Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There is something I keep forgetting to do in Ghosthunter that makes me backtrack every time - I keep forgetting to wait until the patrolling Howler (stealth mechanic ghost, cannot be harmed just avoided) goes to sleep in the graveyard and capturing it for a power for a later puzzle, so I always get halfway through the mines then have to backtrack all the way to the start of the swamp to do that. Happily, enemies don't respawn so it's a quiet stroll backwards through the level. The game just doesn't tell you to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Also, it's a plot point in this mission that the prisoners are British, yet they speak with typical American accents... and, in a great line reading, one refers to a character known as The Viscount as The Viz-count.

In Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. On a mission set in London, with British voice actors playing British characters, they still manage to refer to the London Underground as a "metro" a couple of times, which stands out since I've never heard anyone British actually call it that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Hedgehog Pie posted:

MGSV... doesn't really have any of that.

Yeah the boss fights really kind of suck in MGSV which is a shame. You can do some fun stuff in them, but it doesn't make the fights themselves fun. Like being able to launch the fireman off a cliff with a jeep, or knocking the pasty white kid out with a rocket punch. The Metal Gear fight was just kind of :effort: and really just made me wonder why we didn't do that earlier, especially after that one lovely mission where you had to evacuate a moron before it smashed your chopper.

It's also worth noting they don't ever really tell you that you can visit the zoo. They mention the platform exists but there's nothing in the game that really clues you in that it's a real place you can go hang out.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

While we're kind of on the subject, MGSV: TPP is great but:

- The boss fights. The Metal Gear Solid series has for a long time had memorable and creative boss fights. I mean, who could forget the man in the gas mask who could read your memory card, the morbidly obese explosives expert who ran around on roller skates whilst sipping wine through a straw, or the 100+ year-old photosynthetic sniper who could occupy multiple game areas at once? MGSV... doesn't really have any of that. True, you do fight a literal flame demon in a unique setting (an abandoned African post-imperial industrial zone) where the gimmick is you have to try and douse him with water, but apart from that you're limited to fist-fighting an annoying child and taking on squadrons of blank, silent supersoldiers (the primary antagonist is stepped on by Metal Gear in a cutscene, if you can believe that). To add to the disappointment, you're really encouraged not to fight said supersoldiers on your first playthrough, rather you're just supposed to run away and lose them... and when you're actually forced into a direct fight with them in mission 29, you'll wish you could run away from them, as they're just big bullet sponges who you simply have to shoot/blow up whilst avoiding their attacks. Fighting this game's version of Metal Gear isn't much better, though it is a bit more intense on extreme mode. EDIT: There's also a sniper battle that is okay.

- Unlike in MGS3, where you had to eat all the animals to sustain Snake's stamina, in MGSV you get the opportunity to extract many lovable critters from the combat zones in aid of an environmentalist NGO! And what's more, they eventually get their own pad in the form of an oil rig zoo, which you can visit any time you like! Awesome. Except, you don't actually get to see half the animals you can capture. How does this work? Well, you get your R&D guys to supply you with special capture cages, which you then place at very select places on the main maps (i.e. you look up a Youtube video telling you exactly where to put them if you really care that much). When you leave the map you get a message telling you which animals you caught, and they get added to your database. You don't get to see them in the game world, nor do you get to see them in your zoo. Oddly this includes all the snakes, but even more dishearteningly it also includes some cute pussy cats. Like several other things in the game, it reeks of something they planned to implement more fully but didn't get a chance to before all the shenanigans went down.

- Some of the bonus mission tasks are particularly trying. One of the best examples, involving a classic video game error, takes place in mission 14, where you have to infiltrate an enemy camp and extract a certain prisoner. There are several prisoners at the camp who are all about to be interrogated, and one of the bonus tasks is to listen to all four interrogations. This in itself is a bit janky, as the camp is quite big and you will likely find yourself waiting for the dudes to get there whilst they walk around in circles, but it's particularly bad because the soldiers are made to kill the prisoners after their scenes are finished. Can you see where this is going? (guard kills a prisoner, guard sees dead prisoner, guard puts base on alert thinking you did it and you have to reload, hoping it doesn't happen again) Also, it's a plot point in this mission that the prisoners are British, yet they speak with typical American accents... and, in a great line reading, one refers to a character known as The Viscount as The Viz-count. There are a couple more tasks like this, which thankfully you don't need to do unless...

- You're going for 100%. If you're like me and you're a dork who has nothing better to do at the weekends, getting 100% in MGSV is actually quite doable (despite what I said above, most of the bonus mission tasks are quite fun, if you're not just being asked to pick a certain out-of-the-way flower or something). However, to get 100% you also need to collect all the blueprints, and this requires you to clear all of the main offline dispatch missions. Dispatch missions cannot be performed by the player, instead you send off a battalion of your troops to another part of the globe to accomplish a task which takes several real-time hours. The last few are given the S difficulty, meaning that even if you enlist only your top guys (who you almost certainly need online rewards to get a hold of) you'll still only have around a 65% chance of success. These missions are supposed to be played in the background, but if you're an idiot like me then you'll have done everything else already. I just went around trying to get all the codename emblems, which involved me killing so many people that Snake officially turned "bad", and now has full-body bloodstains he can't wash off. Yuck.

- Also everything else people have talked about a million times already (story, pacing, online nonsense, etc.).

The Skulls are the worst bosses in the series. There's no personality to them; they're just super-powered zombies. At least the BnB unit had some attempt at backstories and were based on actual people's likenesses. You can actually nonlethal them, but it takes a lot of effort (and sleeping gas). The mandatory boss fight with them can be absolute hell if you haven't been developing really powerful weapons. I used to bring rocket launchers but I find the antimateriel rifles great at penetrating their armor.

MoF and Sehalanthropus are just as bad.

The endgame offline dispatch missions are garbage. I've been sending troops to the same one with 65% success rate and just recently cleared it. I'm already dreading the new one and how many guys I'll go through to clear it.

The capture cages were a terrible mechanic; every animal you could rescue should have been fulton-only.

The Viscount mission is annoying, and I'm gonna dread returning to it when I'm trying to do my challenge run.

And the one thing that I hated the most about the Metal Gear fight in this game is that they introduced Battle Gear early on in the game as something you'll use later. There's even a mini cutscene focused on its development. But then nothing. You never get to use it in the field; it's consigned to the dispatch missions (which you never get a visualization on what happened unlike Peace Walker's Outer Ops). They should have made that thing available during the Sehalanthropus fight and had a redux of the Metal Gear fight in MGS4. It was the biggest dropped ball for me in the game.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I've been playing Dead Rising 2 recently, so I might put up some more draggings later.

I really dislike the dodge in this game. It comes out so slow and I don't think there's any i-frames during the whole thing.

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 13:45 on Feb 23, 2017

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Action Tortoise posted:

At least the BnB unit had some attempt at backstories and were based on actual people's likenesses.

With how much the game focuses on their tits and asses im not sure if that's a good thing...

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
if the fights ended after their beast forms were taken down or if during their beauty forms they instead became more aggressive and mobile fights rather than being creepy hug monsters they'd be more memorable fights.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The weirdest thing about MGS V for me is that they thought to end the series (except for that lovely upcoming zombie game) on a Big Boss story. Maybe I'm crazy, but I feel like the last game you make in a series should probably be the final part of the story. MGS V just kinda ended like a wet fart Yeah you're not really Big Boss but hey people think you are perception is history blah blah blah blah

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I had to replay mission 14 a bunch because I am poo poo at video games and I literally never saw them freak out about the body after killing a prisoner, I think they must have seen something else in your game.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

OldTennisCourt posted:

The weirdest thing about MGS V for me is that they thought to end the series (except for that lovely upcoming zombie game) on a Big Boss story. Maybe I'm crazy, but I feel like the last game you make in a series should probably be the final part of the story. MGS V just kinda ended like a wet fart Yeah you're not really Big Boss but hey people think you are perception is history blah blah blah blah

Kojima probably wasn't planning on getting poo poo canned by the end of this game.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Solid Snake's story ended with 4. It was a weak end, but fine enough and closed off most of the dangling plot threads the series had at that point.

