Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

The Butcher posted:

Also, uhh you attractive millenial types got any ideas about we should run on?

HAHA of course we are just joking, we got this poo poo on lock. Just being ironic, you know?

But yeah, seriously, what the gently caress do you want us to say? We are really loving scraping the bottom of the barrel here and it's getting down to the line.

And as we all know, politics should be decided by what single issue you care about the most at the expense of all others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Friends of friends do some engineering work for gas and they've been bitching that this is the public's fault and the liberals were just trying to be smart and diversify our economy but we just didn't support them enough to get it built fast.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Friends of friends do some engineering work for gas and they've been bitching that this is the public's fault and the liberals were just trying to be smart and diversify our economy but we just didn't support them enough to get it built fast.

If only there were industries besides housing and fossil fuels

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
your'e in luck. vancouver has a thriving tech sector which pumps out world class social media and dog walking apps

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Baronjutter posted:

The projects would have all failed, luckily BC is barely on the line financially for this boondoggle - just the liberals politically.

There is a poo poo ton of natural gas production world wide, there's no reason to be shipping it across the Pacific.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
liberals and ndp are apparently neck and neck in the polls. enjoy another 4 years of christy clark u guys

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

cowofwar posted:

The projects would have all failed, luckily BC is barely on the line financially for this boondoggle - just the liberals politically.

There is a poo poo ton of natural gas production world wide, there's no reason to be shipping it across the Pacific.

Nah it totally wasn't just them wanting engineering and consultancy work. A million LNG jobs. Ethical gas. Enriching first nations communities.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Baronjutter posted:

Nah it totally wasn't just them wanting engineering and consultancy work. A million LNG jobs. Ethical gas. Enriching first nations communities.

The only ethical gas are your own farts

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.scmp.com/news/world/unit...PSocialNewsfeed

quote:

In landmark ruling, Vancouver homebuyer is ordered to repay millions to China’s Citic Bank
Bank pursuing unpaid loan wins US$7.3m ruling - but Chinese buyer could still profit from real estate purchases

China’s Citic Bank has won a landmark judgment in a Canadian court, which ordered a mainland national to repay the bank RMB50 million (US$ 7.3 million), plus interest, that the bank says was spent in part on real estate in Vancouver.

But the plaintiff, Yan Shibiao, could still profit even if he complies with the judgment, since the interest component of the ruling could be exceeded by the increased value of his property in Vancouver, where prices have soared in recent years.

Yan, a Shijiazhuang businessman who the bank said fled to Canada with his family after taking out a RMB50 million loan in 2014, was ordered on Tuesday by the Supreme Court of British Columbia to comply with a Chinese ruling in the bank’s favour.

Madam Justice Shelly Fitzpatrick ruled Yan must repay the full amount of the loan, now worth C$9.6million, plus interest of RMB 2.17 million and costs, under the terms of a March 2016 ruling by the Shijiazhuang Arbitration Committee.

No one attended the BC hearing on behalf of Yan, who could not immediately be reached for comment.

Yan has purchased luxury properties in the Vancouver satellite city of Surrey and lives in a C$3 million Vancouver home owned by his wife, according to court documents lodged by Citic. The couple spent more than C$8 million on the homes in 2014, soon before and soon after the loan went through, the bank claims. The value of the properties has since soared.

One home the bank says was bought by Yan in 2014, on Surrey’s 28th Avenue, was purchased for C$3.18 million, according to BC Assessment. In November 2016, a few months after Citic lodged its claim against Yan in BC, the property was sold for C$4 million, a healthy 25 per cent profit, compared to about 4 per cent interest Citic is now demanding from Yan. The home is currently valued at C$4.72million.

When repayment of the loan fell due in 2015, Citic said Yan could not be found in China, having gone to Canada without informing his creditor. Yan’s Canadian assets have now been frozen.

Vancouver lawyer Christine Duhaime is an anti-money-laundering expert who represents Citic and originally petitioned the BC court on the bank’s behalf last year, although another firm represented Citic at the latest hearing.

She said the case “shows China and their banks that [Canadian asset] recovery is possible in the civil context”.

