Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Hughmoris posted:

Haha, which one of those is good for disappointing the owner?
He's beautifully lampooning the Vstrom there, I reckon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

Haha, which one of those is good for disappointing the owner? Also I've owned 2 KLRs in the past, so I know what I'm getting with those.

I've recently moved to Colorado so my primary use case would likely be urban -> canyon -> gravel roads. Realistically I probably won't be looking at off-roading up the side of a mountain. Also, I'm a bigger guy at 6'4 280 lbs so something that will be able to fit me and still get out of it's own way. I loved the KLR but I'm thinking I might need something with a bit more rear end to it in this Denver traffic.

Still quite broad, there's so many bikes nowadays for that. Look at the KTM 690 Enduro, KTM Adventure 990/1190/1290, VStrom 650/1000, Versys 650/1000, CB500x, GS700/800/1200, Tiger 800, Tiger Explorer, Yamaha FJ09, Honda Africa Twin. These bikes vary in weight, off-road pretensions, and actual off-road ability. None of those matches the simple ruggedness of an old school dual sport like a KLR though.

As pretty much any bike will do gravel with suitable tires you could even look into the glut of retro scramblers.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Aprilia SXV 550

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

drat I saw a brand new 650F on Wilshire today and it's making me want to switch it up from the FZ. I know it's dumb but hondas are just really cool to me. but i need a bike with a helmet lock and a center stand and I'm not sure if they offer that on the 650f.. abs seems real nice tho as a commuter

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

A MIRACLE posted:

hondas are just really cool

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

A MIRACLE posted:

drat I saw a brand new 650F on Wilshire today and it's making me want to switch it up from the FZ. I know it's dumb but hondas are just really cool to me. but i need a bike with a helmet lock and a center stand and I'm not sure if they offer that on the 650f.. abs seems real nice tho as a commuter

Had the CB650f and I really recommend it. Engine can get a bit vibey at freeway speeds, but other than that great engine, very reliable, and very cheap to run. Plus I had lots of compliments with the HRC and gold wheels, bike just looked awesome imo.

My biggest gripe is that replacing the exhaust (which is too quiet) requires a full replace since it's a one piece exhaust.

I think? you can get an oem stand for it. Helmet lock is under the seat.

Only reason I sold it was because I now do a 80km commute, most on the highway, and not having a fairing + the slight vibes for long periods meant I got to work pretty toasted.

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 13, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

I rode one of yesterday and my take was an awesome engine coupled to a bike that gained 40kg as it made its way from the suspension lab to the production line. Way too soggy and bouncy, especially the forks. Which would be ok if it weren't so ridiculously heavy for what it is; I'd rather an SV.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Slavvy posted:

I rode one of yesterday and my take was an awesome engine coupled to a bike that gained 40kg as it made its way from the suspension lab to the production line. Way too soggy and bouncy, especially the forks. Which would be ok if it weren't so ridiculously heavy for what it is; I'd rather an SV.

fwiw I've read that they've revised the suspension for the '17 models

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I rode a CB650F a couple of weeks as a loaner and it did feel a bit heavy/wallowy, also the engine was really boring. Didn't feel like it had ~90HP at all, due to lack of low-end pull and no top-end rush either. Feels like you're riding a vacuum cleaner. I also felt the gauges looked cheap, but then it isn't an expensive bike. The swing arm, frame and exhaust are all good looking though.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

High Protein posted:

I rode a CB650F a couple of weeks as a loaner and it did feel a bit heavy/wallowy, also the engine was really boring. Didn't feel like it had ~90HP at all, due to lack of low-end pull and no top-end rush either. Feels like you're riding a vacuum cleaner. I also felt the gauges looked cheap, but then it isn't an expensive bike. The swing arm, frame and exhaust are all good looking though.

I feel like this explains like 90% of the reasons the riding school I go to use these for the unrestricted license course.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool
So I'm looking to make the jump up from my CBR250r that I bought last summer. I'm leaning more towards a dual sport / supermoto the longer and longer I think about it but am also keeping an eye out for a naked bike in decent condition (SV-650 or similar)
I ran across a '01 640 Duke II with 5.25k miles on craigslist that a guy wants $3.5k for. It looks like it's in pretty good condition and has been well taken care of.

Just trying to figure out if this is a terrible decision or if I should look at something else in that price range.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Buy Koros tr650. Also definitely don't settle for anything less than a dualsport or sumo or you will regret it. an SV won't suffice at this point.

I hear the 640 is bulletproof, though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Label Facing Right posted:

So I'm looking to make the jump up from my CBR250r that I bought last summer. I'm leaning more towards a dual sport / supermoto the longer and longer I think about it but am also keeping an eye out for a naked bike in decent condition (SV-650 or similar)
I ran across a '01 640 Duke II with 5.25k miles on craigslist that a guy wants $3.5k for. It looks like it's in pretty good condition and has been well taken care of.

Just trying to figure out if this is a terrible decision or if I should look at something else in that price range.

Wouldn't pay more than 2.5k for a Duke II - bike is decent enough but very unrefined/ a bit finicky and you should be able to get a nice FI SV for 3.5k.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

Buy Korus tr650.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Where do you live 'cause:

Coydog posted:

Buy Korus tr650.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool

Z3n posted:

Wouldn't pay more than 2.5k for a Duke II - bike is decent enough but very unrefined/ a bit finicky and you should be able to get a nice FI SV for 3.5k.

Ah, thanks for the advice. It seems like all of the decent dualsports/sumos are like $5k plus on craigslist in my area.

Koruthaiolos posted:

Where do you live 'cause:

Metro-Atlanta area.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Ah, thanks for the advice. It seems like all of the decent dualsports/sumos are like $5k plus on craigslist in my area.
[Metro-Atlanta area.]

Yeah sumos are unusually expensive around here, I was looking for one myself at one point and kind of gave up on it. :shrug:

Ever been out to WOW Cycles in Marietta? They have a pretty decent selection of used machines and despite being a dealer seem to be a decent bunch.

If you want to be unique, you could be on an OG TransAlp. :haw:

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 14, 2017

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Metro-Atlanta area.

You can join our facebook group, Georgia Supermotos and see if anyone has anything up for sale, there's usually a handful of bikes up

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool

Ripoff posted:

Yeah sumos are unusually expensive around here, I was looking for one myself at one point and kind of gave up on it. :shrug: That said

Ever been out to WOW Cycles in Marietta? They have a pretty decent selection of used machines and despite being a dealer seem to be a decent bunch.

If you want to be unique, you could be on an OG TransAlp. :haw:

Yeah I've been there a few times, I work about 5 minutes from there so every once in a while I'll head up there on my lunch to check out what they have in stock. I'll probably be making another lunch trip there here in the next week or so to check out what they have.

If all else fails I'll hang on to my CBR until I find a good deal on a sumo. I have 2 coworkers who found killer deals on a klx250sf and a wr250x respectively so it's probably not completely out of the realm of possibilities.

Razzled posted:

You can join our facebook group, Georgia Supermotos and see if anyone has anything up for sale, there's usually a handful of bikes up

Oh cool thanks, yeah I'll definitely check it out.

Hooray Dialysis fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 14, 2017

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
Have recently moved to the UK and planning to do some roadtrips 2-up around Europe.
My wife and I aren't the smallest folk and I'm a bit torn on what to get. It's not like I can go test riding two up everywhere

My bike back home was a CB900F which to be honest really didn't like having the two of us pillion on it.
When travelling previously we've gone two up on two rentals:
A Bonneville - which was ok but not quite my cup of tea
F800GS - which was amazingly smooth and didn't even notice her on the back.

The beemer would be nice but getting a cheap secondhand one could be tricky.
There are 20 year old FJ1200s and stuff like that but wondering if I should risk taking a punt on a 20 year old tourer as breaking down in a country where I don't speak the language + being mechanically inept sounds like a bad time.

tldr;
What recommendations do people have for long distance 2 up riding for bigger folk? (That isn't a cruiser)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Soggy Chips posted:

Have recently moved to the UK and planning to do some roadtrips 2-up around Europe.
My wife and I aren't the smallest folk and I'm a bit torn on what to get. It's not like I can go test riding two up everywhere

My bike back home was a CB900F which to be honest really didn't like having the two of us pillion on it.

There are 20 year old FJ1200s and stuff like that but wondering if I should risk taking a punt on a 20 year old tourer as breaking down in a country where I don't speak the language + being mechanically inept sounds like a bad time.

tldr;
What recommendations do people have for long distance 2 up riding for bigger folk? (That isn't a cruiser)

I would see if you can pick up something cheap owned by someone old who maintained it well on either ukgser or advrider.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Soggy Chips posted:

tldr;

It depends on how much you're willing to spend for one, there's a ton of middleweight tourey-adventurey bikes. Maybe look for a TDM850/900?

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
Would ideally be less than 3500 pounds, so yeah would be keen on a sub litre tourey bike - providing it doesnt mind the weight on it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Soggy Chips posted:

Would ideally be less than 3500 pounds, so yeah would be keen on a sub litre tourey bike - providing it doesnt mind the weight on it.

At that price you're much better off dropping back a few years and looking at stuff like old Blackbirds, Hayabusas, and ZX-12s. They don't get abused this side of the pond anything like as bad as they do in the States (well avoid the first year of each because as they swapped around the FASTEST BIKE ON THE ROAD title quite a few fuckwits picked them up) and are likely to be owned by the sort of people who adjust their chains with a micrometer. More modern stuff in that price range is likely to have had a harder life.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm loving my FJ-09 in the canyons near Denver. You're not taking it off road without serious modifications and it probably would suck even then, but it's pretty great for road riding. Nobody bought them so they're incredibly cheap, too. I got a '15 for $6999 OTD + tax a few weeks ago on an MSRP of $10,500.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Can anyone recommend me a good trailer for a single dirt bike that is light enough for me to tow with my Miata?

I was told that the Harbor Freight ones are decent but I'm a bit hesitant to trust Harbor Freight.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Partial Octopus posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good trailer for a single dirt bike that is light enough for me to tow with my Miata?

I was told that the Harbor Freight ones are decent but I'm a bit hesitant to trust Harbor Freight.

Yeah, HF trailers are actually pretty good. My father in law says buy an entire set of hardware from a reputable hardware dealer. Other than that, he's been trailering bikes on his for years now with no issue. HF also sells an array of front wheel chocks that can be bolted to the hardwood deck you'll be installing.

I think BlackMK4 does trackdays with an HF trailer behind a little car as well.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

call to action posted:

I'm loving my FJ-09 in the canyons near Denver. You're not taking it off road without serious modifications and it probably would suck even then, but it's pretty great for road riding. Nobody bought them so they're incredibly cheap, too. I got a '15 for $6999 OTD + tax a few weeks ago on an MSRP of $10,500.

3.5k in taxes? what the gently caress?

e: oh, I misread. hurrr

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

drat that's how much I paid for my fz07. But I think I might trade down because the cheapest insurance I can find is still like 80$ a month in LA. I'm 28 and have never had an accident

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah, HF trailers are actually pretty good. My father in law says buy an entire set of hardware from a reputable hardware dealer. Other than that, he's been trailering bikes on his for years now with no issue. HF also sells an array of front wheel chocks that can be bolted to the hardwood deck you'll be installing.

I think BlackMK4 does trackdays with an HF trailer behind a little car as well.

Thanks! And what do you mean by "buy an entire set of hardware". Are you saying don't use any of the bolts that come with the trailer?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Partial Octopus posted:

Thanks! And what do you mean by "buy an entire set of hardware". Are you saying don't use any of the bolts that come with the trailer?

The trailer does come with hardware, but I guess it's low quality. Soft, poorly-cut threads, etc. While I haven't dealt with the trailer specifically, I have found this to be true for other HF stuff that requires assembly. The last thing I got was a bitch to get some of the fasteners to not crossthread.

I haven't heard anyone speak to this, but if I were to get one of those trailers (which I plan on eventually), I'd be tempted to get new lug nuts and install bearing buddies if possible, in addition to giving the axle and hubs a thorough inspection, tightening, and probably new tires before I did any kind of major distance. And a spare. I don't know how the axle is secured, but if it's by the typical u-bolts, I'd probably replace the nuts on those and throw on some red Loctite for good measure.

There's a lot to work with as far as DIY mods I think. This guy modded the poo poo out of his trailer. Harbor Freight has their own blog about improvements. Here is another pretty good walkthrough, not much in the way of mods though.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 16, 2017

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
The bolts are a bit soft, but I haven't had issues with them. The bearings need to be greased regularly, like every 500 miles or so. The bearings are pretty standard, I'd recommend getting a spare set to have on hand. The axle nut is like 2.5" or something, so you'll probably have to find a big enough socket.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
At some point doesn't it just become easier to roll your own?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

As I said in #bieks, I managed to completely destroy my bike's engine. I hosed up bad.

Am looking at a 2017 SV650 with ABS. Thoughts on this bike?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Odette posted:

As I said in #bieks, I managed to completely destroy my bike's engine. I hosed up bad.

ABS good, SV650 meh. What are you planning on doing, what's your riding history, etc?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Odette posted:

You're in NZ IIRC. For that kind of money I'd rather a CB650F with ABS. More power, less ugly, more honda, less suzuki.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I think they also have the CB400SF over there

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Z3n posted:

ABS good, SV650 meh. What are you planning on doing, what's your riding history, etc?

I've been thrashing (daily riding) a VL250 around for the last 7-8 years with a few rides on more sizeable bikes, looking to upgrade to something with a little more oomph.

Slavvy posted:

You're in NZ IIRC. For that kind of money I'd rather a CB650F with ABS. More power, less ugly, more honda, less suzuki.

Unfortunately I have a hard financial limit, which eliminates that bike.

A MIRACLE posted:

I think they also have the CB400SF over there

They do, but it seems to be slim pickings.

I just want to know if there's any glaring issues with that model, really.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok well in that case I would ask: do you really badly absolutely positively need ABS? Cause a used SV is a hell of a lot cheaper and mechanically indistinguishable from a new one. Used always beats new for value, hands down 100% of the time, especially in our market. Literally the only reason to drop a preposterous amount of money on a brand new bike is if you feel ABS is indispensible to your existence. Other than being monstrously overpriced for what you get, there's no issues with them. Just a good reliable dirty old SV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Slavvy posted:

Ok well in that case I would ask: do you really badly absolutely positively need ABS? Cause a used SV is a hell of a lot cheaper and mechanically indistinguishable from a new one. Used always beats new for value, hands down 100% of the time, especially in our market. Literally the only reason to drop a preposterous amount of money on a brand new bike is if you feel ABS is indispensible to your existence. Other than being monstrously overpriced for what you get, there's no issues with them. Just a good reliable dirty old SV.

Look, man, somebody has to buy new Suzukis. How are the rest of us going to have a huge cache of SVs, GSXRs, V-Stroms, and (to a lesser extent) DRZs to buy for cheap if someone doesn't take the hit at the dealerships?