Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: The Cardinals' mystery excursion was an escape room day.
http://mlb.com/news/article/216859728/cardinals-visit-escape-room/

V: It would be Waino's idea, wouldn't it?

In other news, I had a fever dream last night that Dexter Fowler and I became friends because he was inexplicably curious about Bankruptcy. Best fever dream ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

At this point I'm like 99% sure Maddon posts in SAS

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Corporate retreats to escape rooms as team building exercises own.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Paul Zuvella posted:

At this point I'm like 99% sure Maddon posts in SAS

Groovy, man :cool:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I beat you to it RD.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bird in a Blender posted:

I beat you to it RD.

:golfclap:

What a wonderful photo.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I was trying to show theriot.mp4 (The Theriot blooper reel set to the Benny Hill theme) to someone the other day but I can't find it on Youtube anymore. Anyone know if it's gone or where I can find it?

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Spring training starts today! 2 hours until half hearted baseball begins!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

tadashi posted:

I was trying to show theriot.mp4 (The Theriot blooper reel set to the Benny Hill theme) to someone the other day but I can't find it on Youtube anymore. Anyone know if it's gone or where I can find it?

It's RIOT.mp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMv9Vls7mRg

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pancakes posted:

N: The Cardinals' mystery excursion was an escape room day.
http://mlb.com/news/article/216859728/cardinals-visit-escape-room/
Ballsy choice given what happened to Ozzie in Springfield

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Ballsy choice given what happened to Ozzie in Springfield

If one of the rooms wasn't Mystery Spot themed it represents a severe failure.

Gibertjim
Mar 25, 2005
The Twins were hot garbage last year but at least they might have the last pitcher to gently caress up an IBB:

http://www.twinkietown.com/2017/2/22/14695852/pour-one-out-for-pat-light-and-the-botched-intentional-walk

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

32 CS in 95 attempts from 2008-2010. I never understood how someone so fast could be so bad at stealing bases.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

32 CS in 95 attempts from 2008-2010. I never understood how someone so fast could be so bad at stealing bases.

I'm guessing the ability to get good leads and break at the right time dwarfs the time saved from running a couple MPH faster than another guy.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I'm guessing the ability to get good leads and break at the right time dwarfs the time saved from running a couple MPH faster than another guy.

Yeah, I think that's also why Anthony Rizzo, who is decidedly average or slightly lower on speed ends up with stolen bases fairly often.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Theriot is what happens when you have a player with ~tools~ but no baseball IQ whatsoever.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
First not-real-but-also-kind-of-real baseball of the year starts in under half an hour :dong:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

puig.txt

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: Cubs sign Strop to an extension through 2018, with a team option for 2019. $5.85m in 2018, $6.25m if the option is picked up in 2019 with a $500k buyout.

V: I am okay with this.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Let's chat about pointless baseball games.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811273

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

cebrail posted:

No, it's about cheating. Like when you get caught cheating in a test it's completely irrelevant how good the rest of your test was. I don't agree with those people but they're argument isn't as ridiculous as you're portraying it.

The problem is that it's intellectually bankrupt for people to complain about ~steroids~ and use that as a justification for keeping guys like Bonds and Clemens out of the Hall and basically treating them worse than Satan, yet in the same breath having no problem whatsoever with guys like Mays or Mantle or Aaron, all guys who were known users of amphetamines -- which do have a quantifiable effect upon things like reaction speed. Treating steroids like they're magic dinger juice (to which I say, Melky Cabrera lol) turns it into a horseshit game of No True Scotsman.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Explosionface posted:

Yeah, I think that's also why Anthony Rizzo, who is decidedly average or slightly lower on speed ends up with stolen bases fairly often.

The same way Yadier Molina led the Cardinals with 12 steals a few years ago.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

N: Cubs sign Strop to an extension through 2018, with a team option for 2019. $5.85m in 2018, $6.25m if the option is picked up in 2019 with a $500k buyout.

V: I am okay with this.

Hopefully Maddon can regain confidence in him and Rondon. We actually could have a top shelf bullpen this year. Maybe not top-to-bottom the best in the game, but certainly top 5.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

I am terrified. :catstare:

Pancakes posted:

In other news, I had a fever dream last night that Dexter Fowler and I became friends because he was inexplicably curious about Bankruptcy. Best fever dream ever.

Better than the fever dream I had about Robert Gsellman flirting with me to get me to refrain from testifying against him in court. :shrug: :catdrugs:

To contribute:

N: Colby Rasmus's wife browbeat him into shaving off his terrible beard.

V: Colby Rasmus is married, and I'm not. :smith:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

YeahTubaMike posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI8l87uyDXM

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Your Taint posted:

Maybe not top-to-bottom the best in the game, but certainly top 5.

Top 5 is probably pushing it. Wade Davis was a great get, and Strop is probably one of the best setup men in baseball, but Rondon regressed badly last year (admittedly, no one knows how long he was really hurt) and the rest of the bullpen behind them is a bunch of question marks -- Edwards badly needs to get his changeup worked out, Grimm is a classic Jekyll and Hyde type guy and ... who the hell else do they have? Uehara's rapidly aging carcass?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Timby posted:

Top 5 is probably pushing it. Wade Davis was a great get, and Strop is probably one of the best setup men in baseball, but Rondon regressed badly last year (admittedly, no one knows how long he was really hurt) and the rest of the bullpen behind them is a bunch of question marks -- Edwards badly needs to get his changeup worked out, Grimm is a classic Jekyll and Hyde type guy and ... who the hell else do they have? Uehara's rapidly aging carcass?

Grimm's still there, who was also pretty bad last season, but Duensing has potential and if Montgomery ends up in the pen he is an excellent option.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

loving lol

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I know that the Cubs just won the world series, but holy hell I was not expecting their tickets to be sold out already. What the hell Chicago?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

I wouldn't feel bad about this unless you've also earned $40 million and counting.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Players who have greasy hair and scraggly beards are great, they embrace the fact they've made it in life. They are being paid millions of dollars to play baseball and don't have to give a poo poo about how they look and I think it's fantastic. Colby Rasmus should be looked up to in this regard, more mullets well we're at it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Patrick Spens posted:

I know that the Cubs just won the world series, but holy hell I was not expecting their tickets to be sold out already. What the hell Chicago?

They have more than a hundred thousand people on their season ticket waiting list.

That's after raising ticket prices by like 19 percent a few months ago.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Patrick Spens posted:

On the plus side, they eliminated the six hour stubhub cutoff time, which should help to find cheap (weekday) games last minute.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Patrick Spens posted:

It was pretty similar from 2004-2009 or so. Once they made that playoff run in 03, you had to jump on tickets the first hour they went on sale. It died down once they went into their period of sucking.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Poque posted:

Grimm's still there, who was also pretty bad last season, but Duensing has potential and if Montgomery ends up in the pen he is an excellent option.

Montgomery or Anderson (whichever doesn't make the rotation), Duensing, Strop, CJ, Davis, Rondon, Zastryzsny (sp?), Grimm....

Got some good options there.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I'm on the season ticket holder waiting list for the cubs. I don't even live in Chicago. However, I would totally live there and in 20 years when that comes to pass I'll get a email about the pass being available

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Reds' starting pitcher is literally named "Rookie"

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I am 40,393rd on the waiting list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666