Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
http://www.seattleweekly.com/news/they-have-to-start-it-uw-shooting-suspect-seen-in-video-shortly-before-confrontation/

quote:

"The UW administration has yet to launch an investigation [...] despite the fact that bringing a firearm onto campus violates the Student Conduct Code."

How about SHOOTING A PERSON ON CAMPUS, does the Student Conduct Code mention anything about that?

One of my roommates is a dark skinned person who studies at UW and they are starting to get genuinely scared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Gonna stay vague, but finally got some good news about the victim. Thanks for all the support everyone.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

We need more nazi punching. Join your local antifa group today.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Gross. There is a pro Trump rally in Oly on the 4th and the MAGAs are planning on 'packing heat' to protect themselves from 'violent liberals' this is how the civil war starts, not trump, not bannon, these idiots in the streets believing fake news and shooting unarmed activists.

Sorry, going to pull a coyo7e and ask for a source on this one, I put up a warning and some idiots I know are losing their minds about the lack of citation and I'd dearly love to shut them up with a link.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Can someone get in touch with UW and ask them, now that Milo has, again, come out in favor of pedophilia, if they'd be comfortable welcoming him on campus to support free speech or whatever.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GodFish posted:

Sorry, going to pull a coyo7e and ask for a source on this one, I put up a warning and some idiots I know are losing their minds about the lack of citation and I'd dearly love to shut them up with a link.

wanted to include these here for other people to see

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

wanted to include these here for other people to see

Thanks for these. They'll probably just shift goalposts but it's useful to have for people who aren't arguing in bad faith either way.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The 'militia' and 'private security' parts worry me a bit, but we'll see I guess. Debating whether to go in street medic or camera mode to this one. Kind of want to put faces to some of these right wing militia and private security idiots

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 20, 2017

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
What do you even wear to differentiate yourself as a medic or a journo?

I'd be worried people would gently caress you up regardless of why you were there.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Doorknob Slobber posted:

The 'militia' and 'private security' parts worry me a bit, but we'll see I guess. Debating whether to go in street medic or camera mode to this one. Kind of want to put faces to some of these right wing militia and private security idiots

Go camera mode with a medic bag

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

HEY NONG MAN posted:

What do you even wear to differentiate yourself as a medic or a journo?

I'd be worried people would gently caress you up regardless of why you were there.

I just wear my normal clothes, but like its too much stuff to have to worry about everything. I like to go to protests light as it is and carrying a backpack full of medic stuff and a camera is just a bit much. Maybe I'm just a wimp.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Cameras will scare them way more than medics. Plus, they'll inevitably overreact and pull out a piece. At which point the cops will arrest them.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

From what i understand aiming a firearm at someone else outside of law enforcement is a crime in Washington so this isnt exactly a stand your ground scenario unless you're a student at UW apparently.

George
Nov 27, 2004

This thread:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

RuanGacho posted:

From what i understand aiming a firearm at someone else outside of law enforcement is a crime in Washington so this isnt exactly a stand your ground scenario unless you're a student at UW apparently.

It's a crime basically everywhere in PNW (even Idaho) to brandish a weapon, which means the instant one of these assholes pulls a gun the cops will move on them. Mostly because the chucklefuck with the gun is an immediate danger to the cop, admittedly.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

To the person who implied California can get into Cascadia or is part of the PNW just no Yankee go home!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A bunch of places are hinting that Jay Inslee might run for President in 2020, especially after his national profile got boosted from those wins against Trump's travel ban.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

seiferguy posted:

A bunch of places are hinting that Jay Inslee might run for President in 2020, especially after his national profile got boosted from those wins against Trump's travel ban.

Inslee would be an okay President. A bit business friendly for my taste, but is willing to raise taxes when revenue is needed. Not bad considering the lack of politicians who are willing to stand up to Trump.
I don't think he will run through.

George
Nov 27, 2004

He's pretty good for a Washington Democrat. Not remotely good enough to redeem the party after its abject failure to do poo poo for us.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Jay Inslee is definitely okay, but given the national need to push democrats further left, I don't think he's the guy.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
One a month ago:

anthonypants posted:

http://koin.com/2017/01/25/protests-expected-throughout-portland-wednesday/ posted:

The group is angry about police response to Friday’s anti-Trump protests. Police said their actions were in response to protesters who threw “rocks, bottles, flares and unknown liquids,” at officers dressed in riot gear.

