Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I can't find it at the moment, but a few years ago right after the game launched there were some play by post games of it here with a lot of the seasoned Battlestar players, including myself. It was an absolute disaster, as the mechanical problems became very apparent. A second game was put together with an attempt to try and make it better using optional rules (or house rules, I forgot), but similarly was completely underwhelming. I know after that Dead of Winter just wasn't talked about much at all in either the board game or traitor game threads.

Anyway, I forgot the name of the PbP but maybe Tekopo remembers (were you in it as well?) if you're interested in seeing the post-by-post arc of hype for a game dying.
Yeah I was in it: it was the game in which the pirate character that steals stuff from other players has a logical reason for doing it regardless of if he's a traitor or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also I've never understood what made the much-vaunted Crossroads system Dead of Winter touted so amazing since as far as I can tell it boils down to "draw a card and if [CONDITION MET] do a thing, otherwise maybe don't? Or do something else?" which is boardgame technology that's been in existence since Monopoly.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The two games we ran are here and here. The second link also has a picture of Grandpa Gunarm. Archives needed.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Kai Tave posted:

Also I've never understood what made the much-vaunted Crossroads system Dead of Winter touted so amazing since as far as I can tell it boils down to "draw a card and if [CONDITION MET] do a thing, otherwise maybe don't? Or do something else?" which is boardgame technology that's been in existence since Monopoly.

The idea is that the next or previous player, can't remember which one, draws the card and checks the condition. Sometimes you play your turn until they interrupt to tell you the condition has been met.
It gives players something to do even when it is not their turn and helps with downtime. It also includes some things that everyone has to vote about, so it tries to make sure there isn't 4 turns of waiting for everyone in a 5 player game.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Riotminds, creators of Trudvang Chronicles, have put up a translation of their other big roleplaying game, Gotterdammerung, on Kickstarter, under the name Lex Ocultum. It's a really interesting idea. All the secret societies and occult stuff of the 18th and 19th centuries? It was true, and you are the people that had to fight the gently caress ups of the ignorant nobility who dabbled in that which man should not know. In a way, it is similar to Call of Cthulhu, and it uses the BRP system, but it is based more heavily in the Enlightenment, with more of a Templars fighting in the background rather than random people swept into the conflict, at least as far I can tell.

My players would love this setting but it's not D&D so eh

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The people who made the Conan game are going to kickstart a Batman game, and it's going to make all the money in the world.

https://www.tabletopgaming.co.uk/board-games/news/batman-the-board-game-is-the-next-big-project-from-conan-studio

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sinteres posted:

The people who made the Conan game are going to kickstart a Batman game, and it's going to make all the money in the world.

https://www.tabletopgaming.co.uk/board-games/news/batman-the-board-game-is-the-next-big-project-from-conan-studio

I don't think it will, but if ever there was something that had a chance to beat KD:M...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Depends on the sculpt for the kickstarter exclusive Harley Quin/Poison Ivy models.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Depends on the sculpt for the kickstarter exclusive Harley Quin/Poison Ivy models.

Kickstarter exclusive add-ons!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2141951291/wearing-the-cape-the-role-playing-game?ref=recs

Looks like there is a Superhero Webcomic RPG up on Kickstarter. It seems to be a Fate Core game. I don't know anything about the comic, the creator, or the such, but, if you're a fan, you might like it.

I took a quick look at the sample, but it isn't a complete overview though it does show a lot. Couldn't go through it to heavily because work, but it looks like it does some changes to Fate. It has both Approaches (called Attributes) and skills as well as Resources as a separate category, seems to greatly increase caps (+9 seems like much, but maybe that's okay for supers) and does some other stuff. Like I said, skimmed it. The only big thing that jumped out was replacing the Defend action with React, but I didn't see a big difference between the two actions other than the name. Example characters show some other slight changes as well. Like, from a brief skim, it looks competent enough, but I don't know how well it compares to the other Super games in FATE.

Like I said, if you like the webcomic or supers, it might be worth a look.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

This one has been in progress for a year+. I don't know if the math works out but this isn't fly-by-night.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Golden Bee posted:

This one has been in progress for a year+. I don't know if the math works out but this isn't fly-by-night.

Oh, I didn't know that. Should have mentioned it looked like they had some of their poo poo together, I suppose.

Also, checked further, and it looks like they are doing super powers through templates. Reminds me a bit of Venture City Stories, but it might be different.

Covok fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 23, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Feel obligated to come in and correct myself, it seems it isn't a webcomic, but a superhero novel series.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

BioTech posted:

The idea is that the next or previous player, can't remember which one, draws the card and checks the condition. Sometimes you play your turn until they interrupt to tell you the condition has been met.
It gives players something to do even when it is not their turn and helps with downtime. It also includes some things that everyone has to vote about, so it tries to make sure there isn't 4 turns of waiting for everyone in a 5 player game.

For me, the great thing about it is the story added due to these conditions being pretty specific to your character or player. I like the game a lot, but always remove the traitor cards before playing.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Is "Sig: Manual of the Primes" safe to back, or is this going to get shut down for copyright?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/Jagash/sig-the-manual-of-the-primes/description

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Well, they certainly aren't being subtle, but I don't see anything that makes it C&D-able.

Worst case scenario they might have to change a name or something (Sig? Really? Do they have a Duchess Of Hurt to?)

Covok
May 27, 2013

lifg posted:

Is "Sig: Manual of the Primes" safe to back, or is this going to get shut down for copyright?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/Jagash/sig-the-manual-of-the-primes/description

What is it ripping off? Wait, is it ripping off Planescape?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sig has actually been out for a while now (originally as a setting book for the Spark RPG), so I'd imagine that if there was a problem it would have been shut down already.

e: also the PDF exists; this is just a KS for the print version.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

What is it ripping off? Wait, is it ripping off Planescape?

