Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I think I've finally accepted the fact that the last season and a half of DS9 is better than anything that TNG ever was save a few episodes. However, I do think that the last episode of TNG is the best episode of Star Trek ever made.

Edit: best part about last episode of TNG is that troi is dead in the future lmbo

slave to my cravings fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mentally Retarded First officer?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Trip, I'd like you to check out the decon chamber. Every time T'Pol and I come back from an away mission, "Unchained Melody" starts playing when we are rubbing decon gel on each other.

Foreigners I Want to Know What Love Is would be fitting too considering
A: Emotionally repressed Vulcan
and
B: I'm pretty sure Scott Bakula banged someone in an episode of Quantum Leap to that song.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Nessus posted:

Maybe if it was pitched as restoration. I know I've heard a bunch of complaining about the redone effects shots in TOS and I'm used to sci fi fans on the Internet screaming their pants off the moment a computer generated image produced after the Clinton administration gets anywhere near a TV show.

:bonessay:

B5 was already CGI, whereas TOS had charming models.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just want to remind everyone that they should really be watching The Expanse

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Given what Patrick Stewart wanted Picard to do in the TNG movies I wonder how much he would have loved to play a Sisko-equivalent in DS9 - punching super-soldiers, gassing planets, blowing up all the ships. Frakes directed at least a few episodes of DS9, not to mention Defiant, so I wonder if they'll interview him too about his brief time on DS9.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

I just can't handle Ira's goatee, it looks like he just ate one of those bank vault dye packs

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

slave to my cravings posted:

Edit: best part about last episode of TNG is that troi is dead in the future lmbo

Also neatly explains why the Enterprise-D is still around

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yes. Absolutely. I haven't read the books but I'm loving the show. It's probably the first sci-fi show since Trek went off the air that I'm genuinely excited to watch. I didn't even make it through the first season of BSG.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Frakes owns.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

grilldos posted:

Frakes owns.

Thanks, Frakes.

Thrakes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

Maybe if it was pitched as restoration. I know I've heard a bunch of complaining about the redone effects shots in TOS and I'm used to sci fi fans on the Internet screaming their pants off the moment a computer generated image produced after the Clinton administration gets anywhere near a TV show.

:bonessay:

Nobody cares about CG replacing other CG.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Nobody cares about CG replacing other CG.

Have you met the internet?

Or classic sci-fi nerds?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

slave to my cravings posted:

the last episode of TNG is the best episode of Star Trek ever made.

If only they hadn't just barely gotten the time paradox wrong it would be perfect.

Certainly top five even so.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I want to remind everyone that they should go and watch Farscape again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Bloop posted:

If only they hadn't just barely gotten the time paradox wrong it would be perfect.

Certainly top five even so.

Go on

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Rhyno posted:

And to finish Battlestar Galactica.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I'd prefer this. There is no way you could reliably replicate the chemistry of Londo and G'kar with new actors, as one example. But moreover, in general I maintain you could not make a show like B5 today. Everyone is too cynical to make something that threads the needle so well of the scrappy underdogs who somehow remain complex characters as they become legit Big drat Heroes. I fully believe any attempt today would either end up like the versions postulated by the armchair quarterback historians in The Deconstruction of Falling Stars, or leave them feeling flat.

Honestly, at least in a modern show they probably wouldn't let Ivanova and Sheridan being bad pass so easily. Occasionally they do well, but some of their scenes are absolute trash, and Garibaldi and Delenn have stinkers as well. If they improved the acting of the leads and managed to not go so much to the Lord of the Rings references it could certainly be improved.

This does not mean that they could ever replicate Katsulas and Jurasik's ability to ham it up. Mumy was also great.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

It's an anti-time anomaly, so it should have been visible the first time they went to the Deveron System in the future. Also, Data says three inverse tachyon beams are all converging and they appear to have been fired from the same ship, but Pasteur fired one of them.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

CPColin posted:

Also, Data says three inverse tachyon beams are all converging and they appear to have been fired from the same ship, but Pasteur fired one of them.

When they were installing the big gently caress-off phaser and third nacelle on the D they had to take some poo poo out which they then installed in the Pasteur because a medical ship doesn't need a state-of-the-art deflector and they were having some materiel shortages what with the Klingon war and all.

The reason they don't see the anomaly the first time is that the Pasteurs sensors were malfunctioning, but no one realised because a medical ship doesn't usually have to do a lot of fancy sensor-ing beyond "are we where we're supposed to be?", and they were good enough for that.