In response to the calls for his termination, Marshman said, “I’m not going to resign.”

The chief told KOIN 6 News he was “surprised” they called for his resignation. He’s been managing local protests for 26 years and said he always deploys the least amount of forces possible for protests.
Today:https://twitter.com/portlandmercury/status/834197156827246592

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

anthonypants posted:

One a month ago:

What else can PPB do when confronted by a granola grandma standing in the street? Sometimes (all times) you just gotta use overwhelming force.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.seattleweekly.com/news/dont-shoot-anyone-another-video-of-uw-shooting-suspect-surfaces/

quote:

In this newly uncovered video, one can see Elizabeth immediately at the bottom left of the screen donning brunette pigtails, and a dark brown, puffy jacket with a fur hood. As the cameraperson walks forward, Marc can be seen facing toward the protester line in a dark leather jacket with a brown hoodie underneath (0:08 in the video). The camera then pans and follows him as he walks toward Elizabeth (0:13).

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Uber is a pretty bad company, but this is good http://www.geekwire.com/2017/teamsters-group-aims-organize-ride-hailing-drivers-historic-seattle-uber-unionization-law/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
One of Oregon's state senators proposed a bill that would expel college students if they are convicted of rioting http://gov.oregonlive.com/bill/2017/SB540/

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

anthonypants posted:

One of Oregon's state senators proposed a bill that would expel college students if they are convicted of rioting http://gov.oregonlive.com/bill/2017/SB540/

Time to riot

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

anthonypants posted:

Why stop there? Time for our universities to embrace school uniforms IMO, class up the place a bit.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Error 404 posted:

Time to riot

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
ok wow I was not expecting that from this source , LL is one of the handful of goons I'd trust to not flip their poo poo on *anything*

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Wonder if there's a bill that expels rapists. Oh there isn't? Weird.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
whoops https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/834862805148901377

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

lmao

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
That's a bit of a stretch. The actual quote was that the fed will be looking into states which go against federal laws, and that because of the opioid epedemic among white people, they will be cracking down on recreational marijuana (although there was also some mumble mumble about how they totes think it's a legit medical drug).

So they're totally for states rights to individually decide to ban trans people from bathrooms, and totally against states' rights when the federal government's administration disagrees.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

coyo7e posted:

That's a bit of a stretch. The actual quote was that...they will be cracking down on recreational marijuana
Huge, if true

George
Nov 27, 2004

Don't worry, they'll find a legal way to make it only apply to black people.

Also it's worth pointing out that "states' rights" is a boilerplate smokescreen for both sides. We need progressive policy and we want it to come from Federal sources but we're quick to rely on local policy when we need to.

I'm not trying to pull some South Park "both sides are dummies get on my level" bullshit here, it's just that we need to understand that these arguments over jurisdiction are never the actual thing in dispute. It's usually poo poo like basic loving human rights.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

coyo7e posted:

ok wow I was not expecting that from this source , LL is one of the handful of goons I'd trust to not flip their poo poo on *anything*

I'm very nice and also very angery!!!!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lazy_Liberal posted:

I am nice or angry, never both. And im not very nice

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Lazy_Liberal posted:

hey at least u were smart enough to put on gloves

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

(Cross posting from Seattle Regional thread):

Rep. Dave Reichert, who proudly wrote a book about his involvement in catching the Green River Killer (basically letting him roam free for 20 years until DNA testing came along), former president of WA State Sheriff's Association, and Air Force veteran, cited safety concerns in his refusal to meet with constituents. Instead he hosted a virtual town hall on FB, which is just as good.

quote:

During a Facebook Live interview Thursday afternoon with veteran KCTS 9 journalist Enrique Cerna, Reichert held firm on his opposition to holding a traditional town hall.

“They’re not productive,” Reichert said. “It’s just a moment that people, some people — not all — some people want to use to voice their opinions sometime in a very loud, very rude and obscene way.”

He said he would continue to answer phone calls and hold small group meetings, but that he also had security concerns for his staff when it came to town halls.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/hundreds-protest-at-us-rep-reicherts-office-demand-town-hall-meeting/

This is in Issaquah! C'mon, the only danger would be from a mudslide.

(Sidenote: in checking Wikipedia his page has already been vandalized).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So he's discriminating against non-fb users!

Yeah he's been a POS for years but these dumbfucks in the suburbs keep voting for him.