Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Harrow posted:

If I had to guess, there's no in-game reason given at all and the reason is therefore just "anime." I haven't played it yet, though, so maybe there is.

if it has to exist that's actually the best possible reason tbh because if you try to justify why a future combat robot is wearing a thong you wind up with dumbass quiet -> metal gear solid 5 explanations

also acceptable in place of "anime" is "horny" they're basically interchangeable

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

exquisite tea posted:

The way to move the conversation forward is to acknowledge games that handle sexuality and relationships maturely and call out the creepy stuff. Everybody agrees with this in the abstract but get uncomfortable when the games they like exhibit some distasteful tendencies themselves.

I am 300% willing to call out a game I like on this stuff, and I think others should be too.

Not everyone's going to 100% agree on what is creepy and what is a tasteful handling of sexuality, but people can get horribly defensive about it, and that's not healthy.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 24, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

its all fine if things were more balanced, but there aint enough games with either not-tittilation or reverse-tittilation yet, i mean it's better now but in the AAA world not much has changed

indie world it's all good

AAA world still believes only dudes play games and would respond to "women make up huge % of AAA gaming" with "FAKE NEWS!!! THEY ONLY PLAY CANDY CRUSH"

what i'm saying is. indie games buy indie games and play them, indie games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would if there were any I enjoyed playing

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

exquisite tea posted:

It's worth mentioning that the same-sex relationship at the heart of Life is Strange almost didn't happen. Dontnod pitched the project to several publishers and Square-Enix was the only one who didn't want them to switch Max's gender.

And do you think it would have happened at all if Life is Strange wasn't being developed in the socially progressing age we're in now? My point is that the detractors won't go away if it continues to be an us v them kind of thing, and despite that progress is still being made, but making it an us v them kind of thing is hard to remove from society so it's not worth worrying about.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

tap my mountain posted:

I'm really curious what the ingame reasoning for her outfit is, considering how the only people on the planet are other robots. Are the humans on the moon who designed her supposed to be a stand in for the skeevy audience?

"I designed a character to be super sexy and make my penis happy but she's a robot and sexless so it's okay, not creepy"

-Taro Yoko

Sex sells. Games as an industry and a market is dominated by males. It's just the same pin-up body type from every other game with some shreds of clothing to give cosplayers another half-naked hero to dress as.

I'm reminded of the Bayonetta 2 story where Platinum sent their proposed Peach and Daisy costumes to Nintendo for approval and Nintendo sent them back asking if they could be made more sexy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CJacobs posted:

And do you think it would have happened at all if Life is Strange wasn't being developed in the socially progressing age we're in now? My point is that the detractors won't go away if it continues to be an us v them kind of thing, and despite that progress is still being made, but making it an us v them kind of thing is hard to remove from society so it's not worth worrying about.

I don't know the point you're trying to make, actually. Is it "people are getting more progressive anyway, therefore there's no real need for us to acknowledge when sexuality in video games is done well / poorly"?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

Some indie games make Waifu Bomberman look tasteful, but yeah, support devs who make good use of emotions and sexuality in games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

exquisite tea posted:

I don't know the point you're trying to make, actually. Is it "people are getting more progressive anyway, therefore there's no need to acknowledge with sexuality in video games is done well / poorly"?

No, it's "there's no reason to get worked up over people thinking poorly of that happening because they're going to become the minority whether they yell about it or not". Which is already happening today, right now, as we speak.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CJacobs posted:

No, it's "there's no reason to get worked up over people thinking poorly of that happening because they're going to become the minority whether they yell about it or not". Which is already happening today, right now, as we speak.

Hmmm I'm not sure you've paid attention to cultural shifts in the US in the past 18 months.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lurdiak posted:

Hmmm I'm not sure you've paid attention to cultural shifts in the US in the past 18 months.

