Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Nice doublethink, Capcom.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

play marvel

https://twitter.com/truongasm/status/834783919895506944

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Keegers posted:

Sf4 launch sucked but ultra was pretty good. Here's to hoping SFv repeats this cycle

The cycle of being recycled for over 6 years, with 5 different released versions, and dozens upon dozens of patches, fixes, and rebalances and still being a bad, dull game?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://twitter.com/galtu00/status/834365314036953089

EDIT - I assume this has been posted?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 24, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

whatever

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 24, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I dunno if this has been posted already. Apologies as I haven't followed the thread as I basically stopped giving a poo poo about SFV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23YUJzeoRFc

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

If every character was as good as urien we might have a fun game.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Keegers posted:

If every character was as good as urien we might have a fun game.

I like Cammy and her medium buttons a whole lot

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gammatron 64 posted:

I dunno if this has been posted already. Apologies as I haven't followed the thread as I basically stopped giving a poo poo about SFV

the only thing i learned in this video is the chicks from the dizzy animation hatch out of eggs that fall out of your skull which is...

actually kinda cool?

anyway if there wasnt as much delay you could probably whiff punish that and if there was better movespeed it'd be easier to bait so idk

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gammatron 64 posted:

What this is telling me Urien's actually cool and fun to play and everyone else has really lovely normals.

So I guess season 3 Urien is getting nerfed.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

What this is telling me Urien's actually cool and fun to play and everyone else has really lovely normals.

Next Balance patch is in march lol

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He is, I just don't really want to play him because everybody else is and I don't really wanna play a game with only 1 character in it

Although I play Cammy and can't be arsed to bother learning anyone else so I'm not one to talk

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I've played like 5 characters until I got tired of them and the game is still bad. My only advice out of that experience to is play a lot of Alex and then when you go back to playing the character you like you'll feel like Goku taking off his 1000lb pajamas and arm rings.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

is this real?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Next Balance patch is in march lol

Whoa whoa whoa buddy, don't get too crazy.

The announcement of the next balance patch is in March, they were only announcing the announcement.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Whoa whoa whoa buddy, don't get too crazy.

The announcement of the next balance patch is in March, they were only announcing the announcement.

Capcpom

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Descar posted:

is this real?

Yes, you can check the Steam cheevos for that.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9-Abtl-9c0

Good rant I think. Maybe. I dont know. woop.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Only watched maybe half of it, seemed like he exaggerated a lot and talked about stuff that doesn't matter like story mode and the lore of SFV.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Only watched maybe half of it, seemed like he exaggerated a lot and talked about stuff that doesn't matter like story mode and the lore of SFV.

I liked the one video he made titled "why sf5 sucks in less than 5 minutes" that is 19 minutes long

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

congrats to infiltration for making a sfv beginner video that actually edits out the training mode menu for his tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSlvSaZ72wg

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I like this game and Kolin looks fun.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

We Know Catheters posted:

I like this game and Kolin looks fun.

Kolin does look fun probably gonna play her for a week and go back to being left behind.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Night Blade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9-Abtl-9c0

Good rant I think. Maybe. I dont know. woop.

It's a lot of old complaints rehashed into a long whiny rant.

Lack of communication and long loading times are huge issues though, you can't mention that enough.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

apple posted:

It's a lot of old complaints rehashed into a long whiny rant.

Lack of communication and long loading times are huge issues though, you can't mention that enough.

capcoms brand of (non) communication works pretty good with their general model though. what kind of positive communication could they have with the level of follow-through they have exhibited so far? capcom has never been interested in having an open conversation about design decisions in their games. if this was the case, sf4 would not have been like it was at launch and they would not be moving the sf series in the trajectory they are moving it through sf4, sfxt and sfv. capcom is just going to do whatever. even a "we hosed up" is just empty talk, like when they admitted they hosed up and made the PS4 version of usfiv really laggy (as laggy as sfv) and even pulled it from capcom pro tour, and finally fixed it.... they still released SFV with as much lag as the game they had JUST released and apologized for.

capcom doesnt seem to have an interest in listening to anyone. it's almost like there are people immune to critique, commentary, or advice in charge of making every decision for the company. or maybe they just dont care. like they seem to have a "use it or lose it" approach to their IPs where they just let whoever make games for them when they get old. DmC reboot by Ninja Theory, dimps touching basically every fg but marvel, publishing megaman fan games, letting outside devs develop main-line megaman releases, etc etc. when they do have studios wanting to make anything unique or cool they just say nah and dissolve Clover studios, or cancel the new megaman legends game and literally blame fans for its cancellation, or put their talented people in charge of making instruction manuals

Valve has a similar approach to talking about a lot of balance stuff and things like setting deadlines. They aren't interested in what anyone has to say really and they don't care to open a dialogue for no reason since they have no intention of listening. at least valve stuff releases with support for their peripherals and generally as complete products

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
at this point I've stopped complaining and just stopped playing.

It isn't 2007. There are too many other fighters out and coming. The flat out best blaze blue is here. Guilty gears thriving. A new kof is out. Tekken 7 has a release date. The rest still have niche but played communities.

and generally just too many good games to even think about this one, and it made an excellent candidate for deletion from my ps4 when i downloaded nioh

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Zand posted:

capcoms brand of (non) communication works pretty good with their general model though. what kind of positive communication could they have with the level of follow-through they have exhibited so far?

The most relevant example right now are the season 2 characters: if they want more people to cough up $30 for a season pass they could spend a tiny amount effort promoting the new characters beyond "they're brand new characters!" You can't expect people to throw $30 at you if you can't at least get them a bit invested in the characters. Their current plan at best tries to catch a player's attention sometime during the extremely slow trickle of character reveals, and by then even more people will lose interest.

I can understand if they're apprehensive about talking details about upcoming balance because I have no faith in them knowing what they're actually doing on that front, but they're shooting themselves in the foot at this point with the season 2 characters. Other problems aside, their non-communication is absolutely directly affecting their sales when it comes to DLC characters.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

The game is poo poo and I k of that but I've been playing for the last 2 weeks as Zangief and having fun when people don't act like idiots. Welp that my story.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Also meaty head butt is loving dumb as you can either combo or block string into standing light kick for a confirm. If it hits go into spinny poo poo or go to light command grab. It's kind of dumb that's what the game is down too

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Hey I haven't been playing SFV much or reading the thread lately but I'm back baby, I really missed chatting about abstruse fighting game details a lot!

Just one thing real quick:

quote:

So far I've replaced the square joystick gate with an octagonal one.

Don't loving do this. Don't anyone EVER loving do this. If anyone reading this right now has done it please go undo it and forget you even tried it. Thank you.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
just play rev. and rev 2 when it comes out

ADTerminal
Jun 1, 2011

Trykt posted:

Don't loving do this. Don't anyone EVER loving do this. If anyone reading this right now has done it please go undo it and forget you even tried it. Thank you.

:can:

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Based on this is it easier to return the stick to neutral on the octo gate 'cos neutral a bigger % coverage? :v:

Edit: I guess it is cos the stick doesn't travel as far back.

Why don't we just let people use what they want? :cry:

Biggz fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 26, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just let go of it

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
how2counter ex-bullhead

https://a.pomf.cat/vheofr.webm

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Biggz posted:

Based on this is it easier to return the stick to neutral on the octo gate 'cos neutral a bigger % coverage? :v:

Edit: I guess it is cos the stick doesn't travel as far back.

neutral occupies the same amount of physical space but is a higher percentage of total space available to move

to adjust the throw of the stick, like get a longer throw, a sanwa stick is good. seimetsus have a shorter throw, meaning you have to move the stick less distance to get an input. this is useful in anime games especially for things like iads (and hops in kof for that matter)

additionally returning to neutral can be made easier by putting a good spring in the stick

Zand fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 27, 2017

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Easiest controller to return to neutral is a Hitbox!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mattavist posted:

Easiest controller to return to neutral is a Hitbox!

Hitbox Master Race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Biggz posted:

Nobody WANTS to use octogate, they just get a twisted idea in their head that it's somehow normal/standard/good, like their brain goes "oh 8 directions, that makes sense, better get that!" but it's really just a thing that will only ever get in your way. The best you can do is get used to it and maybe get decent despite it and not realize how much shittier it is; there is no scenario where it is a benefit.

I am telling the world, for the good of all, stop loving using octogate!