Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I hope it's a gap in the areo rules and Ferrari attempts to copy it and fails spectacularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Somehow we've all missed that the McLaren announcement is happening in some kind of auditorium they call the "McLaren Thought Leadership Centre," a name that displays a lack of self-awareness that I sincerely did not think was possible.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Fuckin crackpot comments on motorsport.com

some shithead posted:

What he meant to say was "Mercedes have done what we wanted for years now ... from secret tests with drivers using plain helmets, to short-cutting corners in races, & even using active suspension ... and on every occasion we've been able to lie and manipulate Charlie and the FIA into finding in our favour. This might be because we employ very very good liars & lawyers (not to be confused as the same thing in this case), or because we have dirt on Charlie and key FIA people."

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Theophany posted:

Alex Jones is a F1 fan?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

Don't doxx poty.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Somehow we've all missed that the McLaren announcement is happening in some kind of auditorium they call the "McLaren Thought Leadership Centre," a name that displays a lack of self-awareness that I sincerely did not think was possible.

Bring back Ron.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Bring back Ron.

Certainly seems like he never left!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ron would not stand for such vulgar displays of colors or giving up on the idea of winning.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

Ron would not stand for such vulgar displays of colors or giving up on the idea of winning.

Make McLaren Great Again, Ron :allears:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

GramCracker posted:

Make McLaren Great Again, Ron :allears:

lmao

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
MAGA mMGAR

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ron is going to be sitting at home watching a car that's orange for no reason and just seething.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tsaedje posted:

Whatever it is, I love it and dub it the T-wing

e:

"The dimensions of it seem to be the width and height of the old 2016 spec rear wing, perhaps exploiting a leftover from the old technical regulations carried over into the ’17 rule book." :lol: if this is true

More wings is always a good thing.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

Ron is going to be sitting at home watching a car that's orange for no reason and just seething.

The last, I dunno, 5-6 cars were Silver, Black, or Grey for no real reason. Time to switch it up I say.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

The last, I dunno, 5-6 cars were Silver, Black, or Grey for no real reason. Time to switch it up I say.

According to Ron, those were THE McLaren colors, and unless a new sponsor wanted them to change the livery, they'd stick with those same boring colors. It's funny and it's a brilliant insight into Ron's mind. Most people would consider the lack of a sponsor-dictated livery to be something that gives you more options.; you can paint the car whatever color you want. Ron went in the exact opposite direction.

Also, silver/black/grey/red were West/Mercedes colors, no idea why Ron felt so tied to that.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Did he ignore the part where they were Red/White/Black for 15 years.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

Also, silver/black/grey/red were West/Mercedes colors, no idea why Ron felt so tied to that.

I thought West was Solid Red with white accents? Although that may have been just a Zakspeed thing.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It was the Mika era and arguably when Ron was at the height of his control over the team. I mean even just looking at the ownership structure you can see he was gradually losing control into the 00s

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Remember when Ron said "for what point do you create an aeeatheticly pleasing design?"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

I thought West was Solid Red with white accents? Although that may have been just a Zakspeed thing.

Maybe? I just remember the West logo having the red slash through it. Although I've just realized I'm wrong, the red on the car last year was from the McLaren logo, which originated as the Marlboro chevron.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I rather suspect Ron couldn't bare not to use the correct racing colours, Bruce was from New Zealand and the NZ racing colours are Black and silver.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Bruce would of punched Ron in the loving face

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

I rather suspect Ron couldn't bare not to use the correct racing colours, Bruce was from New Zealand and the NZ racing colours are Black and silver.

Lol it was definitely not for this reason.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ron would have been actualising the traditional colours in order to inspire a calm working environment with a secondary effect of subtly honouring the founder and namesake of a past era formula 1 team which since his time has grown exponentially into the modern seamless forward thinking and diverse collection of individuals we see today.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I remember there was somebody in motorsport magazine who pointed out that if you went and talked to Frank about the very early days and how hand to mouth it was, he'd always talk very fondly about all the old memories, but if you ask Ron about being Rindt's mechanic he'd say he absolutely hated it but he did it to get to the next step. I think that really tells you all you need to know about Ron.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I remember there was somebody in motorsport magazine who pointed out that if you went and talked to Frank about the very early days and how hand to mouth it was, he'd always talk very fondly about all the old memories, but if you ask Ron about being Rindt's mechanic he'd say he absolutely hated it but he did it to get to the next step. I think that really tells you all you need to know about Ron.

Ron's right, no one enjoys being the little man until they're 50 years removed from it and have forgotten about every part that sucked. Ron is too detail-oriented to forget things.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Human Grand Prix posted:

Did he ignore the part where they were Red/White/Black for 15 years.

That would fall under the "Unless a sponsor" category. Mclaren of the era was basically the worlds fastest pack of Marlboro Reds.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think it's possibly also that in the early days Frank could walk :(

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I think the black and silver was specially for Mercedes. IIRC West was always red and black, but made some packs in the McLaren colors to capitalize on the sponsorship.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
By the way since they're like my second favorite cig brand, did Dunhill ever sponsor a car in any series

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

By the way since they're like my second favorite cig brand, did Dunhill ever sponsor a car in any series

Dunhill (I think) appeared on one of the Group 5 E21 BMWs.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Welp, I guess it is a potential replacement for the shark fin: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-undecided-on-full-shark-fin-after-testing-t-wing-876436

In before Ferrari bitching.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

MattD1zzl3 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lttlLYbNaY

Trigger Warning: This video will show each time HAM wins a race this year. Sorry boot that. Maybe the merc will suck.

Wow, what a song, have had it stuck in my head all day. This could be the next Gangnam Style

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Mercedes is trying really hard to make me like them. Sharkfin? Nah gently caress that. Dick/clit nose? Please, we are above that garbage here at MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS MOTORSPORT. Then I remember grandmaster PH is on the team. I'd take 5 years straight of Force India plywood sharkfin on every car if it meant I got to see Hamilton never win another championship. Sorry Mercedes.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

EoRaptor posted:

Specifically, lowering the rear wing without reducing the overall height allowed for the car introduced the chance to manage airflow over that wing. The smoother you can make that airflow, the more you will reduce drag without lowering the down force generated, and the sharkfin is the lowest weight, lowest drag, highest return method of doing so.

This was a good and helpful post. I must be in the wrong thread.

Some general notes:
- The Force India is weird, but mostly due to the "cool spot" white slab.
- Why does the Merc only have half a shark fin?
- This is a terrible angle for the new cars, with the big wide sidepods and rear end, and tiny babby rear wing:

- The overhead of the Merc is terrible too. Worst new car so far?
- I like the cars that have a sharp nose bump.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Hey, no offense, but you have bad opinions.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

CratSock posted:

- Why does the Merc only have half a shark fin?

The Merc as shown today has more or less as much shark fin as it had last season, and they've been testing an alternative T-wing which would do the same sort of thing as a full shark fin. If their testing has shown the T-wing is shite they'll turn up in Melbourne with a full shark fin.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

CratSock posted:

- The overhead of the Merc is terrible too.
- Worst new car so far?
- I like the cars that have a sharp nose bump.

Worst opinions confirmed.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Worst opinions confirmed.

I can accept the dislike for bump noses, but are people honestly saying that this looks good?

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

F1 2017:

George Zimmer posted:

Hey, no offense, but you have bad opinions.

• Locked thread