Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

how can you talk about Playstation killer apps and bring up loving Battle Arena Toshinden (which, granted, had a lot of hype) and not Tekken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alaois posted:

how can you talk about Playstation killer apps and bring up loving Battle Arena Toshinden (which, granted, had a lot of hype) and not Tekken

I brought it up because it came out before Tekken and seems to be forgotten nowadays, while Tekken is still around.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Tekken 3 was a big loving deal in 1998

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember I had this demo disc (I think it might have come with the first Spyro game) called "Winter Releases '98" which had Tekken 3 on it (you could play as Xiaoyu and fight Lei; I think that was it) plus the first levels of MediEvil (loved that game) and the Ghost In the Shell game where you played as this kind of walking tank shaped like a red beetle.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Tekken 3 was a big loving deal in 1998

I put in COUNTLESS hours playing this game when it came for PS1. At the time I considered it to be the absolute perfect game. I had the Prima Games strategy guide and unlocked every feature and character possible and I had no shame beating people down with Eddy Gordo and his disco themed alter ego.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

gently caress Eddy and his kick button mashing cheap bullshit :argh:

Yargh
Jan 12, 2008
ok.
My boyfriend and I found a Pizza Hut Demo CD for PSX, and ooh yeeeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsjBBxBe4Qw

That intro is the best part!

nihilistic_fish
Mar 3, 2004
"Anyone in a free society where the laws are unjust has an obligation to break the law." - Henry David Thoreau

OldTennisCourt posted:

oh poo poo.

Like, what a terrible idea. Not only are you setting your price way too early, you also hosed over all the developers who had no time at all to get their games out on time.

What? No, 299 is the Sony one word response to SEGA's 399 unheralded sudden release of the Saturn.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mortal Monday commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8V7TwlYCt0

Mortal Kombat II commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBhm8kMVMVc

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Been listening to the WipEouT soundtracks today, those games definitely bought "cool" to consoles.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NonzeroCircle posted:

Been listening to the WipEouT soundtracks today, those games definitely bought "cool" to consoles.

:colbert:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
I had these cds when I was 13 :madmax:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

nihilistic_fish posted:

What? No, 299 is the Sony one word response to SEGA's 399 unheralded sudden release of the Saturn.

I know, I watched the video. OH poo poo is what the Sega executive said right after that.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Making fun of Sega's decisions in the 90s is like shooting fish in a barrel, but it never gets old.

Lol 32x.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember I had this demo disc (I think it might have come with the first Spyro game) called "Winter Releases '98" which had Tekken 3 on it (you could play as Xiaoyu and fight Lei; I think that was it) plus the first levels of MediEvil (loved that game) and the Ghost In the Shell game where you played as this kind of walking tank shaped like a red beetle.

That was a Tachikoma! Huge in the manga, but completely ignored in the film. While we're mentioning PS1 killer apps, probably ought to mention Silent Hill and Parappa the Rapper (shut up it's a classic) while we're at it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

whiteyfats posted:

Making fun of Sega's decisions in the 90s is like shooting fish in a barrel, but it never gets old.

Lol 32x.

To be fair the 32x had a pretty okay idea behind it. It was focused on people who wanted a 32 bit machine but couldn't drop the cash for Playstation or Saturn. Sega wanted to control both the premium (Saturn) and casual (32X) market of the 32 bit console market.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OldTennisCourt posted:

To be fair the 32x had a pretty okay idea behind it. It was focused on people who wanted a 32 bit machine but couldn't drop the cash for Playstation or Saturn. Sega wanted to control both the premium (Saturn) and casual (32X) market of the 32 bit console market.

I kind of agree, but only if they didn't drop support for it almost as soon as it came out.

The fact that games exist where you need both the Sega CD and the 32x blows my mind, though.

Speaking of add-ons, wonder how many times a day Nintendo kicks themselves for screwing over Sony?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Not sure which rude-dude-with-a-tude mascot was my favourite Sonic rip-off. Probably either Spyro or Crash Bandicoot. Never really played Rayman or Bubsy or whatever so I guess I didn't have the full experience.

I was big into games like Ratchet & Clank and Ty the Tasmanian Tiger but those were the 2000s version of the aforementioned.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
^---I'll never ever understand how Bubsy got multiple sequels, his game was atrocious. How do you make a game focused on high speed and you die in one hit, and have fall damage?

A lot of Sega's issues where down to the super weird animosity towards Sega of America who were doing super well with their own games, style of marketing and general way of doing business. The 32X idea and trying to control both sections of the console market came from them. As did poo poo like Sega Channel, trying to support older consoles as long as possible and other stuff.

When the Sega exec was was VERY impressed with that was replaced by a big pissy dude who hated that, that's when you got incredibly loving stupid moves like rushing the Saturn, cutting off absolutely all support to all older machines, telling Sega Channel owners to go gently caress themselves and so on. They destroyed themselves by being dumb and petty as hell.

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 16:24 on Feb 24, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OldTennisCourt posted:

^---I'll never ever understand how Bubsy got multiple sequels, his game was atrocious. How do you make a game focused on high speed and you die in one hit, and have fall damage?

A lot of Sega's issues where down to the super weird animosity towards Sega of America who were doing super well with their own games, style of marketing and general way of doing business. The 32X idea and trying to control both sections of the console market came from them. As did poo poo like Sega Channel, trying to support older consoles as long as possible and other stuff.

When the Sega exec was was VERY impressed with that was replaced by a big pissy dude who hated that, that's when you got incredibly loving stupid moves like rushing the Saturn, cutting off absolutely all support to all older machines, telling Sega Channel owners to go gently caress themselves and so on. They destroyed themselves by being dumb and petty as hell.

