Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You could just played eternal sonata for free on ps now free trial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
There are worse ways to burn five quid, but most of them don't result in being saddled with a mediocre game that either wastes 30 hours of your rapidly dwindling life or adds to the expanse of your backlog to forever remind you of your inability to make sound financial decisions. You may think that you have the makings of a good counter-argument by saying that you've already beaten the game once, but that's just a powerful self-own that further magnifies the bad spending habits you are sharing with the thread.

Let me ask you this: What part of Eternal Sonata are you most excited about?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
No-selling the bosses because of that one kid that can give everyone an 'ignore one hit' barrier every other turn she takes. Though I think she might have been PS3-only.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tae posted:

You could just played eternal sonata for free on ps now free trial

I forget that exists...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ps now is the only reason I played both cold steels without spending on a console.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I hope the next JRPG I play can just have everyone voiced by whoever does Dark Turtlez. I've never wanted to hear more of a dumb accent like this.

To be more on topic, what are some of the crazier (but not Texan) accents in some games?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeager's ridiculous German accent in Vesperia.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Liam O'Brien chewing the scenery in any game he's in. Caius is probably my favorite.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Here just listen to this, it's a much better sonata-related Chopin experience than Eternal Sonata

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxD1ddSQ_ts

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got outbid anyway, £7.50 was too rich for my blood

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

chumbler posted:

Liam O'Brien chewing the scenery in any game he's in. Caius is probably my favorite.

Hell, since Valkyrie Profile 2 came up earlier: he's wonderfully over the top in that game, especially during the final boss fight

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I got outbid anyway, £7.50 was too rich for my blood

Phew. Thank the poor soul who took the bullet for you.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
(Crosspost from another thread)

If I liked Tales of Berseria, would I like Tales of Symphonia? I heard it had a lot of issues when it was first ported to PC, but surely they've ironed those issues out, right?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's so hard to say, Symphonia is a different animal from a different era. It's like someone who played FF15 asking if they should play FF9: my knee-jerk reaction is to say loving yes, but the truth is that they're so incomparable that you might as well be saying you liked Pillars of Eternity, will you like Alpha Protocol since they're made by the same company

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

It's so hard to say, Symphonia is a different animal from a different era. It's like someone who played FF15 asking if they should play FF9: my knee-jerk reaction is to say loving yes, but the truth is that they're so incomparable that you might as well be saying you liked Pillars of Eternity, will you like Alpha Protocol since they're made by the same company

They are very comparable. Symphonia is much like Berseria but everything is worse.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is it worth $2.25 at least? Because that's how much it's going for right now (in my country's currency anyway).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah for that cheap there's no reason not to grab it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Well I mean for that price sure, go for it. It'll feel really clunky in comparison, but you've played jankier poo poo before.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Righto, thanks!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HGH posted:

I hope the next JRPG I play can just have everyone voiced by whoever does Dark Turtlez. I've never wanted to hear more of a dumb accent like this.

To be more on topic, what are some of the crazier (but not Texan) accents in some games?

Have you met my friend Dino from FFXV

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
symphonia for 2$ is a better choice than zestiria

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

The Colonel posted:

symphonia for 2$ is a better choice than zestiria

I really want to play Zestiria cause it shares settings with Berseria, but it's never been cheap enough for me to impulse buy cause everyone says it's terrible.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Charles Get-Out posted:

I really want to play Zestiria cause it shares settings with Berseria, but it's never been cheap enough for me to impulse buy cause everyone says it's terrible.

the interesting things in berseria that seem like they would be elaborated upon in zestiria

Aren't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Charles Get-Out posted:

Apparently the best way to experience Zesteria is to watch the anime. I haven't seen it myself but apparently it's basically The Fixed Version.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ImpAtom posted:

Apparently the best way to experience Zesteria is to watch the anime. I haven't seen it myself but apparently it's basically The Fixed Version.

have you ever wanted to see alisha and rose, but as actual characters who work in a dramatic scene instead of their entire characters being Sorey's Best Disappearing Princess Friend and Cute Girl Who Murders People And Is Afraid Of Ghosts

zestiria the x is like if you took every character in zestiria and made them all actually be characters

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 24, 2017

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Righto, thanks!

here's my important advice: you don't have to let Colette like you

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
one of the best changes in zestiria the x is changing the scattered bones from a band of merry assassins??? who every time they try to actually be assassins fumble everything hilariously before just deciding "ok we're not going to try and murder you now UNLESS WE DECIDE TO LATER", to actual loving assassins who make multiple close attempts on alisha's life before getting an actual reason to call it off, and do straight-up loving murder somebody later on (skipping over the entire fire dungeon in the process)

the war scene is also totally different, with alisha actually taking an active role in ending the battle instead of the set up for the scene being her getting kidnapped off-screen, which is good, because the war scene is one of the worst parts of the entire game

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 24, 2017

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

chumbler posted:

Whelp, now I've got to play this. Lezard is so good, I used to sit in the sound test and just listen.

Personal favorites are "They say not to speak ill of the dead, so I say nice try" and "You must desire respite from your empty existence. Thou shalt have it!"

drat do I want another VP

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Hackan Slash posted:

Whelp, now I've got to play this. Lezard is so good, I used to sit in the sound test and just listen.

Personal favorites are "They say not to speak ill of the dead, so I say nice try" and "You must desire respite from your empty existence. Thou shalt have it!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzSghJAxvXE&t=102s

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lezard is legitimately one of my favorite JRPG villains. He's exactly the right mix of powerful and interesting while also being pathetic and petty. He has no grand goals or lofty ideas but he also isn't a meaningless nihilist. He's just a proto-redditor who lucks into ultimate power and acts like it, and every voice actor/actress he had was excellent at selling the role.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Pillars 2 crowdfunding campaign is going to end soon, if anyone wants to give that a go: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hackan Slash posted:

Caius says some of the dumbest things ever written with 1000% sincerity while looking like he stepped out of a glam rock band. He is amazing.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Is Unlimited SaGa worth playing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only if you hate yourself and need one last push towards suicide

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

GrandpaPants posted:

Pillars 2 crowdfunding campaign is going to end soon, if anyone wants to give that a go: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire

Thanks for reminding me, I almost forgot!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Should I replay smtiv if I only got 15 to 20 hours in last time, or should I go straight to smtiva? I think I fought two major bosses and got to the second town in tokyo

I really enjoyed smtiv a lot, just happened to get distracted. Now I got the smt itch and am wondering if trying to play them both will just burn me out.

On the other hand, smtiv feels like a fresh and exciting world, something that imo is really hard to replicate on sequels that retread ground so maybe it's worth finishing.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 24, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Should I replay smtiv if I only got 15 to 20 hours in last time, or should I go straight to smtiva? I think I fought two major bosses and got to the second town in tokyo

I really enjoyed smtiv a lot, just happened to get distracted. Now I got the smt itch and am wondering if trying to play them both will just burn me out.

On the other hand, smtiv feels like a fresh and exciting world, something that imo is really hard to replicate on sequels that retread ground so maybe it's worth finishing.

SMTIVA is similar enough that you shouldn't go right from IV to A without a break in between. If you can ONLY play one then, yeah, go to A.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Is that why you were trying to buy Eternal Sonata? You can talk to us, you know.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Meme Emulator posted:

Is Unlimited SaGa worth playing

No, but Romancing SaGa is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Sakurazuka posted:

There's at least 100 minutes of game system tutorials on YouTube, which is bizarre since none of them include the game-breaking strategy of snapping the game disc into pieces and dumping them into the garbage where Unlimited SaGa belongs. I got my copy for free and I still feel ripped off.

corn in the bible posted:

No, but Romancing SaGa is

Agreed. That's an amazing game and the only one that I've bothered setting up a PS2 emulator for. Not enough SaGa games on the PS4, and I wasn't blown away by the clips of the Vita version I saw.