Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Krycek posted:

I finally took a break from playing Elite, an actual spaceship game, to go and get my money back from the crobblits.

Good job commando o4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

darkarchon posted:

loving :same:

People are slowly waking up :getin:

I like the way that people who have the word "Logical" as part of their name on the RSI forums are anything but. :D

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Dont Buy tihs game

:gary:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Star Citizen: i feel like i am dumbed

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

starkebn posted:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sadly he was probably quite an articulated individual until he played the mess. That was the best the remaining neurons could come up with.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

starkebn posted:

The main problem with the Star Citizen thread is the rate at which titles are spawned.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

this reminds me of some pretty intense claustrophobia nightmares i had as a kid and i don't love it

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

:toot:

hey that's like exactly one nintendo switch

even haters of the switch cannot deny that it is a thing that exists

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

The main problem with the Star Citizen thread is the rate at which titles are spawned.

Are you trying to slack off your mod duties? We need a Dow Jones ticker for the thread title.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Krycek posted:

I finally took a break from playing Elite, an actual spaceship game, to go and get my money back from the crobblits.

Congrats!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

alf_pogs posted:

this reminds me of some pretty intense claustrophobia nightmares i had as a kid and i don't love it

CIG really needs to change tack on their marketing and pitch Star Citizen as Silent Hill In Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

CIG really needs to change tack on their marketing and pitch Star Citizen as Silent Hill In Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace.

adding some sort of physics-defying body-horror cosmic terror plot elements to the game would really spice it up for me

not spice it up to "worth buying" but i'd certainly read wikipedia entries about it

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

Be careful watching the news.

Can't fault anything you said there, although you should load balance those devices to get the best out of them.

Used to run servers in Telehouse (Telford) and Linx (London); one of my minions managed to 'halt' a server rather than reboot, which led to an entertaining road trip. That's before they offered the golden pinkie to go power cycle the device. Good times.

We have both, although the co-lo stuff is largely getting stuffed into AWS or into specific hives that that are managed. We sold one of our datacenters recently for $10 million, and Frankfurt's currently on the chopping block, which leaves us with four.

Fortune 500, upper 20 or so. I'm merely a tool monkey with extra bitching powers.

It is.

Agreed on all points.

Moving to the cloud is always on a case by case basis. Anyone who thinks that we would rather spend over $250K on hardware, plus an average of $5K per month on colo fees because I want to throw money away when I can be on the "cloud", is an ignorant fool.

For one thing, the bespoke network architecture we built for this game, would be a pain to migrate to the cloud. And virtualized servers still won't give us performance benefits that we would need.

Not to mention the in/out bandwidth spikes and all that; this being a REAL TIME game whereby, even a client just sitting there doing NOTHING at all, is using up some bandwidth processing.

And every aspect of our Dell servers can be updated. They all have iDRAC cards which also give us direct hw access to them. The only downside is when we want to upgrade cpu, hdd or ram, we have to order the stuff, have it shipped to the datacenter; then either go there and do it, or pay a $300+ fee to have the data center techs do it.

If it was cheaper or best for the game to be on the cloud, we'd be on the cloud. Unlike ED and Star Citizen, the game isn't instanced. So we don't have dynamic on-demand sessions. The good part is that since the final game is going to be session based anyway; while we will be the only ones running dedicated servers, our costs are going to remain manageable since we won't be paying for client bandwidth, only the bandwidth for our databases and master servers. And that's why you have services like pingperfect.com where anyone can setup their own dedicated game servers if they want. And we will be supporting that out of the box as that means people who buy the game, can continue to play it, regardless of whether or not we have servers for them to play on.

The danger of what backers aren't paying attention is that if/when CIG folds, the game is dead. There is no way to play it once they stop paying the server and backend bills. Similar applies to ED, though we already know that they aren't going anywhere.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Xaerael posted:

That "chit" thread is going to be a catalyst for revolt. So many of the once stalwart whales are in there being pissy about giving more.