“There are so many more cases with similar facts of foreign nationals from China who owe vast amounts of debt in unpaid loans that are parked in other countries, that I suspect the floodgates will open to pursuing recovery of those debts. Much of that money is in Canada,” said Duhaime in an interview.

“In our case, the Citic bank is owned by the government of China and so it seems to me that there is greater significance in a successful outcome.”

She said the ruling could “put a bit of a damper on outflows to Canada from China in cases where there are questions hanging over the way the person acquired their wealth”.

China has been working with Canada for years to finalise a deal on the return of ill-gotten assets seized from those suspected of economic crimes. The agreement was originally announced in July 2013 and has not yet been ratified.

But it is rare for Chinese banks to use Canadian courts to pursue those who have left the country.

“By law, our courts have to enforce a foreign arbitration award provided there are no issues with the way it was obtained,” said Duhaime.

She added: “It’s a good case outcome for Canada-China relations, and helps Canada’s reputation in financial crime globally. Finally, Canada has a successful outcome on a financial crime file from China.”

Duhaime said that Yan was in Canada on a visitor’s visa, making it likely he would return to China.

Vancouver has long been the most popular destination city in the world for Chinese millionaire migrants. Many have questioned the legitimacy of Chinese cash flowing into the city, which has helped make the city one of the most unaffordable in the world.

guys this is very bad because it tells mainland chinese that we don't appreciate their money and guanxi and we won't be able to grow our bc economy anymore

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

liberals and ndp are apparently neck and neck in the polls. enjoy another 4 years of christy clark u guys

It's okay polls don't work anymore, just imagine a future where the worst candidate wins the election and it will come true

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

vyelkin posted:

It's okay polls don't work anymore, just imagine a future where the worst candidate wins the election and it will come true

Polls work, it's just that morons interpreting them incorrectly doesn't work anymore

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 26, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Thanks for taking the time to explain specifically what you meant. I understand the term, but in my lived experience (anecdotes ahoy) I haven't specifically noticed it.

I'm the child of a first gen immigrant and an nth gen Canadian, I grew up in a community of many first and second gen immigrants (Brampton center/south), and moved into a community of many first and second gen immigrants (Parkdale, Toronto), I know many of my neighbours and most of my friends are from Toronto. I realize my experience is probably atypical for Canada, which is why I asked for a fleshed out description, because on its face your comment appeared more xenophobic.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Whoa some civil discourse all up in this poo poo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
CI will return momentarily.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'd like to point out, though, that at least in my experience all those concerns start to fade away as soon as you hit the second or third generation of immigrants. It's absolutely true that first-generation immigrants, especially those who migrate as adults and those who have difficulty learning English, experience difficulty integrating into Canadian society and often tend to spend most of their time with other immigrants, which can also cause tension with white Canadians who discriminate against them as a result. But their children tend to be raised as Canadian as anyone culturally and linguistically, and integrate just fine both in their own behaviour and in their interactions with others (for example, because they don't have an accent, they aren't discriminated against as much as their parents who may speak English with thick accents). Just to provide one anecdotal example, my wife's family moved here in the 80s and still have difficult with English. They get by just fine in day-to-day life and both her mom and dad worked long careers in factory jobs (they're now retired) but in their spare time they mostly hang out with extended family who are also immigrants, and they mostly speak Chinese and Vietnamese. The younger generation though, my wife and her sisters and cousins, are all as Canadian as it gets, speak without a trace of an accent, came up through the Canadian school system, and married/had kids with random people from all different racial and social categories.

Is it possible that in the 80s my wife's parents and aunts/uncles contributed to a lack of social cohesion because they were less able to integrate? Absolutely that's possible. But here we are several decades later and their children are contributing to social cohesion by leading integrated lives as part of their local communities. Of course, this is in a fairly white area, so maybe this example wouldn't hold up as well in a place with a larger minority ethnic community like Vancouver, but in my experience (and the history of our country where each wave of immigration is eventually accepted and becomes part of the mainstream) we always have concerns about the social integration of new migrants and within a few decades as we realize that their children are just as Canadian as us, we forget about those concerns.

