Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

corn in the bible posted:

What is the point of 4k output if it can't play 4k Blu-ray? It sure as gently caress can't play videogames at 4k and I can get a cheap Netflix box that'll handle that stuff

It upscales games to 4K and a few less demanding ones have native 4K modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oddium posted:

[david hayter voice] 4. k. ports

don't be a hayter

[andrew anthony voice] 4. K. Ports. It's in the game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lobok posted:

don't be a hayter

[andrew anthony voice] 4. K. Ports. It's in the game.

[kiefer sutherland voice] ...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Specter of Torment is a timed Nintendo exclusive...son of a bitch

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm getting ready to eat my words on Mass Effect Andromeda's gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3q_Nd5arZM

Am I wrong that this looks pretty okay? Nothing revolutionary, but it looks fun to play with. I remain very skeptical about whether the story will be any good, but the gameplay looks pretty all right to me.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

I'm getting ready to eat my words on Mass Effect Andromeda's gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3q_Nd5arZM

Am I wrong that this looks pretty okay? Nothing revolutionary, but it looks fun to play with. I remain very skeptical about whether the story will be any good, but the gameplay looks pretty all right to me.

I think it looks awesome, I'm just sad it's not going to be that super smooth 60fps on console. Easily a leap forward for the series because it's not restricted by class anymore, and the jetpack verticality owns a lot. It kind of reminds me of Destiny crossed with Binary Domain. I'm genuinely looking forward to any multiplayer options with Andromeda.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I mean it looks like Mass Effect in short bursts but I'm wary that none of the gameplay loops we've seen have gone on for more than a few minutes, and the generic-looking locations make me think we're going to be stuck visiting the same half dozen prefab installations the entire game. How about showing us a short comprehensive mission from start to finish with all the bells and whistles.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I mean it looks like Mass Effect in short bursts but I'm wary that none of the gameplay loops we've seen have gone on for more than a few minutes, and the generic-looking locations make me think we're going to be stuck visiting the same half dozen prefab installations the entire game. How about showing us a short comprehensive mission from start to finish with all the bells and whistles.

That'd definitely be nice. They are focusing a lot on the whole "exploration" aspect this time and that can really go two ways: either they've put a lot of work into a cool open world that they'll show off in a later one of these videos, or they've entirely phoned it in and are banking on size to win out over variety, which it never does. You're super right to be skeptical.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm tentatively looking forward to it but tbh the only BioWare game I haven't enjoyed is DA2 and I still played through the whole thing so

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm tentatively looking forward to it but tbh the only BioWare game I haven't enjoyed is DA2 and I still played through the whole thing so

I loving played DA2 twice through and didn't even enjoy it all that much. In my defense, I was really bored and was a poor grad student at the time so it was one of the few games I had, but still. Clearly I'm still a sucker for Bioware.

Now that I think about it, I actually agree with you that DA2, to date, is the only Bioware game I've played that I don't like. Even that one I respect what they were trying to do, even if they utterly failed. And to be fair, I never actually played ME3, so I can't say whether I like it or not. It looks like it was probably perfectly good right up until the ending, from what I can tell.

I kind of expect Andromeda to be the Mass Effect version of DA Inquisition: a decent, if forgettable, story, with a few good characters, solid gameplay, and a kind of :shrug: open world. Which is fine, all told, even if I'd love it to be more.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I thought Inquisition had a really good story, in fact it's what probably saved the whole game for me because the combat was bland + easily breakable and the collectathon stuff could be kind of oppressive. Most people assume it's just the standard boilerplate Bioware "confront a world-ending threat over three acts" but there's actually a much richer and deeper intrigue going on just underneath the surface. I thought that was genuinely cool and you don't really see that in too many RPGs. I liked that Inquisition was willing to blow up the lore from the first two games and took it in a totally different direction that I didn't expect from Ye Old Grimdarke Fantasie.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hope they do with Dragon Age what they're doing with Mass Effect. Modernizing the loving awful, janky combat from Inquisition into something that's smoother and flashier would go a long, long way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I thought Inquisition had a really good story, in fact it's what probably saved the whole game for me because the combat was bland + easily breakable and the collectathon stuff could be kind of oppressive. Most people assume it's just the standard boilerplate Bioware "confront a world-ending threat over three acts" but there's actually a much richer and deeper intrigue going on just underneath the surface. I thought that was genuinely cool and you don't really see that in too many RPGs. I liked that Inquisition was willing to blow up the lore from the first two games and took it in a totally different direction that I didn't expect from Ye Old Grimdarke Fantasie.

To be fair, by the "story" in Inquisition, I mostly meant the game's main plot. What it does with Dragon Age lore is actually pretty great. I still haven't gotten around to playing Trespasser, either, and I know that expands even more.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

exquisite tea posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8kVVgSAeyo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

I hope they do with Dragon Age what they're doing with Mass Effect. Modernizing the loving awful, janky combat from Inquisition into something that's smoother and flashier would go a long, long way.

I remember goons endlessly mocked that one DA2 dev who said "every time you press a button, something awesome happens" but I was like, why? Why only in CRPGs do we tolerate boring bland abilities that aren't impressive and don't even work the way they're supposed to half the time? If the best thing you can say about the combat in an RPG is "I can program my party members to play the game by themselves" then you need some better combat, imho.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
If they actually dropped the price on the Inquisition dlc, I just might play it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

If the best thing you can say about the combat in an RPG is "I can program my party members to play the game by themselves" then you need some better combat, imho.

I don't know if this was the best thing that could be said about those games' combat systems but you raise a good point. Though I think the appeal of the programmability, while it implies a certain level of predictability in combat, was that you could fine-tune your allies' behaviour rather than relying on good AI or having to micro manage them. I definitely wish we had some IF logic for mates in Mass Effect for that reason.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I remember goons endlessly mocked that one DA2 dev who said "every time you press a button, something awesome happens" but I was like, why? Why only in CRPGs do we tolerate boring bland abilities that aren't impressive and don't even work the way they're supposed to half the time? If the best thing you can say about the combat in an RPG is "I can program my party members to play the game by themselves" then you need some better combat, imho.

I think "button -> awesome" is perfectly fine, but I don't want it to come at the expense of tactical depth. For what it's worth, I didn't think the core combat system in DA2 was bad at all. They just used it poorly. The wave-after-wave fights were horrible, there was exactly one dungeon with any interest at all (the Deep Roads), they had the gall to reuse the exact same cave map for every single cave, and so on. But the actual combat, the classes, the abilities? Totally fine.

I should admit that I've come to enjoy real-time-with-pause combat, like in Pillars of Eternity, but DA:O's combat is not a good example of it. It's slow, shallow, and limited. That doesn't mean that type of combat system is always going to be that way, but that one is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

fridge corn posted:

If they actually dropped the price on the Inquisition dlc, I just might play it

You should just buy the GOTY edition, it goes on sale for $20 all the time and comes with all the DLC included. I think it's even on sale now on the PSN store.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

exquisite tea posted:

... and the generic-looking locations make me think we're going to be stuck visiting the same half dozen prefab installations the entire game...
So it's a Mass Effect game?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I wanted to like Inquisition but I found Bioware's fantasy lore dialogues really boring and dropped out somewhere in the middle. The plot itself was ok but the actual lines the characters used were so bland that I felt like I'm watching some kind of bad soap opera (not that Mass Effect isn't a soap opera but this was way worse). After a while I just stopped choosing any extra stuff during dialogues with the NPCs and went straight for quest-related lines and shortly afterwards I dropped out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inquisition's loading screen lore seemed like it would be cool but there was never enough time to read the longer entries : /

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I really loved the original dragon age as a crpg throwback, I wish they'd do another game in that style but that's not where the money is.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I really liked playing DA: O in the isometric (strategic?) camera mode because it was close enough to a modern Baldur's Gate.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The real question is, will the NPCs be player sexual.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Palpek posted:

I really liked playing DA: O in the isometric (strategic?) camera mode because it was close enough to a modern Baldur's Gate.

Yeah, that was actually a pretty nice combat mode. Tbh tactical pause was the only thing that made da:o combat playable for me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ekster posted:

The real question is, will the NPCs be player sexual.

Allegedly no. But imo it doesn't matter, never ever romance anyone in video games.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

Allegedly no. But imo it doesn't matter, never ever romance anyone in video games.

Real life too, imo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I got really creeped out when Fallout 4 kept giving me the option of hitting on the robot who had her brain transferred into a human body and had difficulty adjusting and needed you to guide her in this new world. It seemed like a pretty basic violation of trust, along with taking advantage of an obviously emotionally immature person.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

bloodychill posted:

You ever play a game too much and then keep playing it in your head for a little while after you stop? Happening to me with Picross lately. This game is too addictive.

Yesterday I woke up terrified that I wouldn't have as much wood as I needed then I remembered that real life doesn't require as many raw resources as Stardew Valley.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

Yesterday I woke up terrified that I wouldn't have as much wood as I needed then I remembered that real life doesn't require as many raw resources as Stardew Valley.

I usually have different wood problems when I wake up. Can I get a hell yeah from the guy gamers

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bloodychill posted:

You ever play a game too much and then keep playing it in your head for a little while after you stop? Happening to me with Picross lately. This game is too addictive.

I remember distinctly having that happen with Pokemon Puzzle League.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

PantsBandit posted:

You must construct additional pylons.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Picross 3D and Tetris Attack are the two greatest puzzle games ever made

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

bloodychill posted:

Tetris of course.

But also: Formula 1 on PSX, and both Dark Souls and Bloodborne a little.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

CJacobs posted:

Alternately, romance everyone to add an extra dimension of psychosis to the murderous psychopath you're inevitably playing as

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

bloodychill posted:

I solved this post but all I got was dickbutt :confused:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CrashCat posted:

Alternately, romance everyone to add an extra dimension of psychosis to the murderous psychopath you're inevitably playing as

The only Bioware game I've ever played to completion is Mass Effect 1 and I thought the romances were pretty messed up since you're literally playing as everyone's boss. Unprofessional.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only good romance options are in Saint's Row 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mordja posted:

The only Bioware game I've ever played to completion is Mass Effect 1 and I thought the romances were pretty messed up since you're literally playing as everyone's boss. Unprofessional.

The game draws inspiration from Star Trek, which is infamous for both a captain who sleeps with everyone and a fandom who was so obsessed with romancing crew members with their self-insert characters they actually coined the term Mary Sue. In that context, Mass Effect is somewhat tame.

• Locked thread