Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

IcePhoenix posted:

I pre-ordered the game because it's 20% cheaper than buying it on launch

It's infinitely more expensive than not buying it all when it proves to be real bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Actually its only $60 more expensive.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Cora looks good and cool. I look forward to having her charge into a singularity to blow up half a dozen enemy mooks.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Preordering frontloads profits and creates perverse incentives towards marketing and initial splash over gameplay. Get excited by all means, but at least wait for reviews before giving Bioware another chance to break your heart.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kavak posted:

Preordering frontloads profits and creates perverse incentives towards marketing and initial splash over gameplay. Get excited by all means, but at least wait for reviews before giving Bioware another chance to break your heart.

I would be very surprised if Andromeda permitted any reviews in advance of its release.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Serf posted:

I guess I'll roll with Drack and... Peebee? Maybe?? Possibly Vetra. Liam seems chill, maybe I'll bring him along, I dunno. The fat-neck catman and Cora can stay on the ship if only because there's no garbage heap to toss them in.

According to one of those early impressions articles, Drack is pretty much Wrex/Zaeed, Vetra is more similar to Tali, Liam is Cockney and apparently an easy-going bro. Peebee is 'spiky', whatever the gently caress that means and Cora is the serious one.

All in all, exactly what you expected when you saw them.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Well we are going to have a ton of canaries in the coal mine with the 10 hour week early preview so that won't be so bad.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 23, 2017

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

exquisite tea posted:

I would be very surprised if Andromeda permitted any reviews in advance of its release.

This combined with a preorder push is always a good sign :lolplant:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kavak posted:

Get excited by all means, but at least wait for reviews before giving Bioware another chance to break your heart.

This is my stance. I hope Andromeda will be good, but I'm not really expecting it to be. At best, I think it will be like Inquisition and ME3 - a deeply flawed game with some good bits trying to redeem a lot of bad and tedious bits.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zakmonster posted:

According to one of those early impressions articles, Drack is pretty much Wrex/Zaeed, Vetra is more similar to Tali, Liam is Cockney and apparently an easy-going bro. Peebee is 'spiky', whatever the gently caress that means and Cora is the serious one.

All in all, exactly what you expected when you saw them.

This is cool. Wrex was always my second favorite after Garrus, and Zaeed was cool too, so Drack is definitely in. Still undecided between Peebee/Liam/Vetra for my third, so we'll see how they are in the actual game.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kavak posted:

Meh, ME:3 didn't break my heart, Dragon Age Inquisition didn't break my heart. DA:2 came close but I only paid like 20 bucks for it from a friend who got it for free with like a graphics card or something. I had more than enough fun with it to justify the 20 bucks I spent on it.

I doubt this game will be the one to break me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

exquisite tea posted:

Uh they're literally coming out tomorrow so...

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Zore posted:

Uh they're literally coming out tomorrow so...

A bunch of sites already have their early impressions (based on ~4 hours of gameplay they got) out. Posted no more than an hour ago.

EDIT: Plenty of them have unkind things to say about the human faces and the awkwardness of the facial animations. The infamous clip of Sara Ryder was apparently 'fixed', though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kavak posted:

I've enjoyed every Bioware game to date so they still get benefit of the doubt with me. Whatever that says about the state of heart!

Edit: Okay, I guess technically I've never played Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, but aside from that.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Don't loving preorder this game ffs

You know, I wasn't going to cause I'm lazy and opening Origin is a hassle, but this was just the sort of push I needed to go ahead and preorder. Thanks, friend!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 23, 2017

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-23-watch-15-things-you-didnt-know-about-mass-effect-andromeda

Bioware posted:

Finally, what's going on with the quarians in Mass Effect Andromeda? BioWare is still refusing to confirm whether we'll see the suited race in the new game or definitely rule them out - but it sounds like they will at least play a minor part:

"You should look for them..." Mass Effect Andromeda producer Fabrice Condominas told me, "but I can't answer. If you're really interested to know what happened to the quarians - where they are - be careful of the choices you make and pay attention..."

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Kavak posted:

I think I am okay with a few months of videos and behind the scenes stuff as opposed to literally two years of Marilyn Manson music video and Mountain Dew sweepstakes.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Skippy McPants posted:

You know, I'm lazy so I wasn't going to, but this was just the sort of push I needed to go ahead and preorder. Thanks, friend!

:smugdon:

Retards who harm themselves out of spiteful rage towards their betters never cease to amaze me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Serf
May 5, 2011

The Polygon article doesn't really say much beyond "I played 90 minutes of the game and that wasn't enough time to say anything" somehow stretched out into 1000 words. But it was written by Gies, so it's immediately suspect on top of being a big pile of nothing. I'd rather read something from Kollar or one of the McElroys for some real thoughts.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Retards who harm themselves out of spiteful rage towards their betters never cease to amaze me.

Unless the game reached down my throat and ripped my gizzard out, I was going to buy it anyway, so the spite is just a bonus.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Zakmonster posted:

A bunch of sites already have their early impressions (based on ~4 hours of gameplay they got) out. Posted no more than an hour ago.

EDIT: Plenty of them have unkind things to say about the human faces and the awkwardness of the facial animations. The infamous clip of Sara Ryder was apparently 'fixed', though.

A few of them sound like we're getting what we feared: Mass Effect: Inquisition

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

We feared this? DA: I is a fun game, I look forward to playing DA: Spacemans.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Serf posted:

The Polygon article doesn't really say much beyond "I played 90 minutes of the game and that wasn't enough time to say anything" somehow stretched out into 1000 words. But it was written by Gies, so it's immediately suspect on top of being a big pile of nothing. I'd rather read something from Kollar or one of the McElroys for some real thoughts.

Here's something substantial from the IGN preview:

quote:

With all of that said, Mass Effect: Andromeda did have some pretty enormous performance issues in it’s pre-release state. There were frequent visual glitches including jarring frame-rate drops, audio dropped out a few times, and there were two separate instances where I was unable to progress because a line of dialogue that was supposed to be said never was, so I was forced to reload my save. The newly automated cover system was a little finicky, too, with my character popping in and out even when I didn’t want them to, and sometimes I wasn’t able to use my jetpack to jump because I had ‘clipped’ on cover.

Don't worry though, I'm sure it'll all be fixed in a day one patch.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

AlternateAccount posted:

Mass Effect: Inquisition would be pretty good though.

My only issue with Inquisition was not liking the combat.. Mass Effect doesn't have that issue.

Serf
May 5, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, probably.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

exquisite tea posted:

" I wasn’t able to use my jetpack to jump because I had ‘clipped’ on cover."

Hey, it's Son of Vanguard Rapture.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

I'm not too fussed about that. Combat in ME is far more engaging than DA, so running around shooting mans will not get old.

And scanning for/gathering resources, which is my biggest gripe these games - a duping glitch was discovered in the first week of DA:I, which made resource gathering in the game redundant. I'm assuming some similar workaround will also happen for Andromeda.

exquisite tea posted:

Does Origin allow refunds? I don't think any developer wants to be Arkham Knight part 2.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dexo posted:

Mass Effect: Inquisition would be pretty good though.

My only issue with Inquisition was not liking the combat.. Mass Effect doesn't have that issue.

Yeah, I mean, I liked Inquisition enough to buy it twice and dump 150 hours into it. So being able to do that while also playing a physics god with laser shotguns seems like a win.

Spiting the doomsayers just seems like a Schadenbonus.

Zakmonster posted:

Does Origin allow refunds? I don't think any developer wants to be Arkham Knight part 2.

Mankind Divided was almost Arkham Knight part 2, There was a hard crash to desktop after an unskippable 8 minute in-engine cutscene that affected 90% of the playerbase (it was eventually fixed like, 3 days later), and there were several other places where if you saved at the wrong time the came couldn't load it because it couldn't render objects properly. They fixed it eventually but I still haven't finished the game because I lost all momentum.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 23, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If it doesn't run on your computer you'll be able to refund, so...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Zakmonster posted:

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/great-game-guarantee

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Fangz posted:

If it doesn't run on your computer you'll be able to refund, so...

I'm not worried about my computer being unable to meet specs - I was going to upgrade my system anyway. I'm worrying about crippling game bugs like what happened in Arkham Knight - I still haven't played that game, to this day.

Awesome.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Mass Effect: Inquisition could work if they take the 70% of DAI that was good and ditch the busywork.
A lot of the characters in DAI were pretty poo poo though, hopefully these are better.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Buying fun video games isn't self harm, mate.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
much of the issue with Inquisition was that the quests you got while tooling around the different locations were not compelling. This wasn't helped by the fact that they never switched to cinematic camera when talking to minor NPCs, so every conversation with them felt less consequential. Like I could tell you what Bella the barmaid from DA:O looks like eight years later but I couldn't pick Leliana's second-in-command Charter out of a lineup.

Andromeda could be just as sandboxy as Inquisition was and if the sidequests are more Witcher 3 than Inquisition then it'll be ten times better

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Pattonesque posted:

more Witcher 3 than Inquisition then it'll be ten times better

If CD Projekt made every game, they would all be ten times better.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I preordered because I like Mass Effect games and this is a Mass Effect game

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

much of the issue with Inquisition was that the quests you got while tooling around the different locations were not compelling. This wasn't helped by the fact that they never switched to cinematic camera when talking to minor NPCs, so every conversation with them felt less consequential. Like I could tell you what Bella the barmaid from DA:O looks like eight years later but I couldn't pick Leliana's second-in-command Charter out of a lineup.

Andromeda could be just as sandboxy as Inquisition was and if the sidequests are more Witcher 3 than Inquisition then it'll be ten times better

This, but also the sheer time suck of running around the stupidly big castle to talk to your squaddies, hit up the vendors, and do the stupid war table thing.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I mean, I sure hope their nod to Witcher 3 as a big influence is more than lip service, but I wouldn't count on it. I'm unsure if Bioware has the level of talent required to mimic what made W3 good without somehow making it kitsch and lowest common denominator. Like, nobody can play DA:I and not think that loving billions of hours have gone into this, buckets of polish and so on. Yet it feels like a shallow anachronism compared to Witcher 3. I started playing Witcher 3 two-thirds through DA:I. I was rather enjoying it, but the moment I played Witcher 3 I just dropped it and never came back. It was like a loving paradigm shift.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Qwezz posted:

have I got a link for you if you haven't listened to it already.

I really hope the music is good for andromeda. it's the biggest thing that gives me nostalgic feelings about the trilogy. Vigil's theme, Saren's, Uncharted worlds, Tali's theme, Suicide Mission, Terminus blues, Dear Jessie, For Tuchanka, I'm sorry, and of course I'm proud of you. Good stuff.

Plus Faunts. Andromeda better have some Faunts rolling with the credits.
From a few pages back, but Saren's theme is and was absolutely fantastic.
Not only is it a good track in its own right, the way they used it is absolutely brilliant. Having it play every time you die conditions you to hate the antagonist.

As for the gameplay video posted, I think it looks pretty good, and I'm starting to get a bit excited about the game.
I was sceptical about the only three powers at a time thing, but seeing it in action and thinking about it further has swayed me.
Sure, playing Adept in ME1 and unleashing your full arsenal of biotic gently caress you in a room was fun, but then you got a period of time where you couldn't do anything. As long as they time all the cooldowns in a way that feels good, I think it'll be a good system.
At least on PC where you can hotkey the favourites. Not that I would ever want to play a shooter with a controller anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jeza posted:

I mean, I sure hope their nod to Witcher 3 as a big influence is more than lip service, but I wouldn't count on it. I'm unsure if Bioware has the level of talent required to mimic what made W3 good without somehow making it kitsch and lowest common denominator. Like, nobody can play DA:I and not think that loving billions of hours have gone into this, buckets of polish and so on. Yet it feels like a shallow anachronism compared to Witcher 3. I started playing Witcher 3 two-thirds through DA:I. I was rather enjoying it, but the moment I played Witcher 3 I just dropped it and never came back. It was like a loving paradigm shift.

I will never understand what people see in the Witcher franchise. 3 is still the only game I've gotten a steam refund for because it was so loving bad.

The combat is atrocious, Geralt is like an over the top parody (he's super sexy and lives basically forever and all the women he meets just throw themselves at him but its cool because he's magically infertile) etc.