Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
how is an orange car more dull than a grey car

ron was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?
It's definitely unappealing. Where's the McLaren swoosh/kiwi bird gone? Or was that one of Ron's inventions...

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
paint the black victory red

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Don't let the super disappointing livery distract you from the fact that there are zero sponsors on that car.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
mate theres loving 4 what more do you want

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

aequalis posted:

It's definitely unappealing. Where's the McLaren swoosh/kiwi bird gone? Or was that one of Ron's inventions...

Bruce McLaren was a New Zealander, and a lot of them love using the Kiwi bird as their emblem.

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young
Man, I was looking forward to the prospect of an orange Mclaren, but they've hosed it up.

Still an incorrigible fan (as much as you can be a fan of an f1 team anyway), but if not for Nando, I think I'd be done at this point.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it looks actually good from this side angle:

https://twitter.com/Motorsport/status/835099502965051392

You Am I posted:

Bruce McLaren was a New Zealander, and a lot of them love using the Kiwi bird as their emblem.

The McLaren "swoosh" was originally just the Marlboro chevron, which they then stylized after Marlboro left and claimed it was inspired by the original kiwi bird logo.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
At least it's not ugly which at this point is all we ask.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Suspiciously simple floor on the McLaren. Also I count 10 sponsors on there, not including Honda or Pirelli

e: by the way, the reason the fins appear to go upwards at an angle is the rake of the car. Quite easy to see in the side on of the McLaren there

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
oh cool spyker are back

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

There's some incredibly detailed aero on that car (e.g. the front wing pylons) and the sidepods are insanely narrow. It looks like they took 2016 engine packaging and just made the floor wider. Every other team has used that extra width for wider but thinner sidepod inlets, which allows for a deeper undercut.

Tsaedje posted:

Suspiciously simple floor on the McLaren. Also I count 10 sponsors on there, not including Honda or Pirelli

Yes, they've certainly got surprises in store there because they haven't even launched with the typical tire squirt slots. With regard to sponsors, they've lost at least four from last year (ExxonMobil, Segafredo, KPMG, and Sensodyne). KPMG is still on their site, and Sensodyne was part of their long-time GSK partnership, so idk what's up with those two. They must be nearing the end with Johnnie Walker (much more prominent branding on the Force India, which is practically Diageo-owned), Castrol probably shouldn't even count, and I'm not sure SAP pays much money (it's more of a technology exchange).

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
I hate the side more than anything. gently caress that third center strip off and it looks ok.

dat snipping tool edit

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Dubs posted:

I hate the side more than anything. gently caress that third center strip off and it looks ok.

dat snipping tool edit

It all makes sense now...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wicka posted:

The McLaren "swoosh" was originally just the Marlboro chevron, which they then stylized after Marlboro left and claimed it was inspired by the original kiwi bird logo.

I think they were the blotches on part of the West McLaren-Mercedes paint scheme, like on top of the sidepods.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That McLaren is going to kill Ron and if he does die then I'm jealous he no longer has to see that monstrosity.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Looks like the Germans won the MWCC before we even got to testing

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

keevo posted:

Orange I guess?

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/835082680832245760

lol so when its bright out during a race, its going to look more red than orange

Dubs posted:

gently caress

Dubs posted:

how is an orange car more dull than a grey car

ron was right

GUUUUUUYSSS!!!!!!! I WANT RON BACK :qq:

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

They're getting trolled by Mercedes.
https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/835089636980555776

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

keevo posted:

Orange I guess?

lol so when its bright out during a race, its going to look more red than orange

What the gently caress is this. Ron Dennis must be spinning in his grave

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It looks like the orange car Ron would make, tbh.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

The Ferrari isn't bad, but it is hella messy looking with all the logos. Needs a dose of Ron to clean that up.

wicka posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it looks actually good from this side angle:

I'm with wicka, side angle on the McLemon is good. Sorry Dubs. But that orange is atrocious. Is that the actual historic colour? Even if it is, yuck, that could have been improved. Browny-orangey-reddish was not a good choice.

Brainwrong posted:

Here's a high-res of the MCLOrange

http://imgur.com/a/Qh09l

OMG, if only... this car looks so much better in every way.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
uh its red. my pallet was red blue or black

this is the ronnest orange car in existence and i wanted ron gone

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

HJB posted:

Also gently caress Benson and his insider sources poo poo, he's hedging his bets and will try to claim full credit if he's anywhere close

McLaren-Honda unveil new orange, black & white car for 2017 season

Boo hiss boo, there's not enough white to call it white

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

keevo posted:

Orange I guess?

Nice Spkyer.

Holy poo poo, I love it when teams get savage.

Falken fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 24, 2017

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

HJB posted:

McLaren-Honda unveil new orange, black & white car for 2017 season

Boo hiss boo, there's not enough white to call it white

benson's been spamming his inside scoop that the car was orange and white all week.... and he wont admit he was wrong

thats the only reason he was white in the title

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/835090935134502912

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/835130921795878912

What color is this car???

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

In another universe, Manor survived and switched to Honda and when they launched this car people still said "Wow, there's not a lot of sponsors on that".

For comparison, a decade ago they had this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

What color is this car???

poo poo.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I still like it a lot from that side angle. It'll look a lot different on track (for better or worse), and putting some sponsor decals in the black areas would go a long way towards making the orange stand out more. Still, should've been an incredibly easy design to get right...

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Nando just looks so loving done with McLaren. Can't wait for his 2018 WEC season with Porsche.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

JUST DO THIS: http://www.pitpass.com/images/galleries/2006debutmclaren/2006debutmclaren_s002.jpg

GramCracker posted:

Nando just looks so loving done with McLaren. Can't wait for his 2018 WEC season with Porsche.

This is fake.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Nice Marussia.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Orange and Black go pretty awful together.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I seriously can't see him staying with McLaren beyond this year. He's going to wait and see what happens at Mercedes and if he doesn't get a seat there I say he's done, you can't really blame him for calling time.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I seriously can't see him staying with McLaren beyond this year. He's going to wait and see what happens at Mercedes and if he doesn't get a seat there I say he's done, you can't really blame him for calling time.

IMO the chance of him going to Mercedes while Lewis is still there is zero. Alonso is a terrible liar. It is always extremely obvious when he is upset and he does not seem upset at McLaren. I think he genuinely enjoys driving for them and believes they can turn it around. Whether he still feels that way after this season remains to be seen.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

IMO the chance of him going to Mercedes while Lewis is still there is zero.

I agree but his contract is up this year and everything has always been the team's fault last year.

Edit: The only way I can see him staying at McLaren is if that car is contending for race wins at the end of the season.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 24, 2017

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I could see him re upping if the car continues to makes progress and McLaren is like 4th or something in the WCC. Especially if they throw money at him because of how much Honda loves him. I'd be surprised if he goes to another team at this stage of his career unless it is for like a guaranteed somewhat legit chance at another WDC (Mercedes, Ferrari? RBR??) which isn't happening baring something strange. He would probably just retire if the car is a shitbox again.

I have special insight into Fernando because I follow him and his girlfriend on instagram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I have special insight into Fernando because I follow him and his girlfriend on instagram.

Andrew Benson account spotted.

• Locked thread