Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

It's amazing how long it took them to do basic things like "have consistent templating of rules text between cards" and "not have cards worded like they were hastily typed out by an excited DM at 3am".

They seem basic things to us, now. It took Yu-Gi-Oh forever to adopt consistent templating too. It was visionary of Wizards to do that before the turn of the millennium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Everyone always points to Banding as the early-Magic thing no one actually understood properly, but I think the real mystery to most people was the difference between Instants and Interrupts.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
In the last draft I did, I had to have a judge explain to two different people that if I make the target of their Harnessed Lightning illegal, they don't get the energy from it.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

They already fudge things w.r.t the mana pool too, like the improvise flavour text. "Each artifact you tap after you're done activating mana abilities pays for {1}" . That would preclude you from getting 2 mana out of an ethereum cell.

I'm confused; that's the case, isn't it? Like you couldn't get two mana out of convoking an Eldrazi Scion.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Star Man posted:

In the last draft I did, I had to have a judge explain to two different people that if I make the target of their Harnessed Lightning illegal, they don't get the energy from it.

This happens with the green Implement a lot as well.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

This happens with the green Implement a lot as well.

I'm confused as to how you'd think the green implement gained energy at all.

On the subject of implements, what would've made the white implement playable? 0 CC, 4 life, some other effect entirely?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PJOmega posted:

On the subject of implements, what would've made the white implement playable? 0 CC, 4 life, some other effect entirely?

What GonSmithe means is that people get confused over is that they don't get to put the +1/+1 counter on another creature if the one they targeted becomes an illegal target.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm guessing they think they can change what the +1/+1 counter can go on?

Or maybe GonSmithe thinks that if you make the target illegal then they don't get the card?

Either way, this one is a bit easier to grasp than the Harnessed Lightning, imho.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Myriad Truths posted:

I'm confused; that's the case, isn't it? Like you couldn't get two mana out of convoking an Eldrazi Scion.

Huh you made me go back and look it up and you're right. This changed with the convoke reworking for M15. Activating mana abilities in 601.2b, then paying costs in 601.2g. My bad!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

PJOmega posted:

The white implement is playable, it's just that white decks don't tend to care about improvise as much as red decks do, and revolt as a mechanic is super underwhelming and not really worth building around. If the white implement cost colorless mana to sacrifice, red decks would play just as many of them as they will play red implements, which is as many as they can draft.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
If you have even one sac outlet (gearsmasher or the new atog) and a couple of improvise payoff cards then the 1 cmc off colour implements are very playable.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

PJOmega posted:

If it was in a color that had improvise. If you are playing a super revolt strategy its playable or B/W its fine.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Renewed Faith was a standard playable card and it was basically always cycled (although there were other synergies at work there as well), the white implement being bad is contextual and not because is actively bad.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The white implement is perfectly playable in WR, WB, or WU if you have enough Improvise cards and maybe a couple things that have Revolt or care about artifacts in other ways like the 1B uncommon enchantment from Kaladesh.

1-mana artifacts of any kind are at a premium for Improvise decks.

I'd still rather have the red one.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/Fushinopanic/status/834578369794617344

They're having a bit of a rough week...

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

odiv posted:

They're having a bit of a rough week...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Get your specs in now folks.

Its basically splinter twin.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 23, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
You need something else like Hardened Scales to go infinite.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sickening posted:

I....don't get it. Shoot self, get a counter, shoot self, die? Is there a third card involved, or do you need two copies of that do-nothing enchantment?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You still need a hardened scales effect for that to actually combo off, right?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Hellsau posted:

I....don't get it. Shoot self, get a counter, shoot self, die? Is there a third card involved, or do you need two copies of that do-nothing enchantment?

:thejoke:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

this joke disappoints me

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

On the subject of people not understanding mana I had a guy on Cockatrice once claim that Painter's Servant naming Blue made all lands Islands. I just left.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sickening posted:

Here's something that is also basically Splinter Twin.

http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-mengucci-modern-jeskai-saheeli/

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

video starts "it's a pretty weird idea." gently caress you you dorklord, you're just UWR Twin, but worse

quit loving around with felidar guardian and put in sun titans like god and Oath of Druids intended

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

video starts "it's a pretty weird idea." gently caress you you dorklord, you're just UWR Twin, but worse

quit loving around with felidar guardian and put in sun titans like god and Oath of Druids intended

......and play an unplayable deck instead of a terrible one?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Isn't there a deck that already plays 4 of one of those and 8 of the other?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

TVsVeryOwn posted:

On the subject of people not understanding mana I had a guy on Cockatrice once claim that Painter's Servant naming Blue made all lands Islands. I just left.