The city in Planescape is named Sigil. Sigil is, like "Sig", kind of at the center of the multiverse and whatnot.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/192002/item/5237688?commentid=6978398#comment6978398 (scroll up, anchor isn't working)

Catwoman spotted.

In all seriousness, they look pretty fantastic. Especially Clayface, Killer Croc and Batman.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

The city in Planescape is named Sigil. Sigil is, like "Sig", kind of at the center of the multiverse and whatnot.

That and Manual of the Primes seems to pretty strongly suggest Manual of the Planes to me.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Sig is pretty explicitly inspired by Planescape, yeah. I think the actual lore is meaningfully different and the game system is super not D&D, though. (This based more on an actual play podcast - I think One Shot - I listened to than having actually read the book.)

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Normally I don't care about old-school D&D much but Planescape is my weak point. I backed Sig as soon as I heard about it :negative:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It always feels weird to me pulling Planescape away from D&D, since it's steeped in a number of peculiarly D&D concepts. That's not to say you can't, but it always mutates somewhat away from the source, I think.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Planescape's all about wierd takes on D&D stuff, so it's not so close to the mechanical traditions that it can't be divorced from them.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't know, Planescape always seemed to me about running the consequences of certain components of second edition design to their insane conclusions.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Kwyndig posted:

I don't know, Planescape always seemed to me about running the consequences of certain components of second edition design to their insane conclusions.

You must expand on this.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
So, Farflung came out, which I wasn't expecting. I mean, when you're asking more money for beta access to a game, I guess I'm expecting release to be like a year down the road, not a couple of months.

It's PBTA and... I've never stopped to count the playbooks in the other PBTA games that I've got, but twenty four seems a little high.

There are some systems I find eyebrow-raising, like the occasional move that has a result for 13+, and a core 'Push' force-success move that feels kind of weird in a fail-forward environment. The threat/weapon scaling system works, and could probably be lifted for another supers PBTA game.

Two different Hx pools that juggle points back and forth, three separate hit point pools...

The thing that stands out most is that the game's nod to consent and dealing with squicky topics is at the far flung end of the book, as an optional rule that lets you throw a literal bullshit flag. Given that it's trying to position itself as an exploration of sexytimes in infinite space, that should really be first and foremost, not first appendix.

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!
High Frontier arriving at the distribution warehouse on the 28th :getin:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Bieeardo posted:

So, Farflung came out, which I wasn't expecting. I mean, when you're asking more money for beta access to a game, I guess I'm expecting release to be like a year down the road, not a couple of months.

It's PBTA and... I've never stopped to count the playbooks in the other PBTA games that I've got, but twenty four seems a little high.

There are some systems I find eyebrow-raising, like the occasional move that has a result for 13+, and a core 'Push' force-success move that feels kind of weird in a fail-forward environment. The threat/weapon scaling system works, and could probably be lifted for another supers PBTA game.

Two different Hx pools that juggle points back and forth, three separate hit point pools...

The thing that stands out most is that the game's nod to consent and dealing with squicky topics is at the far flung end of the book, as an optional rule that lets you throw a literal bullshit flag. Given that it's trying to position itself as an exploration of sexytimes in infinite space, that should really be first and foremost, not first appendix.

I do not understand anyone who wants to roleplay "sexytimes in infinite space" and for those that do, why they would want specifically codified rules for consent.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kwyndig posted:

lifg posted:

You must expand on this.

It's my understanding that one of Planescape's core concepts is that the D&D concept/definition of "alignment" is absolutely true and absolutely real, and the various factions and creatures are either absolute fanatics for their respective alignments or are platonic embodiments of it, and all that that implies.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Shut Up & Sit Down have done their own Monikers expansion!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

I do not understand anyone who wants to roleplay "sexytimes in infinite space" and for those that do, why they would want specifically codified rules for consent.

Eff if I know, I got to that part after pledging with only a few minutes left on the clock, and then read the rest of the pitch. That was embarrassing. What I was trying to nudge and wink is that, given the sea of awful gaming stories out there, any perceived necessary nods to consent should really be front and center.

Fortunately, the book itself is about as sexy as an episode of Doctor Who.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bieeardo posted:

Eff if I know, I got to that part after pledging with only a few minutes left on the clock, and then read the rest of the pitch. That was embarrassing. What I was trying to nudge and wink is that, given the sea of awful gaming stories out there, any perceived necessary nods to consent should really be front and center.

Fortunately, the book itself is about as sexy as an episode of Doctor Who.

Are you saying you can't see the sex appeal of Christopher Ecceslton, David Tennant, Matthew Smith, and Peter Capaldi?

Some people have no taste.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

One thing I have to say I like about the Sig kickstarter: they have a pledge level that's "get a copy of the book, and we'll send another copy to the game store/library of your choice".

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Covok posted:

Are you saying you can't see the sex appeal of Christopher Ecceslton, David Tennant, Matthew Smith, and Peter Capaldi?

Some people have no taste.

This is Bie, they're talking about old Doctor Who.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Colin Baker. Mrow!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Four is my Doctor, but I have a Ten doll that I creepily refer to as my Twelve Inches of David Tennant.

Edit: The sneakers come off. I need to find a Rose doll and put together a weird foot-washing diorama in reference to Russel T. Davies' run on the show.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 24, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

There were quite a few lookers on the old line-up as well. Can't deny that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Sigma-X posted:

Well, they're all no doubt waiting for John Wick's indefinitely delayed kickstarter for Galaxy XXX anyway, right...? :rolleyes: