Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ProperCoochie posted:

Lol

Sorry I offended private schools, golf, and $2000 watches.

Right... must be everyone else who is wrong, rather than you being the problem. Look in the mirror, buddy, look in the mirror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Toastmasters is like AA, the people who think it helped them are REALLY into it and DEFINITELY think that you should join too because it would do SO much for you.

There is a little bit of this, I won't lie. I think most people could do it for a year or two and then get pretty much everything they're going to get out of it.

I know a few people who are members of more than five clubs, it's pretty much their whole social life. I don't think they're particularly outstanding speakers.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I am in hell.

I am in the seventh circle of conference call hell.

I have it muted on speakerphone though because I give no fucks. Because I am in hell but I am not alone in hell.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Disappointed this club is not about making the perfect crunchy bread slices.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
CEO's daughter works in the department next to mine and I just watched her take the last piece of candy out of the jar between our departments, minutes before it was about to be my dessert from lunch. It was a Reese's mini cup too :argh:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I found 50c in the parking lot so now I get a free can of pop. Today is good.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

C-Euro posted:

CEO's daughter works in the department next to mine and I just watched her take the last piece of candy out of the jar between our departments, minutes before it was about to be my dessert from lunch. It was a Reese's mini cup too :argh:

time to update the good ole resume

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Yep, some things can never be tolerated. Burn the place down and salt the earth.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I didn't tell the story of how my gf got fired in this thread yet, but my favorite part of it is how when the President of the company told her to pack up her things she spitefully grabbed the bag of mini Reeses she kept on her desk for visitors and took them home so that the VP or President couldn't have them.

e: then she ate them all because she was sad :(

Renegret fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 23, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What's spiteful about that? I mean, why wouldn't you?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Halloween Jack posted:

What's spiteful about that? I mean, why wouldn't you?

I dunno

It seems amazingly petty

you just sucked all the fun out of this you jerk <:mad:>

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Workers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but...well, nothing, you get to keep your Reese's.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

docbeard posted:

I am in hell.

I am in the seventh circle of conference call hell.

I have it muted on speakerphone though because I give no fucks. Because I am in hell but I am not alone in hell.

Site to Help You Relax

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Renegret posted:

I dunno

It seems amazingly petty

you just sucked all the fun out of this you jerk <:mad:>

She should've taken the office chair and all her pens with her too.

Office Chat: The second someone quits or is fired, the vultures descend upon their cubicle/office. Everyone goes and looks for pens, staples, short-supply office supplies, and the big winning item is if you find a snack cache hidden somewhere. I'm not even kidding -- this is what happens basically everywhere.

Take the treasure with you when you leave. :haw:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sundae posted:

Another thing I've noticed is that, in general, the longer the resume (again, not CV -- resume) the poorer the structure and formatting. It's like there's some switch in people's heads where they realize they're going onto two pages, so they throw all rules of style and organization outt he window. There are exceptions, but holy poo poo the majority make me want to gouge my eyes out.

Possible small point of confusion here - over here in :britain: and possibly elsewhere in Europe, what you call resumes we call CVs (i.e. it's not just a thing for academics/scientists), and two pages is generally more common than one. Are people talking about CVs in this thread European because if so that's probably causing some misunderstanding.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

XvbfFzg8qX9vnjIoY7N5
xSfi0KWtncW4R379PU6i
nLul2VJO4Pyc9jiv99tt
L0PTvWH5DNXFn5l7tH5S
AwHOvaswRSEFWa4rnEVI
R6Wo2OUleeMUs3DQBHBt
4rTXoilgoGi6RxnuMNWz
y8aTlPHfZIZIVScAtD8y
unRJ0Jj3wEFiLkskioXL
6l8OJz0KAmNHGdfXLiFi

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 27, 2023

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Don't forget Europeans need more space because we still put photos of us on applications.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

feedmegin posted:

Possible small point of confusion here - over here in :britain: and possibly elsewhere in Europe, what you call resumes we call CVs (i.e. it's not just a thing for academics/scientists), and two pages is generally more common than one. Are people talking about CVs in this thread European because if so that's probably causing some misunderstanding.

In the USA, we have two standards. You have a resume (typically one page long, professional experience + education), or you have a CV. A CV is a more complicated document reserved for highly experienced positions, academic tier, PhD level roles, etc etc. It'll have your research history, publications, presentations and keynote speaker appearances, patents, awards, as well as all the stuff in your resume. It's going to be well more than one page and reserved largely for high-end jobs.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I'm transferring sites soon and I might have to leave a last will and testament bequeathing my supplies to people. I've already had people come in and inform me they had dibs on various things in my cube. There may be an actual fight over my standup desk.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Sundae posted:

reserved largely for high-end jobs.

lol. have you been back to academia lately?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

Sorry - I should've said "academia and high-end jobs." I was referring to principal scientist R&D roles in private sector, stuff like that.

