Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I made it to the second level in Enter the Gungeon for the third time ever! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oh cool cool mountain's music is just a wintery version of the slide theme and i never noticed

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The best secrets have songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwZISypgA9M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al0XOLM9FPw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_eOpM7qQHo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2S5s1WtUh0

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's not a secret song but i'm listening to boggy b

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i basically decided that if i'm going to make even a penny off of playing video games it won't be through streaming, just from sheer volume of pre-recorded content on youtube. much easier to build up queued content, less stress.

the only streaming i'd do is the kind of autostream where a playlist of your channel's existing videos play, twitch was supposed to roll that out but they never did

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXbEhosNvRc

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

i basically decided that if i'm going to make even a penny off of playing video games it won't be through streaming, just from sheer volume of pre-recorded content on youtube. much easier to build up queued content, less stress.

the only streaming i'd do is the kind of autostream where a playlist of your channel's existing videos play, twitch was supposed to roll that out but they never did

I enjoy hanging out in streams, especially devstreams, but I can't fathom watching someone, especially someone doing a 24 hour stream. I got games to play myself, and I definitely don't want them to die for my free entertainment.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I feel like making video games your job would make you hate them after a while

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

i mean a job's a job, even one you enjoy

right now i only record video games at the end of a day when i'm relaxing so it's compartmentalized in my mind as part of relaxation time and not really work

i can't really imagine doing it as my primary line of work

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Guy Mann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEZL37k-oJI

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Help Im Alive posted:

The thing is that when you're a streamer your job isn't playing video games, it's manipulating search algorithms and internet advertising platforms. The gaming is just an extension of that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Is Civ 6 at least fun to play?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Guy Mann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUDcSeUvkOw

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the only streamers i follow are chill dudes who do it as a side thing and an excuse to play video games they like alongside their real jobs, i can't imagine what it's like to stream full-time

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

*sniff* That was beautiful......

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i had that cd

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tenzarin posted:

Is Civ 6 at least fun to play?

It's fun, but after you play one or two games, you see the crazy flaws in it that make it very difficult to play another game of it until the problems get patched.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I stream and hell, I like it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I streamed for multiple days in a row this week because I was restless but still couldn't go anywhere due to the pain from my kidney stones and I gotta say, it was a lot of fun but it did wear me out. I can't imagine doing it for twice as long as I did every day. That would suck.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The White Dragon posted:

It's fun, but after you play one or two games, you see the crazy flaws in it that make it very difficult to play another game of it until the problems get patched.

What are those flaws?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just tried The Challenge in The Witness for the first time.

What the poo poo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you just record 20-30 minutes of gameplay at a time you can build up a huge repository of videos with pretty minimal effort

i have 900 uploaded already and i started in september

i'd rather that than stream for 12 fuckin hours or w/e

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tenzarin posted:

What are those flaws?

I've posted about them before and the thread goes on at length, but to tl;dr it:

1) The AI can't take cities with walls. Simply can't happen. It has to do with how it evaluates the value of doing damage to a city.

2) The AI can't do diplomacy with you. If you don't immediately meet their unique expectations of you--I mean within three turns of meeting them--they'll get loving furious and become your eternal enemy within five turns.

3) The UI is terrible. It's hard to read, and the passive effects of technologies (such as "Mines permanently produce +1 hammers") are literally not even listed in the tech tree, you have to read the in-game encyclopedia to find out what they do.

4) The "core" part of the game--building districts to produce hammers, science, etc--is very awkwardly implemented. They constantly get more expensive to build and improve, so instead of being a big bonus to a city, it's just a weird treadmill.