I'm talking about video games, actually

edit: I suppose I should have said "it's going to happen whether they yell about it or not". Whether they become the minority or not is hard to tell at a glance.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 24, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

CJacobs posted:

But the very example you gave of a positive, progressive relationship in Life is Strange almost did not happen in 2015 because of publisher prejudices over what would sell. This shouldn't be an indication that everything is just hunky-dory, but that mature depictions of sexuality + relationships in games are actually quite fragile and even now it's an uphill battle for developers to tell the kinds of stories they'd like to tell.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Many video games are made in the US.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

LawfulWaffle posted:

"I designed a character to be super sexy and make my penis happy but she's a robot and sexless so it's okay, not creepy"

-Taro Yoko

Sex sells. Games as an industry and a market is dominated by males. It's just the same pin-up body type from every other game with some shreds of clothing to give cosplayers another half-naked hero to dress as.

I'm reminded of the Bayonetta 2 story where Platinum sent their proposed Peach and Daisy costumes to Nintendo for approval and Nintendo sent them back asking if they could be made more sexy.

Oh yeah I know full well why she is a sexy maid, I'm just curious what his in universe reason is, since they are sexualized in an explicitly sexless world.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Phantasium posted:

You are now reminded of Xcom's snake titties

"Eh"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Quest For Glory II posted:

its all fine if things were more balanced, but there aint enough games with either not-tittilation or reverse-tittilation yet, i mean it's better now but in the AAA world not much has changed

indie world it's all good

AAA world still believes only dudes play games and would respond to "women make up huge % of AAA gaming" with "FAKE NEWS!!! THEY ONLY PLAY CANDY CRUSH"

Indie games own and all but they have their own set of problems and cliches these days.

Rest assured that every game maker aside from possibly crazy people like SUDA51 follows the philosophy "If it worked once, put it in every game until it stops working, and probably for another 10 years after".

But in general I do agree, like I've played This War of Mine over 100 hours on PC and PS4 combined.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tap my mountain posted:

Oh yeah I know full well why she is a sexy maid, I'm just curious what his in universe reason is, since they are sexualized in an explicitly sexless world.

nanomachines

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I really appreciated the fact that despite Geralt loving just about every sorceress in the game, the camera sexualizes him more than anyone else.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

exquisite tea posted:

But the very example you gave of a positive, progressive relationship in Life is Strange almost did not happen in 2015 because of publisher prejudices over what would sell. This shouldn't be an indication that everything is just hunky-dory, but that mature depictions of sexuality + relationships in games are actually quite fragile and even now it's an uphill battle for developers to tell the kinds of stories they'd like to tell.

But it did happen today where it absolutely would not have before, and that's the important part. Yes, it was an uphill battle because we're in the transitory period right now. The goal is that with enough games like it proving that their ilk does still sell, it won't be an uphill battle anymore. That's not me saying I hope that's what will happen, Life is Strange is living proof that it is happening. I didn't say change was happening fast.

edit: And expecting it to happen fast is just gonna give you hemorrhoids imo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CJacobs posted:

But it did happen today where it absolutely would not have before, and that's the important part. Yes, it was an uphill battle because we're in the transitory period right now. The goal is that with enough games like it proving that their ilk does still sell, it won't be an uphill battle anymore. That's not me saying I hope that's what will happen, Life is Strange is living proof that it is happening. I didn't say change was happening fast.

edit: And expecting it to happen fast is just gonna give you hemorrhoids imo

There is no invisible guiding hand toward progressivism. Society's values are fragile, malleable and always subject to shift in the opposite direction, and battles are won in the court of public opinion and discussion. The cumulative effect of many people saying "this is creepy + racist + misogynistic + whatever" can and does alter the decisions of game developers over time, but expecting they'd just come to the same conclusion on their own is wishful thinking at best. Such conversations need to happen, uncomfortable as though they might be.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i ruined the chat thread

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Boy, I was looking through my PS4 screenshots (both taken by me and ones that the ps4 takes along throphies) to delete most and make room and I realized that holy hell, games this gen look incredible. Like I actually want to replay my entire library now just because of how good they look, I just kind of feel like sticking the camera into every texture and closely watch every animation to marvel how god drat far we've come in video game graphics. Even very lackluster games still manage to look crazy detailed and immersive in a random still shot. Like loving Killzone SF. That game's bad but dude just look at it

I want to invent a time machine to show this poo poo to people 20 years in the past. You think your Resident Evil looks impressive? Well check out how RE7 looks, motherfucker! and then they'd die from sheer amazement

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

exquisite tea posted:

There is no invisible guiding hand toward progressivism. Society's values are fragile, malleable and always subject to shift in the opposite direction, and battles are won in the court of public opinion and discussion. The cumulative effect of many people saying "this is creepy + racist + misogynistic + whatever" can and does alter the decisions of game developers over time, but expecting they'd just come to the same conclusion on their own is wishful thinking at best. Such conversations need to happen, uncomfortable as though they might be.

