Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

Boy, if I hadn't learned about knocking Magoichi Saika out of the air from this thread then that battle would have been really, really frustrating.

Thanks, thread! And thank you, Saika, for the bitchin' outfit.

You're welcome.

Also, bat lady ng+ twilight is making me quit the game. Holy poo poo. It's lkke the first wall all over again, except she's twice as fast and does 4x as much damage. And it's impossible to get discord against her. And I still can't block her. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Harrow posted:

They'll do a gesture at you and they want you to repeat it back at them, then they'll do a happy dance and give you treasure.

just when i thought this game couldn't possibly get any more japanese

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What exactly do the upper and lower level limit for forged items patronage bonuses do?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Deified Data posted:

What exactly do the upper and lower level limit for forged items patronage bonuses do?

Items that are forged instead of bought from the blacksmith have a random level assigned to them, from a range you can see in the top right when you go to forge it. Those bonuses reduce the lower echelon of the range so that there's a better chance of getting higher leveled stuff and thus more bang for your buck.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Just found an NPC Bloody Grave named RebootRygar :allears:

He even said something like "I never thought I'd come back to life like this! Thank you!" after I killed him.

e: Just fought another one named LOA.Test.Subject, which is a reference to Ninja Gaiden. Cool.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

There's also this reference to Onimusha of all things.

edit: By the way, found an easter egg that I think is pretty great. If you run back to the secret hot spring when you're pallin around with lady lightning instead of going forward as the game wants you to, you get some unique dialogue. Here's someone else's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSgVIahNrvU

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 23, 2017

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Harrow posted:

You probably should've encountered one of the fake walls already. They're not actually illusion walls--they're nurikabe, a type of yokai that impersonates a wall. Look for a wall with eyes--they'll open them and look at you when you get close. Don't attack, though. They want you to gesture at them. They respond to a certain color of gesture (blue for friendly, yellow for neutral, and red for hostile) and you get two tries to get it right or they attack. The "gesture at them" advice is true of chest mimics, too. They'll do a gesture at you and they want you to repeat it back at them, then they'll do a happy dance and give you treasure.

I'm retarded I've just been killing them.

This game has shown me I'm terrible at video games, I'm up to some lightning dog thing and drat. No other game induces quite the same rage as when I over extend just a bit too much and die wasting 20 minutes of time because I was just slightly too impatient. Then I do it again right after because I just wasted time so I've got to make up for it :saddowns:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, if you whistle in front of a mimic chest the creature will pop out without you having to open it and conk your head like a dummy. :eng101:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

One time I screwed up the gesture and I didn't want to fight him, so I ran away and got murked by a pressure trap

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
While all the other weapons hog chat time in this thread, this is just a reminder that axes completely break the game over your knee on a normal playthrough. I'm at the end of the 4th continent, and the last 5-6 boss battles lasted about 15 seconds each.

Like there's been people talking about how the frog boss is super annoying. I don't even know what the frog boss does. I killed him in literally under 10 seconds.

The downside is that the boss gameplay is pretty boring this way. I use the axe skill + attack buff, and the onymo spells rage + ki regen. I pop my living weapon as soon as the fight starts, and so far every boss after Umi-bozo has gone down before the living weapon duration is even over. I don't even need to use the sloth tailsman.

In addition to boss destruction, almost all regular enemies die in 1 combo. The standard yokai are at just the right height that a light combo in high stance will break their horns, and they are dead before they even stand up again.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

CJacobs posted:

By the way, if you whistle in front of a mimic chest the creature will pop out without you having to open it and conk your head like a dummy. :eng101:

Man, what the hell

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Sweeper posted:

I'm retarded I've just been killing them.

This game has shown me I'm terrible at video games, I'm up to some lightning dog thing and drat. No other game induces quite the same rage as when I over extend just a bit too much and die wasting 20 minutes of time because I was just slightly too impatient. Then I do it again right after because I just wasted time so I've got to make up for it :saddowns:

You can stagger Nue by hitting its belly when it does the lightning, iirc.

What does Final Blow mean exactly? The last hit of a combo, or just the hit that kills an enemy?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Spite posted:

You can stagger Nue by hitting its belly when it does the lightning, iirc.

What does Final Blow mean exactly? The last hit of a combo, or just the hit that kills an enemy?

I think Final Blows are specifically when you smash someone who's on the ground exhausted

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think Final Blows are specifically when you smash someone who's on the ground exhausted

Isn't that a grapple? gently caress this game and it's poorly explained terminology.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

JBP posted:

Isn't that a grapple? gently caress this game and it's poorly explained terminology.

Grapples are the move you do when they're standing and exhausted, I think?? None of them really grapple the enemy so much as jam your weapon into their meaty parts but as you say, poorly explained terminology.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Unit Leader's armor is practically Ma Chao from Dynasty Warriors. Brilliant.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
gently caress Elsa what He gently caress

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

AFAIK grapple is the gut stab, final blow is back stab while they lay on the ground. I had to google it because I was playing with a weapon that had + final blow damage and it occured to that doesn't make sense. If it's the final blow why do more damage?

I've been wearing the....Warrior of the west? Armor a long time. A lot of it has been outleveled except my chest piece, it keeps just leveling up on its own. Bug? or something I'm not aware of here?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Schroeder91 posted:

AFAIK grapple is the gut stab, final blow is back stab while they lay on the ground. I had to google it because I was playing with a weapon that had + final blow damage and it occured to that doesn't make sense. If it's the final blow why do more damage?

I've been wearing the....Warrior of the west? Armor a long time. A lot of it has been outleveled except my chest piece, it keeps just leveling up on its own. Bug? or something I'm not aware of here?

Final blow makes more sense being on the ground, but the only move I know that does that is with the high stance spear. I assume axes and maybe the chain blade thingie also put dudes down?

Your armour is possessed. Congratulations.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

you can knock people onto the ground if you hit them with a light attack while they're staggered. its weird but you can do it if you want.

also as soon as i posted my next run got me the yatagarasu blue prints so i guess complaining works!

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

you can knock people onto the ground if you hit them with a light attack while they're staggered. its weird but you can do it if you want.

You can also do it with an iai quickdraw. And then you can quickdraw twice more while they're on the ground.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I wish it were easier to access these Twilight Missions. All I have left to do for the Platinum is get the Blacksmith requests out of the way and get 100% mission completion, but I can apparently only do 4 at most every day and there's something like 9 missions total.

Oh well, at least this gives me the chance to kill more time at Ohashi Bridge and grind Revenants for divine drops!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I don't know what I did but one of the skulls REALLY glitched out and it's giving me something like 500k/min, it's so much amrita that it glitched out my weapon (I assume? the axe head is gone)

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Public service announcement - The Blade Spin skill for the kusarigama is absurdly good to the point that almost nothing else feels worthwhile.

So apparently I've managed to stumble into a setup that does absurd amounts of damage because I just starting doing co-op and every other person I've helped has messaged me asking how the gently caress I'm building that I'm doing so much damage. My blade spin, with the kusarigama's attack buff ability and the sickle damage up mystic art does around 2k per hit, over 4k/hit on a back attack. I was farming glory on the NG+ version of the first real mission and melting the boss in a couple seconds flat with the kusarigama's blade frenzy attack thing.

Also, does anyone know if there's a particularly good way to farm the reforging items for rare weapons? I haven't managed to roll skill damage+ yet, but otherwise the kusarigama I've been using is close to perfect. A+ attack bonus from agility and body, huge ki cost reduction, +25% final attack damage (perfect for farming revenants - hit them with the leg sweep attack as soon as they spawn, then oneshot) good roll for fire damage. I'm sitting at 1009 attack on it right now I think.

man I haven't enjoyed a game this much in years

Revins fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 23, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The dual sword blender move is also great for the same reason. Slice, dice, and mince those demons!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Random Slice makes me feel like samurai Jack sometimes, minus the part where projectiles would be deflected.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Hey nioh can you make a boss only coop option that'd be cool thanks

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
When do the magic and ninjitsu mystic arts quests appear? (I'm in the final region)

Stangg fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 23, 2017

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Stangg posted:

When do the magic and ninjitsu mystic arts quests appear? (I'm in the final region)

You have to level Magic and Dexterity to level 20 to unlock them.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Unfinish3d posted:

Public service announcement - The Blade Spin skill for the kusarigama is absurdly good to the point that almost nothing else feels worthwhile.

So apparently I've managed to stumble into a setup that does absurd amounts of damage because I just starting doing co-op and every other person I've helped has messaged me asking how the gently caress I'm building that I'm doing so much damage. My blade spin, with the kusarigama's attack buff ability and the sickle damage up mystic art does around 2k per hit, over 4k/hit on a back attack. I was farming glory on the NG+ version of the first real mission and melting the boss in a couple seconds flat with the kusarigama's blade frenzy attack thing.

Also, does anyone know if there's a particularly good way to farm the reforging items for rare weapons? I haven't managed to roll skill damage+ yet, but otherwise the kusarigama I've been using is close to perfect. A+ attack bonus from agility and body, huge ki cost reduction, +25% final attack damage (perfect for farming revenants - hit them with the leg sweep attack as soon as they spawn, then oneshot) good roll for fire damage. I'm sitting at 1009 attack on it right now I think.

man I haven't enjoyed a game this much in years

What are your stats? I just beat Elsa and my axe is doing about as Mich damage as my spear

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Apparently, just as Oda's finished charging his sword with an element and if you were locked onto him during, you can quickly line up a shot at his face while he's dashing at you and it instantly downs the bastard for a final blow. It was my ticket to victory when he and the missus wanted to scrap.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Policenaut posted:

You have to level Magic and Dexterity to level 20 to unlock them.

Ah so it's not like all the other quests in that they appear but not accessible?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Stangg posted:

Ah so it's not like all the other quests in that they appear but not accessible?

Yeah, they're hidden until you reach the stat requisite. It's kind of confusing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, they're hidden until you reach the stat requisite. It's kind of confusing.

Is that all? I've got 20 magic and it hasn't unlocked whereas all the other master techniques or whatever have. I've done the katana and spear ones that unlock with proficiency for example.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Edit: Wow I'm getting mixed up here, there are 10/15/20 Magic/Dexterity gated missions at the Dojo but I'm not sure if they're regionally linked.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 23, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JBP posted:

Is that all? I've got 20 magic and it hasn't unlocked whereas all the other master techniques or whatever have. I've done the katana and spear ones that unlock with proficiency for example.

It appears later in the game than the weapon arts.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I found out the magic talisman for 'summon your guardian spirit to attack the enemy', and used it on the cave lady boss. it's like a win button, drat!

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Alan Smithee posted:

What are your stats? I just beat Elsa and my axe is doing about as Mich damage as my spear

at level 134 - 37 Body, 20 Heart, 11 Stam, 5 strength, 31 skill, 34 dex, 13 magic, 25 spirit. Full Justice Ministry set, Kato fully levelled up. Entirely focused on kusarigama and dual swords. I soul matched the Change to Attack (Body) mod onto my weapon, which totally rules.

edit: oh, and +9% elemental damage on both accessories

Revins fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 23, 2017

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

What do we do with this nue asset?

Oh hey I know let's put a boss before the boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Alan Smithee posted:

What do we do with this nue asset?

Oh hey I know let's put a boss before the boss

That's a side area. You can safely ignore him.