Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Akko... flying???!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i cant believe imaishi is going to literally kill sucy
https://twitter.com/LWA_jp/status/835078160655908864

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's about time we got a Sucy episode :getin:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Futaba Anzu posted:

i cant believe imaishi is going to literally kill sucy
https://twitter.com/LWA_jp/status/835078160655908864

This seems appropriate for Sucy's character though. She's always been the macabre one of the three.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
That thief!! This is just gonna be a redux of Corpse Bride!! :argh:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So I guess Sucy's going to be Princess Toadstool now?

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

brutal

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

So I guess Sucy's going to be Princess Toadstool now?

Among other things. Sucy contains multitudes.

Including at least one part of her that wants to smooch Akko. Those are the parts she brutally murders.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Gyaru Sucy was wearing SPL Midori's uniform. That's just one reference among like a dozen that were in this episode but that's the one I'll point out.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This episode was really funny and well animated and all, and I do like some of what it did with Sucy's character, but I kinda wish after 8 episodes that I had more nice things to say about this show besides than "it's funny and well produced." I know it's got two cours, so there's still plenty of time, but I keep kind of waiting for there to be something more interesting going on from a narrative or character perspective. I felt like there was an opportunity to make Sucy and her relationship with Akko and Lotte a lot more interesting that went largely unexplored so we could get more breathless gags.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Knowing it was an Imaishi episode really just made made expect nothing more than breathless gags, so I was satisfied that it delivered on that very well on that front.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

At least there was the one scene that shows Sucy really treasures meeting Akko

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I'll take "breathless gags" over Andrew or any other pointless character anytime.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

holy poo poo that ep was loving fire as gently caress

Comrade Kirov
Sep 12, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/l4j4nnl.mp4

I think on some level Lotte enjoyed that...

Also, I just can't help to love when Trigger does classic disney bits, it's so charming and absurd.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i cant believe lwa is the flip flappers, rick and morty, AND evangelion of anime

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
That episode was fuckin' bonkers and I loved every second of it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

As soon as Ursula threatens to take the mantle of best girl, Sucy seals it.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
drat, that episode is going to need a ton of re-watching to catch everything

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

chiasaur11 posted:

Among other things. Sucy contains multitudes.

Including at least one part of her that wants to smooch Akko. Those are the parts she brutally murders.

Or maybe it's the part of her that wants to angrily defend her shipping in her favorite shows.

But given how they implied that this is part of the mental, social, and emotional growth of a teen like Sucy...a crush is more likely :3:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Spiritus Nox posted:

This episode was really funny and well animated and all, and I do like some of what it did with Sucy's character, but I kinda wish after 8 episodes that I had more nice things to say about this show besides than "it's funny and well produced." I know it's got two cours, so there's still plenty of time, but I keep kind of waiting for there to be something more interesting going on from a narrative or character perspective. I felt like there was an opportunity to make Sucy and her relationship with Akko and Lotte a lot more interesting that went largely unexplored so we could get more breathless gags.

Maybe your need for some imaginary "depth" to appreciate a cartoon is, in itself, shallow?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 27, 2017

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Holy poo poo that was such a mindfuck. So was it a dream or not?

And that ending was a huge shout out to Disney: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmM-XX8atlQ

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Something I liked about this episode, while we're on the topic of depth?

Most of the time shows do an episode like this, the moral would be Akko's "They're all the real Sucy!". Here, though, the moral was 'Hey, you know how you aren't crazy? That's because people judge their impulses, encouraging some and burying others. You disrupting Sucy's standard pattern of crushing everything not-Sucy about herself put the whole school in danger. It's who we choose to be, not our random neuron flares, that define us."

And it's the not-Sucy bits that wanted the Akko smooching, while the core Sucy wanted no part of it. If we're evaluating crush status.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
This week on Little Witch Academia Sucy ODs but Akko and Lotte won't call an ambulance because they're scared of going to jail.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Dire Lemming posted:

This week on Little Witch Academia Sucy ODs but Akko and Lotte won't call an ambulance because they're scared of going to jail.

It's Always Sunny in Luna Nova

Anyway, great episode and just about exactly what I'd expect out of Imaishi. After the Lotte episode I've been hoping for one focusing on Sucy, so this was great and pretty appropriate for her character, I thought.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That was a fantastic episode. Hardly the flop everyone was anticipating.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sucy accepts her "likes mushrooms too much" side but not her "wants a boyfriend" side. Sucy is officially mycosexual.

This episode was hilarious. I loved Akko in classic Disney style.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dire Lemming posted:

lol

My brother keeps looking for stuff for his daughter to watch that isn't the same 3 disney movies on loop and if this stays not...as anime as most anime I'd recommend it but she's probably too young to get most of this stuff. Hopefully it gets dubbed- maybe in a year or two.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 27, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Fabricated posted:

lol

My brother keeps looking for stuff for his daughter to watch that isn't the same 3 disney movies on loop and if this stays not...as anime as most anime I'd recommend it but she's probably too young to get most of this stuff. Hopefully it gets dubbed- maybe in a year or two.

Yeah, I agree that this could easily be a hit among fans of Western animation as it is right now.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

Yeah, I agree that this could easily be a hit among fans of Western animation as it is right now.

Man it was practically these folks who made LWA what it is today! When the original short was released I think it did OK in Japan but super caught fire among Western fans, who ended up being the ones who funded the second OVA's kickstarter. I think that's why it feels so familiar and good, they're making it (in a certain sense, in some ways) for us, it's a love-letter to Western animation and pop culture.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

DrSunshine posted:

Man it was practically these folks who made LWA what it is today! When the original short was released I think it did OK in Japan but super caught fire among Western fans, who ended up being the ones who funded the second OVA's kickstarter. I think that's why it feels so familiar and good, they're making it (in a certain sense, in some ways) for us, it's a love-letter to Western animation and pop culture.

I very much like it for what it is. Some people are expecting a grand overarching adventure, but I can appreciate the daily life at Hogwarts with a bunch of well-intentioned screw-ups route that it's taking instead. The episodic, slapstick comedy is great.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Also they can still have a grander plot happen whenever they feel like, they likely just don't want to put the cart before the horse like a certain other show.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Fabricated posted:

lol

I don't know how many shows they did this with, but Netflix had Ajin: Demi-Human dubbed as it was airing so they streamed the whole season dubbed only a couple days after it finished airing in Japan.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

What the actual literal gently caress did I just watch?

:allears:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Netflix when it releases the first cour will have it most likely all dubbed by then.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think it'd be hard to have a grander plot with stakes when the magic system is a little less clear than Harry Potter's was.

If they can pull it off great, but right now my expectations are firmly in "The daily adventures of Akko and friends".

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I figured the grand adventure was Akko maturing and growing up as she works to turn her dream into reality, I didn't really expect a grand adventure other than the magical episodic ones we get.

I'm just glad western audiences are starting to influence anime green lights so we get more content that isn't just idol bullshit towards mega japanese merch whales.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'm not sure about the "No overarching plot" thing. It seems like they've already put a bunch of hints towards an overarching theme -- the theme that Magic is on the decline in the world. It gets reiterated in various ways in almost every episode. From the way the school's unambitious students seem to just aim for low-key, safe professions, the ossified teachers insisting on sticking to traditions, the fact that Muggles look down on magic as archaic and outdated, the crippling inability to use magic outside of the range of the school -- even dragons have given up magic in exchange for trading in stock options! All this seems to be setting up for Akko to bring in some life into this slowly dying magical world and restore some glory back to magic, some joy and optimism back into the idea of ~making your dreams come true~.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Netflix when it releases the first cour will have it most likely all dubbed by then.

I think it might depend on the Japanese partner. Like, they took forever to release Seven Deadly Sins, but last summer they released Kuromukuro subbed shortly after it aired with the dub following a few months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

livingfruitvirus posted:

I think it might depend on the Japanese partner. Like, they took forever to release Seven Deadly Sins, but last summer they released Kuromukuro subbed shortly after it aired with the dub following a few months later.

Netflix is streaming it in Japan on a weekly release. I think Netflix is a terrible anime streamer though considering crunchyroll can do simulcasts but netflix waits.

• Locked thread