Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The valkyrie is one of the coolest characters in the game and I hope she gets better soon as well

I want to be a huge viking lady with ramhornhelmet, spearing my enemies while yelling incoherently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Haroshia posted:

Orochi because weeaboos, and Wardens because they are literally retarded easymode OP right now.

Don't forget peacekeeper who can just flail out attacks faster than some characters can actually stance dance to stop.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I am not entirely sure I like the fact that if multiple people are attacking you, you can successfully block all attacks made by the 2nd+ attacker just by stiff arming in their direction.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

played a few games of dominion with a team of all conquerers and we were unstoppable and lordy did the salt flow

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yardbomb posted:

Don't forget peacekeeper who can just flail out attacks faster than some characters can actually stance dance to stop.

Yeah, the Peacekeeper is retarded right now.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

signalnoise posted:

poo poo, if you deflect with an Orochi instead, you get an instant mixup that the enemy has to predict whether they immediately spam something or get stabbed in the gut.

Valk's deflect is fine as it is as well. I like it. I managed to pull it off a few times, it was quite satisfying. But everything else is rear end.

Also, I discovered today that Orochi can also deflect overhead attacks. You just gotta dodge forward into the attack at the last second. It's just the best feeling when you do it. I just never risk using the heavy gut stab cause people always recover before it connects and I get booted out of my super sick ninja move. Or when you pull off a deflect without meaning to then spend the rest of the fight sad cause you didn't actually do anything with it cause it caught you by surprise.

I love when I come across enemies who call bullshit on my first deflect, so they hit me with another predictable attack that I deflect the second time. If they're good, they'll start feinting me and stop giving such easy-to-deflect attacks. If they're bad, they just back off slowly and hesitate on what to do.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Locking gears behind reputation (or having stats in gear) was a stupid idea imo. It should have been only about looks, but then I guess Ubisoft got greedy with micro-transactions.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Loopoo posted:

Valk's deflect is fine as it is as well. I like it. I managed to pull it off a few times, it was quite satisfying. But everything else is rear end.

Also, I discovered today that Orochi can also deflect overhead attacks. You just gotta dodge forward into the attack at the last second. It's just the best feeling when you do it. I just never risk using the heavy gut stab cause people always recover before it connects and I get booted out of my super sick ninja move. Or when you pull off a deflect without meaning to then spend the rest of the fight sad cause you didn't actually do anything with it cause it caught you by surprise.

I love when I come across enemies who call bullshit on my first deflect, so they hit me with another predictable attack that I deflect the second time. If they're good, they'll start feinting me and stop giving such easy-to-deflect attacks. If they're bad, they just back off slowly and hesitate on what to do.

The thing is that Valk's Deflect-attack actually isn't guaranteed. It can just be blocked as normal, it's not even unblockable like Orochi's slower deflect-attack. Combined with her lovely parry that can't be followed by anything turns regular deflecting and parrying into kind of a trap. It's a good thing her dodge-lights are going to be buffed, because those are basically the only reliable punishes she has.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dezztroy posted:

Conqueror doesn't have a huge moveset but what he does have is solid. He's far from the worst in the game, that title belongs to the Raider. Or maybe Lawbringer, depends who you ask.

I'd def put Lawbringer on the bottom because you have to be passive and depend on mistakes and his moveset loving sucks. Raider I can use but his moveset just seems so limited. I just stick to his light attacks because no one is stupid enough to get tackled. He just has nothing special going for him while Kensei has some technical poo poo and Warden is just braindead easy-tier.

I had a game vs AI wherein like 3 loving people dropped in and out. It's a loving AI game look just because you died once doesn't mean you have to disconnect in anger, jesus. The amount of people who quit after being thrown into a pit is astronomical.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Raider is one of the strongest classes in dominion tbh

His unblockable alone is gold but his tackles become so much better in multiple person engagements as well

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Zzulu posted:

His unblockable alone is gold but his tackles become so much better in multiple person engagements as well

Not to mention they're one of the best classes for taking and holding the Front

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Shugoki is also completely hilarious in group fights. Wide-arcing unblockables that hit for ridiculous damage, a simple guardbreak-followup to knock a guy prone, and last but not least the deathcuddle that allows all your teammates to get their hits in while the enemy is completely helpless.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zzulu posted:

dominion is the broken brained gangbang mode so I don't put too much stock in how classes do in it. Anyone can do well if you're constantly in a pack and backstabbing dudes, I just run at people and do my leap attack with Zerker and Warlord constantly

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

dominion is the broken brained gangbang mode so I don't put too much stock in how classes do in it. Anyone can do well if you're constantly in a pack and backstabbing dudes, I just run at people and do my leap attack with Zerker and Warlord constantly

Parried :smug:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Capn Beeb posted:

You have to pop her sweep loving immediately, otherwise anyone can step away from it. Even without stamina, because that makes sense.

My favorite part of playing as a valkyrie is how her guard break range is loving tiny compared to everyone else. I've seen so many enemies skate right up to me from spear range, tank the stab in the face, then grab me. Meanwhile, I have to be in kissing range to grab them. :shrug:

Yeah it's deeply frustrating that I can't always get a guard break off a parry. Sometimes the guard break follow-up seems to travel a good bit of distance to hit the opponent, the other times I just whiff a guard break and am standing in front of my now recovered opponent vulnerable as all hell.

I can't really tell if this is a bug or a function of her limited guard break distance because I swear sometimes the character misses the guard break off the parry despite being quite close, while other times I'm further away and am able to guard break off the parry without an issue.

It's uh, really stupid that I can't consistently punish someone after parrying them though!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Am I right in the perception that Warden effectively has a built in (to steal an FG term, which this game seems to need) mixup, in being able to cancel the unblockable into Throw? Feels like a pretty basic loop they can just get up close and repeat, and the window for escape is quite small. I've still not mechanically 'got' this, just my impression from playing versus it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Loopoo posted:

Valk's deflect seems much harder to pull off from my (very limited) testing with the Orochi, and as someone else said the follow up stab can be blocked which is really cool and not stupid at all.

Also another day another few people complaining about how Valks are overpowered now that they got buffed.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Dreylad posted:

Valk's deflect seems much harder to pull off from my (very limited) testing with the Orochi, and as someone else said the follow up stab can be blocked which is really cool and not stupid at all.

Also another day another few people complaining about how Valks are overpowered now that they got buffed.

The Valk dodge block has the exact same timing as a parry, it's super easy once you realise that.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Some dudes on reddit made a hot tips guide for fighting against each class, pretty good stuff: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XcC4tBm4q5DOKvjqEpZeiPq6GCSrtAES3h0rYK887BU/edit

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

The Valk dodge block has the exact same timing as a parry, it's super easy once you realise that.

It really does not. It is a much smaller window.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Shockeh posted:

Am I right in the perception that Warden effectively has a built in (to steal an FG term, which this game seems to need) mixup, in being able to cancel the unblockable into Throw? Feels like a pretty basic loop they can just get up close and repeat, and the window for escape is quite small. I've still not mechanically 'got' this, just my impression from playing versus it.

You are 100% right, instead of calling it a "loop" (perfectly good name btw) it's called a "vortex" because you're stuck in it until you guess right and escape.

I personally hate that type of design but w/e, it's a reality of the genre and devs keep making characters that do it so...

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think revenge is really stupid and should just be removed from the game, but if they're not going to do that getting rid of the knockdown and stamina boost should be enough.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

I think revenge is really stupid and should just be removed from the game, but if they're not going to do that getting rid of the knockdown and stamina boost should be enough.

Or just turn it into a 3- to 4-second "can't die" phase. Like, you're health can be reduced to near-zero, just no one can land a killing blow during that interval.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fadam posted:

If they just made it so that it was more of an emergency thing you'd get if you either started getting your rear end kicked or were really on the ropes in a fight and blocking all sorts of attacks from 2-4 members of Team Afterschool it would be decent as-is. You get a stat boost for a few seconds and if you pop it at the right time it auto parries with a knockdown, after which you're probably able to swing the odds a little more in your favor. One specific gear stat is being minmaxed by people so that they can pop it nearly continuously.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

FAUXTON posted:

One specific gear stat is being minmaxed by people so that they can pop it nearly continuously.

Yep, this is the problem I have with it too. It's fine as a mechanic to even out fights where a player is outnumbered. It is not fine as a mechanic when gear stats can give it ridiculous uptime.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I only play one full game a day because I get disconnected every loving game

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

fadam posted:

The knockdown and stamina boost are like 90% of the entire point of Revenge. Revenge fulfills a legit purpose: It's a come back mechanic for when you're outnumbered, but is not any sure proof of victory in the 4v4 modes.

The problem with Revenge is Revenge gain gear. That's it. You get rid of Revenge gain gear and the game mechanic is fine.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Wouldn't every 2 on 1 and 3 on 1 be a guaranteed loss without revenge?

Maybe, the strategy on 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 would need to change.

But right now if its a 1 on 1 duel and they block 3 attacks they get revenge mode, which is bullshit.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Dreylad posted:

The valkyrie patch that buffs here isn't even in the game yet!!!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Exmond posted:

The valkyrie patch that buffs here isn't even in the game yet!!!

I know! But they're too strong because they got buffed you see

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

The knockdown and stamina boost are like 90% of the entire point of Revenge. Revenge fulfills a legit purpose: It's a come back mechanic for when you're outnumbered, but is not any sure proof of victory in the 4v4 modes.

The problem with Revenge is Revenge gain gear. That's it. You get rid of Revenge gain gear and the game mechanic is fine.

Revenge serves its purpose well enough if its just a boost of temp HP that also breaks grabs. Attaching all the extra stuff to it makes fighting 2v1s or cleaning up after a fight annoying.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Wouldn't every 2 on 1 and 3 on 1 be a guaranteed loss without revenge?

They should be.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Until yesterday I was running this in Strict NAT. This led to longer wait times, but it also seemed to land me in much more stable games (probably because shitheads wouldn't quit as quickly). I switched to Open NAT and my wait time is non-existent, but games also tend to collapse much faster because when you dominate another team, everyone quits between matches. The P2P connections are a liability at this point because it doesn't find replacement players, so you might as well quit yourself.

All that being said, having a blast with the game so far.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

fadam posted:

They should be.

Hard disagree.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

fadam posted:

They should be.

That'd be lame as all hell though, like even with revenge 3v1 is still usually a losing battle if the gang aren't all eating big rear end swipes in a clump or something, 2v1 being insta-loss every time would make so many fights just poo poo.

Revenge as it is I'm pretty fine with honestly, it's just the cheeseball retardation that is maxed out revenge gain gear that's making it way too over the top.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If you're destined to lose all 2v1 and up battles then why even have 2v2 and up modes? It basically means the team with the first guy to win a fight and go help a teammate is going to achieve total victory 99% of the time.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

You can already throw people off of cliffs and into spikes for an instant kill as a come back mechanic, and in the 4v4 modes you can always just run away from the fight. Making your teammate a liability in a 2v1 or rewarding the guy who kills his opponent slower in brawl is retarded.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

fadam posted:

You can already throw people off of cliffs and into spikes for an instant kill as a come back mechanic, and in the 4v4 modes you can always just run away from the fight. Making your teammate a liability in a 2v1 or rewarding the guy who kills his opponent slower in brawl is retarded.

2+v1 fights with normal Revenge (i.e. not dumbass stacked gear) is actually interesting, though. It requires thought and skill and tactical adjustment. Your version - where they just brainlessly hack the guy to death or he runs away and they spend an ~exciting time~ chasing him is - actually very bad.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Nah it's actually very good, and certainly better than having a teammate swing into the guy you're fighting's guard and give him super powers.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

fadam posted:

Nah it's actually very good, and certainly better than having a teammate swing into the guy you're fighting's guard and give him super powers.

I'm not really sure why you think so. 1v2 with Revenge is still a disadvantage. The problem comes from multiple revenge applications in the same fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Fun balance facts-

An orochi and a lawbringer walk up to eachother.
Lawbringer is the highest HP (fatty has 10 more but also takes bonus damage).
Orochi has the lowest.

Both characters will hit eachother with a single light attack at the same time untill one is dead.

The orochi will win this duel. With roughly 25% of his HP left.

This is called balance.

This games balance is super smash Bros melee,but the assassin's are the space furries, warden is Marth, and everyone else is Yoshi.

Double Monocle fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 23, 2017