Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't know why TCM is playing the Scrooge musical at the end of February, but this owns. Albert Finney's Scrooge is totally Mr. Lahey.

I think they're showing Oscar nominees in alphabetical order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

glam rock hamhock posted:

I thought you were gonna link to this one
https://youtu.be/rLGmjdm3vrw

I could link to all of them all day, really.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I asked this in the comic book thread because it's on a fun tangent, but wanted some more eyes.

What are movies featuring coffee mug/pots breaking? Already got Usual Suspects (a few others too).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wrongfully Accused!

Scary Movie.

:v:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

MacheteZombie posted:

I asked this in the comic book thread because it's on a fun tangent, but wanted some more eyes.

What are movies featuring coffee mug/pots breaking? Already got Usual Suspects (a few others too).

Watchmen

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Wrongfully Accused!

Scary Movie.

:v:

Yes! Perfect ones.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm just saying, tourist traps and cryptids kinda go hand in hand together, and trying to pull the evil government cloak and dagger routine with Atlantic city, complete with stormtroopers, is really loving goofy.

X Files understood the state of conspiratorial thinking in the 90s perfectly, it's no more or less goofy than what that subculture was into arbitrary the time. That's the most admirable thing about the new season, it definitely tries to reorient to modern conspriatorialism. Mixed results to be sure, but it'll be interesting to see what post Trump X Files will be.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's even more grim and grisly than I was expecting. Gibson is honestly probably one of the all-timers when it comes to directing violence.

I actually liked that stuff even more. Hugo Weaving is outstanding.

He is drat good. The army camp stuff was pretty good; it was the childhood and pre-Army stuff that I found weak. I guess we will have to disagree.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DeimosRising posted:

X Files understood the state of conspiratorial thinking in the 90s perfectly, it's no more or less goofy than what that subculture was into arbitrary the time. That's the most admirable thing about the new season, it definitely tries to reorient to modern conspriatorialism. Mixed results to be sure, but it'll be interesting to see what post Trump X Files will be.

probably even more racist.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

therattle posted:

He is drat good. The army camp stuff was pretty good; it was the childhood and pre-Army stuff that I found weak. I guess we will have to disagree.

I can see why someone wouldn't like it. It's very hokey, no doubt, but Mel has an eye for shooting that kind of throwback stuff that appeals to me.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

probably even more racist.

"Scully, thank god we shot and killed Bigfoot before he became another financial burden on our society. What's that? Oh, don't worry, my bodycam was deactivated before the shooting."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ruddiger posted:

"Scully, thank god we shot and killed Bigfoot before he became another financial burden on our society. What's that? Oh, don't worry, my bodycam was deactivated before the shooting."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiM-wAbl-u0

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

"Muslims are killing more people Scully!"

"Actually Mulder, they did kill a bunch of people, but this guy isn't that bad after all!"

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't know why TCM is playing the Scrooge musical at the end of February, but this owns. Albert Finney's Scrooge is totally Mr. Lahey.

I'm lukewarm on Scrooge as a whole, but Finney is great in it, and Thank You Very Much is a brilliant bit of dark humour. I still find myself thinking about it whenever a truly horrible person dies.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
How is Superman Returns? I watched a bunch of Supergirl while I was sick and I want more Superman but the Zack Snyder version is too grimdark for me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Popelmon posted:

How is Superman Returns? I watched a bunch of Supergirl while I was sick and I want more Superman but the Zack Snyder version is too grimdark for me.

I think it's great but that's kind of a minority opinion. Be prepared for it to be kinda slow.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Popelmon posted:

Maybe a little slow and not really a perfect movie, but they tried to make something that fit into the canon of the original movies (it's still got that John Williams theme). Not much grimdark in there at all. I enjoyed it as much as I'd hoped I would.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Spacey was my favorite part.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
John Wick: Chapter 2 was pre' dope, and better than the first, I reckon.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Superman Returns is very good even if it's not up to the standards of Snyder's stuff. And while it does work well with Superman I and II, it's not so dependent on them you can't enjoy it even if you're not the biggest fan of those movies.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Oh poo poo Atom guy from Legends of Tomorrow plays Superman? I'm sold!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Popelmon posted:

He was also Cyclops.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

He was also Cyclops.

No, that was Lois' cucked husband.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I always get that wrong for some reason.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Crappy Jack posted:

Maybe a little slow and not really a perfect movie, but they tried to make something that fit into the canon of the original movies (it's still got that John Williams theme). Not much grimdark in there at all. I enjoyed it as much as I'd hoped I would.

It's dark, but in kind of an interesting way- it's about Superman having been gone so long that everyone's moved on and he doesn't really fit anymore. I've always loved it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Lurdiak posted:

Youtube of the Day is absolutely this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Counter it with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgmoMO66uPg

Last 10 minutes are something else.

Lurdiak posted:

Whoever it is, it's money well spent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVI-xVWZf3k

glam rock hamhock posted:

I thought you were gonna link to this one
https://youtu.be/rLGmjdm3vrw

This, and I cannot stress this enough, is art.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Popelmon posted:

I like the little nods they've put in to that. At the end of the big crossover he says about Supergirl, "She kinda looks like my cousin."

I'm really glad that despite SR not taking off, Routh has found some good steady work. He's a great comic actor.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

MacheteZombie posted:

A History of Violence and The Big Heat.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

DC Murderverse posted:

This, and I cannot stress this enough, is art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aazkVxCGXgA

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

A History of Violence and The Big Heat.

I was gonna mention The Big Heat cuz its the best coffee-based assault in cinema but I don't think the pot breaks.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I was gonna mention The Big Heat cuz its the best coffee-based assault in cinema but I don't think the pot breaks.

drat, I think you're right. I haven't seen it in way too long.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
YOTD: dope hourlong YouTube documentary on everyone's favorite actor who has been 80 years old for 40 years, James Hong

https://youtu.be/8BBf3IpzAqc

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

drat, I think you're right. I haven't seen it in way too long.

Just checked, he doesn't break it.

currently stuck at 10 flicks.

i know there's more examples!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Lurdiak posted:

I'm just saying, tourist traps and cryptids kinda go hand in hand together, and trying to pull the evil government cloak and dagger routine with Atlantic city, complete with stormtroopers, is really loving goofy.

I mean this is part of the fun of the X-Files. Also I think they were doing a "mayor from Jaws" kind of thing.

MacheteZombie posted:

Can we count the Big Lewbowski?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That's not really what I'm talking about though, I'm talking about actual politics.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one because the mainstream left is too unwilling to do what the Tea Party did to gain legitimacy and affect change. Too many of them feel this pathological need to be some kind of goodwill ambassadors to a group of people who hate them and will never agree with them on anything even if it's just out of pure spite.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Can we count the Big Lewbowski?

The ashes scene or is there a scene I'm forgetting?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ART

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

MacheteZombie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoqSDvMMzE8

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

MacheteZombie posted:

There's an incredible physical comedy bit where a Sheriff throws at mug at the Dude and hits him square in the forehead.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CPL593H posted:

There's an incredible physical comedy bit where a Sheriff throws at mug at the Dude and hits him square in the forehead.

omg I can't believe i forgot that bit. I'm counting that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one because the mainstream left is too unwilling to do what the Tea Party did to gain legitimacy and affect change. Too many of them feel this pathological need to be some kind of goodwill ambassadors to a group of people who hate them and will never agree with them on anything even if it's just out of pure spite.

that's my whole point though, that the "mainstream left" needs to be infiltrated and taken over by the actual left

• Locked thread