Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if that left joycon desync issue is a hardware problem then the switch is hosed, it literally comes out next week lol

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
They say on nights like this, the desync gets so bad I can still feel the ice cube in the palm of my hand. I'm being haunted by Nintendo and its phantom game cubes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Can a game that's not out yet be of the month 🤔

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah obvs

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Horizon is out on the 28th so there's still time

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Horizon's going to have to be mindblowing to beat Nioh. Not saying that's impossible, mind you.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I can't play horizon with zelda and nier so close

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

Horizon's going to have to be mindblowing to beat Nioh. Not saying that's impossible, mind you.

there are tons of people who don't give a poo poo about Dark Souls or any of its progenitors so it's not that mindblowing that H:ZD would take that designation.

I'd probably just pick Nioh anyway since I'm enjoying it so far but have played RE7 and Yakuza 0 more this month. I only play Nioh in short bursts i.e. stopping every 2 or 3 shrine checkpoints or so but I'm probably ahead of the curve. The level design is definitely not as creative as From Software games.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The level design is pretty good, it just doesn't have any really cool set pieces like in a souls game.

Nioh was pretty good, but my gotm is still Yakuza 0 even if I only played it for the first week.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Danny O'Dwyer did a very positive "what I think" of Horizon and Jeff Gerstmann of giant bomb gave it 5/5 stars so it's probably gonna be superb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGJWt8yCiqE&hd=1

Shame I'll never play it since unless I can get a PS4 for like 50 bucks it ain't happenin'

edit: one thing to note is Danny mentions "that cutscene" and that it's a lot better in the finished game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i just beat halo reach. it was my first halo campaign i ever finished.

they should have made a game about flying cool ships and not one about shooting the same 3 enemies and sometimes punching them when shooting takes too long.

idk. those two flying levels ruled though. everything else was boring

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

Not everyone is bisexual.

Quantum bisexuality.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

there are tons of people who don't give a poo poo about Dark Souls or any of its progenitors so it's not that mindblowing that H:ZD would take that designation.

I'd probably just pick Nioh anyway since I'm enjoying it so far but have played RE7 and Yakuza 0 more this month. I only play Nioh in short bursts i.e. stopping every 2 or 3 shrine checkpoints or so but I'm probably ahead of the curve. The level design is definitely not as creative as From Software games.

I just meant, like, for Horizon to beat Nioh as my own GOTM. I'm sure, for the most part, Horizon's going to be GOTM and probably even GOTY for drat near every PS4 owner and I'll be shocked if it doesn't snag a significant percentage of the end-of-year GOTY slots, too. It's a beautiful open-world game with a cool setting that apparently has engaging gameplay and doesn't fall down the Ubisoft busywork hole--that's pretty much perfect GOTY material right there.

It even apparently hits a (mostly) steady 30 fps at full 1080p on a base PS4 which, at this point, impresses the hell out of me, especially with the level of detail it has.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm glad horizon is apparently good but I'm buying zelda instead

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

So uhhh what is GotM?

I haven't played any 2017 releases yet.

Nier Automata since it's out in glorious Nippon this week

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

There's no way horizon is gonna be good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Far Cry 5? With dinosaurs? Good sir I rate this game five golden man babies out of five!!!!'n

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It's gonna be sick when Automata is goty 2017 and then the PC version is goty 2018

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

In Training posted:

Nier Automata since it's out in glorious Nippon this week

And apparently fully available in English

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm buying both

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The actual gotm is Literal Actual In Coherent Translated English Super Robot Wars.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

The actual gotm is Literal Actual In Coherent Translated English Super Robot Wars.

where was this released? HK?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The only games ive played this month are Dishonoured 2, FFXV, and XCOM 2 so XCOM 2 is by far my GotM

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Quest For Glory II posted:

if that left joycon desync issue is a hardware problem then the switch is hosed, it literally comes out next week lol

:(
Nobody knows if it's hardware yet so it's too early to freak out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

where was this released? HK?

Yep. Super Robot Wars V.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Real hurthling! posted:

i just beat halo reach. it was my first halo campaign i ever finished.

they should have made a game about flying cool ships and not one about shooting the same 3 enemies and sometimes punching them when shooting takes too long.

idk. those two flying levels ruled though. everything else was boring

Halo 1+2+3 are really fun campaigns to just play all the way through with a buddy sitting on the couch. I dunno if the more recent halo games still have splitscreen or not.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All the games have lengthy vehicle segments, though it's usually on wheels/treads rather than flight. I think they all have splitscreen co-op too.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

ImpAtom posted:

Yep. Super Robot Wars V.

Are there plans for a NA release or will it require importing from Play Asia?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

Are there plans for a NA release or will it require importing from Play Asia?

No announced plans and it's pretty unlikely. Direct importing is your most likely bet.

There's also an english G Generation game (G Generation Genesis) if that is your bag, as well as an english-translated Original Generation game (Moon Dwellers) though the latter's translation is noticeably more poor than the other two.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

I started playing Ground Zeroes for the first time this month and I know Konami would never do this, but if they ported MGSV to the Switch, I would buy one in a heartbeat just so I could rescue Kojima on my commute every day. Everything about this game is so good.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

Far Cry 5? With dinosaurs? Good sir I rate this game five golden man babies out of five!!!!'n

i've never played a far cry. yoroushiku

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

In Training posted:

why are you so upset over this

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

ImpAtom posted:

No announced plans and it's pretty unlikely. Direct importing is your most likely bet.

There's also an english G Generation game (G Generation Genesis) if that is your bag, as well as an english-translated Original Generation game (Moon Dwellers) though the latter's translation is noticeably more poor than the other two.

I've dabbled with translated patches of the SNES one and I think the GBA one (if there is a GBA one, idk). I'm not a big enough anime fan to get all the references but I admire the bombastic combat scenes. I also have a hard time with the core strategy game tactic of baiting by leaving one unit out for the enemy to attack, like APCs in Advance Wars, so I tend to take more casualties than I'd like. Still, if it was cheaper than $80 to give it a whirl I definitely would.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MinibarMatchman posted:

It's not made in Japan but people might like it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

I've dabbled with translated patches of the SNES one and I think the GBA one (if there is a GBA one, idk). I'm not a big enough anime fan to get all the references but I admire the bombastic combat scenes. I also have a hard time with the core strategy game tactic of baiting by leaving one unit out for the enemy to attack, like APCs in Advance Wars, so I tend to take more casualties than I'd like. Still, if it was cheaper than $80 to give it a whirl I definitely would.

Yeah, there was one fan-translated GBA one ad two officially localized ones. The "Original Generation" games are basically the goofy stuff with knockoff off-brand anime characters instead of licensed ones. ("Originals.") if you wanted bombastic scenes and didn't overly care much about the anime Moon Dwellers is probably the one to look at. You'd still be looking around $80 for i tthough.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

He gave it 5/5 golden manbabies what's the problem

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ImpAtom posted:

Yep. Super Robot Wars V.

Wait wait there's an actual English SRT? That's pretty loving rare, I ought to get on that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Red Bones posted:

Halo 1+2+3 are really fun campaigns to just play all the way through with a buddy sitting on the couch. I dunno if the more recent halo games still have splitscreen or not.

Some of the worst games are fun coop though

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MinibarMatchman posted:

Seems to be bothering you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Lurdiak posted:

It's not made in Japan but people might like it.

:confused:

• Locked thread