesterdays is also pretty good. I think of it as an unofficial finale for the show, since the actual finale is such a shitshow. I also have a soft spot for The Cloud Minders, but its ending sure is pretty far out there.

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 22, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I like For The World is Hollow and I Have Touched The Sky and Is There In Truth No Beauty?, but yeah, they're not great episodes.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
'That Which Survives' is good fun if only for Spock being a deadpan sarcastic cock to the entire crew.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Season 3 has the best titles at least.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I read that as 'titties' and I was about to vehemently disagree.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

I read that as 'titties' and I was about to vehemently disagree.

Spoken like someone who doesn't remember The Cloud Minders

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like For The World is Hollow and I Have Touched The Sky and Is There In Truth No Beauty?, but yeah, they're not great episodes.

I legit love the gonzo editing in "Is There In Truth No Beauty?" when someone sees a Medusan and goes insane, it's some wild poo poo.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Dreadnought is almost a really good episode and then no-one really learns anything and everything comes up a little too rosy and moving on, what do you mean I commandeered a weapon of galactic genocide because I was feeling down one day, I don't remember that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

McSpanky posted:

I legit love the gonzo editing in "Is There In Truth No Beauty?" when someone sees a Medusan and goes insane, it's some wild poo poo.

Yeah, an interesting aspect of season 3 is that because everyone knew the show was doomed they sometimes felt freed up to do some very bizarre stuff that you probably couldn't have gotten away with on any other Star Trek show. Like "The Empath". Can't stand it but its staging is way further out there than anything else in Trek, it looks like an episode of The Prisoner.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

King Hong Kong posted:

Season 3 has the best titles at least.

TOS, all of it, has better episode titles than all of the rest of Trek. "Better" here meant as "dramatic, poetic, and more than a little overwrought." But they're cool as hell.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

skasion posted:

Spoken like someone who doesn't remember The Cloud Minders

What Are Little Girls Made Of says you're wrong.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

Are you kidding? It would be despised for ruining the original vision. It is known. AT MOST if they just, like, fixed a couple of glaring authentic goofs they might be able to get away with it - maybe - if the people who did it were sufficiently fellatory on maintaining the original vision.

Nah, given how dire the FX are - especially nowdays after they lost the FX masters and it's all hosed up lovely NTSC tapes - I think most fans would be happy with it.

Although I did think that B5 exploding in Lost Tales looked way worse than in Sleeping in Light.

quote:

It's a shame the people involved with Enterprise never got the idea to start spinning a yarn about studio interference. If they had, I half-expect Enterprise would be the fan favorite by now.

Oh it's well known that ENT was more hosed by studio interfefence. B&B wanted proper story arcs from the start and the Temporal Cold War was forced on them to link it to TNG era. Doesn't help it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Nessus posted:

"Captain we're getting another message from UESPA command - they say we need to go shoot our weapons in an asteroid belt for a while, and that we need to make T'Pol's jumpsuit another size smaller."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"We've just received a program to generate strawberry-flavored decon gel and instructions to install cameras in the decon chamber for live 48K hyperdef broadcast back to Earth. For scientific documentation."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Trip, I'd like you to check out the decon chamber. Every time T'Pol and I come back from an away mission, "Unchained Melody" starts playing when we are rubbing decon gel on each other.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Mr. F!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAI-REwa5BI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

Nah, given how dire the FX are - especially nowdays after they lost the FX masters and it's all hosed up lovely NTSC tapes - I think most fans would be happy with it.

Although I did think that B5 exploding in Lost Tales looked way worse than in Sleeping in Light.
Maybe if it was pitched as restoration. I know I've heard a bunch of complaining about the redone effects shots in TOS and I'm used to sci fi fans on the Internet screaming their pants off the moment a computer generated image produced after the Clinton administration gets anywhere near a TV show.

:bonessay: