Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I posted the PreRec review because it's garbage.

They've been very disappointing lately, or maybe they always were.

I hope companies keep pumping out Soulslike games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I beat Street Fighter by just doing crouch kick. Sucks that combos or special moves aren't a core mechanic. Gets really repetitive doing crouch kicks.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I feel you Belzac. I mean, except for speedrunners.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I'm halfway through the game and spend 90% of the time in high stance kusarigama because I really like it and I'm not very good at stance timing. That said I know everything would be more fluid and go better for me if I integrated stance changing and more weapon variety to my play, to say that stances aren't a core mechanic is completely ridiculous

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Huzanko posted:

I posted the PreRec review because it's garbage.

They've been very disappointing lately, or maybe they always were.

I hope companies keep pumping out Soulslike games.

I've only ever seen two of their reviews and I found them both to be uninformed and kinda crap so if they were ever good I missed that entirely.

I also hope more Soulslike games come out, but at the same time, I hope they all try to actually do something new and exciting like Nioh does. Lords of the Fallen was really boring and it made me wary of anything that takes mechanics from Souls, but Nioh does its own thing and is way better for it. I know there's a new sci-fi Soulslike coming from the Lords of the Fallen people that looks a bit more promising (it looks like they actually decided to make it look like your melee hits have impact, wow!) but I'm pretty skeptical anyway.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Belzac posted:

The PreRec "review" only reviews as far as they got which is the first 4 main levels. If you choose not to learn the game and treat it like japsouls you're gonna have a bad time and post like CharlestheHammer. Don't do this.

I am going fine. They game is enjoyable enough just has flaws whether you accept that or not is up to you. Though they never say how far they got so I don't know where you got that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I never switched weapons in my playthrough, and I did stick in mostly high stance kusarigama for most of it too. But when I actually started using low stance and switching stances in a fight my effectiveness basically tripled.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am going fine. They game is enjoyable enough just has flaws whether you accept that or not is up to you. Though they never say how far they got so I don't know where you got that.

I still want to know whether you think parrying, the dodge move, weapon switching, sub-weapons, and Zandatsu are core mechanics in Metal Gear Rising or not. You can beat the game on Normal while ignoring all of those if you really want to, and it won't even be super difficult, just repetitive and not nearly as fun. (Okay, some bosses require you to cut something in Blade Mode in a glorified QTE, but I'm talking about doing the slash-and-grab Zandatsu move.) Does that mean all of those things are not core mechanics, even though they're what make the game fun and unique?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

I've only ever seen two of their reviews and I found them both to be uninformed and kinda crap so if they were ever good I missed that entirely.

I also hope more Soulslike games come out, but at the same time, I hope they all try to actually do something new and exciting like Nioh does. Lords of the Fallen was really boring and it made me wary of anything that takes mechanics from Souls, but Nioh does its own thing and is way better for it. I know there's a new sci-fi Soulslike coming from the Lords of the Fallen people that looks a bit more promising (it looks like they actually decided to make it look like your melee hits have impact, wow!) but I'm pretty skeptical anyway.

I like the mainline RLM stuff and I used to watch quite a lot of PreRec on YouTube and Twitch. They have gotten very bitter and negative lately; they used to be fun and enjoyed things. I don't get it.

Lords of the Fallen was disappointing. I played it for about an hour and put it down. The developers' past titles didn't instill any confidence either.

Here's their Sci-Fi soulslike if anyone is interested: http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/11/11185580/the-surge-gameplay-dark-souls-lords-of-the-fallen

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, The Surge looks better than Lords of the Fallen, if only because it has a more unique setting and your melee hits actually have impact instead of having zero hit-pause and a wimpy little "tink" sound. That alone is a worthwhile improvement. Oh, and limb targeting is pretty neat--when you lock on, you can lock on to the target's head or arms and stuff, not just center mass. Bloodborne has that for some larger bosses but it's cool that The Surge has it for normal enemies.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Rolling around puts out the fire status effect. :eyepop: New to me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Rolling around puts out the fire status effect. :eyepop: New to me.

My girlfriend was watching me play and when I got set on fire she said "stop, drop, and roll!" and I laughed a lot when it actually worked.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah I know, I default to that in every game that has a low dodge and I'm disappointed every time it doesn't work.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So whenabouts to I get to join a clan? I just beat Spider Castle. Did I miss a mission?

Oh, hey right at this momen, as it turns out.

IS there a good one to join? An obvious choice?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 22, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Feenix posted:

So whenabouts to I get to join a clan? I just beat Spider Castle. Did I miss a mission?

You need to go back and collect the pieces of the teapot. The game does not tell you what the teapot does.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You get to join the clan no matter what, the teapot seems to do nothing except give you a cheevo.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

CJacobs posted:

You get to join the clan no matter what, the teapot seems to do nothing except give you a cheevo.
And lore.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I thought you needed the teapot and once I got all the bits I was like "wow that's a brutal way to unlock multi".