How do people like this exist? Serious question. Do they just not care about the rules, or what?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

......and play an unplayable deck instead of a terrible one?

correct

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Saffron Olive's latest misadventure makes me want to puke, but it also gave me a question.

Does Inspiring Statuary give Faithless Looting Improvise even in the graveyard? The way it's worded makes me think it does.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Veyrall posted:

Saffron Olive's latest misadventure makes me want to puke, but it also gave me a question.

Does Inspiring Statuary give Faithless Looting Improvise even in the graveyard? The way it's worded makes me think it does.

It's a spell you cast and it isn't an artifact, so yeah.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
One of my teammates has the best bad beat story ever from GP Vancouver. Teammate was on ad nauseum and Round 1 of the main event he got 2-0'd by:

G/U Hardened Scales!

Opponent went T1 fetch, shock, hardened scales.

T2 fetch, shock, double cloudfin raptor

T3 fetch, hardened scales, strangleroot geist, swing 8.

T4 pongify the strangleroot Geist, swing 17.

Apparently G 2 was very similar. He was at least mildly salty about it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Hey y'all it's the last day to submit entries for this week's Card Design Contest!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
An interesting deck won a Game Day here recently, so I've been fiddling with it online:

BW Displacer:
4 Glint-sleeve Siphoner
4 Eldrazi Displacer
2 Deadeye Harpooner
2 Farigrounds Warden
2 Gonti, Lord of Luxury
3 Gifted Aetherborn
2 Selfless Spirit
2 Restoration Gearsmith
1 Thalia's Lancers
2 Archangel Avacyn

4 Fatal Push
2 Murder

4 Renegade Map
2 Aethersphere Harvester

2 Sinister Concoction

4 Evolving Wilds
3 Concealed Courtyard,
3 Shambling Vent
5 Swamp
4 Plains
1 Wastes
2 Sea Gate Wreckage

Sideboard:
1 Selfless Spirit
1 Fairgrounds Warden
2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
1 Kambal, Consul of Allocation
1 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
1 Linvala, the Preserver
1 Liliana, the last Hope
1 Lost Legacy
1 To the Slaughter
1 Anguished Unmaking
1 Flaying Tendrils
1 Fumigate

I'm liking it so far, it can beat the main three decks, although I had a couple of bad games against the Aether Flux Reservoir combo deck. Personally I favour Ruinous Path over Murder, and I'd consider the black 3CMC Revolt guy that gives -3/-3 instead of Harpooner.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
I prefer Kalitas in GB constrictor over Gonti (I do also play the BB 2/3 deathtoucher as a 2 of as that is a key boardstaller).

My reasons are Kalitas only needs 1 counter to be out of grasp range and makes zombies where relying on your opponents deck to gain an advantage seems dicey to me.

Considering every list I see has 2x Gonti in the main I am assuming I am missing something and my evaluation of the situation is off.

Why is Gonti preferred over Kalitas in your opinions? I would like to know the other side of the argument.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DoctorOozy posted:

I prefer Kalitas in GB constrictor over Gonti (I do also play the BB 2/3 deathtoucher as a 2 of as that is a key boardstaller).

My reasons are Kalitas only needs 1 counter to be out of grasp range and makes zombies where relying on your opponents deck to gain an advantage seems dicey to me.

Considering every list I see has 2x Gonti in the main I am assuming I am missing something and my evaluation of the situation is off.

Why is Gonti preferred over Kalitas in your opinions? I would like to know the other side of the argument.

Kalitas seems like a SB card these days. I thought it was better with Reflector Mage out of the format but most of the time it just doesn't do enough. Gonti almost always is a 2 for 1 in the mirror.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 23, 2017

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Star Man posted:

Tbf I really think this rule should go the way of mana burn at some point. New players are practically guaranteed to learn it as part of a feelbad "gotcha!" moment, and I don't think what it adds to the game strategically is worth that.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Is that rule easy to get rid of? I have a gut feeling you'd just end up with some other "gotcha!" moments, but I can't think of any offhand, so maybe it'd be fine.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Nibble posted:

Tbf I really think this rule should go the way of mana burn at some point. New players are practically guaranteed to learn it as part of a feelbad "gotcha!" moment, and I don't think what it adds to the game strategically is worth that.

What rule? Spells fizzling when they no longer have any legal targets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Nibble posted:

Spell fizzle is an important part of the game. Some cards are balanced around them being disrupt-able in this way.

• Locked thread