Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Bust Rodd posted:

Unpopular Video Game Opinion: This is the 2nd time I'm bringing up this franchise but it is completely baffling to me that in 2017 so many games get voice acting so very, very wrong when the Soul Reaver: Legacy of Kain games just knock it the gently caress out of the park and these are 15-20 year old games.

~Each of the three main dudes (Kain, Raziel, The Olde One) have very unique voices that really cut through the jibba-jabba of townsfolk and vampire hunters

~They are all real stage/small-screen actors, but can't have been that expensive.

~The batshit insane storyline and scene-chewing characterization work because all the actors just 100% show up to every single scene and every line is just a haymaker "I am A VAMPIRE" "Your SOUL, Raziel!" CHILLING!

Fun Fact: The publisher sent Michael Bell a playstation and a copy of Soul Reaver when it came out, but he couldn't beat the tutorial after like 3 days due to being an old man with lovely reflexes and not understanding the concept of gliding in the game "How do I jump twice?" and gave it to his granddaughter, who LP'd it for him.

I do miss those games. It's a shame they lost direction since the first Blood Omen, but your take is spot-on. Professional voice actors kick the poo poo out of getting ordinary actors to read parts. I can maybe see putting somebody with a very distinctive voice (e.g. Martin Sheen) in play, but if they're just movie actors, all putting them in a game is supposed to do is drum up sales. There are occasional exceptions: I didn't care for Mr. Blond in Red Dead Redemption but thought he did a great job as Daud in Dishonored.

One of the other funny things was on PS2 Soul Reaver 2 had an outtakes reel which was mostly just goofy filler, but there was one part where Michael Bell and Simon Templeman (sic?) were doing a readthrough and Bell just starts laughing that Templeman has to read three pages of dialogue and says "Poor Simon. He has to read a novel and I just give him a prompt. 'And?' 'He did what?' "

I miss Kain. gently caress you, Eidos. gently caress you for bringing aliens into a vampire game and so much more.

drat horror queefs posted:

Fact.

The bayonet charge tech in the new battlefield game is the single greatest addition to fps gameplay since quake 2

That's a bold claim, mister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

I dont remember quake 2 adding much to anything, it was a pretty underwhelming id game even at the time.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I played Quake 2 in software mode then one day I bought a Diamond Monster Voodoo 2 and it was the most amazing thing to have ever existed at the time.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The new Devil May Cry remake was actually really good.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Phlegmish posted:

i haven't finished either of the first two fallouts

dont bother, the endings are not the best part of them anyway

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Quake 4 was good.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Maya Fey posted:

I dont remember quake 2 adding much to anything, it was a pretty underwhelming id game even at the time.

quake 2 was a pile of crap. modded quake 1 was where it was at for a long time. i dont even remember any quake 2 mods

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

The new Devil May Cry remake was actually really good.

Yeah. Sometimes i play a game and like it and later hear how lovely and horrible it was and I'm confused.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don't think that DmC is bad, and even the now dead DmC thread agreed that it was a fine action game, it just didn't need to be a DmC game. it's just that the story/lore reboot was billed as an improvement to Dante's goofy bullshit (the reason he is so beloved) but it was this weirdly political slant that contains a LITERAL sniper rifle abortion as well as a Fox News boss fight, and even more damning, we were given a combat system that was more on par with God of War than with Devil May Cry. Going from DMC4 to DmC was absolutely disappointing for who wanted a very high skill ceiling. I just replayed both of those games and they honestly both hold up fine, but I will always skip every cutscenes in DMC forever.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
touhou shmups are trash compared to cave shmups

dodonpachi is better than battle garegga and YGW's rank systems are the cancer of shmups

e: also, something that shouldnt be controversial: g-darius is the best darius game

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 22, 2017

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Joining the Institute in Fallout 4 is the most logical and moral choice but the retards at Bethesda made it the only "evil" ending.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Maya Fey posted:

Quake 2 had COLORED LIGHTING. :catdrugs:

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

MOBA's are the pinnacle of competitive online gaming and very fun, but esports is solely the realm of autisms and i respect people less if they enjoy it.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

a bone to pick posted:

Joining the Institute in Fallout 4 is the most logical and moral choice but the retards at Bethesda made it the only "evil" ending.
How did the Brotherhood ending end? I thought that was supposed to be "evil" too?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

How did the Brotherhood ending end? I thought that was supposed to be "evil" too?

I think you have to kill the Railroad? Which, all things considered, isn't really "evil" because they were a tragically misguided movement.

It's like evil-lite, or diet evil.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Maya Fey posted:

There's an interesting documentary about id somewhere on youtube that stresses after Quake was released (and Romero started sniffing his farts and left) how John Carmack only really cared about pushing new technology limits at the expense of the games themselves.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
wolf3d > doom

ones a stealth action game the other is a "just shoot it until it dies lol"

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Bust Rodd posted:

I don't think that DmC is bad, and even the now dead DmC thread agreed that it was a fine action game, it just didn't need to be a DmC game. it's just that the story/lore reboot was billed as an improvement to Dante's goofy bullshit (the reason he is so beloved) but it was this weirdly political slant that contains a LITERAL sniper rifle abortion as well as a Fox News boss fight, and even more damning, we were given a combat system that was more on par with God of War than with Devil May Cry. Going from DMC4 to DmC was absolutely disappointing for who wanted a very high skill ceiling. I just replayed both of those games and they honestly both hold up fine, but I will always skip every cutscenes in DMC forever.

the fox news boss owns really hard though

as does the club level

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

SpaceClown posted:

wolf3d > doom

ones a stealth action game the other is a "just shoot it until it dies lol"

Wolfenstein isn't stealth in the slightest wtf.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Irradiation posted:

Doom is the stealth game

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Irradiation posted:

wolf3d is definitely all about the stealth and utilizing ambushes to your advantage.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

in F4 i think the railroad is supposed to be the clearcut good choice, but their morals are placated on the idea that androids are human, when they're factually not. You can watch the human-like ones being assembled. They're made specifically to increase the limited labor pool of the institute, and that's basically it. The institute is dumb for needing realistic synths for whatever reason, but the railroad is dumber for making the liberation of androids their hill to die on, and it makes bethesda really dumb for thinking that making the good guys idiots and the "bad" buys a bunch of well meaning nerds fully intent on improving life on the surface for humans, and the Brotherhood Of Steel East Coast Division having clearly reverted to their roots of morally grey militaristic technology hoarding, are the closest thing to an organized overt bad guy

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
lol @ people discussing fallout 4 to this degree like bethesda put that much thought into it

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

in F4 i think the railroad is supposed to be the clearcut good choice, but their morals are placated on the idea that androids are human, when they're factually not. You can watch the human-like ones being assembled. They're made specifically to increase the limited labor pool of the institute, and that's basically it. The institute is dumb for needing realistic synths for whatever reason, but the railroad is dumber for making the liberation of androids their hill to die on, and it makes bethesda really dumb for thinking that making the good guys idiots and the "bad" buys a bunch of well meaning nerds fully intent on improving life on the surface for humans, and the Brotherhood Of Steel East Coast Division having clearly reverted to their roots of morally grey militaristic technology hoarding, are the closest thing to an organized overt bad guy

Yeah and there are missions with the Institute that show that a lot of the synths that the Railroad reprogram end up being bandit leaders and other wasteland scumbags. imo the Railroad has good intentions but overall they're horribly misguided and don't benefit the world at all, just pumping fake humans into it that are just as lovely as real humans.

Its like Bethesda was trying to show each faction is morally ambiguous (besides the minutemen) but hamfisted the endings to show a clear bias towards certain factions.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

bag em and tag em posted:

The death of the space flight sim genre is a tragedy. X-Wing and Descent: Freespace were kicking rad and we need more of that in our lives.

The x-wing thing on PS VR was really good for a free, short tech demo.
If they made it a full game that was more of the same with a bit of polish and a storyline, maybe multiplayer dogfights, everyone that bought the vr helmet would buy it and people on the fence about vr might be persuaded to buy a helmet.

