Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Cubone posted:

Obama definitely took some questionable risks that are not often talked about in the mainstream media, because they're neocon and archconservative risks that don't fit with the narrative of a left-leaning Democratic Party, for example:
- created a flying robot army to terminate his enemies from the sky
- that's the main one
- the flying robots still answer to him... but for how long...
- they are monsters and there is no way to defeat them
- last Thursday, for the first time, when Obama went to slap one of the robots, the robot held up a tiny robot arm and blocked the blow in defiance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
the other day someone said the taliban had links to 9/11 lmao I wanted to strangle them

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

call to action posted:

Eh, this is extremely school specific. You're not gonna get an Econ BA at your average State U and immediately land an NYC finance job with no experience.

You don't know New York. That poster knows what he is saying.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Modest Mao posted:

does literally a single American remember or understand what happened in the bush admin jesus gently caress

Nah, don't worry about it, I'm just watching the kids fuss in here.

To the thread:
That's right chirren', rail about Obama when Trump is coming to power tomorrow! Throw that chair! It's the only path to success!

This message has been brought to you by my party, and you've bought it hook line and sinker.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The new frontline documentary has a huge section about how big of a pussy Obama was in dealing with the banks.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'm grinding my teeth rn listening to this poo poo. This is the angriest I've been about politics in a long time.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Kingfish posted:

The new frontline documentary has a huge section about how big of a pussy Obama was in dealing with the banks.

Good to know will check out lol. Everything about feckless and spineless Obama is true isn't it?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I love that smooth-voiced Frontline boy

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

fits my needs posted:

Good to know will check out lol. Everything about feckless and spineless Obama is true isn't it?

I couldn't tell you if its new information or not, but the way the narrative gets laid out is infuriating.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Just remember that precisely zero people went for jail destroying the lives of hundreds of thousands if not millions, meanwhile thousands are in jail for selling weed.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Obama posted:

"One year later, the emergency is past, but the devastation remains. Many people don't understand why bad behavior on Wall Street is rewarded but middle-class hard work isn't."

"We all hated the bank bailout. I hated it. You hated it. It was as popular as a root canal."
What a coward! What a pussy! He could have done justice. He had the opportunity, he had the authority and he was backed by the will of the people. The decision was his to make, but Obama was too afraid. All we got was this disgusting mealy-mouthed political dogshit.

E:

Obama posted:

"I suggested that we needed to put a tax on banks. If these firms can afford the big bonuses, they can pay a modest fee to taxpayers to rescue them in a time of need."
gently caress YOU

The Kingfish has issued a correction as of 02:50 on Jan 27, 2017

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
look at all of the political capital he saved up though. that valuable, valuable political capital.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Digiwizzard posted:

look at all of the political capital he saved up though. that valuable, valuable political capital.

that scene from the dark knight where the joker burns all the money

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Digiwizzard posted:

i laugh when people talk about trumps political capital. his capital is "being part of the party that controls all three branches of govt"

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Relin posted:

i laugh when people talk about trumps political capital. his capital is "being part of the party that controls all three branches of govt"

But now he's running his political economy entirely on political credit, and who knows where that madness will lead him?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Obama, 3 months in, blaming Wall Street greed and incompetence for the crisis:

quote:

Recessions are not uncommon. Markets and economies naturally ebb and flow, as we have seen many times in our history. But this recession is different. This recession was not caused by a normal downturn in the business cycle. It was caused by a perfect storm of irresponsibility and poor decision-making that stretched from Wall Street to Washington to Main Street.

As has been widely reported, it started in the housing market. During the course of the decade, the formula for buying a house changed: instead of saving their pennies to buy their dream house, many Americans found they could take out loans that by traditional standards their incomes just could not support. Others were tricked into signing these subprime loans by lenders who were trying to make a quick profit. And the reason these loans were so readily available was that Wall Street saw big profits to be made. Investment banks would buy and package together these questionable mortgages into securities, arguing that by pooling the mortgages, the risks had been reduced. And credit agencies that are supposed to help investors determine the soundness of various investments stamped the securities with their safest rating when they should have been labeled "Buyer Beware."

No one really knew what the actual value of these securities were, but since the housing market was booming and prices were rising, banks and investors kept buying and selling them, always passing off the risk to someone else for a greater profit without having to take any of the responsibility. Banks took on more debt than they could handle. The government-chartered companies Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, whose traditional mandate was to help support traditional mortgages, decided to get in on the action by buying and holding billions of dollars of these securities. AIG, the biggest insurer in the world, decided to make profits by selling billions of dollars of complicated financial instruments that supposedly insured these securities. Everybody was making record profits – except the wealth created was real only on paper. And as the bubble grew, there was almost no accountability or oversight from anyone in Washington.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Obama is as responsible for Nawar al-Awlaki's death as Trump.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

The Kingfish posted:

Obama, 3 months in, blaming Wall Street greed and incompetence for the crisis:

as part of the left i would suspect you think this is good?
:shrug:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
He didn't follow through

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I was doing an irony. If you read Obama's spiel he doesn't actually blame them at all. He just mentions them alongside politicians and every-day Americans as some of the people who were careless.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

The Kingfish posted:

I was doing an irony. If you read Obama's spiel he doesn't actually blame them at all. He just mentions them alongside politicians and every-day Americans as some of the people who were careless.