It's totally a begging thread that was generated in-house. My gut says that the clock is seriously ticking loudly for them to secure further significant funding.

I think so too.

Thing is, in Jan/Feb of 2016, they pulled in over $4.7m. This Jan/Feb, they've barely crested $2.7m. Considering their burn rate, I'm sure they've been in a panic since Dec when they blew their load (the lies) with gamecom and citizencon.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Krycek posted:

:perfect:
:five::five::five::five:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Bullet Train on Oculus Touch is fun

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

D_Smart posted:

I think so too.

Thing is, in Jan/Feb of 2016, they pulled in over $4.7m. This Jan/Feb, they've barely crested $2.7m. Considering their burn rate, I'm sure they've been in a panic since Dec when they blew their load (the lies) with gamecom and citizencon.

And if they'd just continued working on the game instead of diverting most of their resources into making bullshit special convention demos, they probably would have something to show by now and could keep a steady flow of pledges.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Did anyone say "the chit hit the fans" yet?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ComfyPants posted:

And if they'd just continued working on the game instead of diverting most of their resources into making bullshit special convention demos, they probably would have something to show by now and could keep a steady flow of pledges.

No, they wouldn't. Crobblers would have demanded everything be "refactored" every time he saw a new movie or played a new game. History has made it pretty clear that step one in making a good space game is to make sure Chris Roberts has no authority over it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

what a load of poo poo.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

TheAgent posted:

when it comes out of alpha. right now anyone can preview it

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC

I open this up, click on general chat, and I'm greeting with that picture of the cartoon girl playing a game in the cockpit, with her tiny shorts falling off (you all know the one)...

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Propagandist posted:

Did anyone say "the chit hit the fans" yet?

LOL! You just did. :grin:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

On one hand Chris is a perfectionist who doesn't want to release anything unpolished, on the other hand we have the PU.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Ah yeah, those were simpler times. Back when the dreams were flowing uninterrupted.

Bookmark the next 3 months - March 2016 (Edited April 2016)

quote:

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that the next 3 months leading up to July are going to be memorable in the development timeline of Star Citizen and the PU. Something we'll look back on and think 'yeah, that was when it started to realise it's potential'.

I believe we are going to start seeing S42 assets and development released into the baby pu over the next 3 months: shopping, FPS aboard the Starfarer, planetary landing (bit of a game changer that one), new locations, female characters, currency and more. I'm excited.

Check out 10 for the Erin, specifically at 16:08:

Edit: the latest dev report as of 10th April 2016:

Extracts from CIG dev announcements re shopping:

Development

The major focus during the month of March here in Austin has been Shopping!

By this I do not mean that we all went to the mall together to pick up the hottest fashion trends, but rather we focused on driving the features to completion that are required to get the shop environments functional for players. Lead Designer Rob Reininger has been driving various subfeatures like the Single-Item Transaction UI and flow and the shop environment item setup. Pete Mackay has been driving the pricing of all the various items that we will be selling in the shops.

This has required much coordination between our Design and Community teams in LA and our Design Director Todd Papy and Pete has handled it just swimmingly. We’re now implementing the established prices into DataForge where they will exist statically until we bring our formulaic solution online.

The items will be able to be purchased with a new currency we’ve established, internally called Alpha Currency. This currency exists for the sole purpose of testing out these prices and balancing the game, and will exist separately from UEC or REC. At any point we’ll be able to wipe Alpha Currency and start fresh if something goes awry, and this will help us nail down final pricing numbers before we go Live.

Along with the Shopping frontend comes the work being done to support the Shopping backend. The Server Team here in Austin has been setting up the ability to add/subtract Alpha Currency in game and handing it off to the UI and Design teams in the UK to use for the shopping interface and providing alpha currency rewards via completing missions.

This work is part of Persistence as a whole, which made significant progress this month. We finally integrated Persistence into our main development stream, which means we can’t go back to the way things were before and Persistence is here to stay.

Engineering

This month, it was all about shopping and figuring out the best way to give you a perfect shopping experience. This feature has many elements that required a cool collaboration between us and the other studios. Which, so far, has been a lot of fun.

We created a new AR-based shopping interface for clothes and personal weapons. Also a Catalog-based shopping system for vehicle components.

With the different types of clothes that you can buy, we had to create a tryout camera to enable the players to preview them on their character.

There was also work on a new shop inventory and layout randomizer.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Tokamak posted:

On one hand Chris is a perfectionist who doesn't want to release anything unpolished, on the other hand we have the PU.

Yeah, see what you mean. Earlier today was greeted with a cartoon picture of a picture of toast since apparently Toast made an appearance between working legalese to defend CIG's interests.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
Wolf Larsen presents...THE MEASURE OF A SPACE MAN – PART 1

quote:

Perhaps, the success of Star Citizen will not be in the technical achievements, the numbers, or even in the gameplay itself. Perhaps the success will come in the community itself and what we shared with each other. The game is still a long way from being finished but the community is much more than just an ordinary gamers community, it is more akin to family.

Sometimes it’s a little bit of dysfunctional family that likes to bicker a little too much, but it is easy, for anyone who has ears to hear and eyes to see, to know that this doesn’t happen much. Life long relationships formed from thousands of miles away made “reality” at CitizenCon when hands grasped in friendship. Seeing Sandi break down in tears for being overwhelmed with the appreciation of the good people cheering her on the stage. Podcasts that give some entertainment to someone while on a long commute to work. BarCitizens that let us meet and drink with strangers who we share common ground with. Not since the anomaly that was World of Warcraft have so many from so far away been brought together, that is not to be ignored. WE are a success already, whatever follows is just icing on the cake.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://www.change.org/p/cloud-imperium-games-prove-your-claim-of-open-development

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.......Ha ha ha.

Because what you really were buying with your thousands of dollars in jpgs was a family.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

quote:

The simplest measurement of them all, did you have a pleasant experience and come back for more? According to CIG’s leaderboards, there are a lot of space men and women who keep coming back for more and more Arena Commander. Some folks have even acquired more than a hundred hours in just one of those games, which doesn’t account for the time spent in the PU or other game features.

lol is this even remotely true

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Word on the street is that with every Ryzen 1800x you get a free 350r.

BDSSE saved

Tax:
https://i.imgur.com/zYOCpJj.gifv

Bonus tax:
http://i.imgur.com/J1EpojF.gifv

Scare tax:
https://i.imgur.com/y3nefos.mp4

VealCutlet fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 23, 2017

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

alf_pogs posted:

$175 for a jpeg of a videogame spaceship

$175 for dlc

fuckin hell

*presale dlc

to play in a burning dumpster full of piss babies

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Seriously?

Well thanks, bud! :negative:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

alf_pogs posted:

lol is this even remotely true

quote:

There must be something in there that they liked or they wouldn’t spend days worth of time doing it, right?

There are literally thousands of 100+ hour negative reviews on Steam soooooo

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

god drat who would play this poo poo for more than 2 hours let alone 100

oh wait

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

quote:

Perhaps, the success of Star Citizen will not be in the technical achievements, the numbers, or even in the gameplay itself. Perhaps the success will come in the community itself and what we shared with each other. The game is still a long way from being finished but the community is much more than just an ordinary gamers community, it is more akin to family.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Tokamak posted:

I never understood why nobody has really hammered that point everywhere. I just don't get that one glaring and obvious flaw in that reasoning. :negative:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

tbf the manson family was also a family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Breetai posted:

Everyone should read the entirety of the Chit thread because it's the posting equivalent of pre-tremours for the ELE.

It's seriously 95% people saying that they're done with funding and that CIG's performance is poo poo. There's even open admissions that the project is likely to fail. :allears:

I was just starting to see the light and consider buying in! Now I'm scared off. :ohdear: