Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
So i was just playing Mass Effect 1 and Garrus straight up canoes Saren after you kill him. Garrus is a cold motherfucker :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Garrus owns

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Every time I see Fallout 4 on a steam-sale, I want to pull the trigger, but then remember it's gonna be at least 6 to 17 months until I have a machine that can even properly run that game again, and then I get all salty :(

I'm guessing it'll be more than 50% off by that time.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
humble bundle has Civ III - V plus DLC for $15+

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Every time I see Fallout 4 on a steam-sale, I want to pull the trigger, but then remember it's gonna be at least 6 to 17 months until I have a machine that can even properly run that game again, and then I get all salty :(

Throw it on your wishlist and wait for one of the steam holiday sales. Pretty much the only time I'll buy games now because that's usually the best discount. Plus my backlog is so bad now I gotta chill on buying more.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Syrian Lannister posted:

humble bundle has Civ III - V plus DLC for $15+

At this point i think everyone who bought civ v got 3 and 4 plus dlc for free on steam

civ v still owns now with the expacs

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Got MGS3 platinum today. That was the easiest one possible and only took ~15 hours gametime. The other MGS games... not so much.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It's Fallout 4, though. It's another Bethesda Fallout.

Pros of Fallout 4:

Looks pretty
Good FPS mechanics

The end

I'm just salty cause Fallout is kinda special to me and Bethesda took a hearty poo poo all over it with 3, 4, and how they treated New Vegas.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea Fallout 4 was not great.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Fallout 4 is just a video game based off of the hit History Channel series "American Pickers" but for some reason the people fromt he show refused to do voice work and they got the "Aliens!" guy and "Shows about guns" people to make it instead

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yea Fallout 4 was not great.

it's weird because i consider morrowind to be their best game, and that was janky as all gently caress in a lot of ways and was more or less endearing because there was so much going on

other than that i've never really been a massive fan of their work

well, wolfenstein i guess

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Two Finger posted:

it's weird because i consider morrowind to be their best game, and that was janky as all gently caress in a lot of ways and was more or less endearing because there was so much going on

other than that i've never really been a massive fan of their work

well, wolfenstein i guess

Bethesda only published that one, though. Which explains why it's good and fun.

Whereas for Bethesda written Fallouts, you have writers foregoing their own story lore, making "sacrifices to player choice in a role playing game in favor of the story", and then making GBS threads on fans via twitter when asked why either of those choices were not only accepted, but instituted.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

"sacrifices to player choice in a role playing game in favor of the story",

what does that even mean

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Two Finger posted:

what does that even mean

people are pissed that your character in FO4 had a :airquote:back story:airquote: and there was a :airquote:plot:airquote:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

people are pissed that your character in FO4 had a :airquote:back story:airquote: and there was a :airquote:plot:airquote:

.............what does that even mean

haha loving gamers

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bethesda games usually give you a character with a blank slate and let you do whatever with them, which appeals to a large group of players. It doesn't seem ridiculous for people to be disappointed about that going away.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

There's a difference between putting in a premade player backstory in an RPG and removing decent story and quest writing to make room for that backstory.

While speaking with GamesRadar, Fallout 4 game director Todd Howard explained why Bethesda is including voiced main characters — male and female — for the newest game in the series, which is a big change from the third installment. "We know we sacrificed some great storytelling [in Fallout 3 by allowing] the player to do whatever they want," he said.

Player choice in an RPG? Nah gently caress that there's the gripping tale of HATE NEWSPAPERS

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
lol they sacrificed great storytelling since well, forever

bethesda known for good stories

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I've thoroughly enjoyed every Bethesda game and they're definitely the best at making an interesting, fun world to explore. The quests/story in FNV were great and definitely way above anything Bethesda has done but the Mojave itself wasn't all that interesting to explore.

I'd like a Elder Scrolls/Fallout game with the world created by Bethesda and the story written by Obsidian.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Are they gonna let Obsidian do another Fallout? Cos that's the only Fallout I want.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Are they gonna let Obsidian do another KOTOR? Cos that's the only KOTOR I want.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Right now I'm playing through Pillars of Eternity which is pretty fun. Next I'm either going to play BG1/2 or Divinity Original Sin. If I beat POE before going to Yakima anyway. I"m seriously spending almost the entirety of March and April in Yakima. Probably going to play Mass Effect Andromeda when I get back.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

lol they sacrificed great storytelling since well, forever

bethesda known for good stories

Yeah Bethesda has trash writers and refuses to get better. It's hilarious how some people act like it's not fair to compare the game to Fallout: New Vegas and only compare Fallout 4 to Fallout 3.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Mustang posted:

I've thoroughly enjoyed every Bethesda game and they're definitely the best at making an interesting, fun world to explore. The quests/story in FNV were great and definitely way above anything Bethesda has done but the Mojave itself wasn't all that interesting to explore.

I'd like a Elder Scrolls/Fallout game with the world created by Bethesda and the story written by Obsidian.

New Vegas was written by Obsidian, which incidentally might explain why it's vastly better than anything 3 and 4 offered.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Are they gonna let Obsidian do another Fallout? Cos that's the only Fallout I want.

Considering how badly Bethesda actively hosed them over during production and after launch, I'd be surprised if Obsidian would want to work with them again.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mustang posted:

Right now I'm playing through Pillars of Eternity which is pretty fun. Next I'm either going to play BG1/2 or Divinity Original Sin. If I beat POE before going to Yakima anyway. I"m seriously spending almost the entirety of March and April in Yakima. Probably going to play Mass Effect Andromeda when I get back.

Play Tyranny, roleplay as bronze age judge dredd

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Two Finger posted:

roleplay judge dredd

http://store.steampowered.com/app/503180/

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Two Finger posted:

what does that even mean

By itself, giving the player character a backstory isn't terrible. New Vegas gave its PC a history (even though you could completely ignore it) and that was a thoughtful, well-constructed game.

FO4's issue is that your characters are boring as poo poo, and the dialog is terrible. The PCs are the most milquetoast people imaginable, and the dialog choices are so vague that you never really know what they're going to say. Will choosing "Chain of command?" ask an NPC about his military assignment, or will you berate the NPC for not giving you a promotion? Who knows. Fortunately, almost nothing you say matters; practically all conversations are railroaded to the same endpoint.

In a departure from previous Fallout games, there are no skills. Remember how New Vegas let you develop your character, and made every skill have some utility? How skill ratings influenced dialog options, and opened up new ways to complete quests? That's all gone. Even the persuade skill (now a perk) is all but pointless.

There's also no way to end the game peacefully, even when it would be totally logical. The endgame requires you to totally eradicate at least one of the major factions, even if you're so high-ranking in that faction that you should be able to just order a truce. But really, nothing you did in the game up to that point mattered at all. You get the same two ending cutscenes, dependent on who you backed. In a departure from previous games, you don't even get a halfassed narration describing the impact that the player character had on the world around them. It just felt really lazy. Bethesda can do better.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Arc Light posted:

There's also no way to end the game peacefully, even when it would be totally logical. The endgame requires you to totally eradicate at least one of the major factions, even if you're so high-ranking in that faction that you should be able to just order a truce. But really, nothing you did in the game up to that point mattered at all. You get the same two ending cutscenes, dependent on who you backed. In a departure from previous games, you don't even get a halfassed narration describing the impact that the player character had on the world around them. It just felt really lazy. Bethesda can do better.

And in true Bethesda tradition, you become the head of whatever group inside of three quests. :v:

Also yeah not having any solid narration after everything ends was seriously lovely.

Basically the best thing to come out of Fallout 4 was this:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah Fallout 4 was really disappointing. 3 and NV had me coming back for at least a year, 4 I stopped playing after two months. I can't even remember if I finished the main questline.

The only really good thing about it was Valentine.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
FO4 is the textbook example of why I almost never buy new games based on this thread (or it's predecessors).

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I'm still kinda pumped for Wildlands because GI Joe GTA seems like a really fool proof concept. Can't wait for Ubi to show me that I'm the real fool

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I hope they fixed the vehicle controls because they were janky as gently caress.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

not caring here posted:

I hope they fixed the vehicle controls because they were janky as gently caress.

The janky vehicle controls and wonky driving and flying physics were honestly what led to the most fun for me and my friends while we played the closed beta.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

not caring here posted:

They didn't seem that bad to me after having just finished Far Cry 3

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Godholio posted:

FO4 is the textbook example of why I almost never buy new games based on this thread (or it's predecessors).

I'm really hoping ME: Andromeda doesn't let me down, it's the first game preorder I've made in a hell of a long time.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
YouTube reminded me this was a thing that exists and it is still great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD7SAFzXSSo

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Ubisoft ruins all good concepts they come across.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Well, they must've done something with ghost recon because there's an open beta right now and it's nearly a 20 gig patch from the closed beta.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
wildlands beta trip report: the servers are down. installation was smooth enough i guess? unskippable intro vid of some nerd welcoming me to the game was bad tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

wildlands beta trip report: the servers are down. installation was smooth enough i guess? unskippable intro vid of some nerd welcoming me to the game was bad tho

They had that video in the closed beta, too. Fuckers.