Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nier is awful.

Nier is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blackfyre posted:

Is there any news on the PC version of Automata.

I thought this was confirmed but it's not even available for pre-order on Steam. So I guess for now Automata is PS4 exclusive.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nier is very easy to recommend if you have the console for it because you can get it very cheap and it's not a long game. Mechanically spotty but there's more than enough awesome stuff in there to warrant checking it out

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Harrow posted:

It is possible that my anticipation for Nier: Automata is going to make me actually implode.
It's already being streamed in English from the Japanese version so you can spoil it any time you want. It doesn't seem like the kind of game where moment-to-moment gameplay really spoils much

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

MMF Freeway posted:

If you like platinum style action games this is gonna be a good one of those. You don't really need to know about Nier

I don't know what a platinum style action game is

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fridge corn posted:

You should play some of them then

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Lurdiak posted:

Revengeance 2 in a more interesting setting.

if you can make it more than 2 minutes into any sort of nier lore explanation... hah. hats off...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Andrast posted:

You should play some of them then

I don't know any!!!!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

fridge corn posted:

They're the Bayonetta devs. MGR, Wonderful 101, etc.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I don't know any!!!!

Nier Automata

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

MMF Freeway posted:

I mean Nier is amazing, but hard to recommend.

:agreed: Aye, its very Marmite. By traditional game review standards its not the best game ever but if you have a certain disposition/character its really great.

I was kinda assuming that Automata was a different setting but it is linked to the first game? I've heard Emil and Devola/Poppola are back?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fridge corn posted:

I don't know anything about neir or why I should care about it

The first Nier is a really good game that's hard to recommend. The gameplay is unique but kind of janky. The story, on the other hand, is really creative, weird, and also sad.

That said, it apparently has just about nothing to do with the plot of Nier: Automata, despite taking place in the same world. Nier: Automata is an open world action-RPG with combat developed by Platinum Games that plays sort of like Metal Gear Rising mixed with a top-down bullet hell shooter sometimes. The story is about aliens attacking Earth with remote-controlled robots so all the humans run away to the moon and send androids down to fight the robots, and you play as those androids. You fight robots and do things in the open world like ride around on giant boars.

Also the music is insanely good if that matters to you.

Blackfyre posted:

I was kinda assuming that Automata was a different setting but it is linked to the first game? I've heard Emil and Devola/Poppola are back?

Same setting, just several thousand years after the end of Nier.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

oddium posted:

if you can make it more than 2 minutes into any sort of nier lore explanation... hah. hats off...

Maybe I'm a masochist but for as dumb as it all may or may not be I enjoyed how Nier was linked to Drakengard 1 and by extension 3 etc.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i watched the 30 minute long video with the scandinavian (?) lady. which i think gives me ending E

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Blackfyre posted:

:agreed: Aye, its very Marmite. By traditional game review standards its not the best game ever but if you have a certain disposition/character its really great.

I think its connected via Nier ending D but hell if I know the goings on with that lore.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Harrow posted:

The first Nier is a really good game that's hard to recommend. The gameplay is unique but kind of janky. The story, on the other hand, is really creative, weird, and also sad.

That said, it apparently has just about nothing to do with the plot of Nier: Automata, despite taking place in the same world. Nier: Automata is an open world action-RPG with combat developed by Platinum Games that plays sort of like Metal Gear Rising mixed with a top-down bullet hell shooter sometimes. The story is about aliens attacking Earth with remote-controlled robots so all the humans run away to the moon and send androids down to fight the robots, and you play as those androids. You fight robots and do things in the open world like ride around on giant boars.

Also the music is insanely good if that matters to you.

Same setting, just several thousand years after the end of Nier.

That sounds cool and all but I just googled it and it looks like dumb anime bullshit??? 🤔

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Phantasium posted:

People in Japan got mad because there's a junk fishing item in Automata called the NIN64.

At least it's not as tacky as when you find a skeleton in a game and it's supposed to be the main character from some rival franchise or even more bizarrely a franchise from an entirely different genre.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Origins is also super badly balanced by comparison and you can't even fight the final boss unless you play the game twice.

Used to be worse though, used to have to play as Hugo before you could play as Thor :gonk:

Oath got some rough spots but it's a LOT better overall.

Who is Thor? Are you talking about Toal?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

fridge corn posted:

That sounds cool and all but I just googled it and it looks like dumb anime bullshit??? 🤔

Yeah its quite anime. Luckily, anime is good.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

fridge corn posted:

Well you know, it wouldn't sell if the main character didn't look like a tarty French maid

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blackfyre posted:

Maybe I'm a masochist but for as dumb as it all may or may not be I enjoyed how Nier was linked to Drakengard 1 and by extension 3 etc.

What I love about it is that Nier is a sequel to what seemed like Drakengard's joke ending. It'd be like if Konami had made a game that had, as its backstory, the secret dog ending from Silent Hill 2.

That, and the immensely detailed "how Drakengard leads into Nier" backstory doesn't matter and yet it's all there in codex entries and also real-life published lore books in case you want to read a crazy story that never comes up in the game at all. Like, there's this account of several international incidents and a bunch of wars with an enemy that never appears in Nier. Like three total things from the backstory matter to the actual plot of the game: particles from another dimension caused an epidemic of an incurable magical illness, and they only way to get around it was to separate people's souls from their bodies, then make clone bodies to take care of the planet so that, when the epidemic ran its course, the souls could reunite with some form of their bodies. Also they used those particles to do magic using computers that look like books because magic. In the present day, the clones developed consciousnesses of their own, so the disembodied souls can't reunite with them, go crazy, and the clones think they're monsters and they fight. The leader of those souls is the soul of the original Nier.