(But you're right - it's been a long time since I was back in academic land. I like having a research budget, thanks. :haw:)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ghostnuke posted:

I'm proud of the work you guys do and even though you don't necessarily get the pay or respect of other high-end jobs, I think you guys are all superstars.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm proud of the work you guys do and even though you don't necessarily get the pay or respect of other high-end jobs, I think you guys are all superstars.

Unfortunately, this will be the entirety of your compensation for this quarter. Better luck spring term!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

therobit posted:

Unfortunately, this will be the entirety of your compensation for this quarter. Better luck spring term!

Sorry, Spring enrollment is down. Your services are no longer needed!

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Sundae posted:

She should've taken the office chair and all her pens with her too.

Office Chat: The second someone quits or is fired, the vultures descend upon their cubicle/office. Everyone goes and looks for pens, staples, short-supply office supplies, and the big winning item is if you find a snack cache hidden somewhere. I'm not even kidding -- this is what happens basically everywhere.

Take the treasure with you when you leave. :haw:

I got a third monitor out of that once, it was pretty sweet. It was entirely dedicated to emails and IMs

Problem! posted:

I'm transferring sites soon and I might have to leave a last will and testament bequeathing my supplies to people. I've already had people come in and inform me they had dibs on various things in my cube. There may be an actual fight over my standup desk.

I did this at my last job and it's both hilarious and a little sad. By the end all I had left was one monitor and even my chair was earmarked.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sundae posted:

Yeah we fired a guy a few months ago who was a loving office hoarder - poo poo like 6 different staplers, a couple boxes of dry erase markers and erasers (when he didn't even have a dry erase board within 50ft of his desk :psyduck:), and good lord the food. Seriously the dude had multiple drawers filled with various shelf-stable snack foods; granola bars, fruit snacks, practically the entire snack aisle of Target stuffed in his desk. It was pretty sweet since that poo poo lasted me like 3 months even with being generous and handing out food to anyone who wanted a snacky thing.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

C-Euro posted:

How the hell is a Reeses cup the last thing in the candy bowl? Those are the first to go here. Usually there are only 3 Musketeers/Snickers left. Maybe a Nestle Crunch.

Problem! posted:

My powered standup desk has followed me for 4 positions and 2 buildings so far. The funny thing is that each building has different desk dimensions, so it has to be redrilled each time. I did it myself the last 2 times because facilities broke the control module last time I let them touch it.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Mines not nearly that fancy, it's just a manual one that sits on top of my desk that got abandoned in the latest cube shuffle that I adopted.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

People are already talking about getting me a new desk and chair because I was asked and I said well it'd be nice if the keyboard tray didn't smack into the armrests

Also because one of them just sort of hates the look of the desk in general

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Meydey posted:

How the hell is a Reeses cup the last thing in the candy bowl? Those are the first to go here. Usually there are only 3 Musketeers/Snickers left. Maybe a Nestle Crunch.

By having a bowl entirely of Reese's cups. The only reason it wasn't emptied sooner is that I'm slowly developing self-control.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I work with people who have the self control of 5 year olds on Halloween when it comes to candy. They will legitimately take large handfuls out of the bowl or pick out all of their favorites and hoard them at their desk to the point where our receptionist has to lock away the big bag and only put out small portions at a time.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
There is a Costco across the street from my work. People will buy 1-2 Costco sized bags, give out maybe 1/4-1/2, then bring the rest to work after Halloween. Feels like Willy Wonkas factory for a few weeks.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
A guy in my department is the proud parent of a Girl Scout. So far he's sold $40 worth of cookies to us on her behalf.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

lavaca posted:

A guy in my department is the proud parent of a Girl Scout. So far he's sold $40 worth of cookies to us on her behalf.

I walked out of the office with 5 boxes of thin mints earlier this week. I may have a problem.

:goonsay:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

spacebard posted:

I walked out of the office with 5 boxes of thin mints earlier this week. I may have a problem.

:goonsay:

Your problem is that those should have all been Samoas.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Those were already sold before I arrived here! I'm free!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

lavaca posted:

Only 40? Last time Girl Scouts came through work I was sure the kid wouldn't be able to carry the money bag.

Company had to put their foot down about people going desk to desk with their kids selling poo poo, as it got out of hand.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Your problem is that those should have all been Samoas.

You mean Caramel Delites?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Thin mints! I got them thin mints!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Girl Friends old boss came back in to work this week with her daughter, just to sell girl scout cookies. some how I ended up with two boxes of Tagalogs.