It's important to note, though, that this relies on having strong institutions, in particular a strong public school system that integrates children of all races and origins together, encouraging them to make friends and lasting social connections across ethnic and cultural lines. The more we atomize our institutions by doing things like defunding public schools and encouraging separate private schools for each cultural community, the more we threaten that kind of intergenerational social cohesion.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

namaste faggots posted:

http://www.scmp.com/news/world/unit...PSocialNewsfeed

guys this is very bad because it tells mainland chinese that we don't appreciate their money and guanxi and we won't be able to grow our bc economy anymore

we'll wash our hands of them, no problem

:downsrim:

Seriously though, isn't the whole point of a penalty to punish someone in a way that discourages others from doing the same thing? You'd think "I stole $7M to invest it, sorry here's the money back I get to keep the dividends though right?" isn't a conversation that should go anywhere.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It's funny how there's all these loopholes for white collar crime. Almost like the system is set up to tacitly endorse it…

It should be noted that according to the article those aren't Canadian penalties, however. It looks like it's Chinese law on the loan fraud, and the Canadian judge was just agreeing to apply it here.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Skippy Granola posted:

Ok ok, Alberta is kind of trash.

But... where else can I go? :ohdear:

Serious answer: the Maritimes have always lagged behind the rest of Canada in everything mostly because our crusty old fucks think Irving will somehow save us (despite not doing so for decades) and a lack of drive to invest into new sectors because they're a bunch of scared poo poo lords. If you have a legitimate idea or know of something out West that isn't here yet you can basically hit the ground floor running and make a good amount of money. You'll also find cheap labour as everyone is looking for work that isn't a call center. Like we just got our first board game cafe here in Saint John like a month ago. Authentic Thai food didn't show up until a few years ago.

Rent is relatively cheap and usually includes utilities. Most of the buildings in the uptown area are subdivided old Victorian homes so all the apartments are generally large. Saint John blows but Moncton and Fredricton are fine for NB. Obviously Halifax for Nova Scotia unless you want to go to the twilight zone of Cape Breton. PEI is pretty boring all around honestly.

But then you'd also have to deal with the mental anguish of living in the Maritimes and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Stretch Marx fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 23, 2017

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I think it's great that jobs didn't appear anywhere in your post of reasons to move to the Maritimes

It's OK you can just become a small business right

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I wish I could find those articles that came out a few years ago outlining how in the business world the perception of someone starting a small business was rapidly changing from a perception of a 'go-getter with gumption to strike it out on their own' to that of an underpaid, underemployed person making a desperate attempt to escape a lovely job situation by starting a small business that would never be able to break in to the market and succeed against the companies that were already only succeeding by both exploiting economy of scale and exploiting their underpaid underemployed workers.

Basically banks that used to throw money by the handful at people looking for small business loans were politely showing these aspiring entrepreneurs the door.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I grew up in Dartmouth actually! I miss the maritimes.

But for real, I sympathize with the push for small business out east - someone has to create some jobs.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
In the race to the bottom what incentive is there for private citizens to create jobs in a market where pretty much every good and / or service a new small business will provide can be obtained at a significantly reduced cost by one of the many gigantic businesses benefiting from economy of scale, depressed wages and the ability to buy the favor of politicians.

We need a planned economy at this point to provide work for those that need it and also do the things that our society desperately needs done but nobody is doing because it costs less to ignore the requirement completely.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

In the race to the bottom what incentive is there for private citizens to create jobs in a market where pretty much every good and / or service a new small business will provide can be obtained at a significantly reduced cost by one of the many gigantic businesses benefiting from economy of scale, depressed wages and the ability to buy the favor of politicians.

We need a planned economy at this point to provide work for those that need it and also do the things that our society desperately needs done but nobody is doing because it costs less to ignore the requirement completely.

My private company is mass hiring right now, want a job?

e: just kidding you're too bitter and cynical

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Naw my bad situation is my own fault cause I'm too proud and ill-natured for retail and too dumb for school.