All of that is in the backstory, but so are detailed explanations of:

- The actual source of the particles (the Queen Grotesquerie and Angelus the dragon from Drakengard).
- Conspiracy theories about the Shinjuku quarantine zone.
- International incidents arising over White Chlorination Syndrome.
- The war with the Legion and their leader, Red Eye.
- Another war with the Legion and their leader, Red Eye.
- A US-Japan treaty to work together to defeat the Legion.
- Another war with the Legion and their leader, Red Eye, like a thousand years later.

Anyway it's all nuts and I love it. I wouldn't be surprised if there are pages upon pages of "how Nier leads to Nier: Automata" backstory that won't end up mattering at all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Phantasium posted:

People in Japan got mad because there's a junk fishing item in Automata called the NIN64.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys3oP7Ax6nM

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

oddium posted:

I meant visually interesting, the lore is whatever.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Yes, I forgot to mention it is very anime. The playable characters are an android who dresses like a French maid and has a very lovingly-modeled butt that the 3D artist is apparently very proud of, another android who looks like a 12-year-old boy, and another android who wears basically nothing but has a more robotic-looking body.

There are a few different types of anime nonsense. There's the moe/"cute girls doing cute things" type, which I have very little patience for. But there's also the "everything is suffused with drat-near-nonsensical symbolism drawn from multiple mythologies and it's all going to build to some pseudo-philosophical story that also probably is going to show the main character in a crucifixion pose at some point" anime nonsense and I'm pretty much in for that when the game is good enough. Nier: Automata is definitely going to fall in that latter category. I mean, poo poo, the French maid android is named "2B" and spends the demo level talking about how they're not allowed to have emotions but then having emotions anyway.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I meant visually interesting, the lore is whatever.

hmm i dunno dog revengenance had some quality animations, the zandatsus were flashy and blade mode felt good, the fights with ray and armstrong were styling, and everyone had a solid design

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

oddium posted:

hmm i dunno dog revengenance had some quality animations, the zandatsus were flashy and blade mode felt good, the fights with ray and armstrong were styling, and everyone had a solid design

Setting, I said. Like, the environments, and the mooks. Revengeance is middle east, denver, sewers, and a military base, and you fight a lot of generic soldier-mans.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Automata has a different animation for returning to neutral pose after every single attack and they're all amazing looking but I never see them because I just mash the dodge button to get running after I stop attacking :f5:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
The Neir LP was a good read and more enjoyable than my attempts to actually play the game

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Setting, I said. Like, the environments, and the mooks. Revengeance is middle east, denver, sewers, and a military base, and you fight a lot of generic soldier-mans.

oh yeah i mostly agree i guess. the office and the boss fights had some nice stuff but other than that it was very. Brown

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

fridge corn posted:

I don't know any!!!!

They all more or less trace their lineage to Devil May Cry, which was itself going to be a Resident Evil game with some Onimusha elements mixed in but got turned into its own thing. Combo based action where time plays into it, different weapons to use, that sort of thing. I personally tried to get into Bayonetta since I was a DMC fan but the ADD presentation made it tough for me to enjoy. Metal Gear Revengeance is allegedly the most fun of the bunch (at least according to my friends who also came from loving DMC and similar games like God of War) so one of these days I'll have to try it.

And so should you. Also go play DMC1 and 3 if you haven't because they're very good games.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I want to play Nier Automata but I'm afraid even the easiest difficulty will be too hard for me or that some of the content will be locked behind the higher difficulties.

I almost died in the demo on normal difficulty :(

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lakbay posted:

I want to play Nier Automata but I'm afraid even the easiest difficulty will be too hard for me or that some of the content will be locked behind the higher difficulties.

The easiest difficulty is way easier than the normal difficulty.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Lakbay posted:

You'll be fine. On normal it is not a particularly difficult game. Along the lines of the original Nier if you played that. You've been playing Nioh which is dramatically more difficult.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Platinum likes to make their easiest modes basically play the game for you by having the character do context-appropriate combos when you hit buttons at random, you should be fine.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Also you can change the difficulty at any time. Using other Platinum games as a gauge for its difficulty isn't right. It's like the first Nier game in basically every way except the fight buttons are better.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Almost dying doesn't mean the game's too difficult for you! You can probably handle normal, and if you can't, just adjust the difficulty as you feel like it until you get a good handle on the combat. And if I'm not mistaken, I don't think Yoko Taro games tend to lock content behind higher difficulties. Multiple playthroughs, yes, but not different difficulty settings. I could be wrong about that, though.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I know platinum games are infamously hard and I couldn't beat Sam in Reveangeance on normal and I've been scarred for life

"Show me a good time Jack..." :negative:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i'm not mad, nor do i care, but taking chip damage from monsoon and losing the No Damage bonus + s rank against revengenance monsoon... do not like...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Harrow posted:

Yes, I forgot to mention it is very anime. The playable characters are an android who dresses like a French maid and has a very lovingly-modeled butt that the 3D artist is apparently very proud of, another android who looks like a 12-year-old boy, and another android who wears basically nothing but has a more robotic-looking body.

There are a few different types of anime nonsense. There's the moe/"cute girls doing cute things" type, which I have very little patience for. But there's also the "everything is suffused with drat-near-nonsensical symbolism drawn from multiple mythologies and it's all going to build to some pseudo-philosophical story that also probably is going to show the main character in a crucifixion pose at some point" anime nonsense and I'm pretty much in for that when the game is good enough. Nier: Automata is definitely going to fall in that latter category. I mean, poo poo, the French maid android is named "2B" and spends the demo level talking about how they're not allowed to have emotions but then having emotions anyway.

Yeah don't think ill be buying this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What games do you like fridge corn

• Locked thread