Add in SoJ's jealousy of how well Sega did in the USA, and welp.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bart Fargo posted:

That was a Tachikoma! Huge in the manga, but completely ignored in the film.

They are, however, present in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Both seasons and its movie are well worth a watch if you want cyberpunk policework, incidentally.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Not sure which rude-dude-with-a-tude mascot was my favourite Sonic rip-off. Probably either Spyro or Crash Bandicoot. Never really played Rayman or Bubsy or whatever so I guess I didn't have the full experience.

I was big into games like Ratchet & Clank and Ty the Tasmanian Tiger but those were the 2000s version of the aforementioned.

The correct answer for best rude-with-tude mascot is Jazz Jackrabbit :colbert:.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Where on the rudeness scale does Tomba fit

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They are, however, present in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Insert pedantic tachikoma/fuchikoma clarification.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I love the guys testing Pico games and how incredibly frustrated and pissed off by the system. I actually had no idea that that thing existed until the first time I saw that video.

True, and I'll certainly pick it up.

I feel the 90s was that era, and we can probably blame Ninja Turtles for that. 'tude was totally the way things were marketed to kids, everything back talked and was sarcastic, didn't respect authority and all in all were just little shits, and it was celebrated. Throw some animals in there so it is all kid friendly and bam, mass marketed sass.

I loved people who thought KMFDM was the most edgy thing ever, not realizing it's pretty much a joke/parody.

I knew what it was back then but I still loved it. I still do. You sound like an rear end in a top hat. I encourage you to go listen to some KMFDM. If you dont feel it anymore you"re probably dead inside and you should drink your own piss. Piss drinker.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I still play SNES, and listen to Public Enemy and Onyx to this very day. This is great for so many reasons.

House of Pain's first two albums had pretty good songs on it but I attribute that mostly to DJ Muggs being able to make anything sound good.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Rayman was good, Rayman 2 was sublime, Rayman 3 was fairly good but not 90s. They aren't in the same world as poo poo like Bubsy.

Also, the 90s mascot game that I remember was Croc. Terrible in most respects, but I have a fondness for it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wheat Loaf posted:

I would love to have a new MedEvil game

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

I would love to have a new MedEvil game

They remade the first one for PSP and gave the storyline a more comedic spin. Tom Baker did the voice for the narrator / the Grim Reaper. It was a pretty decent remake.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KiteAuraan posted:

Rayman was good, Rayman 2 was sublime, Rayman 3 was fairly good but not 90s. They aren't in the same world as poo poo like Bubsy.

Also, the 90s mascot game that I remember was Croc. Terrible in most respects, but I have a fondness for it.

Just out of curiosity, is there a "definitive"/best version of Rayman 2 among all the various ports?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity, is there a "definitive"/best version of Rayman 2 among all the various ports?

I honestly only ever played the PC version, which has the best graphics and audio, but suffers a tiny bit with controls. Dreamcast version should be fairly good due to the controller, with near or equal to PC audio and video. PS2 version is also supposed to be really good.

The DS and 3DS versions are mediocre due to terrible controls, N64 isn't worth it because the N64 was the weakest console the game was released on.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

KiteAuraan posted:

I remember playing Gex: Enter The Gecko as a kid, and I loved his 'tude as well. I have a lot of nostalgia for that

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I remember when some of the earlier Playstation Magazine demo discs also had weird Japanese games that never got a translation. One was a minigame collection based around being a restaurant chef, and it was all in Japanese so I had to try and figure out each game's controls and rules on the spot as an elementary schooler.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Non Serviam posted:

I remember playing Gex: Enter The Gecko as a kid, and I loved his 'tude as well. I have a lot of nostalgia for that

The only person irl I ever knew who had a 3D0 had Gex for it. Fun game. Played that and Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo for basically all one summer.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I had these cds when I was 13 :madmax:

Mildly disappointed it didn't have Short Music for Short People.

Also, regarding how shortsighted Sega of America could be: There was a Streets of Rage game being developed for the Dreamcast. It was cancelled because SOA's President had never heard of the franchise, even though it had made his company a fair bit of money. Like, if he'd cancelled it because side scrolling beat 'em ups had lost popularity, or he felt 3D would ruin their magic or something, that'd be one thing. Who cares what the President of the company has heard of if it makes Sega money? gently caress's sake.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I remember when some of the earlier Playstation Magazine demo discs also had weird Japanese games that never got a translation. One was a minigame collection based around being a restaurant chef, and it was all in Japanese so I had to try and figure out each game's controls and rules on the spot as an elementary schooler.

There's an American spiritual successor called Cook, Serve, Delicious! http://www.cookservedelicious.com/main/

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Non Serviam posted:

Said 'tude will vary for those on other continents, though. He was voiced by Leslie Phillips here in the UK, but someone else in the US. Gex 3D had him played by Danny John Jules, to hell with constinecy!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

magnum_valentino posted:

Said 'tude will vary for those on other continents, though. He was voiced by Leslie Phillips here in the UK, but someone else in the US. Gex 3D had him played by Danny John Jules, to hell with constinecy!

Dana Gould in the U.S.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

magnum_valentino posted:

I barely spoke English when I played the PSX version, so it didn't matter so much. I loved the idea, even though I had no idea about why this reptile liked films so much

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Non Serviam posted:

I barely spoke English when I played the PSX version, so it didn't matter so much. I loved the idea, even though I had no idea about why this reptile liked films so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_r38e3Yqzg
He watched TV to cope with his father's death in the Challenger explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Have we talked about Creepy Crawlers or Dr. Dreadful yet? We should talk about Creepy Crawlers and Dr. Dreadful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0RK-l97NHY