Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

are you planning on actually getting to maps on it or do you just want something that is fun to level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

Normal, but I'd like to try some recommended, fun builds.

Most builds aren't going to get to the point where they're stand-out fun until you've beat all 3 difficulties and farmed maps or merc lake for a while.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Yeah, take a look at all those videos on the last page. None of that poo poo you can do just after beating Normal (except for the patched-out-of-existance perma-stun build).

The Broletariat
May 23, 2004
I wonder if there's beer on the sun?

panda clue posted:

With Legacy BoR, Facebreaker, Aegis, Meginord, Rainbowstride, and Anvil, you're already almost there with an actually good build! Just MTX the rings, and wear a Legacy Kaoms for style points :getin:.

Who says I'll actually be playing the game? I just need to get to merc and stand in the Sarn Encampment so people can check out my huge wang.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

The Broletariat posted:

Who says I'll actually be playing the game? I just need to get to merc and stand in the Sarn Encampment so people can check out my huge wang.

You don't even need to install the game for that; people will admire your huge wang if you just go into the goon discord and pretend you know everything. It's a no-brainer.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

McFrugal posted:

I've heard of people triggering the bleed via leap slam. I never thought of counterattacks contributing as well, that's a great idea.

Counterattacks are really underappreciated, especially on gladiator. As utilities, not damage sources. Curse, blind, power charge, life gain on hit all work out pretty nicely.

20% lacerate is also a decent option for bleed and curse application if you want an active skill and have an axe or sword.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Awesome! posted:

are you planning on actually getting to maps on it or do you just want something that is fun to level

Just fun to level, i'm not going to bother with maps etc until the new league starts.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i like 2h melee leveling a lot personally. sunder into eq. warchief totem for extra boss dps. ghostflame herald of ash for pretty explosions

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Awesome! posted:

i like 2h melee leveling a lot personally. sunder into eq. warchief totem for extra boss dps. ghostflame herald of ash for pretty explosions

Thanks :), sounds good and I do like some pretty explosions, i'll give this a shot on my next run

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

You left IRC before I could respond, but Stacker_Flameblast has been invited to the guild.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

TheRat posted:

You left IRC before I could respond, but Stacker_Flameblast has been invited to the guild.

Was using the web client and it timed out. Thanks!

Edit: for any other dummies like me apparently there's an invite bot in the discord channel now, so you don't have to pester people.

Vulpes fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 24, 2017

The Broletariat
May 23, 2004
I wonder if there's beer on the sun?

panda clue posted:

You don't even need to install the game for that; people will admire your huge wang if you just go into the goon discord and pretend you know everything. It's a no-brainer.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

lol

the worst part about this post is that it missed page 420

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

With conversion nerfed, I assume Vortex is no longer the best ignite vector. I haven't tried ignite before, but what's the next best? Explosive Arrow? Flameblast?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Mince Pieface posted:

With conversion nerfed, I assume Vortex is no longer the best ignite vector. I haven't tried ignite before, but what's the next best? Explosive Arrow? Flameblast?

Hrimburn will still work.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Hrimburn and Three Dragons still work. And you can probably still get total conversion with Pyre + Avatar of Fire.

Those skills are good. Detonate Dead is also good for big ignites.

Vaal RF is probably the best, one shotting anything that can be ignited and doesn't have HP threshold based invulnerability phases.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx
Guys I just had a thought. We're all thinking about radius vs area in a full circle. Skills like ground slam use a radius but only a fraction of the circle. On these skills increasing total area should be far more effective than just increasing radius. Am I missing something?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I thought about that too, but we don't know yet.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Katasi posted:

Guys I just had a thought. We're all thinking about radius vs area in a full circle. Skills like ground slam use a radius but only a fraction of the circle. On these skills increasing total area should be far more effective than just increasing radius. Am I missing something?

I had this thought as well. We'll have to wait and see, but I doubt it will work in the 'beneficial' way. They will probably add an 'area effectiveness' mod or something.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Katasi posted:

Nah. Assuming a 90 degree slice of a circle, the area is (pi * r^2)/4. Take two skills, one that is shaped like Ground Slam and one that is shaped like Vortex, both with base radius 10:

Vortex area with base AoE: 314, radius = 10
Vortex area with double AoE: 628, radius = 14.14

Ground Slam area with base AoE: 78.5, radius = 10
Ground Slam area with double AoE: 157, radius = 14.14

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Shockingly, doubling the area of a quarter of a circle gets you the exact same thing as taking quarter of a circle with twice the area.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I guess there's no telling for sure until full patch notes, but will wither CWC chaos firestorm still be crazy powerful?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

zxqv8 posted:

I guess there's no telling for sure until full patch notes, but will wither CWC chaos firestorm still be crazy powerful?

