Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

Push button, send to twitter or youtube? Where are you going to send them that one of those won't work anyway

Sending pic to Twitter just gives you a really lovely compressed tiny image. Like if you needed to read text, it's worthless.

Or at least it was when I tried it over a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CrashCat posted:

Push button, send to twitter or youtube? Where are you going to send them that one of those won't work anyway

i print them out at staples for scrapbooking and other arts

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

There is no invisible guiding hand toward progressivism. Society's values are fragile, malleable and always subject to shift in the opposite direction, and battles are won in the court of public opinion and discussion. The cumulative effect of many people saying "this is creepy + racist + misogynistic + whatever" can and does alter the decisions of game developers over time, but expecting they'd just come to the same conclusion on their own is wishful thinking at best. Such conversations need to happen, uncomfortable as though they might be.

Your thesis statement is directly contradicted by the rest of your paragraph. That cumulative effect is the invisible guiding hand. B-

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like, in this context, "invisible hand" refers to a single actor. The argument being that it is an aggregate effect and not a single actor.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I remember when you wanted to take screenshots you had to turn the lights off and possibly adjust TV settings or Nintendo Power wouldn't accept your submission.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm pretty sure at one point I recorded gameplay of Jak & Daxter on VHS so that I could mail it in to Official Playstation Magazine in order to be in some contest.

I didn't win.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I took a polaroid once of me getting the hadoken or some other hidden weapon in Megaman X

wonder if my mom still has that in her hope chest of crap

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Did any of you ever win any game magazine contests?

I know I got some Tales of Symphonia cards out of Nintendo Power one time.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

smuh posted:

If you mean jiggle physics, I'm sure she does have those because even random NPCs do. I noticed this when I ran past a woman walking upstairs in a town; they clearly didn't account for that type of movement when designing their titty physics model because poo poo that looked crazy uncomfortable for her.

Hell I'm fairly sure even Aranea, a character with a full body armor of sorts has the steel give away under the weight of breasts as if it were a plain shirt. I wonder if video games have finally broken me with me actually noticing this poo poo with regularity.
Yeah even some wrinkly old ladies walking around in the city have amazing cleavage in FFXV, it's a bit of a bizarre mix of anime and attempted photorealism

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Phantasium posted:

Sega was running a contest on Sega Channel (RIP you beautiful bastard) for... I can't remember the movie, some nickelodeon live action spy thing... that I got second place in

A fanny pack bag of random movie swag I've long since forgotten about

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Someone give me an anigif of The Sega Channel Guy with all the shifting colours so I can have a new avatar, I can't search for it at work, tia

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Snak posted:

I feel like, in this context, "invisible hand" refers to a single actor. The argument being that it is an aggregate effect and not a single actor.

That's not what invisible hand means unless you are willfully literal

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Phantasium posted:

No, though back when the internet was pretty new (1998 I wanna say) Matador's website had a contest to write a funny caption for some picture of Jon Spencer in a gorilla suit. I have no clue what I submitted, as I was undoubtedly stoned off my nut and also probably in a hurry to go play frisbee golf (look, I did say it was the 90s), but out of the literal dozens of submissions they got mine won. They sent me a VHS tape, a t-shirt and some stickers.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I was looking at some For Honor videos on YouTube, seems cool although it's PVP-only so I'm never going to play it. But I was reminded of that samurai fighting game where you die in one hit, back on the original PlayStation I think, what was it called?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

That's not what invisible hand means unless you are willfully literal

I know that's not what it means. That's how it seemed like it was being used in that instance, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I was looking at some For Honor videos on YouTube, seems cool although it's PVP-only so I'm never going to play it. But I was reminded of that samurai fighting game where you die in one hit, back on the original PlayStation I think, what was it called?

You're thinking of Bushido Blade, and it owns. I loved the hell out of Bushido Blade.

For Honor does have a campaign mode but (at least going by what I've heard--I don't have the game myself) it is definitely not the main draw and not reason enough to buy the game. It also has bot matches that are apparently pretty robust, but I think that's mostly intended to let you practice so you can go play online.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

bushido blade lets you surrender to be executed. For honor makes you kill yourself when the host drops in the middle of your big combo. they are very different

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

precision posted:

Your thesis statement is directly contradicted by the rest of your paragraph. That cumulative effect is the invisible guiding hand. B-

I don't think you understand my point at all. I'm saying the assumption that "things will always get more progressive, so why bother being vocal about it?" is a naive one, that societal values are very malleable and always subject to shift in the opposite direction.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The spiritual sequel to Bushido Blade is actually the Deadliest Warrior games of last gen

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think you understand my point at all. I'm saying the assumption that "things will always get more progressive, so why bother being vocal about it?" is a naive one, that societal values are very malleable and always subject to shift in the opposite direction.

Oh, I agree with you there. I was just being pedantic, which is why I included a letter grade, as if it were written by a college professor.

And also that there is kind of a hand, that is invisible, such as things like uploading gameplay feedback so that they can accurately see how many people are playing as historically under-represented groups (ie women and gay/bisexual people)

Like, it's probably stupid on one level that I deliberately did a Gay Shepard run of Mass Effect, because I don't care for the romance stuff in the game at all, but it also probably did a little bit of good, because I am bisexual and I find the staggering amount of straight male dick-swinging in video games to be really offputting. Like, that aspect of the game is probably the only criticism I have of Resident Evil 7 (which I just finished last night, so yes I'm including the super silly ending stuff).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Why you so guilty weegee?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Is there a spiritual sequel to Die by the Sword?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

I don't know what happened but a while ago my PS4 stopped being able to upload stuff to Youtube. And it's weird because this happened before I upgraded to a Pro, and it STILL doesn't work after upgrading.

I just get stuck in a loop of logging into to google and then it resetting and saying I need to login again.

That's a bummer, I use upload functions near daily.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I be more bummed out if Berseria actually let me record anything worth a drat.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bushido blade is so sick. Do any psx emulators have netplay?

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
epsxe has it, apparently.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh man, I wanna play some bushido blade then...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Oh man, I wanna play some bushido blade then...

i gotta get my ps1 and bb2 disc from home next time i visit

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I remember reading an interview with the producer of Bulletstorm and she mentioned that she had to ask the designers not to give the Trishka character giant bouncing titties. The designers were apparently dumbfounded by the suggestion (and that was just their default impression of what "kickass video game chick" was) and they had to have a long meeting to address the breast size issue.

So that post that was saying that seeing overly sexualized women in video games reminds them of the gender gap in the industry and makes the connection that representation is a symptom of larger industry concerns is 100% correct

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Aren't the like the most consistently best selling games sports and fps' with fairly chaste aesthetics?

e: they rarely feature women, however iirc :(

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do those games even have women in them?

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
I'm going to say not really no. Though FIFA 17 did add women to their roster I think.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blank Construct posted:

I'm going to say not really no. Though FIFA 17 did add women to their roster I think.

Which made a bunch of people really mad.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Is there a spiritual sequel to Die by the Sword?

I think there was some crowdfunding thing for a game called "dad by the sword" or something like that, lemme see if I can find it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/cliffski/status/835270554542297088

:stare:

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Lurdiak posted:

Which made a bunch of people really mad.

Aw man. :(

Still, seems like violence and competition are the big winners in terms of sales (from a western pc/console perspective).

e: :stare:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ok yeah I looked it up and it is called Dad By The Sword, but it looks like it is still in development with the dev's site down and the most recent comment being something from 4 weeks ago on a youtube video where the dev said the game was hospitalized and is currently recovering from a hemorrhoid.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i ruined the chat thread

The chat thread has been extremely good today, as it usually is when people have serious but civil discussions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Phantasium posted:

Magazine, no, but I did win my custom painted PS4 from an Amazon contest.

• Locked thread