5) The AI is compelled to move units. Absolutely compelled. This means that in the later parts of the game, where City States have like a dozen units each, you have to wait for two or three minutes between turns while they needlessly burn their move points because the AI is next to incapable of fortifying/sentrying.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Can you make a living from video uploads these days, though? From what I've seen the people who donate to streamers, especially the ones that go hog wild and drop hundreds of dollars, do it for interaction with the streamer and to get a reaction

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I had some computer problems and then some real life problems that cause me to stop updating my LPs suddenly. But when I get back in a situation to do them, I have a the rest of my current one in and the entire sequel already recorded. I like editing, but it's time consuming and I am trying to graduate.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also aesthetically Civ VI is far inferior to its predecessor. Its UI is clunkier, less readable, and less appealing, the quotes and wonder animations are dumb, and personally I think the music is also worse than V's. I mean, I do hope it gets better eventually after an expansion or two.

I enjoyed VI as a mechanical change of pace and some variety from V, but that was after putting hundreds of hours into V, which I would recommend doing first

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

the quotes and wonder animations are dumb

Sadly, the quotes will not be getting better. But maybe they're just trying to tacitly encourage people to make them more true to their roots where they only quote dead people and get someone to kill that guy who said the thing about about Uluru and wi-fi

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't know if that's a copy paste or not but i actually did quite like civ 5

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Sometimes I stream for fun but not for money

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Sadly, the quotes will not be getting better. But maybe they're just trying to tacitly encourage people to make them more true to their roots where they only quote dead people and get someone to kill that guy who said the thing about about Uluru and wi-fi

Oh right, there are so many that are just, like, taken from people's blogs. I swear there was at least one I backtraced and it was taken from a Yelp review or something

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Can you make a living from video uploads these days, though? From what I've seen the people who donate to streamers, especially the ones that go hog wild and drop hundreds of dollars, do it for interaction with the streamer and to get a reaction

God, no. Money made from ad revenue etc is loving awful. You absolutely need an outside source of income like donations etc to make a living doing streaming or youtube videos unless you are one of the absolute most popular.

edit: My source for this btw is myself. I made 100 dollars a year from youtube ad revenue with ads turned up to the max on all of my videos, whereas I currently make about 150 dollars a month from my Patreon which is totally donator-based. So I turned ads off on my youtube videos because it's not even worth it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 25, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

Sometimes I stream for fun but not for money

Im making fat stacks off of it personally. Basically 5 figures.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

Im making fat stacks off of it personally. Basically 5 figures.

in training was found dead last night. he mario'd too long

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mario isn't worth your life!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I forgot how hard and overcharted some of the songs at the end of Guitar Hero 2 and 3 are. Jesus christ gently caress Psychobilly Freakout so hard.

edit: gently caress Institutionalized also, unlike Psychobilly Freakout I like that song but holy crap they had a field day with these trills

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 25, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CJacobs posted:

I forgot how hard and overcharted some of the songs at the end of Guitar Hero 2 and 3 are. Jesus christ gently caress Psychobilly Freakout so hard.

edit: gently caress Institutionalized also, unlike Psychobilly Freakout I like that song but holy crap they had a field day with these trills

pull off and hammer ons were hosed up in guitar hero 1 but better from then on at least from what i remember at least they fixed that

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I really like watching the EU4 dev streams. Multiplayer games with lots of people who know what they're doing are awesome especially since they play in such a different way from normal single player EU4.

Linnaeus fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 25, 2017

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

gdi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cowcaster posted:

pull off and hammer ons were hosed up in guitar hero 1 but better from then on at least from what i remember at least they fixed that

Yeah, the timing in GH2 is a lot more generous than the other games. I think there's a loading screen tip poking fun at how HOPO's were busted in GH1 too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBBpRKVcxCI

gently caress this song also. Again, like the song, hate what they did to it. It actually wouldn't be so bad if there weren't those goddamn HOPO's in the middle of the strumming because you might accidentally hit them AS hopo's and the game will then interpret the strumming wrong and you'll lose your combo.

edit: The only songs in the last couple tiers of GH2 that aren't overcharted as hell are Madhouse, YYZ, Beast and the Harlot, Hangar 18, and Free Bird. Everything else (The Trooper, Rock This Town, Laid to Rest, Psychobilly Freakout, Carry Me Home, Institutionalized, and Misirlou) is hard for the sake of being hard.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 25, 2017

• Locked thread