Yes, but did you actually play this build in maps? It's a cool build for burning down Shaper very fast but the rampup time of the damage, the delay between starting Wither and spells casting, and the delay between Firestorm casting and actually hitting the thing you want it to hit means it's pretty awful for actually clearing maps. I found CWC Bladefall with The Scourge to be way better, but in the end I'm still not a fan of CWC because of the delay between starting the channel and spells actually coming out (Animate Weapon is obviously different because the weapons keep killing things even when you're not casting).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

zxqv8 posted:

They're not touching double dipping this patch. Enjoy it while it lasts.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I've played the cwc style, though not that, so it doesn't bother me.

I just wasn't sure what was getting the hammer and happily this won't be one. If it can kill shaper, I'll make it do

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

2.6 is mostly the carrot part of the original 3.0 plans. The stick is coming this summer when everyone's busy gushing over new content.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

zxqv8 posted:

It should be stronger with legacy mantle and consuming darks.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Kild posted:

It should be stronger with legacy mantle and consuming darks.

Legacy Mantle is exactly the same except on a different base-type.

J
Jun 10, 2001

dis astranagant posted:

They're not touching double dipping this patch. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Speaking of this, what are the most busted double dippiest builds out there?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Poison Blade Vortex as one of any number of styles, Berserker, Occultist, Pathfinder, Assassin.

Converted Vortex ignites, CoC or self cast.

CWC Chaos Firestorm.

United in Dream summoner, SRS or Animate Weapon.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Is this build still do able?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Maddot_66 posted:

Is this build still do able?

I don't think anything related to it has changed significantly. Go hog wild.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

J posted:

Speaking of this, what are the most busted double dippiest builds out there?

Chaos conversion firestorm and Chayula sword builds.

There are 2 ways to scale DoTs, duration and damage. Because Duration actually stacks well with Poison, while reapplying Ignite doesn't increase the damage, you want ways to abuse poison the most. Therefore, you want a skill that scales the overall damage dealt with duration as well as a damage source that double dips (area, minion, totem, trap, projectile, mine). You also don't want a skill that caps out as you spam them (all totem skills, Blade Vortex, SRS, Bleeds, etc). This leaves the following:

Dominating Blow
Animate Weapon
Blink Arrow
Mirror Arrow
Conversion Trap APPARENTLY CONVERTED MONSTERS AREN'T MINIONS
Firestorm
Icestorm

Technically speaking, all of these are equally effective at scaling double dipping. However, for all practical purposes Chaos conversion daggers and Chayula sword are the most effective weapons because they give free poison. This means Blink/Mirror Arrow are out, as well as Icestorm.

So what I'm saying is I'm waiting for the guy who makes a Necromancer using DW United in Dream + The Scourge with Dominating Blow - Added Chaos Damage - Void Manipulation - Minion Damage - Increased Duration - Melee Splash with source of free poison somewhere on their gear and a Wither totem.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Animate is probably going to even better with splash buffs and the one handed reworks.

edit - when did they change the time that the daily switches over?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Bugsy posted:

Animate is probably going to even better with splash buffs and the one handed reworks.

edit - when did they change the time that the daily switches over?

It's always the same, it just 'changes' when daylight savings flips back and forth.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

panda clue posted:

It's always the same, it just 'changes' when daylight savings flips back and forth.

It would have helped if it didnt forget to type deal in there.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

panda clue posted:

Legacy Mantle is exactly the same except on a different base-type.

that's some bullshit.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kild posted:

that's some bullshit.

It loses base es and gains the spell damage implicit.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ultima66 posted:

Hrimburn will still work.

I suppose you could also fit in a cold-to-fire gem. Avatar of Fire is a bad idea, because it will kill the ground effect degen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

zxqv8 posted:

probably even more powerful, as you're gonna have access to high roll consuming darks and infernal mantles

and i cant help but think that cast when channel support gem will get a nerf at some point, it has silly amount of damage and utility. then again, there is a certain clunkiness to the mechanic, as there is a lag between you committing to a cast and the damage coming down

• Locked thread