Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Or, we could just say "gently caress farming, it is dumb and lame." and import our food. Why the gently caress should we subsidize so much ag and force 3rd World labor conditions, when we could just pay the 3rd World to do it?

The costs of the global supply chain in terms of CO2 emissions can't be factored out of calculations about things like this, reducing the distance you are shipping food when possible is a good thing. We should just pay the people doing the work a living wage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Ragequit posted:

I watched Hot Fuzz for probably the 10th time last night and enjoyed it immensely. Seem to discover something new with it every single time.

.......cocks......

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

murked by dragon posted:

hail hypersatan

Biden doesn't give A gently caress

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Zas posted:

if they deported bobby jindal no one would lift a finger and his kids would be stoked

when will u learn

that u cannot

swindle
👏
the
👏
jindal

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Mattering might be occurring
https://twitter.com/MichaelCBender/status/835250210519543808

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

FabioClone posted:

Trump is the funniest conservative comedian, by far.

I always imagine Huckabee's delivery like Tim Heidecker, intentionally botching his jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afpPjQhd480

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
listening to the audio and Spicey sounds like such a weasel bitch

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Mattering might be occurring

https://twitter.com/smbsshowbot/status/835250876562432001

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Jazerus posted:

maybe if the media isn't chasing trump they will focus on hard-hitting investigative journalism

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

🤔

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

hooked on the brothers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

SpaceGoku posted:

prisons don't want to make prisoners do the work because they're too chickenshit to trust prisoners with harvest tools

i'm from louisiana and the big state prison is an old cotton plantation that they force the mostly black convicts to work for pennies an hour

apparently it's useful to keeping things under control when your convict population is worn the hell out

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

what would actually happen if libertarians got their deregulated ayn rand paradise?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

ATP_Power posted:

The costs of the global supply chain in terms of CO2 emissions can't be factored out of calculations about things like this, reducing the distance you are shipping food when possible is a good thing. We should just pay the people doing the work a living wage.

It's a fair enough point, but would probably need quantification.

All I'm saying is that if people don't want $20 lettuce, and you can't get workers for even 15-20 p/hr, then just import the loving lettuce from Honduras. Part of what fucks 3rd World farmers so hard is having to compete with US subsidized production.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

What did his son kill with the jawbone of that dog?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

prefect posted:

I get depressed sometimes when I think about aquifers, and this sounds like it could definitely cheer me up. :unsmith:

he doesn't talk at length about the water economy but does point out what i pointed out that water is insanely undervalued and that's really the problem. it's not that there are too many people or desertification is inevitable. the question is how we get there, which is a distinctly thorny one.

that said, also understand taht even horrifically fouled aquifers are getting cleaned up every year. hell, my friend is just graduating from okahoma university's CREW team. they have been working on a watershed in northeast oklahoma that was so fouled by acid mine runoff from the iron mines there that the EPA loving peaced out of it in the clinton years. said it would take over 100 million usd to clean up and called it 'irreparably damaged'

well you know what?

they have a passive treatment system that runs for under 100k/yr and has cleaned up just over 40% of the water table so far. at the current rate they will fix it for 1.4 million USD. if other communities join in and they capture an economy of scale they can do it for like 900k usd.

i've gone down and toured the system, it owns so loving much it hurts.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

tacodaemon posted:

i keep cracking up every time i read this tweet from scott pruitt

https://mobile.twitter.com/EPAScottPruitt/status/835240386125778945

holy gently caress I can't handle this disruptive innovation

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Zas posted:

if they deported bobby jindal no one would lift a finger and his kids would be stoked

but why would they ever deport piyush "bobby" jindal

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

jethro knights is a loving awesome name

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Coolguye posted:

did you know that this one man's advances in the area of plant pathology and genetics enabled india to be a net exporter of grain and banish famine from the subcontinent: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug

did you know that the primary source of malnutrition in india, one of the most famine-prone countries on the planet for the last 200 years, is now lovely roads rather than insufficient arable land

did you know that borlaug's dwarf grains banished that structural famine from the subcontinent the exact same year the mccarther genius grant winner called it "a pipe dream that india would ever feed itself" and further suggested that it should be left to starve as not to drag down the rest of the world

did you know that we are less than 1/3rd of the way to the solar-power limit of intensive agricultural yields, which is the only widespread agricultural problem we have not solved in a large-scale way yet (soil -> fertilizer from fixed ammonia, water -> drip irrigation systems that have extremely low waste, pests/fungus -> human-safe biological pesticides such as bacillus thuringiensis GMO'd into the food and fiber crops)

did you know that the UN officially forecasts the population of the earth to peak at 8.3 billion people due to the demographic transitions including female emancipation and increased prosperity that are causing fertility rates to plummet in all but 8 of the countries on the planet (even Yemen)

did you know that even if technology stopped innovating RIGHT NOW and we simply implemented the fertilizer/drip irrigation/pest resistant combo on opportunistic arable land we have RIGHT NOW in africa, europe, and central asia we could feed a 2000 calorie diet to every single one of those 8.3 billion people, and also produce enough cotton to clothe them properly, and do it on fewer acres of farmland than we have plowed today, which would, among other things, allow the amazon rainforest to grow back to its 1950 levels

did you know that the above factoid assumes that everyone keeps eating roughly as much meat as the average westerner does today, so in fact the poorest billion on the planet could eat roughly 4x more chicken, pork, and beef than the currently do and the above still holds

my dude, there are lots of reasons why the future might be scary, but food is not one of them. we already have the technology we need in order to feed the entire world from a farming aspect, and we do not need to kill half of the planet to get to our goals. what we need is more intense trade to deploy this technology and transport the goods to the people who need them (which is :eyepop: globalism :eyepop:).

appropriate post/name combo

mccain is looking a little pale to me right now, how are you?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Pretty funny to read all the hate Fat Mike Huckabee gets whenever he tweets though

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ATP_Power posted:

CO2 for each pound shipped per mile is actually really low for sea shipping. Combine that with efficient supply chains and growing in optimal environments (rather than closer, but suboptimal environments) actually generally makes overseas shipping of food contribute less greenhouse gases than locally grown stuff.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

and i must meme posted:

what would actually happen if libertarians got their deregulated ayn rand paradise?

It would probably collapse in 10 years like the first attempt at American govt.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Darkman Fanpage posted:

huckabee is a profoundly dumb man

Joshua fit the battle of Jericho and the walls came tumbling down. Can't spell "Jared Kushner" w/o the letters in Joshua, except the "O" 1/3

and his advice makes Trump as fit as Chris Jericho so his wall will come tumbling up. The "O" stands for Oonservatism, which in this 2/3

analogy is the leavening that leaveneth the lump. Democrat Party-run media will take their lumps because of their #fakenews BAM! 3/3

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ex post facho posted:

lmao i forgot that vladimir putin (the poster) is a hillary partidan, who believes batman is perfectly sane and fjne

I'm proud to have voted for Obama 2x and also for Clinton. So loving what? The arguments about how Clinton would be no better than Trump were so moronic before the election. Post election we can see so clearly how loving stupid those arguments were. That much to me is obvious and not even controversial.

Batman and Punisher, OK they may have some unresolved mental issues. I'm willing to relent on that.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm from louisiana and the big state prison is an old cotton plantation that they force the mostly black convicts to work for pennies an hour

apparently it's useful to keeping things under control when your convict population is worn the hell out

yeah you can pick cotton with your fingers

you can't do that with blackberries

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ATP_Power posted:

container ships are so mammoth and efficient at this point that in the case of growing wheat and corn in the midwestern united states and importing it to japan, transport amounts to less than 5% of a pound of grain's total CO2 footprint

tilling the soil actually is the biggest part because it trundles up thousands of pounds of rotting plant material.

the real way to reduce CO2 footprint is to simply grow things where it makes sense to grow them, not try to force an arbitrary amount of agriculture on any given country. you don't grow cocoa in oregon and you don't grow oranges in kansas. you can do it, but it's very wasteful.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Thatcher Deluxe

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

CO2 for each pound shipped per mile is actually really low for sea shipping. Combine that with efficient supply chains and growing in optimal environments (rather than closer, but suboptimal environments) actually generally makes overseas shipping of food contribute less greenhouse gases than locally grown stuff.

Don't tell the greens that op.
"You mean my lovely urban garden can't feed the world???"

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Vladimir Putin posted:

I'm proud to have voted for Obama 2x and also for Clinton. So loving what? The arguments about how Clinton would be no better than Trump were so moronic before the election. Post election we can see so clearly how loving stupid those arguments were. That much to me is obvious and not even controversial.

:agreed: A Clinton presidency wouldnt even be half this funny

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
huckabee cums straight cream gravy

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

rear end cobra posted:

:agreed: A Clinton presidency wouldnt even be half this funny

Nonstop Benghazi hearings.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Coolguye posted:

container ships are so mammoth and efficient at this point that in the case of growing wheat and corn in the midwestern united states and importing it to japan, transport amounts to less than 5% of a pound of grain's total CO2 footprint

tilling the soil actually is the biggest part because it trundles up thousands of pounds of rotting plant material.

the real way to reduce CO2 footprint is to simply grow things where it makes sense to grow them, not try to force an arbitrary amount of agriculture on any given country. you don't grow cocoa in oregon and you don't grow oranges in kansas. you can do it, but it's very wasteful.

:yossame:

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

its hosed up that the country elected a mentally challenged liar with a terrible personality to be president because they agree with his hard line stance on non white people.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

slouch posted:

its hosed up that the country elected a mentally challenged liar with a terrible personality to be president because they agree with his hard line stance on non white people.

"its the economy, stupid"

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Vladimir Putin posted:

He's not a mentally ill. He's a vigilante that kills because he saw his own family ruthlessly gunned down in front of him. Would you call Batman loving mentally ill? The same thing happened to him just in a different city.

yeah, Batman's pretty loopy, he dresses up as a bat and spends his immense fortune building giant paramilitary toys to alleviate his mental illness

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

Thatcher Deluxe

there is no free lunch; eat the rich

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Lastgirl posted:

it's the economy? stupid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Lastgirl posted:

I looked at my MHG file and forgot that I spent more time in 4U than it :eng99:

I can probably zip my way to Village 4* quests for Najarala though!!

• Locked thread