Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

turns out ignoring your traditional voter base and leading the country into a deeply unpopular illegal war fucks your party

...if you believe this, why is Corbyn making it worse rather than better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

HJB posted:

People don't hate immigrants (at least, they didn't and they wouldn't), they hate the negative impact of the sheer number of immigrants on their lives. People want immigration reduced and controlled for the betterment of their own lives, not to spite immigrants. Yes, there are people who are violent and aggressive towards them, but that sort of person will always exist, there will always be racial hatred regardless.

But even the idea of immigration being too high is very common but isn't particularly true in any sense. Migrants coming in are responsive for the continued operation of vital infrastructure and economic performance, it's that our economy and society is so broken that even with their help lots of things are still going to hell for lots of people. Trying to solve low wages or lack of housing through managing population movements might sound plausible but it isn't true in our case so there's no ground to give to the argument.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

trident would solve this

Dr Strangejose

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pissflaps posted:

...if you believe this, why is Corbyn making it worse rather than better?

its extremely hard to change the tide of public opinion when almost all of the country's press is against you. corbyn is bad but the labour rot is set in so deep people are going to suffer brexit and multiple tory governments before they change their mind

the lack of anyone not completely poo poo to lead labour is also blair's fault

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

its extremely hard to change the tide of public opinion when almost all of the country's press is against you. corbyn is bad but the labour rot is set in so deep people are going to suffer brexit and multiple tory governments before they change their mind

They will for as long as there isn't an opposition.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

spectralent posted:

Are you aware of the concept of hyperbole.

Labour moving left would have had to contend with Social Democrats going the other way

it didn't, so it didn't have to

the contention that any alternative to continued decades of Tory rule would have triumphed does not, therefore, automatically imply a Labour government

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pissflaps posted:

loving hell the Tories walked it.

I did try to tell you :britain:

However the deeper analysis of Copeland is still a bit pointless in my opinion. Have many of you been to that constituency? There is literally nothing but the shipyard in Barrow and the nuclear sites at Sellafield. By dodging, distracting and deflecting on that issue Labour were always going to lose, especially when most people think the writing is on the wall for the NHS as a whole under this government (which Copeland returning a Labour MP wouldn't have done anything to stop). Most people probably just saw the vote as a choice between making minimum wage in the Tesco bakery or £50 an hour in the nuclear sector. My friend's wife got a job contracting there, all she did was carry some hats around and have plenty of fag breaks, taking home £2000 a month for her troubles. The only other job in the area you can make that money doing is the railway, which is dependant on the nuclear.

As for the other argument about 'nationalising the railways doesn't connect with working class people' someone made, they obviously don't travel on trains very often. As a conductor who regularly works peak morning trains across the north west I can tell you there's more people in phone shop uniforms and supermarket attire than suits and briefcases travelling on some lines, if they can even get on the hugely overcrowded services of course.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

ronya posted:

Labour moving left would have had to contend with Social Democrats going the other way

it didn't, so it didn't have to

the contention that any alternative to continued decades of Tory rule would have triumphed does not, therefore, automatically imply a Labour government

I don't think people who were fed up of the tories wanted an even more right-wing government.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
btw kristtallnacht did feature neighbourhoods of people bringing their children to smash Jewish homes

pogroms: fun for all the family

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Bacon Terrorist posted:

As for the other argument about 'nationalising the railways doesn't connect with working class people' someone made, they obviously don't travel on trains very often. As a conductor who regularly works peak morning trains across the north west I can tell you there's more people in phone shop uniforms and supermarket attire than suits and briefcases travelling on some lines, if they can even get on the hugely overcrowded services of course.

The question is if those people would still believe that nationalising it would make it better* of it they'd assume it was crazy communist nonsense. I'm not confident they wouldn't think the latter, to be honest.

*arguably it couldn't be worse, given the move to privatisation was done by a person with a d66 table to decide who got what bits of each franchise.

Which is kind of the problem all around, really, because thatcher-era consumerism discourse has become How The World Works and we're never going to have a fair society under that rubric.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Aye, for all the hand wringing about how Corbyn is going to purge the Blairites Any Day Now, Tony Blair pretty much got rid of anyone he saw as a threat and replaced them with the likes of Tristram Hunt, leaving such a brain drain that an old man who'd mostly been seen as a joke by the Blairites was able to not only win against them but utterly trounce them in two separate occasions. Now Labour are stuck between a man unable to galvanise the public, a bunch of useless twats with bloodied hands over Iraq and who's only promise to the working class is to have a discussion on Immigration long after that discussion brought us Brexit and some promising new MP's who don't have the experience and probably won't be MP's come 2020.

Corbyn isn't the problem, but he is a symptom of it.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

ronya posted:

btw kristtallnacht did feature neighbourhoods of people bringing their children to smash Jewish homes

pogroms: fun for all the family

Kristallnacht happened in 1938, years after the nazi project had begun.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

HJB posted:

People don't hate immigrants (at least, they didn't and they wouldn't), they hate the negative impact of the sheer number of immigrants on their lives. People want immigration reduced and controlled for the betterment of their own lives, not to spite immigrants. Yes, there are people who are violent and aggressive towards them, but that sort of person will always exist, there will always be racial hatred regardless.

We're keeping the country running and when you hunker down and close down the hatches and we start leaving en masse (because we can just hop around Europe looking for better conditions, something you won't be able to do, by the way) all the little racists that say things like "sheer numbers of immigrants! (lives in a village with 0.001% immigrants)" will blame us for the economic collapse, and the destruction of workers rights, and the rampant unemployment. But yeah it was us, evil european immigrants, all along, making house prices high.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

spectralent posted:

The question is if those people would still believe that nationalising it would make it better* of it they'd assume it was crazy communist nonsense. I'm not confident they wouldn't think the latter, to be honest.

*arguably it couldn't be worse, given the move to privatisation was done by a person with a d66 table to decide who got what bits of each franchise.

Which is kind of the problem all around, really, because thatcher-era consumerism discourse has become How The World Works and we're never going to have a fair society under that rubric.

I'm quite sure most polling of public opinion shows renationalising the railways is almost as popular with the public as saving the NHS, cutting across party lines as an issue. There are several documentaries about how poo poo and complicated the railway is every year, never mind the guaranteed fare increases allowed by the government. The fact pacers are still running about is just the final insult. The reason the government doesn't want BR back is because it empowers the rail unions more, when they're arguably the strongest unions left in the country as it stands now anyway.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

JFairfax posted:

I do like working class people and I dislike Tory governments. I actually left the UK when the Tories got in in 2010.

I refuse to live in the UK under the Tories.

it is telling you did not deny my accusation.

I refuse to live under the tories

Lives under Trump

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

On the subject of Kristallnacht:

wikipedia posted:

The reaction of non-Jewish Germans to Kristallnacht was varied. Many spectators gathered on the scenes, most of them in silence. The local fire departments confined themselves to preventing the flames from spreading to neighbouring buildings. In Berlin, police Lieutenant Otto Bellgardt barred SA troopers from setting the New Synagogue on fire, earning his superior officer a verbal reprimand from the commissioner.[43] The British historian Martin Gilbert believes that "many non-Jews resented the round up",[44] his opinion being supported by German witness Dr. Arthur Flehinger who recalls seeing "people crying while watching from behind their curtains".[45] The extent of the damage was so great that many Germans are said to have expressed their disapproval of it, and to have described it as senseless.[46]

In an article released for publication on the evening of 11 November, Goebbels ascribed the events of Kristallnacht to the "healthy instincts" of the German people. He went on to explain: "The German people is anti-Semitic. It has no desire to have its rights restricted or to be provoked in the future by parasites of the Jewish race."[47] Less than 24 hours after the Kristallnacht Adolf Hitler made a one hour long speech in front of a group of journalists where he managed to completely ignore the recent events on everyone's mind. According to Eugene Davidson the reason for this was that Hitler wished to avoid being directly connected to an event that he was aware that many of those present condemned, regardless of Goebbels's unconvincing explanation that Kristallnacht was caused by popular wrath.[48]

