Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Does anyone have Night in the Woods? I saw a friend streaming it and it looks real cute and neat, but I wanna know what other people think of it

its fun for 20 bucks, you can beat it in a weekend easily. it's a pretty chill game.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810967

i made a thread for it!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Today's news makes me want to play some more Stellaris.

tell me more about this news. and what stellaris is

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

eonwe posted:

tell me more about this news. and what stellaris is

Stellaris is a space grand strategy / 4X game developed by Paradox Interactive.

Today's big news story (for now) is that NASA discovered 7 possibly Earthlike exoplanets 39 light-years away

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh gotcha! Im really bad at 4X games

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. When you're talking about video games that isn't impossible. The new Nier game for example is a Platinum action game and thus more/less likely to be to someone's appeal than the previous games. Liking RE4 doesn't mean you liked R1-3 and vice versa.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE6n2KGbaZ0

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Brian Vigneault, known to some as “PoShYbRiD” on Twitch, mysteriously disappeared in the middle of his most recent 24-hour charity stream on Sunday. Vigneault took a quick break from his live stream for a smoke break, not uncommon for some streamers during extended streaming sessions, but he never returned. He was found passed out and unresponsive by Virginia Beach police about an hour later and pronounced dead on the scene.

rip that guy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You know what my favorite part of Nier's ridiculously convoluted backstory is? There are like two events total from that backstory that are actually relevant to the plot of Nier. The vast majority of the crazy wars and the international politics and all the stuff with the Legion and all the connections to Drakengard are this huge, complex, weird as hell story that they wrote just because gently caress it, why not, it's rad as hell. All that really matters is White Chlorination Syndrome, the Gestalt Project, the Black Scrawl, and the way Gestalts and Replicants diverged. Everything else is totally bonkers and totally irrelevant and I love it.

And then apparently most of what happened in Nier isn't even relevant for Nier: Automata so :v:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

f

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Agreed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Brian Vigneault, known to some as “PoShYbRiD” on Twitch, mysteriously disappeared in the middle of his most recent 24-hour charity stream on Sunday. Vigneault took a quick break from his live stream for a smoke break, not uncommon for some streamers during extended streaming sessions, but he never returned. He was found passed out and unresponsive by Virginia Beach police about an hour later and pronounced dead on the scene.

rip that guy

That sucks.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

creepy castle has really good music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHBiN1iIfR4

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yo why did no one tell me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2rG-mTfelE

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I bought Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright and I'm very very bad at it. I tried out hard at first but switched to normal classic cause hard was too hard for me :shobon:.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ok that's uh, maybe not, the best, uh... you know what, never mind.

You can donate to that guy's gofundme for his funeral if you want.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm either going to buy a PS4 Pro or a Nintendo Switch soon and I can't decide which one. On the PS4 Pro front, I already have a PS4, but that means I can sell that to make up like half the cost of the Pro if Craigslist prices in my area are anything to go by, so the Pro's going to ultimately be cheaper than the Switch. However, I also don't have a 4k TV, so I won't get the most that I could out of the PS4 Pro. I'm in it for the smoother frame rates on some games and the fact that some games are only actually going to be 1080p on the Pro at all.

On the other hand, I won't be able to get a Switch for a while, judging by how they're all sold out, and I'd probably only play Breath of the Wild on it for several months anyway. But I'd also be able to play Breath of the Wild in 1080p and be set up for when Nintendo starts to release more games for it later.

The better answer is probably "don't buy either" but drat it, I like my stupid video game toys.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

I'm either going to buy a PS4 Pro or a Nintendo Switch soon and I can't decide which one. On the PS4 Pro front, I already have a PS4, but that means I can sell that to make up like half the cost of the Pro if Craigslist prices in my area are anything to go by, so the Pro's going to ultimately be cheaper than the Switch. However, I also don't have a 4k TV, so I won't get the most that I could out of the PS4 Pro. I'm in it for the smoother frame rates on some games and the fact that some games are only actually going to be 1080p on the Pro at all.

On the other hand, I won't be able to get a Switch for a while, judging by how they're all sold out, and I'd probably only play Breath of the Wild on it for several months anyway. But I'd also be able to play Breath of the Wild in 1080p and be set up for when Nintendo starts to release more games for it later.

The better answer is probably "don't buy either" but drat it, I like my stupid video game toys.

Best plan: save your money for now, get BOTW on Wii U, buy a Switch when it gets more games, never buy a Pro

I steadfastly refuse to buy incremental upgrades until and unless something happens to my old one. I did finally get a New 3DS but only because I got it cheap and my old one was wearing out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Civ V with all the expansions is, no hyperbole, one of the ten best games in the history of video games

City builders and 4x'ers are the only reasons I'm sad I don't do computer gaming anymore. Oh well. They're such a time sink anyway (keep telling yourself that, Lobok).

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mr E posted:

I bought Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright and I'm very very bad at it. I tried out hard at first but switched to normal classic cause hard was too hard for me :shobon:.

Birthright gives you map grinding, so be prepared to bowl over the whole game soon, regardless of initial difficulty.

Specifically it is somewhat difficult until the story split, where birthright really starts showing its easy colors.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Best plan: save your money for now, get BOTW on Wii U, buy a Switch when it gets more games, never buy a Pro

I steadfastly refuse to buy incremental upgrades until and unless something happens to my old one. I did finally get a New 3DS but only because I got it cheap and my old one was wearing out.

I was tempted by a New 3DS at first because portable Xenoblade sounds fun and I really wanted that extra camera nub for Monster Hunter. Oh, and portable Hyrule Warriors that actually runs with a playable frame rate sounds nice, too. But ultimately it's probably not worth it for the same reasons upgrading from a PS4 to a PS4 Pro probably isn't worth it.

