Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I always thought Mistborn's handling of clashing precognitive powers was interesting. Oh so you can see what I'm going to do? We'll now I can too, and the feedback loop from our powers is going to create so many possible futures that neither of us will know what's going to happen. Or course, when powers are fueled by ingesting trace amounts of metal, it becomes a battle of attrition to see who runs out of their precog alloy first.

Mistborn also explicitly gives the required secondary power of being able to mentally process and physically act on (to the user's physical limits) the precognition too. Sanderson is very good at thinking out the implication of the abilities he gives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Or that bit in Code Geass where LeLouche beats that one precog rear end in a top hat by mind-controlling himself to avoid tipping his hand that his friend is going to save the day instead.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Fabricated posted:

Or that bit in Code Geass where LeLouche beats that one precog rear end in a top hat by mind-controlling himself to avoid tipping his hand that his friend is going to save the day instead.

That was a mind-reader. They beat the precog by just going faster than he could keep up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

There was a fight in some manga where one of the good guys has foresight and starts losing because- while he can see where he's going to get hit from and everything- he's not exactly athletic and fighting really hurts. Also I think that using that ability came from glasses or something and it was a strain to do as well.

Can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Tokyo ESP had an interesting variation, the kid with precog abilities was athletic and a trained martial artist, so in hand to hand combat he was basically unbeatable except he had to clearly think on what he saw and respond appropriately. He was thus slower than the MC who using Judo techniques that depended on muscle memory and reflexes and lost in their rematch.

The Kid however would still be at a disadvantage against anyone with more flashy abilities like making things explode.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Sir is going to laugh like Rich Evans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPUPaxgIo98

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

well i had a look for the fight between odasaku and gide in bungou stray dogs, but all i could find were terrible amvs of it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Can I say I loving love the way Nighteye is drawn? Just ridiculous lanky and still intimidating as gently caress. Really sells it that this guy is for real.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

oh no

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, this chapter looked kind of sketchy in places. I wonder what's up with that.

Also, hello Overhaul.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I was going to make a post about how Sir Nighteye's quirk is basically the Sharingan and he is Sasuke, but gently caress me, the artwork in this chapter took a nosedive.

This chapter looks like it has the horrible artwork from the Greed Island arc of HxH, is the author having medical problems like Togashi did? The series isn't even three years old yet

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
*Intro to Roundabout playing in the background*

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I was going to make a post about how Sir Nighteye's quirk is basically the Sharingan and he is Sasuke, but gently caress me, the artwork in this chapter took a nosedive.

This chapter looks like it has the horrible artwork from the Greed Island arc of HxH, is the author having medical problems like Togashi did? The series isn't even three years old yet

Those Greed Island chapters were basically complete rough drafts, this just looks like some complications happened and they weren't able to polish some of the pages this time around. One week is a tight timeframe to churn out 19 comic pages, man.

e: By the way, the little girl's horn reminds me of that horned foreigner girl in Class B.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 23, 2017

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Maybe it's an issue with Jump in general this time? The Black Clover chapter is also very rough.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Souma is fine so who knows.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Green Intern posted:

So if Nighteye's power works by maintaining eye contact (if the translation is to be believed), then Deku should close his eyes while he bounces around the room. Take a page out of Mirio's book and move without seeing.

I don't think he needs to maintain eye contract, he just has to make it in the first place. Otherwise he'd have a massive, glaring weakness.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mikl posted:

Maybe it's an issue with Jump in general this time? The Black Clover chapter is also very rough.

Good point, maybe the leaked/stolen copy this time around was early drafts? Or maybe both artists just had some issues. It's curious. I can't wait to see the magazine proper or the official version and see if it has the same art.

Chapter itself was great though, the reveal of Midoriya's secret legitimately cracked me up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, regardless of the art quality, the chapter was positively jam packed with stuff. Midoriya's obsession playing a part in the fight was perfect.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think Horikoshi and Tataba are probably meeting with their respective anime crews given how incredibly rough the chapters are.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Fabricated posted:

I think Horikoshi and Tataba are probably meeting with their respective anime crews given how incredibly rough the chapters are.

poo poo this is probably exactly it I just got done reading both of them and wondered what the hell was going on

I think mirio vs birdman wont end with any losses but deku might take the girl? idk

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

so is someone gonna link the chapter

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Mangastream

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Welp Deku's dead, it was a good series.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Maybe Horikoshi IS going to make this the new HxH, now the art is just following suite

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I thought that chapter has some stylistic thing going I was just not getting but it looks like that's not the case. It was crazy unfinished.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I liked the art

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm sure the volume release version will fix all the issues.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Lay off the art. Yes, it's rough in a couple of places, but manga artists are on such a ridiculous schedule that the fact that 15/19 pages of this are amazing quality is a major feat already.

In any case, I didn't expect this next arc to ramp up quite so quickly. Deku also mentions his "long" internship. I'm guessing this will be a lengthy arc.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Horikoshi was probably having a busy week or something. He's a young dude, surely can't be as hosed up as Togashi.

My x Hunter x Academia is kind of endearing this one time though. Wouldn't want it to be a running thing, for Horikoshi and the manga's state.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
People who start talking about the new chapter without linking it and before it is linked should be summarily executed.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm going to start talking about the Souma chapter here.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Crazyeyes posted:

People who start talking about the new chapter without linking it and before it is linked should be summarily executed.

:same: except without the execution because that's a little psychotic.

https://mangastream.com/r/my_hero_academia/128/4054/1

If you've been reading odds are you have a link. :justpost: it!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Hate-Senpai posted:

I'm going to start talking about the Souma chapter here.

nooooo it's not out yet :(

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
how do you beat nighteye's quirk?

you don't

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
That last page :dogbutton:

How does this keep happening to my boy Midoriya

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

how do you beat nighteye's quirk?

you don't

If you are quick, powerful or whatever enough to kick his rear end, he's just going to see himself get his rear end kicked, I guess?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

I kinda just use Manga rock app on the phone. It supports most of all the usual outlets, but if you use anything but Batoto I pity you.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i saw someone speculating that a deadline was moved up or something because apparently black clover's author struggled this week too

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Vengarr posted:

That last page :dogbutton:

How does this keep happening to my boy Midoriya

I have no idea how that confrontation goes down since Midoriya just got told that guy was on their watch list 10 minutes prior. In a situation where it was just a creepy guy trying to recapture the girl maybe it works out where she goes back complicitly out of fear but not in this case where he's wearing the mask and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Reinanigans posted:

Lay off the art. Yes, it's rough in a couple of places, but manga artists are on such a ridiculous schedule that the fact that 15/19 pages of this are amazing quality is a major feat already.

In any case, I didn't expect this next arc to ramp up quite so quickly. Deku also mentions his "long" internship. I'm guessing this will be a lengthy arc.

It's weird how brutal this is. I wonder how much of the editorial process slows this down.

Horikoshi is a classically-educated and trained artist too which IIRC isn't the norm for a lot of mangaka so he almost certainly has a good workflow, knows how to avoid RSI, etc. But then again, he apparently isn't super up on print media because early on his color pages and the like were getting loving murdered by CYMK (something he has openly admitted and since improved on a lot).

Radish posted:

I have no idea how that confrontation goes down since Midoriya just got told that guy was on their watch list 10 minutes prior. In a situation where it was just a creepy guy trying to recapture the girl maybe it works out where she goes back complicitly out of fear but not in this case where he's wearing the mask and everything.
If Midoriya is smart he'll just pick up the girl and book it out of there with Mirio. Civvies first.