Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Mercedes had to move this afternoons testing/"filming day" to early morning before the storm hit so we have pictures.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/new-mercedes-f1-car-breaks-cover-at-silverstone-876241/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's not ugly and it has the same giant bargeboards as the Renault.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

wicka posted:

Haas 9th, Sauber 10th, and I cannot possibly fathom anything changing that.

The Haas question to me is simply.

"Who can they beat?"

They only beat Renault and Sauber of the 2017 teams last year. Next up and the only one really in range were Toro Rosso and maybe McLaren.

Renault will surely have improved, McLaren won't go backwards at least. Toro Rosso beat them with a year old version of the same engine, with a modern Renault they're not being caught by Haas.

So yeah, 9th. Yes at least they have 2 drivers this year but doubling their points from last year wouldn't actually have gained them a place.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I predict that this year all the cars will have One Thing that will completely ruin the aesthetic of the cars. Overhead shot of that merc is atrocious.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
"Gomping"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dudley posted:

The Haas question to me is simply.

"Who can they beat?"

They only beat Renault and Sauber of the 2017 teams last year. Next up and the only one really in range were Toro Rosso and maybe McLaren.

Renault will surely have improved, McLaren won't go backwards at least. Toro Rosso beat them with a year old version of the same engine, with a modern Renault they're not being caught by Haas.

So yeah, 9th. Yes at least they have 2 drivers this year but doubling their points from last year wouldn't actually have gained them a place.

Exactly. I expect them to work out some of their reliability issues from last year, like I don't think their brakes are going to explode every other race, but I don't think they're going to make any significant performance steps forward until they start bringing more car design in house.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dear lord

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/834734287278706689

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Side contact, and cars crawling back to the pits tyres a-flapping, is going to be a lot more interesting this year at any rate.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I am still so loving angry about that hideous Petronas piss color ruining the silver of the Silver Arrows. Adolf would be ashamed.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

An AI must have designed that as its nuts.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Instead of a huge shark fin, they have gills.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I am still so loving angry about that hideous Petronas piss color ruining the silver of the Silver Arrows. Adolf would be ashamed.

and to make it better, this year it's a blend - green for Petronas, blue for Mercedes' EQ electric car branding that's being built up.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

The merc is..... good.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

learnincurve posted:

Storm Doris update, wind is certainly up. Flights are being canceled, trains have speed limits, and high sided vehicles are only being driven by lunatics.

Edit: it's not relevant just because of the merc thing, last time we had winds this high the stands at silverstone got utterly trashed and it cost millions to fix it up.

and I walked to the shops at lunchtime :smug:

learnincurve posted:

Mercedes had to move this afternoons testing/"filming day" to early morning before the storm hit so we have pictures.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/new-mercedes-f1-car-breaks-cover-at-silverstone-876241/

conspiracy against Bottas to be honest

ImplicitAssembler posted:

How come no one is making italic predictions?

I'm all about the subscript predictions

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

poty posted:

Lewis will win every race, clinching the championship by Monza, where all the tifosi will repent from Ferrari and become Lewis fans. He will also win last year's championship after Rosberg admits he only won because of a conspiracy with Charlie Whiting (who didn't punish his cheating) and Niki Lauda (who sabotaged Lewis' car). Article 50 will make Great Britain the most successful country of all time. The EU will beg us to come back, offering a new membership where we don't pay anything but make all the decisions, but we will refuse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lttlLYbNaY

Trigger Warning: This video will show each time HAM wins a race this year. Sorry boot that. Maybe the merc will suck.

learnincurve posted:

Its by far the prettiest, no shark fin or dick nose, and i like the bargeboard and floor, very "Pikes peak rally car". But.... "W08 EQ Power+... poo poo name, reminds me of how the Audi LMP car kept sprouting subscript.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 23, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
:lol: if Bottas is getting his turn now.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

How come no one is making italic predictions?

No one is honestly expecting much from Ferrari...

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Bold Prediction: The Mercs look best and win all the stuff

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Ferrari will continue to be my terrible joys.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Underlined prediction: Merc will do best without a massive sharkfin

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Benz is aesthetically pleasing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

The Benz is aesthetically pleasing.

It is, though the front wing is not, but that's a plague across the sport and is starting to infect indy too.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
What the heck is this though, it wasn't there earlier.

https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/834770637734473730

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Well that would be why they didn't run the sharkfin. Bet every team that designed their car with the sharkfin in mind is now making GBS threads themselves.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

pik_d posted:

TSAEDJE

TELL ME WHAT THIS DOES

for real I have no clue what purpose this could possibly serve

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

pik_d posted:

I'm hesitant to say they may have stumbled on something, mostly because that very well could be a piece of testing equipment there for testing airflow. I could be wrong though, given they did give us the double-DRS.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I bet Ferarri try to get that banned on safety grounds. You could argue that it's part of the rear wing making it not regulation height.

Edit: that may be what it does, be obviously dubious so Ferrari get distracted from the actually dubious part.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 23, 2017

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Would assume it's to do with getting better airflow to the rear wing, might have a secondary effect with DRS.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
It probably makes some wicked sick vortices on the rear wing, all things considered

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Something I'm curious about, and I noticed it on the Force India as well, is the little holes on the back of the engine cover. I don't think those were there last year.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I bet Ferarri try to get that banned on safety grounds. You could argue that it's part of the rear wing making it not regulation height.

Edit: that may be what it does, be obviously dubious so Ferrari get distracted from the actually dubious part.

poo poo, I bet you're right.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

pik_d posted:

Looks like Brawn is moonlighting at Mercedes.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

It would be funny if that was there just to simulate different rear wings to cut out the time to change them in testing and Ferrari loses their poo poo over it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

It would be funny if that was there just to simulate different rear wings to cut out the time to change them in testing and Ferrari loses their poo poo over it.

What's easier, baiting Ferrari or baiting the Worst Thread as a whole?

My money is on Ferrari at this point.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

TSAEDJE

TELL ME WHAT THIS DOES

for real I have no clue what purpose this could possibly serve

I'm willing to bet it acts in similar fashion to the "extended" diffuser that the Jaguar XJR-14 ran, aka the Twin-Tier rear wing, although this would appear to be the inverse where it's mounted high up instead of down low. http://www.mulsannescorner.com/JaguarXJR-14-2.html

gently caress, i probably worded that like a retard.

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 23, 2017

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Whatever it is, I love it and dub it the T-wing

e:

"The dimensions of it seem to be the width and height of the old 2016 spec rear wing, perhaps exploiting a leftover from the old technical regulations carried over into the ’17 rule book." :lol: if this is true

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Tsaedje posted:

Whatever it is, I love it and dub it the T-wing

e:

"The dimensions of it seem to be the width and height of the old 2016 spec rear wing, perhaps exploiting a leftover from the old technical regulations carried over into the ’17 rule book." :lol: if this is true

Que incessant bitching and moaning from butt buddies Horner and Skiddyrear Ferrari.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

learnincurve posted:

I predict that this year all the cars will have One Thing that will completely ruin the aesthetic of the cars. Overhead shot of that merc is atrocious.

The cars are fine

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I suspect they will get it on movable aero and flexing parts as well. I bet it's just sensors placeholding for the real shark fin we won't see till qualifying in Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Norns posted:

The cars are fine

The floor on that Mercedes looks appalling when compared to IndyCars. It looks like a piece of vacuum formed plastic.

• Locked thread