It's me, The Average Conservative

Edit: no that was a crummy sting. My issue is that I'm very mediocre, poorly educated, none too bright, and lacking talent.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I bet there are some housing bulls that are deeply invested in land in Kitimat or somewhere that are freaking out because those 100,000 jobs and subsequent necessary worker housing aren't going to appear. It was apparent that this LNG plan wasn't going to happen years ago though.

namaste faggots posted:

I think it's great that jobs didn't appear anywhere in your post of reasons to move to the Maritimes

It's OK you can just become a small business right

I guess you could move to the Maritimes if you were independent or your profession didn't rely on any local factors at all (eg. a screenwriter). With technology it's easier to do this than ever before. The developer of The Long Dark is based in Cumberland BC on Northern Vancouver Island (pop 3000) and the team is distributed across NA.

You can do the same thing though living in Montreal and your rent will still be dramatically cheaper than Vancouver/Toronto, so I'm not sure going all the way to the Maritimes is all that necessary.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Argas posted:

The only ethical gas are your own farts

I like spreading the benefits of ethical gas far and wide.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

This is the best part:

quote:

LNG markets often take years for demand and supply to balance out, according to Traya. However the falling costs of renewable energy sources like wind and solar will also pose a challenge to would-be exporters of LNG when markets near a more balanced state.

“The difference is that they now have to compete against renewables in ways that weren’t necessarily conceived or understood before.”

Renewables motherfucker! The market is succeeding where the Canadian political class has failed. Woop woop

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
'Bu-bu-but renewables only work because of massive government subsidies!'

*ignores the massive subsidies provided to fossil fuel producers*

*expects the government to deal with the short and long term environmental impact of fossil fuel use without proper funding because MAH TAXES*

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Just wait until we transition off of fossil fuels for vehicles. That tax revenue will need to shift somewhere, perhaps onto... hydro :bahgawd:

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

A new challenger approaches!

Charlie Angus is in

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
DON'T WORRY THE CRISIS IS OVER, BRIAN PALLISTER WAS ABLE TO DIG DEEP AND FIND FUNDING FOR FOURTEEN(14) BEDS FOR INBOUND REFUGEES

http://www.metronews.ca/news/winnipeg/2017/02/23/manitoba-premier-new-funding-and-emergency-beds-for-refugees.html?platform=hootsuite

quote:

Manitoba premier announces funding, 14 emergency beds for refugees

The province will also deploy extra primary care paramedics to assist volunteers in Emerson, Man.

After calling on the federal government to adopt a "coordinated approach" with the provinces in dealing with the influx of refugee claimants poring over the border, the premier of Manitoba announced his own plans to give emergency resources to agencies helping refugee claimants on Thursday.

Premier Brian Pallister and Minister of Education and Training Ian Wishart were at Welcome Place for a morning press conference to announce 14 emergency beds for temporary shelter, $70,000 in funding for MANSO (Manitoba Association of Newcomer Serving Organizations) and $110,000 for a Welcome Place in 2017-2018.

The money for MANSO will be put toward hiring a refugee response coordinator, while the funding for Welcome Place will provide more access to support services like paralegal advice and transportation from Emerson to Winnipeg for refugee claimants.

"Manitobans have never, ever turned their backs on people," said Pallister. "(Manitoba) is once again the destination for those who dream of a better, safer life. Let's keep working together to make sure those folks, their dreams can come true right here in Manitoba."

Extra primary care paramedics will also be placed in the community of Emerson temporarily to assist volunteers already on the ground, Wishart said. He could not confirm how many paramedics would be dispatched yet.

Pallister said he has encouraged the federal government "to go beyond the talking points of us having had a worse problem 15 years ago and recognize there is a challenge today."

"I don't want this to be taken as a criticism of the federal government," he said. "I see an opportunity here for the federal government that they're not yet pursuing to improve the way we do things and to help make sure that we're addressing the situation that some would fear is getting somewhat out of hand.".

Wishart said an estimated 130 refugee claimants have entered Manitoba so far this year.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Manitoba trying real hard to steal the Worst Province crown away from BC.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Manitoba trying real hard to steal the Worst Province crown away from BC.

I think they won when the mayor of Winnipeg started crying at a press conference because Manitoba is so racist

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
He missed Sharia law in his word salad

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Nothing about fiat currency? Right wing idiot quotient 6/10

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I ended up with tickets to the Manning Conference. How bad could it be?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Look at your avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Frosted Flake posted:

Well, I found the Maning Centre's annual conference much better catered than any NDP convention.