In 1938, just after Kristallnacht, the psychologist Muller-Claudius interviewed 41 randomly selected Nazi Party members on their attitudes towards racial persecution. Of the interviewed party-members 63% expressed extreme indignation against it, while only 5% expressed approval of racial persecution, the rest being noncommittal. A study conducted in 1933 had then shown that 33% of Nazi Party members held no racial prejudice while 13% supported persecution. Sarah Ann Gordon sees two possible reasons for this difference. First, by 1938 large numbers of Germans had joined the Nazi Party for pragmatic reasons rather than ideology thus diluting the percentage of rabid antisemites; second, the Kristallnacht could have caused party members to reject Antisemitism that had been acceptable to them in abstract terms but which they could not support when they saw it concretely enacted.[49] During the Kristallnacht several Gauleiter and deputy Gauleiters had refused orders to enact the Kristallnacht, and many leaders of the SA and of the Hitler Youth also openly refused party orders, while expressing disgust.[50] Some Nazis helped Jews during the Kristallnacht.[50]

You need a core group of frothing, violent racists, and a load of people who won't make a fuss if it looks like things will get better for them. You don't require an entire country to hate immigrants to get in a position where there are camps.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Aye, for all the hand wringing about how Corbyn is going to purge the Blairites Any Day Now, Tony Blair pretty much got rid of anyone he saw as a threat and replaced them with the likes of Tristram Hunt, leaving such a brain drain that an old man who'd mostly been seen as a joke by the Blairites was able to not only win against them but utterly trounce them in two separate occasions. Now Labour are stuck between a man unable to galvanise the public, a bunch of useless twats with bloodied hands over Iraq and who's only promise to the working class is to have a discussion on Immigration long after that discussion brought us Brexit and some promising new MP's who don't have the experience and probably won't be MP's come 2020.

agree on the broad thesis. on the details I'll point out that blair-brown fighting was particularly fatal as careers went. Iraq finished off the survivors.

corbyn winning is self-inflicted in the sense of the £3 party member; the ideological problem of OMOV is obvious here. the Labour right really did it to itself

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Gonzo McFee posted:

The Blairites seem to be doing a pretty good job of purging themselves judging by Tristram Hunt and Jamie Reed

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I mean, gently caress, Australia's already at the point where there are camps and I doubt literally every australian personally wants muslims to die. The fact so many people are still speaking out despite the gag order shows that.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Big difference between murdering a population who already live in a country and calling for tighter restrictions on who can enter a country because of economic concerns.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

learnincurve posted:

Big difference between murdering a population who already live in a country and calling for tighter restrictions on who can enter a country because of economic concerns.

Do you really think the average racist stops to interview a given muslim to check they're getting their victimisation correctly-targeted?

And yeah, I don't think we're at a point of mass-murder yet. I'm saying that the inevitable end-point of nationalist rhetoric is fascism and every time we go "We need to enable it to win, we can't argue with it" we just get closer and closer. "Tighter restrictions because of everyone's very reasonable concerns (that don't reflect reality but sell a lot of papers)" have already given australia detention camps.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

All those things were for nothing because of his desire for war.

I think minimum wage, tax credits, reduced poverty, massive investment in schools and hospitals were good things even though Iraq was a very bad thing.

Also abolishing section 28, civil partnerships, sure start, regional development agencies with lots of actual money , reform of the house of lords, peace in Northern Ireland and a big increase in foreign aid were good things.

I think a Labour government led by another "right winger" would be much better for the country than helping keep the Tories in power by electing a useless Labour leader who never even wanted the job. Abolishing the bedroom tax and ending the persecution of disabled people would be good. It's not as if anyone really believes Labour's going to invade Iraq again.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ronya posted:

agree on the broad thesis. on the details I'll point out that blair-brown fighting was particularly fatal as careers went. Iraq finished off the survivors.

corbyn winning is self-inflicted in the sense of the £3 party member; the ideological problem of OMOV is obvious here. the Labour right really did it to itself

Thing of it is is that Corbyn won with people who were already members the first time.

learnincurve posted:

Economic Concerns which are entirely not the result of immigration. Economic Concerns that are going to get worse as a direct result of Brexit.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Paxman posted:

I think a Labour government led by another "right winger" would be much better for the country than helping keep the Tories in power by electing a useless Labour leader who never even wanted the job. Abolishing the bedroom tax and ending the persecution of disabled people would be good. It's not as if anyone really believes Labour's going to invade Iraq again.

The problem is that while New Labour might have been better than the Tories, their dedication to triangulation and desire to have MPs who are loyal to the leadership rather than actually competent have directly led to the situation we are in today.

Plus it's hard to argue that Liz Kendall, Yvette Cooper or Owen Smith as leader would be less competent than Corbyn judging by the strength of their election campaigns.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Australia has always had incredibly tight restrictions on immigration, they have the army stationed on islands ready to turn people back since long before 9/11. There is literally no chance of anyone stupid enough to head to Australia as a refugee leaving those camps until Australia can work out a way to put them on ships and send them back. Australia gives no fucks if your country is in the middle of a war or not, it's your problem not Australias, back on the boats you go.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

Australia has always had incredibly tight restrictions on immigration, they have the army stationed on islands ready to turn people back since long before 9/11. There is literally no chance of anyone stupid enough to head to Australia as a refugee leaving those camps until Australia can work out a way to put them on ships and send them back. Australia gives no fucks if your country is in the middle of a war or not, it's your problem not Australias, back on the boats you go.

Minor correction here: Australia throws refugees into literal rape camps where people kill themselves rather than suffer another day.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Always shocked how a country that's so empty can have the gall to say it's full. Melanoma is too good for them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Australia was a country built on camps, murder, and racism. The only reason that 1980s South Africa is considered a fascist hellhole and 1980s Australia was considered a chill put another prawn on the barbie place is because they'd already murdered almost everyone they could be racist against by then and shipped the rest off to camps or reservations.

Other than that, they have some interesting flora and fauna.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ukle posted:

The problem is Labour have already lost the immigration argument, and now need to embrace it as its by far the biggest issue for a significant section of the voting populous.
Embracing a lie because it's popular and easy isn't a winning political strategy, it's an apathetic admission of defeat.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Private Eye posted:

I refuse to live under the tories

Lives under Trump

yeah this is a slight issue.

trump will be gone in four years. the tories wont be.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It also ignores that Labour has been playing up to fears on immigration ever since it got into power.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

You think he'll be gone in four years? Lol.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
yeah, one way or another trump will be gone in 4 years.

anyway, I fully intend to be somewhere hot, sunny and by the sea before then.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Gonzo McFee posted:

Quoting this again because yeah it's pretty much my feelings on the matter. At the moment I think it's clear that things aren't improving under Corbyn, but there's pretty much no alternative within the alternative that could do any better. The Labour right can only crow about defeats for Labour at the moment. Not only could they not win a leadership election, they haven't even realistically tried.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

JFairfax posted:

lol the Democrats make Labour look like a shining beacon of professionalism by comparison.

The DNC still hasn't accepted they lost because Hillary was a poo poo candidate with a poo poo campaign.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Always shocked how a country that's so empty can have the gall to say it's full. Melanoma is too good for them.

Australia is simultaneously one of the least densely populated countries on earth and one of the most heavily urbanised. A ridiculous proportion of the population live in a tiny few dots on the huge continent, it's actually pretty dense where people actually live.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ukle posted:

Labour have a really easy way to appeal to the masses and it goes back to what Labour was originally set up for i.e. to support the workers. Make it so that people who are earning the regional median wage can afford to buy a house where they live, and that they can have a good quality of life. At present this is significantly broken in large parts of the country, hence why Stoke etc feel left behind as they are the have nots under the current system and have no way of getting out of this rut.

