Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kiimo posted:

This seems like the right moment to mention that Gore Verbinski spent countless hours cutting trailers and TV spots that he wouldn't let marketing professionals cut and Cure for Wellness made 4 million opening weekend behind a movie about dogs that tried to kill dogs and is in the fourth week of its run so anyway that's pretty much over. The thing I was asked most about that movie was "what is that about?" and that's not generally a good sign.

When your best movies are The Ring and Pirates of the loving Caribbean (I mean, they're okay at best) I still don't understand why he got so much lee-way....like I'm all for artistic direction but I would hope that would happen to a better artist.

And boo on Simon getting the chair on the new X-Men movie, and it being another disaster-athon. loving yawn. I guess the draw will be multiple cities being blown up instead of multiple cities. The last people cared about how destructive things could get on the movie screen was ID4, and mostly people remember that for the inspirational speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The trailers for Cure for Wellness are great but I don't like watching horror films much. Sorry kiimo :(

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Detective No. 27 posted:

He's about 15 right now.

Gotham is good. It had a rocky start, but once the show figures out what to do with Barbara, it all clicked together. It's very much a modern version of the '66 Batman show.

I can never watch Gotham because I can't forgive it for taking Donal Logue away from Terriers. According to what I found in interviews, they were actually in discussion with Netflix to do a second season of Terriers, but Donal had to bow out because he got the Gotham position.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Shageletic posted:

When your best movies are The Ring and Pirates of the loving Caribbean (I mean, they're okay at best) I still don't understand why he got so much lee-way....like I'm all for artistic direction but I would hope that would happen to a better artist.

Gore Verbinski's best film is Mousehunt, you philistine.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Shageletic posted:

I will not stand for this slander of Rango.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I rewatched that on Netflix, still funny.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Shageletic posted:

The Ring is a modern horror classic and Pirates is a huge blockbuster franchise that has made over a billion dollars.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GrandpaPants posted:

Pirates is a huge blockbuster franchise that has made over a billion dollars.

It's made nearly four billion dollars so far.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's made nearly four billion dollars so far.

And somehow Johnny Depp spent all of it

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This except unironically.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

God Hole posted:

And somehow Johnny Depp spent all of it

it was worth it, though, just for Hunter S. Thompson's ashes fired out of a custom cannon

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That was so long ago though. How does everyone not know that?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The last few months I've been thinking of that 90s Lost in Space remake film. Imagine my surprise when it popped up on Hulu or Netflix or something.

How the gently caress did that get released? Literally nothing for Lacey Chabert to do. Hardly anything for Heather Graham either.

And they wasted Gary Oldman's Dr. Smith evil guy climax by making him an unrecognizable CGI mishmash.

His 'I am. A. GOD" speech is laughable.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Matt LeBlanc was trying really hard to become an A-list star and not just the 5th most liked character on Friends. Reboots of old TV series were just as popular in the late 90s as they are right now. There was a pretty big Sci-Fi revival going on at the time as well with the Star Wars Special Editions, the TNG Era Star Trek movies, stuff like the 5th Element and Starship Troopers. The movie is pretty bad, and I have no idea what they blew their production budget on given that other major SFX movies like Independence Day were cheaper to make, but why it got made and released is pretty easy to figure out.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

matt's helmet in that movie fuckin owned

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yo is every 90's kid collectively watching Lost in Space right now?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Babe Magnet posted:

matt's helmet in that movie fuckin owned

His gun was kickass too. I still have it in a box somewhere.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Most of those toys were awesome. In a kid's view sense. They're pretty goddamn hidious these days.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Robot interface was cool, Matt's Cyberhelm coming on like some snakeskin Dead Space poo poo was lame though.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's a bunch of really cool designs wasted on a really bad movie. The opening space battle is dope, there's some really nice creature design, LeBlanc's helmet, as mentioned, owns, but the movie is just like someone going 'have you seen any other sci fi adventure movies? It's like that. But not the scary ones.'

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 23, 2017

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I remember seeing it in the theater when I was fifteen and even then I was questioning why they were doing some time travel plot that seemed ridiculously familiar. Was time travel ever a thing on the original TV show?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I was also fifteen when it came out and whilst I didn't care for the movie too much one way or the other, I thought this was loving awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBRtOpwaehM

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
12 yo me had a massive crush on Lacey Chabert and that was the only reason I liked it

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lemon posted:

I was also fifteen when it came out and whilst I didn't care for the movie too much one way or the other, I thought this was loving awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBRtOpwaehM

Yes.

hiddenmovement posted:

12 yo me had a massive crush on Lacey Chabert and that was the only reason I liked it

Yes, but also Gary Oldman.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

hiddenmovement posted:

Same. I watched it again recently and I just can't muster the effort to follow the plot. William Hurt is the most boring spacedad in the universe.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
When Lost in Space was on Pay-Per-View, my mum had one of those bootleg boxes that let you watch as much as you wanted for free. Over the course of a weekend, for reasons I no longer recall, 20-year-old me decided to experiment with sleep deprivation. I stayed awake for almost 36 hours straight, watching Lost in Space non-stop. By the end I was weeping copiously. I finally understood it, and it was beautiful.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

When sailors would be lost at sea, they looked for familiar shapes in the night sky.

[hello.jpeg]

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

davidspackage posted:

Same. I watched it again recently and I just can't muster the effort to follow the plot. William Hurt is the most boring spacedad in the universe.

We will UUuuuEEEEWWWWWWSSS the pl-AN-ET core...

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Eastern Promises sequel is moving forward, so far no word on if Cronenberg is attached

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/01/eastern-promises-sequel-cronenberg-viggo-mortensen-1201769893/

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Man I want to watch that but also not sure if I can handle another one. Brutal.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

kiimo posted:

Man I want to watch that but also not sure if I can handle another one. Brutal.

I can't imagine it being anywhere near as good without Cronenberg though

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I have a lot of faith in Viggo Mortenson's discretion in accepting roles so I'm going to remain optimistic on this one. Probably has a good screenplay at the very least

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Any news on Soldado, the followup to Sicario?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Dear movie studios, please make more things like this. I enjoyed it very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzq1IFUlV8s

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Sirotan posted:

Dear movie studios, please make more things like this. I enjoyed it very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzq1IFUlV8s

Is this a long con, or did they just pay the channel guys to advertise?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Big corporations nowadays pay youtube channels to do sponsored content. It's right there in the description.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Big corporations nowadays pay youtube channels to do sponsored content. It's right there in the description.

It doesn't say sponsored, as such. I thought maybe the advertising people started this whole channel months ago leading up to this.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Beachcomber posted:

It doesn't say sponsored, as such. I thought maybe the advertising people started this whole channel months ago leading up to this.

Nah, the Hydraulic Press Channel has been around for a few years. They're pretty well established in the "let's use heavy industrial equipment to smash poo poo" youtube crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuG_CeEZV6w

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

You really have to wonder in retrospect why Fox didn't try to court the slomo guys for a Quicksilver promo leading up to apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Beachcomber posted:

"This video produced in partnership with 20th Century Fox"

It really can't be made more clear.

• Locked thread