Honestly, I think Peace Walker and V are unnecessary sequels. V is especially egregious because there's so many characters introduced in Peace Walker that never return. Amanda should have had some appearance since Chico was an important figure in Ground Zeroes, and while Cecile was vestigial as characters go, there was still some references between her and Miller.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Kojima probably wasn't planning on getting poo poo canned by the end of this game.

I swear he's been trying to Springtime for Hitler this series for the longest time, and when he finally considered trying to expand on Big Boss' story, that's when the company decided to fold their game division to make way for those sweet pachinko yen.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Action Tortoise posted:

Solid Snake's story ended with 4. It was a weak end, but fine enough and closed off most of the dangling plot threads the series had at that point.

Honestly, I think Peace Walker and V are unnecessary sequels. V is especially egregious because there's so many characters introduced in Peace Walker that never return. Amanda should have had some appearance since Chico was an important figure in Ground Zeroes, and while Cecile was vestigial as characters go, there was still some references between her and Miller.

Remake Metal Gear 1 and 2 then :colbert:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Can't wait for those pachinko cabinets

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really wanted/expected the final chapter to switch perspective to Solid and be a MG1 remake :( I know everyone else did too but still.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Apparently they intended Battle Gear to be playable, then canned it, citing that it was "unbalanced" :shepface: Just limit my rank to A, or C or whatever let me roll around in my hovering deathbot you jackasses. Also actually finish the drat game.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I really wanted/expected the final chapter to switch perspective to Solid and be a MG1 remake :( I know everyone else did too but still.

I really want to see revamped versions of MG1 bosses like Shoot Gunner and Machine Gud Kid.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I absolutly thought it was all leading to those remakes. It's monumentally loving stupid to spend multiple games building up Big Boss, his past, his pain and then when you get to the defining moment of his life (aside from Snake Eater) it's like "Welp, go play those old rear end 8 bit games lol"

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Action Tortoise posted:

I really dislike the dodge in this game. It comes out so slow and I don't think there's any i-frames during the whole thing.

I actually prefer it to the dodge from the first Dead Rising game!

Though this is because it's now a joystick-clicking action, rather than a tap-the-joystick-in-your-desired-direction-quickly-twice action. One of my controllers is a bit crummy, so you can imagine what it's like when I have to play the first game with it...

food court bailiff posted:

I had to replay mission 14 a bunch because I am poo poo at video games and I literally never saw them freak out about the body after killing a prisoner, I think they must have seen something else in your game.

The Internet seemed to be hinting that it's a common issue with that mission, though you could be very much right also. To clarify, I think it specifically concerns the second and third prisoners (a man and a woman I think?) who are being held together at the torture area near the swampside shack.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The mgsv guide straight up admits that battle gear was the mother of all dropped balls both because they were unable to plan around it being used in a balanced way and because they just plain ran out of time

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean they could've just made it an arcadey mini game where you rampage through both maps trying to cause as much havoc as possible for a high score

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Calaveron posted:

The mgsv guide straight up admits that battle gear was the mother of all dropped balls both because they were unable to plan around it being used in a balanced way and because they just plain ran out of time

they could have just made it a faster and more maneuverable tank with similar weaponry to D-Walker; hell, it would have been great to upgrade a vehicle that could be resistant to the metallic archea.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

They could've just put it in and not worry about it being balanced

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I mean I think balance in single-player games is important because it prevents everyone aiming for the One True Build, but like halfway through the main story you're getting wormhole fultons and sleep grenade launchers so I'm wondering just how unbalanced this battle gear must have been.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Calaveron posted:

I mean they could've just made it an arcadey mini game where you rampage through both maps trying to cause as much havoc as possible for a high score

This would've been like Godzilla, or if you prefer, the final level of that Rugrats game BioEnchanted played recently.