But it seems like disney hate money or something else they would've released the original star wars films on blu ray with a bit of cleaning up and better audio tracks already.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

SpaceClown posted:

lol @ people discussing fallout 4 to this degree like bethesda put that much thought into it

i know reading as much as what i posted is asking too much, in all sincerity, but my post is basically pointing out the obvious and kind of criticizing bethesda. can't speak for everyone else but i'm not terribly happy with how Bethesda writes morality when Obsidian and CD Projekt Red consistently show them up.

It's still fun to talk about because I haven't done a BoS or Railroad run yet, and maybe they flesh out enough to justify their stupidity, but the BoS seems straight up fascist and the railroad so incredibly misguided that I kind of can't believe bethesda missed the mark so hard

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

FPS games that limit you to holding like 2 guns in single player are trash. gently caress you I wanna be a super soldier with all the guns in the world.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
arma is great fukc u

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

someone gave me a free ARMA key, and i redeemed it, but i have never installed it or played it, ever. Is it worth my time? I don't mind tactical stuff but im not super thrilled about it, and i know that's arma's shtik. is there a fun game underneath the tryhard nonsense?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

basic hitler posted:

i know reading as much as what i posted is asking too much, in all sincerity, but my post is basically pointing out the obvious and kind of criticizing bethesda. can't speak for everyone else but i'm not terribly happy with how Bethesda writes morality when Obsidian and CD Projekt Red consistently show them up.

bethesda needs to stop trying to tell stories. their strength is creating big fantasy world simulations, not linear stories. i put many hundreds of hours into the elder Scrolls games going back all the way to Daggerfall, and i have never bothered to beat a single one of them. the "main quest" was always the most boring aspect!

if Bethesda wants to make a good Fallout game they should do a procedural map of the entire wasteland United States, and fill it with randomly generated bandit factions and cities. let everyone explore their hometown as the wastelands. maybe throw a story somewhere off in the corner, but dont put too much effort into it.

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer
Paperboy was better on the NES than in the arcade.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Rutibex posted:

bethesda needs to stop trying to tell stories. their strength is creating big fantasy world simulations, not linear stories. i put many hundreds of hours into the elder Scrolls games going back all the way to Daggerfall, and i have never bothered to beat a single one of them. the "main quest" was always the most boring aspect!

if Bethesda wants to make a good Fallout game they should do a procedural map of the entire wasteland United States, and fill it with randomly generated bandit factions and cities. let everyone explore their hometown as the wastelands. maybe throw a story somewhere off in the corner, but dont put too much effort into it.

They'd sure stand a better chance if they dropped all the chosen-one b.s. that basically redounds to a depressing, fatalistic world. In the words of Creeper, I don't want to work, I just want to bang on my drum.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

someone gave me a free ARMA key, and i redeemed it, but i have never installed it or played it, ever. Is it worth my time? I don't mind tactical stuff but im not super thrilled about it, and i know that's arma's shtik. is there a fun game underneath the tryhard nonsense?

yeah but you'll probably give up because it takes a long time to git gud.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

basic hitler posted:

No

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Rutibex posted:

If they do that they really badly need to be joint ventures with better storytellers. New Vegas is a legitimately good fallout game where the story is the main draw
The New Vegas thread in games is still active with tons of discussion with ropekid/josh sawyer sharing his thoughts since he was a senior or lead game designer on it. People still talk about and argue about which sides and stories are the best, not merely the least lovely.

I get what you're saying and TES works as a cumulative experience most of the time.(excrpt pblivipn straight up sucks except maybe a few dark brotherhood moments), but fallout deserves to be more than "elder scrolls, but post apocalyptic retro futurr"

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
the key to enjoying arma is to play through the campaign to get a feel for it and then play scenarios

arma 3 has a bunch of randomly generating scenarios that are super fun. i recommend dynamic recon ops and dynamic universal war system rebirth.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I just have arma 1 and no intention of paying for anything soon except maybe contributing to the pillars of eternity 2 fundraiser if they do slacker backer

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

the witcher 1 does video game sex better than any of the mass effects

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Rutibex posted:

For real tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Railroad is the best faction in Fallout 4 and are the one I stuck with for a marathon playthrough after getting all the other faction endings.