Please send my No-Prize at your earliest convenience.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I want to like The Expanse; it looks expensive and it seems like someone put a lot of effort into it. But I find all the characters (and drat there are so many) boring and the show overall just lacks dramatic sizzle. it doesn't have the zany frantic feel of Farscape, or the heroic monologues of shows like BSG or B5.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Honestly, at least in a modern show they probably wouldn't let Ivanova and Sheridan being bad pass so easily. Occasionally they do well, but some of their scenes are absolute trash, and Garibaldi and Delenn have stinkers as well. If they improved the acting of the leads and managed to not go so much to the Lord of the Rings references it could certainly be improved.

This does not mean that they could ever replicate Katsulas and Jurasik's ability to ham it up. Mumy was also great.

For best B5 experience, just watch the G'kar and Londo episodes, skip everything else

You don't really need to know the story about JMS-the-elf-Jesus, or JMS-the-guy-who-bangs-an-elf

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tunicate posted:

For best B5 experience, just watch the G'kar and Londo episodes, skip everything else

You don't really need to know the story about JMS-the-elf-Jesus, or JMS-the-guy-who-bangs-an-elf

That's most of the episodes though.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

CPColin posted:

It's an anti-time anomaly, so it should have been visible the first time they went to the Deveron System in the future. Also, Data says three inverse tachyon beams are all converging and they appear to have been fired from the same ship, but Pasteur fired one of them.

More to the point, the anti-time anomaly shouldn't have appeared later on, even if they did do something to create it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I thought I remembered Night Terrors...

I didn't remember poo poo.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Apollodorus posted:

More to the point, the anti-time anomaly shouldn't have appeared later on, even if they did do something to create it.

I just assumed what we saw in the future wasn't real, what with Warp 13 and Geordi being married to Leah Brahms and all.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Apollodorus posted:

The anti-time portion grew into the past. The normal-time portion grew into the future. It's symmetrical on either side of its creation.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

The anti-time portion grew into the past. The normal-time portion grew into the future. It's symmetrical on either side of its creation.

it should still have already been there

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

The Bloop posted:

it should still have already been there
Maybe it's more like the Back to the Future timeline, where the anomaly never existed in their timeline until they created it? Otherwise humanity already wouldn't have existed.

And Picard's leaps were back into the resulting timelines, because... Q.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Beachcomber posted:

I thought I remembered Night Terrors...

I didn't remember poo poo.

Before I watched TNG, I'd always assumed Guinan was a bigger character. Sure, she's a pretty big supporting character, but for some reason I'd always had the impression that Whoopi Goldberg was in the main cast for maybe a couple of seasons then left when her movie career took off (when, of course, she was already a big name movie star when TNG started and got into it because she loves Star Trek).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Before I watched TNG, I'd always assumed Guinan was a bigger character. Sure, she's a pretty big supporting character, but for some reason I'd always had the impression that Whoopi Goldberg was in the main cast for maybe a couple of seasons then left when her movie career took off (when, of course, she was already a big name movie star when TNG started and got into it because she loves Star Trek).

If I recall, they put in her some of the group photo shots with the rest of the cast so that impression isn't unwarranted. Hell, she had her own action figure.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

She somehow ended up in most of the good episodes (excluding the one where she, Picard, Ro, and Keiko get turned into children).

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

FlamingLiberal posted:

She somehow ended up in most of the good episodes (excluding the one where she, Picard, Ro, and Keiko get turned into children).

They also put her in a movie! There is a rich history of celebrities show-horning themselves into Star Trek, just ask the Ensign Rivers:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
is that ross matthews?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Wait why is farscape good again I forget : [

I liked BSG but stopped in the middle because of the constant religious baltar stuff

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

They also put her in a movie! There is a rich history of celebrities show-horning themselves into Star Trek, just ask the Ensign Rivers:

Apparently Nolan North was in Star Trek '09 simply because JJ Abrhams liked Uncharted 2 so much he had to work with him, so he had a small cameo/background shot.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Also the current king ofJordan as an extra on Voyager:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Seth MacFarlane is one of the few creative types I have heard talk about Star Trek that made me think they actually understood it.

I kind of wish he had helmed the `09 reboots instead of Abraham's, but I have no clue is he is even capable of doing anything remotely serious.

Then again, with all of the shoe-horned nostalgia references that the new movies had, I am not sure it would have made any difference.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I wonder what would've been more disturbing, a CGI Stewie cameo or Nurse Anime Face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Also the current king ofJordan as an extra on Voyager:

And Bryan Singer in Nemesis: