Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Hedrigall posted:

Not sure if the thread covered this yet, but Sing's getting a loving sequel.

Yesterday I was talking to two of the mothers in my office about movies they went to with their kids over the summer. Apparently Sing was the most beloved, and both their kids can't stop singing "Oh my god. Look at her butt." I asked if they also saw Moana, and I got blank looks.

Disney is finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

Yesterday I was talking to two of the mothers in my office about movies they went to with their kids over the summer. Apparently Sing was the most beloved, and both their kids can't stop singing "Oh my god. Look at her butt." I asked if they also saw Moana, and I got blank looks.

Illumination is the Trump of animation.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

Of course it is. So is Secret Life of Pets. I wouldn't be surprised if Minions 3 is already in the planning phase before Minions 2 hits theaters.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I can't tell if Illumination is chock with a) cynical marketers envisioning new ways to wring money out of children or b) deluded creatives who think they're becoming the new Pixar

The fact that they created a "hey we're a big name, recognise us!" logo thing with the minion (aping Pixar's Luxo Jr logo) makes me worry they really do think they're on that level

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I've had 4 or so songs from Moana on loop in my head since I saw the damned movie.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

I can't tell if Illumination is chock with a) cynical marketers envisioning new ways to wring money out of children or b) deluded creatives who think they're becoming the new Pixar

The fact that they created a "hey we're a big name, recognise us!" logo thing with the minion (aping Pixar's Luxo Jr logo) makes me worry they really do think they're on that level
Probably a little of column A, a little of column B. They almost certainly do have creatives who are putting their all into this work, but at the same time what I've gathered is that the end results feel just cynical enough that it's hard to completely write off some marketing exec's influence being a factor.

Though I suppose I should come clean and confess that I liked both Horton Hears the Who and The Lorax. I don't believe the former is a controversial opinion, but the latter seems to be.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 22, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh they did Horton? I thought that was Nickelodeon or something. I have a tiny bit of a soft spot for that film.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Horton Hears a Who was Blue Sky

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Horton Hears a Who was Blue Sky
Oh, so it was. Well, guess I've got some redacting to do. Just kinda assumed all these CG Seuss films were coming from the same team.

I still liked The Lorax.

EDIT: FWIW, reading up on it, it seems Illumination's founder, Chris Meledandri, might've worked on Horton too? But he founded Illumination after that film, so it'd still be disingenuous for me to imply it's an Illumination film.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 22, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

starkebn posted:

I've had 4 or so songs from Moana on loop in my head since I saw the damned movie.

Which ones? I can remember there being a song called You're Welcome but apart from that I though it was very forgettable. And I watched it last week.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Renoistic posted:

Which ones? I can remember there being a song called You're Welcome but apart from that I though it was very forgettable. And I watched it last week.
I'm not starkebn, but I sometimes get bits and pieces of "How Far I'll Go" and "We Know the Way" in my head now and then.

Surprisingly, I don't remember much of "Shiny" at all.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You're Welcome
Shiny
How Far I Will Go
We Know The Way

I listened to the soundtrack once and I have no trouble remembering those.
Edit: and it's either There You Are or Where You Are.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I know all the songs off by heart now :3:

My bf is learning them on piano too! (As well as some Wind Waker stuff)

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

I don't remember much of Shiny either. However, unsettling lyrics aside, I think my favorite song has to be Where You Are. I just really like the melody and rhythm of it. How Far I'll Go is pretty good, too, but it's also a bit too pop-ish?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Where You Are is probably my favourite too. I really love the father's voice. And it's a super playful song with great call and response elements. I get a goofy grin every time from the villagers' various replies:

Consider the coconut! (The what?!)

The village believes in us! (That's right!)

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 22, 2017

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Illumination is an interesting case. Their work is technically proficient but is often empty of actual heart or emotion, or represents the forced emotion of a lesser Disney film. They do, however, have their marketing down to a T, focusing on simple and appealing side characters who will make kiddies go apeshit with joy: with varying success, see the Minions, the bunnies from Hop, the cute forest creatures of Lorax, pretty much every pet from SLOP and, variously, the main characters, pig children and various bit characters from Sing. (I seem to recall a jarring number of cuts to the pig kids reacting to things during Sing, which I later realized was a way for kids who may not care about the main plot to find characters they relate to, even though said characters are literally interchangeable.) Add in that their average animation budgets are around $75 million, which is half of what the average Disney/Pixar film costs, and that means Illumination is a profitability machine. (The lower budgets lead to noticeable quality drops compared to other films. Some of the issues, like stylized characters, actually add to some of their films. Others, like rampant reuse of character models, are easily noticeable.)

The company has benefited heavily from Universal's sale to Comcast, and Comcast's resulting acquisition of Time Warner. This has given them huge inroads for wall-to-wall mass marketing that few other companies have. Not only are their ads played on/in other channels and releases (I say "in" because of poo poo like the Sing ads on the buses in in SLOP), but they're played in a wide variety of commercials for the largest television/internet conglomerate in the world. I haven't even mentioned that the huge corporate connections allow for responsible advertising agencies in the company to pay each other, effectively keeping huge sums of money in-house, nor that the massive array of available opportunities allowed by the corporate partnerships mean that advertising campaigns can spread far and wide. Sing and SLOP both had advertising campaigns that lasted a full year (July to July and February to December, respectively), hugely beneficial and helping lead to their massive success.

Basically, though the company itself puts out middling-to-decent product, the corporate machinations spinning behind the scenes ensures Illumination is going to loving dominate the market for years to come. Which is pretty loving depressing, seeing as how homogeneous most of their films are. (Somehow I've seen them all, though I stopped watching Despicable Me 2 halfway through and would have walked out of Hop had I not been reviewing it for money.)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

You said it, buddy!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I know it's something of heresy around these parts, but I genuinely like the Despicable Me/Minions movies. I 100% recognize that only the first DM movie crosses that line from "enjoyable" to "objectively good movie," but both DM2 and Minions were squarely in that "enjoyable" category for me.

Gru is awesome. Dr. Nefario is awesome. The girls are awesome. Lucy is...okay. I must have the attention span of a gnat because the Minions usually make me laugh rather than groan. And I love the crazy super-villains across the board, what with how they borrow everything absurd from comics, pulp novels, James Bond, and more.

The recent Despicable Me 3 trailer is extremely my poo poo.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Hedrigall posted:

It's definitely in their interest to push their studio as a household name, whether they think they deserve it or not.

I can't wait for people to start saying the new Overwatch trailer "looks just like an Illumination movie." :shepface:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Mierenneuker posted:

You're Welcome
Shiny
How Far I Will Go
We Know The Way

and Logo Te Pate

those Samoan language songs are my jam

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

When I saw frozen in theaters a four year old girl was whistling along to Steamboat Willy

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I still wish More had made the cut over How Far I'll Go. Particularly that reprise.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I wish there were a version of The Dancing and the Dreaming without Goober in it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Das Boo posted:

I still wish More had made the cut over How Far I'll Go. Particularly that reprise.

I get why it didn't. It sounds a bit too similar to Under the Sea, I think.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm so looking forward to the deleted song, Warrior Face, on the blu-ray! I wonder if it was actually recorded by the voice actors, or if they use the demo version from the double CD soundtrack.

Edit: ok, the deleted scenes are all on YouTube already. It's a version of the song with temporary voiceovers, neither Miranda or the real voice actors are on it. Cool animatics too. Shame it was cut, there's way more of the realm of monsters during the song :/

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 23, 2017

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

ConfusedUs posted:

I know it's something of heresy around these parts, but I genuinely like the Despicable Me/Minions movies. I 100% recognize that only the first DM movie crosses that line from "enjoyable" to "objectively good movie," but both DM2 and Minions were squarely in that "enjoyable" category for me.

Gru is awesome. Dr. Nefario is awesome. The girls are awesome. Lucy is...okay. I must have the attention span of a gnat because the Minions usually make me laugh rather than groan. And I love the crazy super-villains across the board, what with how they borrow everything absurd from comics, pulp novels, James Bond, and more.

The recent Despicable Me 3 trailer is extremely my poo poo.

Recently having seen the Despicable Mthree trailer, I almost would say I'm interested if it weren't for the Despicable Me connection. Focusing completely on Trey Parker's character was a nice touch, especially with a gimmick and performance (both animation and voice wise) that I can get behind. Even the 'Naked infront of an office party' gag kinda worked for me, if for the sheer commitment in trying to diffuse the awkwardness/embarrassment. It kinda reminds me of the fact that there were aspects of the first two films I did like. But Kirsten Wiig's character comes in, and I say this liking Kirsten Wiig and not inherently hating the concept of her character, and then the minions, and I'm reminded of why I dislike the high effort, lack of motivation that pervades Illumination.

Plus I got to say it, Pig's snouts aren't noses, Sing.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

I know all the songs off by heart now :3:

My bf is learning them on piano too! (As well as some Wind Waker stuff)

I'm feeling the same myself, but not with the guitar. There are some pretty great tunes in there with some very playful lyric work that I appreciate.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Illumination: "Our budgets don't allow for inspiration."

I recently found out I'm going to be a dad. One of my first thoughts was "drat, A Goofy Movie is going to absolutely destroy me from now on, isn't it?"

(And yes, I have invoked the name of this thread's Patron Film. Let the cycle begin again.)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I think I'll get goofy tonight when I get home from work. Extremely goofy.

...movie.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

...movie.

are you going to do that before or after you watch the movie?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

...movie.

Or you could do Great Mouse Detective, which has sexual tension between two male leads, just offscreen cat-on-mouse vore, a mouse burlesque show with family friendly levels of stripping, and a fembot, in case you were looking to fill out a "Animators have weird fetishes" bingo card.

...and to keep on track and away from probation, it's also a kickass Sherlock Holmes movie with good pacing and great action scenes. It also keeps in the time-honored Holmes tradition of the "Who's Toby?" scene.

Edit: Just going to edit to say the sexual tension really isn't a "weird fetish" I know, but in a 1980s family cartoon it's definitely eyebrow raising.

dirksteadfast fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 23, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's kind of astonishing how timeless A Goofy Movie is, given that it's simultaneously xtremely 90s.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Whaaaaat makes you say that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1--ZOXoQCjM

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Was just about to Pirate The Red Turtle and saw that it's finally opening near me this week!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

dirksteadfast posted:

Illumination: "Our budgets don't allow for inspiration."

I recently found out I'm going to be a dad. One of my first thoughts was "drat, A Goofy Movie is going to absolutely destroy me from now on, isn't it?"

(And yes, I have invoked the name of this thread's Patron Film. Let the cycle begin again.)

Name your kid "Max" so it gets you even more emotional.

Also, congratulations! May you be as good of a father as Goofy is. :unsmith:

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Prince and MJ are timeless. Except for the present times, because they're dead. It's kind of a sick song though, that's perennial.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Okay so I'm gonna watch Extremely Goofy Movie AND Great Mouse Detective tonight.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You'll love GMD.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I've seen the song about Ratigan on Youtube. Seems like it will be a fun time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Osamu Tezuka's Broken Down Film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVBFRAYaZ1Y