Meaning it would've been awesome. :(

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RareAcumen posted:

They could've just put it in and not worry about it being balanced

exactly. you can start missions with tanks.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the thing dragging down the Worms series is that all the games past Armageddon, are not Armageddon.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

2house2fly posted:

I mean I think balance in single-player games is important because it prevents everyone aiming for the One True Build, but like halfway through the main story you're getting wormhole fultons and sleep grenade launchers so I'm wondering just how unbalanced this battle gear must have been.

I'm not that worried about it since if something is extremely good to use but it's not fun to do so then that's on the player to exert some modicrum of self control to do something to fix it. Because then you get weirdos who're like 'Just because it is RNG doesn't mean items like this should exist. That's bad balance.' about random weapons in Enter the Gungeon.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

2house2fly posted:

balance in the singleplayer game is the cost of going out on missions versus the returns you'll get extracting resources in the wild and finding new recruits. replaying missions yield diminishing returns and it feels like the longer you play the game the more you'll either have to sell off vehicles and mounted guns, do the online pvp, or the instanced ai fobs to get more gmp.

it's the reason why my loadouts have been so spartan in my postgame playthroughs; i haven't felt like doing any of the fob instances and going around with just the water pistol and a throwaway rifle has helped me find my way with my 'no traces' runs.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's been forever and a day since I played it, so I might be remembering falsely, but I remember being really annoyed that Dead Rising 2 had a sandbox mode that still included the Psychopaths all over the place.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Hedgehog Pie posted:

- Some of the bonus mission tasks are particularly trying. One of the best examples, involving a classic video game error, takes place in mission 14, where you have to infiltrate an enemy camp and extract a certain prisoner. There are several prisoners at the camp who are all about to be interrogated, and one of the bonus tasks is to listen to all four interrogations. This in itself is a bit janky, as the camp is quite big and you will likely find yourself waiting for the dudes to get there whilst they walk around in circles, but it's particularly bad because the soldiers are made to kill the prisoners after their scenes are finished. Can you see where this is going? (guard kills a prisoner, guard sees dead prisoner, guard puts base on alert thinking you did it and you have to reload, hoping it doesn't happen again) Also, it's a plot point in this mission that the prisoners are British, yet they speak with typical American accents... and, in a great line reading, one refers to a character known as The Viscount as The Viz-count. There are a couple more tasks like this, which thankfully you don't need to do unless...

Whats great is you can break the mission by taking care of the guards after the interrogations happen but before they kill the prisoner and the interpreter just flat out stops doing interrogations.

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008
MGSV: I haven't played in a while but there is a air-shotgun you can develop and eventually add on a silencer. That thing is great for clearing FOBs cause one hit will silently knock a guy out unless he's in full body armor and then it just takes a second shot to take that guy out. I used to clear the first rig, setup sleep mines on the bridge, then fulton out the resources. They'd send guys to check it out and the sleep mines drop 'em, works every time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MisterBibs posted:

It's been forever and a day since I played it, so I might be remembering falsely, but I remember being really annoyed that Dead Rising 2 had a sandbox mode that still included the Psychopaths all over the place.

I think you mean Off the Record. Like in DR1's sandbox it tossed survivors, npcs, and psychopaths in to fight.

Sarkimedes
Jul 2, 2012
I'm playing through Pokémon Sun at the moment, and it feels like making you fight wild Pokémon 2-on-1 (because they keep calling for help) is driving the difficulty curve really out of whack. It's something you really need to be overleveled to deal with properly because if you can't kill something in 1 hit them you get caught in a loop of:

Turn 1: knock Pokémon A down to low health, it calls for help (summoning Pokémon B) and counterattacks
Turn 2: kill Pokémon A, Pokémon B attacks
Turn 3: knock Pokémon B down to low health, it calls for help (summoning Pokémon C)
Turn 4+: repeat until you give up and run away

Levelling up a bit means that you should be able to one-shot most wild Pokémon and therefore avoid this, and it's easy enough to gain levels unless you're going out of your way to avoid battling, but then you're overleveled for a lot of trainer battles and it just makes the game too easy.

