Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hate when I forget to read my books from last week.

Thor is awesome and the Shi'ar gods are real space bird jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I hate when I forget to read my books from last week.

Thor is awesome and the Shi'ar gods are real space bird jerks.

I love the concept of a "God-off" That's exactly the kind of story that Thor can and should be telling.

EvilJay
Jul 25, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Spider-woman was :3: mixed with badassery. I loved that thumbs up Jess threw Carol at the end, and Carol dejectedly kicking that rock after saving Jess and Roger's bacon.

I LOVED this week's Spider-Woman for that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Reset Smith posted:

I love the concept of a "God-off" That's exactly the kind of story that Thor can and should be telling.

All the Shi'ar bowing before Thor was a really awesome panel. Jane does not know how to process this.

Also, dammit where is Angela? I want to see her cut off some heads.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

So did anybody else check out Elektra? I just read the issue, and it seems like it'll be a nice but of fun, ninja action.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh so Scarlet Witch ended, I think I was the only one reading it. It was okay, though it ends with her telling Vision she wants to come back to the Avengers, but I didn't see her mentioned in any solicts for upcomming Avengers titles.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

Oh so Scarlet Witch ended, I think I was the only one reading it. It was okay, though it ends with her telling Vision she wants to come back to the Avengers, but I didn't see her mentioned in any solicts for upcomming Avengers titles.

Assume it will be after the Kang war.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Kind of sad Silk is ending, but I feel like there's not much more to do with the book after wrapping up the stuff with her dad. The missing family was such a big part of the book that everything seemed done once she rescued them. The tie-ins to the awful clone conspiracy and the whole "my high school boyfriend is back as a ghost!" thing killed off my enthusiasm.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Silk and Spider-woman are actual good comics so of course they are ending while the pointless and meandering Spider-Gwen soldiers on.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Marvel says no moms and only one token Asian allowed

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Marvel says no moms and only one token Asian allowed

"Whoa whoa whoa, we can do legacy heroes, not original ones!"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Direct Market Orders for the January 2017 issues of the three Spider-Women titles in question:

Spider-Gwen - 34,678
Silk - 20,672
Spider-Woman 16,223

Hmmmm there's got to be some sort of insidious creeping racism/ageism/irrational hatred at work at Marvel to explain why they're keeping Spider-Gwen going and cancelling the other two, hmmmmmmmmmmmm if I squint hard enough I can probably figure out what those assfucks are up to..

(I am saying this as someone who very much liked Hopeless/Rodriguez on Spider-Woman)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

20000 seems like it should be enough for a comic book.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's fewer than 10 copies per store in the US, which is really about the bare minimum a big 2 book should be selling to be sustainable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

That's fewer than 10 copies per store in the US, which is really about the bare minimum a big 2 book should be selling to be sustainable.

We're right at 10 per book.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

Direct Market Orders for the January 2017 issues of the three Spider-Women titles in question:

Spider-Gwen - 34,678
Silk - 20,672
Spider-Woman 16,223

Hmmmm there's got to be some sort of insidious creeping racism/ageism/irrational hatred at work at Marvel to explain why they're keeping Spider-Gwen going and cancelling the other two, hmmmmmmmmmmmm if I squint hard enough I can probably figure out what those assfucks are up to..

(I am saying this as someone who very much liked Hopeless/Rodriguez on Spider-Woman)

I was joking, my dude

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

I was joking, my dude

No joking allowed in BSS.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Really, Marvel?

Really?

The Inhuman propaganda machine made Cyclops out to be a villain, which was extremely effective in swaying the time-displaced X-Men?

And then Medusa immediately denies it, great, thanks for clearing that up.

You know, maybe this all makes sense. Maybe the time-displaced X-Men are actually really bad at using the internet, and they've been getting all their news from TheAttilanTimes.com.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Edge & Christian posted:

Spider-Gwen - 34,678
Silk - 20,672
Spider-Woman 16,223

I get (and agree) with your overall point but I thought digital and trade sales played a significant role in that kind of decision too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maxwell Adams posted:

Really, Marvel?

Really?

The Inhuman propaganda machine made Cyclops out to be a villain, which was extremely effective in swaying the time-displaced X-Men?

You know, maybe this all makes sense. Maybe the time-displaced X-Men are actually really bad at using the internet, and they've been getting all their news from TheAttilanTimes.com.

Edit: Nope, same authors. Everyone's a screw-up I guess.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I missed the masculine pronouns and thought they were talking about Carol because that's exactly the kind of attitude they'd have towards people's reactions to Civ 2.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I get (and agree) with your overall point but I thought digital and trade sales played a significant role in that kind of decision too.
It does, but digital sales are pretty much a black box and (in general) there hasn't been a ton of evidence that the market is that different. There have been a few anecdotal examples, but even in those recent cases (Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel) they still have pretty respectable (or at the very least consistent) sales.

To use Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel as examples, here are the direct sales orders for January 2016 and January 2017 for these books:

Spider-Gwen (29% attrition)
January 2016: 48,664
January 2017: 34,678

Ms. Marvel (26% attrition)
January 2016: 32,364
January 2016: 24,006

Silk (38% attrition)
January 2016: 33,102
January 2017: 20,672

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (12% attrition)
January 2016: 19,923
January 2017: 17,569

Spider-Woman (33% attrition)
January 2016: 24,054
January 2017: 16,233

Nearly every comic book in history loses readers month to month unless something *big* (creative team change, renumbering) happens. Looking at these numbers, even though Squirrel Girl has lower sales than Silk, it's also shedding monthly readers at a much slower rate. Also ignoring Marvel's renumbering hoo-ha, USG is 35 issues into its run versus 24 issues for Silk. That's also a factor, because if nothing else changes at all we could expect USG's sales to be 15,460 in January 2018, while Silk would be down to 12,816.

In addition to the black box of digital sales (and the really hard to track down bookstore/Amazon/etc. sales of trades) another factor to consider is that different creative teams demand different salaries, and editors are trying to place creative teams for maximum impact. So it's entirely possible that (for instance) North/Henderson demand less money per page than the creative teams of other books. I know in Spider-Man's case they already pulled Javier Rodriguez off of it and put him on the Doctor Strange team book (which at least as of January is selling twice what Spider-Woman is) and Hopeless has a number of bigger books on his schedule for later in the year, all of which will presumably outsell Spider-Woman as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"Marvel's probably not going to ever reveal what happened, it's been too long"

or other horseshit statements people have been making here for months

http://comicbook.com/2017/02/22/how-was-thor-made-unworthy/

quote:

Three years ago, Jason Aaron wrote a scene in Original Sin in which Nick Fury whispered something into Thor’s ear that made the Odinson unworthy, and therefore incapable of lifting his mighty hammer, Mjolnir.

It has been a long wait, but fans are finally going to learn the words Fury spoke that undid the God of Thunder. Marvel Comics has confirmed to ComicBook.com that Nick Fury’s whispered words will be revealed in the fifth and final issue of Jason Aaron and Olivier Coipel’s Unworthy Thor limited series.

“I always said we'd eventually find out just exactly what Nick Fury whispered to Thor Odinson that made him unworthy,” Aaron says. “The words have been scribbled in my trusty Thor notebook for years now. Words that speak to the overall story I've been telling with this character going back to Thor: God of Thunder #1. The next phase of that story begins now.”

After the Odinson was made unworthy, a mysterious female Thor began operating in the Marvel Universe. While Odinson has yet to discern the Goddess of Thunder's identity, she was revealed to readers as Jane Foster, Thor's former love who is struggling with cancer in her human form.