But drat it, I want my 1080p/60fps Nioh. But also it probably just doesn't matter at all if I don't have a 4k TV. Like, going by Digital Foundry's video, Horizon Zero Dawn on a standard PS4 and a PS4 Pro will look and run basically the same unless you have a 4k TV and can enjoy the Pro version's higher resolution.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Harrow posted:

I'm either going to buy a PS4 Pro or a Nintendo Switch soon and I can't decide which one.
You're looking at maybe 5 FPS more in Boost Mode for some older PS4 games when that firmware hits from what I've seen, and questionable defect rate that may mean you want to splash for a replacement plan for the Pro as well. You could do it for your own amusement I guess but keep in mind the extra hassle if you want to transfer your data, especially if you've upgraded to 2TB already since the Pro only has 1TB.

It's a good thing that you may have to wait a bit to get a Switch and a good thing it will take you months on top of that to get through Zelda because it will probably take at least that long before another must have game comes out, depending on your opinion of ports, sequels and remakes.

Your best bet is to just get let yourself splurge on some cool new games and don't get saddled with hardware you don't need and the issues that go with that. Not as shiny but more bang for the buck and fewer regrets.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CrashCat posted:

Your best bet is to just get let yourself splurge on some cool new games and don't get saddled with hardware you don't need and the issues that go with that. Not as shiny but more bang for the buck and fewer regrets.

Buying tons of games and only the bare minimum of hardware to run them. That's the way I live my life

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:yeah:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, that makes sense. I appreciate the advice actually. I didn't realize just how minor Boost Mode really is or how small the difference is on some newer games that have Pro patches.

Now let's see if I can fix my old-model PS4's little "constantly eject the disc in the drive" problem...

CrashCat posted:

It's a good thing that you may have to wait a bit to get a Switch and a good thing it will take you months on top of that to get through Zelda because it will probably take at least that long before another must have game comes out, depending on your opinion of ports, sequels and remakes.

Luckily I'm fine with sequels and remakes (and enhanced ports). I'm down for Mario Kart 8 on the Switch (though I will never understand how they didn't get that ready for launch) and Splatoon 2 and stuff.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 22, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. I appreciate the advice actually. I didn't realize just how minor Boost Mode really is or how small the difference is on some newer games that have Pro patches.

Now let's see if I can fix my old-model PS4's little "constantly eject the disc in the drive" problem...

For many games with Pro patches the difference is literally just MSAA being on or off because the devs can't be bothered to do support for actual higher resolutions. If you're gonna watch 4k Blu-ray and stuff tho I guess it's a useful purchase

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You also have to contend with people making pro patches that outright break certain aspects of the game, like World of Final Fantasy's initial pro patch loving up the fov, or the recent patch for FFXV that makes it run shittier while technically raising the framerate.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In the UK the Wii U version of Zelda is out of stock on Amazon and Game is selling it for £60 :eyepop:

I hope I can find it at an ok price on release day

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Harrow posted:

You know what my favorite part of Nier's ridiculously convoluted backstory is? There are like two events total from that backstory that are actually relevant to the plot of Nier. The vast majority of the crazy wars and the international politics and all the stuff with the Legion and all the connections to Drakengard are this huge, complex, weird as hell story that they wrote just because gently caress it, why not, it's rad as hell. All that really matters is White Chlorination Syndrome, the Gestalt Project, the Black Scrawl, and the way Gestalts and Replicants diverged. Everything else is totally bonkers and totally irrelevant and I love it.

And then apparently most of what happened in Nier isn't even relevant for Nier: Automata so :v:

I was mostly following up until the part where after the end of Nier the Earth is invaded by aliens, who are the antagonists (I think?) of Nier Automata.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It looks so good! Very puzzley.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I got my PS4 Pro for a little over 60 bucks after trading in my old PS4, 3DS XL, and phone to my local game shop and that was worth getting 1080p 60 FPS Nioh for me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mr E posted:

I got my PS4 Pro for a little over 60 bucks after trading in my old PS4, 3DS XL, and phone to my local game shop and that was worth getting 1080p 60 FPS Nioh for me.

Is Nioh not in 1080p in the 60fps mode on the standard PS4? I thought it was but maybe it's in 720 or 900 instead.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CJacobs posted:

Is Nioh not in 1080p in the 60fps mode on the standard PS4? I thought it was but maybe it's in 720 or 900 instead.

On standard PS4 the options are 720/60 or 1080/30 if it's the same as during the demo periods.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

It uses dynamic resolution shifting. It mostly stays at 720p but will jump up when there is less load

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

crash bandicoot trilogy is a timed playstation exclusive apparently. other platforms not confirmed but it'd be funny if original crash games got on a nintendo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I remember a Nintendo Power review of a Crash Bandicoot kart racer and you could tell the reviewers were high fiving each other when it turned out the game was poo poo and they could take a giant dump on it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i never played it but i believe crash team racing reviewed well and is fondly remembered

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CTR was good but there are weird people who insist it's still the best kart racing game ever somehow

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

1. Diddy Kong Racing
2. Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed
3. Crash Team Racing
4. Mario Kart 64
5. Everything else

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I unlocked that clock guy in DKR because i'm a loving masochist

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

rip that guy

As sad as any untimely death is, at least thanks to his streaming carrier his dead body was found in hours instead of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

1. Diddy Kong Racing
2. Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed
3. Crash Team Racing
4. Mario Kart 64
5. Everything else

Have you played Mario Kart 8

• Locked thread