To make matters worse, the game makes it so you get less experience for being a higher level than something you killed, which like most anti-grinding things is a really nice idea but in practice just means you have to constantly keep a balancing act up to keep your team levelled up enough to win battles but not so much that the game starts punishing you for playing it.

The annoying thing is, had they made calling for help something a Pokémon did instead of attacking (rather than a free action like it is currently) then you wouldn't get into that loop and I wouldn't mind the whole anti-grinding thing as much.

Fighting with more than two Pokémon on screen makes the framerate go through the floor as well, and it's not like the game is that much of a graphical step up from the last generation (especially because it doesn't do 3D any more), which ran perfectly fine.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

MisterBibs posted:

For all the problems with Dead Rising 2, the movement speed was always the worst offender for me. There's some sort of zombie apocalypse going on, but you can't muster more than a slow jog to get around. Eventually you can upgrade it to a more respectable run, but not after many hours of gameplay.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Someone had mentioned that it would have been great for David Hayter to have like one line at the end of the game to show the transition and I agree that this would have been a perfect way to end everything.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Sarkimedes posted:

I'm playing through Pokémon Sun at the moment, and it feels like making you fight wild Pokémon 2-on-1 (because they keep calling for help) is driving the difficulty curve really out of whack. It's something you really need to be overleveled to deal with properly because if you can't kill something in 1 hit them you get caught in a loop of:

Turn 1: knock Pokémon A down to low health, it calls for help (summoning Pokémon B) and counterattacks
Turn 2: kill Pokémon A, Pokémon B attacks
Turn 3: knock Pokémon B down to low health, it calls for help (summoning Pokémon C)
Turn 4+: repeat until you give up and run away

Levelling up a bit means that you should be able to one-shot most wild Pokémon and therefore avoid this, and it's easy enough to gain levels unless you're going out of your way to avoid battling, but then you're overleveled for a lot of trainer battles and it just makes the game too easy.

To make matters worse, the game makes it so you get less experience for being a higher level than something you killed, which like most anti-grinding things is a really nice idea but in practice just means you have to constantly keep a balancing act up to keep your team levelled up enough to win battles but not so much that the game starts punishing you for playing it.

The annoying thing is, had they made calling for help something a Pokémon did instead of attacking (rather than a free action like it is currently) then you wouldn't get into that loop and I wouldn't mind the whole anti-grinding thing as much.

Fighting with more than two Pokémon on screen makes the framerate go through the floor as well, and it's not like the game is that much of a graphical step up from the last generation (especially because it doesn't do 3D any more), which ran perfectly fine.

They can't call for help if they have literally any status effect ever, it is basically a check to make sure that you are a smart enough 8 year old to know how status effects work.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

OldTennisCourt posted:

MGV's engine and gameplay is so fun I would love nothing more, genuinely. But it'll never happen now.

Sarkimedes
Jul 2, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

They can't call for help if they have literally any status effect ever, it is basically a check to make sure that you are a smart enough 8 year old to know how status effects work.

Huh. I must have missed where it said that. Thanks, that actually really helps.

TBF, I'm neither smart nor 8 so I fail on both counts there.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Sorry, I have had a hell of a bad day (week? Idk at this point) and I felt like being a douche. I don't think they actually reference it in game at all.

e: seriously where was my head at there, I feel like a dick

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Finally decided to check out Broforce, and while the game has promise, it's absolutely hamstrung by lovely performance issues. I've reached mission 5, and the game has started to collapse on itself. The game's framerate has never been anything approaching consistent, but in Mission 5, it's reaching new lows, and the average is far below any mission before. The game froze for about 30 seconds upon unlocking a new Bro, for some reason. It's horrendous.