Institute McDonnells idea of regional owned housing corporations to build new houses on mass, but allow people to have the right to buy them after 10 years. Its the only effective way of solving the housing crisis without also tanking house prices, and also enabling those who feel left behind by the current system to feel part of the country again.

Also put a hold on all but essential immigration in a region until this metric is met.

Oh cool. I thought Labour was shafted but if we just use horrible Tory policies like home ownership they'll bounce right back!

Pantsuit posted:

Sorry Flaps but New Labour is to blame for literally all of Labours problems

Nah. New Labour is to blame for most of Labour's problems in a structural sense but at the end of the day, Jeremy Corbyn has been leader for 18 months and his numbers just keep dropping. That is bad and is not Tony Blair's fault. That poo poo is on Corbyn, he has to take responsibility for something.

Miserable but it does rather echo my feeling that Labour's problems do go deeper than just Jeremy.

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I wonder what would have happened if Corbyns choice of candidate actually was selected

Makes u think

Likely exactly the same thing.

HJB posted:

This is guff. The areas with strongest anti-immigrant sentiment are areas with 6 immigrants. Unsurprisingly, living among migrants leads to acknowledging that they are in fact just human beings like me.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

Paxman posted:

I think minimum wage, tax credits, reduced poverty, massive investment in schools and hospitals were good things even though Iraq was a very bad thing.

Also abolishing section 28, civil partnerships, sure start, regional development agencies with lots of actual money , reform of the house of lords, peace in Northern Ireland and a big increase in foreign aid were good things.

For me it's this ridiculous obsession with blairites. There's been an influx of people into the Labour party (good) but all they want to focus on is attacking blair and blairites instead of talking about the tories and austerity. Momentum are much more interested in purging the party and fighting people who don't agree with Corbyn than they are actually fighting the current government. It's this ridiculous infighting which always gets attributed to the left, and surprise surprise people see this and relegate the current labour membership to the same levels of political seriousness as the swp/ cpb etc..

They should just start their own party, where they can crusade against liberals and blairites as much as they want, and let Labour sit as the solid centre-left alternative again, without this hysterical damaging membership which is doing Labour no good at all.

And its actually incredibly poo poo because Corbyn is the kind of person that a good politician should be. He's principled, relatable and trustworthy. The sad facts are that his baggage means he'll never be elected PM. And he's been neutered by his supporters.

Private Eye fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Feb 24, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Private Eye posted:

They should just start their own party, where they can crusade against liberals and blairites as much as they want, and let Labour sit as the solid centre-left alternative again, without this hysterical damaging membership which is doing Labour no good at all.

This is correct. Especially those who believe parliamentary politics is a waste of time.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Private Eye posted:

For me it's this ridiculous obsession with blairites. There's been an influx of people into the Labour party (good) but all they want to focus on is attacking blair and blairites instead of talking about the tories and austerity. Momentum are much more interested in purging the party and fighting people who don't agree with Corbyn than they are actually fighting the current government. It's this ridiculous infighting which always gets attributed to the left, and surprise surprise people see this and relegate the current labour membership to the same levels of political seriousness as the swp/ cpb etc..

You are aware thet the blairites started this particular battle, right?

Also it doesn't bode well for the viability of your preferred politics when you admit that you can't even win inside your own party and instead demand that the opposition should all stop participating in the political process and let you win by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MikeCrotch posted:

lol the Democrats make Labour look like a shining beacon of professionalism by comparison.

The DNC still hasn't accepted they lost because Hillary was a poo poo candidate with a poo poo campaign.

the DNC are indeed poo poo but I just dont think trump will be around longer than four years.

I may well be wrong, but the man is going to be in his mid 70s and being president is v. stressful, and he's out of shape + has pissed off numerous intelligence agencies.

one way or another shits gonna go south for him.

• Locked thread