I'm not saying they shouldn't. All I said was that holding it against someone for being uncomfortable isn't gonna get anyone anywhere. That's why I said it was understandable that sexuality in games makes Regy Rusty uncomfortable even though I disagree with his reasoning, because it is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i ruined the chat thread

Hey, don't take all my credit. I did my part to ruin it, too :colbert:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i wish there was an easy way to pull screenshots/videos off the ps4

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

oddium posted:

Before I got my capture card I just had a fake facebook account I sent them to. They show up there as jpg's but hey whatever it's easy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

Put a thumb drive in it

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

smuh posted:

Boy, I was looking through my PS4 screenshots (both taken by me and ones that the ps4 takes along throphies) to delete most and make room and I realized that holy hell, games this gen look incredible. Like I actually want to replay my entire library now just because of how good they look, I just kind of feel like sticking the camera into every texture and closely watch every animation to marvel how god drat far we've come in video game graphics. Even very lackluster games still manage to look crazy detailed and immersive in a random still shot. Like loving Killzone SF. That game's bad but dude just look at it

I want to invent a time machine to show this poo poo to people 20 years in the past. You think your Resident Evil looks impressive? Well check out how RE7 looks, motherfucker! and then they'd die from sheer amazement

I think about this too sometimes. Like, take a copy of the upcoming Mario or Zelda titles and step back to 1989 and show your younger self. Part of me thinks that it would be too advanced to the point where the viewer can't even understand what they are watching. Like stories of Aztecs not being able to see the Spanish boats on the water until they were practically landed because they had no frame of reference for what was approaching. I'll turn on Breath of the Wild and YoungWaffle's mind would censor all the graphics and gameplay because nothing anywhere comes close to that.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Real hurthling! posted:

Put a thumb drive in it

okay grandpa. we use the cloud now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cowcaster posted:

i ruined the chat thread

Nah this just normal

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It isn't bad that some people had a brief and civil discussion.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

okay grandpa. we use the cloud now

respect your elders or i'll vote trump back in!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wendell posted:

It isn't bad that some people had a brief and civil discussion.

:agreed:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I guess I'm kinda broken because this stuff doesn't faze me anymore.

I remember seeing Cindy in FFXV and going "man, they made the sex appeal character and they didn't give her jiggle titties, how progressive"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I like Bastard Bonds and it is very homosexual

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
There's been some good posts in this thread. Im glad we had this discussion.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

oddium posted:

Push button, send to twitter or youtube? Where are you going to send them that one of those won't work anyway

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't know what happened but a while ago my PS4 stopped being able to upload stuff to Youtube. And it's weird because this happened before I upgraded to a Pro, and it STILL doesn't work after upgrading.

I just get stuck in a loop of logging into to google and then it resetting and saying I need to login again.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

fridge corn posted:

There's been some good posts in this thread. Im glad we had this discussion.
Yeah it was getting bitter but everyone calmed down, I'm glad of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Phantasium posted:

I guess I'm kinda broken because this stuff doesn't faze me anymore.

I remember seeing Cindy in FFXV and going "man, they made the sex appeal character and they didn't give her jiggle titties, how progressive"
If you mean jiggle physics, I'm sure she does have those because even random NPCs do. I noticed this when I ran past a woman walking upstairs in a town; they clearly didn't account for that type of movement when designing their titty physics model because poo poo that looked crazy uncomfortable for her.

Hell I'm fairly sure even Aranea, a character with a full body armor of sorts has the steel give away under the weight of breasts as if it were a plain shirt. I wonder if video games have finally broken me with me actually noticing this poo poo with regularity.

• Locked thread