“I remember when Jason told me what it was that Nick Fury whispered, it just felt so satisfying – like, it’s definitely a big curveball, but it feels so organic to Jason’s overall larger Thor story – it feels earned,” adds editor Wil Moss. “If you’re looking for some insight into who Thor Odinson is as a character and if you’re looking for a sense of where Jason is going to take things from here (both with Odinson and with Jane – and with all Ten Realms!), then brace yourself, ‘cause this secret hits harder than Mjolnir.”

More Marvel Comics: Ranking The Thors Of The Marvel Universe / Jason Aaron Leaving Doctor Strange / Everything Coming From Marvel In May 2017

The revelation will come in an issue that already promises a showdown between Odinson and Thanos, as the former God of Thunder attempts to lift the Mjolnir of the Ultimate Marvel universe.

Unworthy Thor #5 goes on sale March 22, 2017. See some inked preview pages from the issue below.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr--_i0JZbs&t=6s

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Rhyno posted:

"Marvel's probably not going to ever reveal what happened, it's been too long"

or other horseshit statements people have been making here for months

http://comicbook.com/2017/02/22/how-was-thor-made-unworthy/

I don't think people said that whatever happened wouldn't be revealed, they said the reveal would be dumb and make no sense.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's gonna be something about immortality making your fights unworthy of praise since there's no real risk or fear of death or whatever. Its been obvious since Secret Wars.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pureauthor posted:

I don't think people said that whatever happened wouldn't be revealed, they said the reveal would be dumb and make no sense.

People are dumb. Aaron said a couple years ago he had the entire thing planned from day one. Did the quality of his Thor run suddenly take a massive nosedive? Has Unworthy Thor not been a fantastic book thus far?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
"You caused Jane's cancer."

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I think it's gonna be "Mjolnir will kill Jane Foster" which would explain Thors reaction and also be something that will end up probably being true in a different sense

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I feel it has to be something relating to mortality; Jane is dealing with her own and still putting the time as Thor and Odinson became worthy when he faced certain death with his boyfriend in Secret Wars.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Pineapple does not belong on pizza"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

Accurate

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

"My friend Spider Manson poisoned me all along..."

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

This is correct but Odinson never did that anyway.

It's probably more along the lines of something about just because Mjolnir sees you as worthy doesn't mean you actually are. Or something along that line.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

I'm still betting on something about Thor being afraid/not accepting Jane was going to die from the cancer, and fear of death, or not accepting it makes him unworthy to be Thor. Since the Asgardians have that whole 'who cares if we die, as long as it's a good death, we'll end up in Valhalla..so it's all good' thing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

People are dumb. Aaron said a couple years ago he had the entire thing planned from day one. Did the quality of his Thor run suddenly take a massive nosedive? Has Unworthy Thor not been a fantastic book thus far?

People just won't be satisfied with anything after waiting three years. The Thor books are just as strong as they were after The God Bomb. It's consistently one of my favorite Marvel books, and I hope it keeps going forever.

Also, there's a reference to Mangog in the latest Doctor Strange. Don't remember if it's been brought up in Thor yet.
In

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Adams posted:

Really, Marvel?

Really?

What? But there's not an Inhuman propaganda machine. Cyclops was Hitler because Emma Frost hypnotized everyone to think he was... gently caress it I'm not going to keep trying to defend anything about this horrible event. :negative:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Is Jason Aaron wrapping up at Marvel? I really liked his Doctor Strange and this feels close to a Thor wrap-up, but nothing official has been stated. He's still doing that Star Wars crossover, I hope he's not totally leaving.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Tato posted:

Is Jason Aaron wrapping up at Marvel? I really liked his Doctor Strange and this feels close to a Thor wrap-up, but nothing official has been stated. He's still doing that Star Wars crossover, I hope he's not totally leaving.

At least not in the next 2-3 months judging from the solicitations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Decius posted:

At least not in the next 2-3 months judging from the solicitations.

That interview said that the reveal is the end of this part of his run. Still 50 issues is a good run.

• Locked thread