ah, understood, makes sense now

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
not getting rid of filibuster to pass the public option

demobilizing the base after 2008 election (guess what trump isn't doing lol)

trying to be centrist to appeal to the electorate while slapping his base in the face

trying to compromise and forge a consensus instead of plowing ahead with the majority he had 2008-2010 like FDR or LBJ would have done

only got re-elected by reminding everyone who he ran as in 2008, completely nullifying his supposed cross-over appeal

believing he can get support by being the adult in the room

utterly failing to understand that he come across as weak and the republican base overwhelmingly voted in people who humiliated him

oversaw the demolition of the democratic party on every level of government

Typo has issued a correction as of 23:33 on Feb 23, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Typo posted:

trying to be centrist to appeal to the electorate while slapping his base in the face

trying to compromise and forge a consensus instead of plowing ahead with the majority he had 2008-2010 like FDR or LBJ would have done

only got re-elected by reminding everyone who he ran as in 2008, completely nullifying his supposed cross-over appeal

utterly failing to understand that he come across as weak and the republican base overwhelmingly voted in people who humiliated him

But he was wildly popular!!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Typo posted:

don't forget he bent over backwards for the banks that ruined us in 2008. he let them off the hook for crime after crime.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Typo posted:

But he was the first African American president that showed us anyone can do it!*

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Obama was gathering political capital to create a spirit bomb that will destroy republicans and bring full gay muslim communism. Any day now.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
He took a vacation with a billionaire after he left office. Sad!

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Not allowing Bush tax cuts to expire (ok he allowed some portions of it to so i guess he does get some credit)

Agreeing to "grand bargain" with 1 trillion + spending cuts and then having it fall through anyway cuz the tea party thought he wasn't bending over backwards enough

appointing a moderate to fill scalia's scotus seat and hoping the voters would punish the GOP for obstructionism, but then McConnell basically said "vote us in if you want scalia 2.0 to get rid of gay abortion bathrooms" and the GOP base was like "Trump is bad but i guess i really hate gay abortion bathrooms so we'll vote for trump anyway"

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
things he wasn't pussy at:

droning the crap out of america's enemies

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Typo posted:

things he wasn't pussy at:

droning the crap out of america's enemies
putin wasn't droned tho

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
what if Obama wasn't swimming the in ocean with billionaires

what if he was Scrooge McDuck'ing it in a vault full of saved political capital with billionaires

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

putin wasn't droned tho

oh right which reminds me: knowing his party is getting hacked by russia cuz cia told him but refusing to come out and tell the US public cuz that would be interfering in the election too much

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
the funny thing is obama actually really pissed off wall street cuz he wouldn't do poo poo like have dinner or take photos with their ceos while at the same time pissing off the liberal base and the tea party by not punishing any of them for 2008

centrist governance appealing to moderates!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Typo posted:

Not allowing Bush tax cuts to expire (ok he allowed some portions of it to so i guess he does get some credit)

Agreeing to "grand bargain" with 1 trillion + spending cuts and then having it fall through anyway cuz the tea party thought he wasn't bending over backwards enough

appointing a moderate to fill scalia's scotus seat and hoping the voters would punish the GOP for obstructionism, but then McConnell basically said "vote us in if you want scalia 2.0 to get rid of gay abortion bathrooms" and the GOP base was like "Trump is bad but i guess i really hate gay abortion bathrooms so we'll vote for trump anyway"

Yeah! Oh my God talk about a pussy move. I completely forgot about Merrick Garland. What a lovely nominee. Obama was a dipshit. He wasn't even willing try for a Supreme Court nominee that would excite the base! Gets nothing done during his last four years thank to GOP obstructionism, then for the grand finale: Obama drops a big centrist turd down right on our laps.

E: "Merrick"

The Kingfish has issued a correction as of 03:52 on Feb 24, 2017

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

"Acting"

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Kingfish posted:

Yeah! Oh my God talk about a pussy move. I completely forgot about Eric Garland. What a lovely nominee. Obama was a dipshit. He wasn't even willing try for a Supreme Court nominee that would excite the base! Gets nothing done during his last four years thank to GOP obstructionism, then for the grand finale: Obama drops a big centrist turd down right on our laps.

That's Merrick Garland. Eric Garland is a dipshit on Twitter.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Obama for all his ills probably saved lots and lots of americans from dying of curable diseases with obamacare, his problem was that he genuinely believed his own campaign rhetoric of being above politics and healing the country. So he sought out compromise to forge a new consensus disregarding the fact that the two previous consensus makers: FDR and Reagan more or less did so by crushing the opposition instead of making peace with them.

His legacy was for the people he sought to reach cross the aisle to to usher in a president who is against everything he stands for.

he's a tragic figure in his own way. I suspect history will say that Hillary and the Republicans were correct about him in 2008: too inexperienced to lead. He ran his primary campaign on healing the divide between red and blue, Hillary ran on "turning up the heat on the Republicans". It would have being better for Obama to sit out 2008 and wait for his moment in 2016 or 2020.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

The Kingfish posted:

Yeah! Oh my God talk about a pussy move. I completely forgot about Merrick Garland. What a lovely nominee. Obama was a dipshit. He wasn't even willing try for a Supreme Court nominee that would excite the base! Gets nothing done during his last four years thank to GOP obstructionism, then for the grand finale: Obama drops a big centrist turd down right on our laps.

[DefendObamaMode]

What the gently caress does "excite the base" have to do with anything when you're a lame duck president with a minority in both houses? You know this poo poo isn't just for fun right?

[/DefendObamaMode]

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The longer I think about it the more I become convinced. Obama was a retard freak who thought West Wing was real life. His one plan for every political situation: Destroy the GOP with its own logic.

Obama is thought politics was like a tv show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

The Kingfish posted:

I always kinda wondered why anyone would think that's a good idea after the republicans shut down the government and got rewarded with the largest congressional majority in 60 years

• Locked thread