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I dont know if I got all the pieces of the teapot but I definitely got access to the Hidden Teahouse. Is there an obvious good clan to join?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Feenix posted:

So I dont know if I got all the pieces of the teapot but I definitely got access to the Hidden Teahouse. Is there an obvious good clan to join?

Just look at the perks each clan provides and see which ones you like the best. I picked Date because it gives you more living weapon durability.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Feenix posted:

The one with the stats you like the most.

Tokugawa if you are a scrub, Toyotomi for :homebrew: or Furuta for farming gear and selling stuff.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Feenix posted:

Pick whichever clan you like the perks of best.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Akechi for me. Onmyo all day erryday.

You know, I didn't realise until relatively recently that that was foreshadowing.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
In NG+ can you do a fast mission over and over to fill up you mission bar?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Now that I've got up to 118 or so, i decided to try out the extra missions. Tachibana+Honda wasn't bad, took three tries. A Meeting On The Other Shore, though...I'm not as sure I'm ready for that.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Emron posted:

A Meeting On The Other Shore, though...I'm not as sure I'm ready for that.

That mission is pure justification for "be as cheap as possible". I equipped small spirit stones and basically gave myself infinite living weapon.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Belzac posted:

The PreRec "review" only reviews as far as they got which is the first 4 main levels. If you choose not to learn the game and treat it like japsouls you're gonna have a bad time and post like CharlestheHammer. Don't do this.

That's a weird slur to use while defending a game also made by a Japanese developer.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
That's the joke.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I just beat the centipede thing in the mines today before work and while reading this thread I just learned there's illusion walls. Ugh. About how far am I in the game? Not far I know but I gamefly the game and it's kinda important.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Schroeder91 posted:

I just beat the centipede thing in the mines today before work and while reading this thread I just learned there's illusion walls. Ugh. About how far am I in the game? Not far I know but I gamefly the game and it's kinda important.

You are still very early on, but you can check your progress summary in the prestige menu for a much closer percentage estimate.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I can't be the only person who noticed Time's grandpa Muramasa is literally the very same Muramasa from Ninja Gaiden. Same character model and everything barring the hat I think. He was a time traveling blacksmith wizard all along!. The more I play this game the more I love it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Want to see a good Ninja Gaiden player style with a katana in NG+? Here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxS51HqgiYY

Schroeder91 posted:

You probably should've encountered one of the fake walls already. They're not actually illusion walls--they're nurikabe, a type of yokai that impersonates a wall. Look for a wall with eyes--they'll open them and look at you when you get close. Don't attack, though. They want you to gesture at them. They respond to a certain color of gesture (blue for friendly, yellow for neutral, and red for hostile) and you get two tries to get it right or they attack. The "gesture at them" advice is true of chest mimics, too. They'll do a gesture at you and they want you to repeat it back at them, then they'll do a happy dance and give you treasure.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 23, 2017

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Educate me. Why was he in low stance 90% of the time there?

Edit: and I really need to put more into magic and use more talismans, huh? Right now I only have enough space for sloth and one element. All the good videos look like they have six or so talismans slotted at once so I'm guessing their magic stat is higher than my...10

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 23, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

Educate me. Why was he in low stance 90% of the time there?

Best mobility, probably. If you're quick enough to switch stances during an attack animation, there's no reason not to hang out in low stance, switch stances just to attack, and then switch back to low for mobility.

I am not that quick, so I spend most of my time in mid stance parrying motherfuckers.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

*diligently assigns antiparalytic needles to quick use slot*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh2MyXvEhak

Pppthhbb.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq9WvYuqcUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flVcAl_oXeI

this is the best axe build

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 23, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Boy, if I hadn't learned about knocking Magoichi Saika out of the air from this thread then that battle would have been really, really frustrating.

Thanks, thread! And thank you, Saika, for the bitchin' outfit.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

Want to see a good Ninja Gaiden player style with a katana in NG+? Here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxS51HqgiYY

You probably should've encountered one of the fake walls already. They're not actually illusion walls--they're nurikabe, a type of yokai that impersonates a wall. Look for a wall with eyes--they'll open them and look at you when you get close. Don't attack, though. They want you to gesture at them. They respond to a certain color of gesture (blue for friendly, yellow for neutral, and red for hostile) and you get two tries to get it right or they attack. The "gesture at them" advice is true of chest mimics, too. They'll do a gesture at you and they want you to repeat it back at them, then they'll do a happy dance and give you treasure.

I don't recall ever encountering one! I'll try and keep my eyes peeled, thanks.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

so i'm trying to get the yatagarasu blueprints but gently caress if i can get the guy to drop them any tips for grinding this stuff or something i'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

so i'm trying to get the yatagarasu blueprints but gently caress if i can get the guy to drop them any tips for grinding this stuff or something i'm missing?

farm the other mission with the guy instead, watcher in the darkness or something. it's a 30 second mission and he drops divine parts of his set even on NG so you might end up getting it before you get the smithing text anyway