Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

psychobilly freakout is good.........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Like hell it is. The notes in that song may as well form a middle finger that comes directly at you.

edit: Also, I am of the opinion that guitar hero is more fun on hard despite being good at it on expert because of songs like that. God drat that psychobilly and his freakout.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 25, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm just remembering this goon who talked about how lame his coworkers were for not wanting to play guitar hero on expert when they played during lunch break.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Free Bird continues to be the best song in the game, and also I forgot how awesome the end of the game is. I just got the Grim Reaper abducted by aliens at Stonehenge and they flew off with him leaving a message saying "Live and Let Rock" among the stars, all set to fireworks, after getting 5 stars on Free Bird. Video games were a good idea.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I broke down and got rock band 4 a month or so ago and have been having fun with it after not having played one of those games in years.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Free Bird continues to be the best song in the game, and also I forgot how awesome the end of the game is. I just got the Grim Reaper abducted by aliens at Stonehenge and they flew off with him leaving a message saying "Live and Let Rock" among the stars, all set to fireworks, after getting 5 stars on Free Bird. Video games were a good idea.

Fixed.

Just kidding.

I'm so mad that Tony Head did a bit of a Freedbird cover in one episode of Buffy and it was amazing, and then like 10 fuckin years later he finally did a full cover on one of his albums and it was not even close to as good as the bit on the show.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's been a long time since i played gh2 but my favorite song was probably crazy on you

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I missed getting the 5 star rating by 3800 points and I am upset because it would have taken like literally 10 more notes to get there. gently caress this goddamn song why didn't they just cover Dick Dale's version instead of making their own weird version

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bark At The Moon was a pretty great end to GH1 too but yeah Freebird owns.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CJacobs posted:

I missed getting the 5 star rating by 3800 points and I am upset because it would have taken like literally 10 more notes to get there. gently caress this goddamn song why didn't they just cover Dick Dale's version instead of making their own weird version

It's been around long before the Dick Dale version and there's a bunch of different ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misirlou?wprov=sfsi1

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I used to think guitar hero/rock band expert was hard until I tried playing Miku games on expert. Good god! It feels like they didn't even bother balancing for home hardware with all the crazy rear end triple tapping and crap

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sakurazuka posted:

It's been around long before the Dick Dale version and there's a bunch of different ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misirlou?wprov=sfsi1

The GH2 version says "as made famous by Dick Dale", his is the version they mangled

Only 700 god drat points away this time. I will get five stars on this fukken song.

edit:

A WINNER IS YOU

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 25, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

I used to think guitar hero/rock band expert was hard until I tried playing Miku games on expert. Good god! It feels like they didn't even bother balancing for home hardware with all the crazy rear end triple tapping and crap

GH games are mechanically hard for me because of the non-standard controller but yeah they're nothing compared to the amount of poo poo most Japanese rhythm games throw at you on the harder stages.

CJacobs posted:

The GH2 version says "as made famous by Dick Dale", his is the version they mangled

That's what all the songs they couldn't get the rights to the original version and had to do their own say.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 25, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sakurazuka posted:

That's what all the songs they couldn't get the rights to the original version and had to do their own say.

No I know, but their version is a cover of the Dick Dale version, it's just faster and shittier.

Time to play Psychobilly Freakout until I get 5* on it, somewhere oddium is laughing at me :suicide:

edit: lol first try, look at that smug reaper and his iron jaw

vvv don't worry about it :respek:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 25, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah yeah, sorry it's early

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Can you make a living from video uploads these days, though? From what I've seen the people who donate to streamers, especially the ones that go hog wild and drop hundreds of dollars, do it for interaction with the streamer and to get a reaction
You could theoretically make a poverty living

It used to be that the ad rate on Youtube was 1000 views to a dollar but that ain't what it is now. still, if you can get to a point where each video of yours is getting 5-6 figure views, then maybe

right now my channel runs 5 videos a day, so 150 videos a month but i do it for fun and to help clear my backlog so i only get a few views per video. if i was Serious Gaming Professional Career Person.... each video would have to hit at least 25k views for it to really accumulate anything, i feel like

oh yeah there's also the whole ContentID thing if you aren't on an MCN, you have to be sure that the developer is okay with you running ads, because some aren't (like Telltale for example). you have to be on Nintendo's program to do Nintendo games sooo I don't do Nintendo games lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Success! 5 stars on every song on Expert. :toot:

Time to move onto Guitar Hero 3 but maybe after a nice long break because my wrist is on fire

edit

Quest For Glory II posted:

You could theoretically make a poverty living

It used to be that the ad rate on Youtube was 1000 views to a dollar but that ain't what it is now. still, if you can get to a point where each video of yours is getting 5-6 figure views, then maybe

right now my channel runs 5 videos a day, so 150 videos a month but i do it for fun and to help clear my backlog so i only get a few views per video. if i was Serious Gaming Professional Career Person.... each video would have to hit at least 25k views for it to really accumulate anything, i feel like

oh yeah there's also the whole ContentID thing if you aren't on an MCN, you have to be sure that the developer is okay with you running ads, because some aren't (like Telltale for example). you have to be on Nintendo's program to do Nintendo games sooo I don't do Nintendo games lol

With Youtube's default ad structure it's 40,000 views = $100, give or take some based on how long your videos are (because the length of the video changes how many ads can run on it, up to 3). Having a network attached to your channel will bump up the money you make and the views required down, but they take a percent of your earnings that imo is never ever worth it. What's more important though is that people actually watch the ads instead of skipping them or blocking them because that gets you far less money, and the vast overwhelming majority of people who watch gaming videos are absolutely savvy enough to be using an ad blocker.

edit: Generally speaking, using Youtube's ads and Google's payment structure as a way to make money is impossible unless you make that 40,000 views on every video. But even then, the amount you earn per ad will actually go down the more popular you are because lol corporate greed, so you will need more views to make the same amount of money as somebody less popular.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 25, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CJacobs posted:

With Youtube's default ad structure it's 40,000 views = $100, give or take some based on how long your videos are (because the length of the video changes how many ads can run on it, up to 3). Having a network attached to your channel will bump up the money you make and the views required down, but they take a percent of your earnings that imo is never ever worth it. What's more important though is that people actually watch the ads instead of skipping them or blocking them because that gets you far less money, and the vast overwhelming majority of people who watch gaming videos are absolutely savvy enough to be using an ad blocker.

edit: Generally speaking, using Youtube's ads and Google's payment structure as a way to make money is impossible unless you make that 40,000 views on every video. But even then, the amount you earn per ad will actually go down because lol corporate greed, so you will need more views to make the same amount of money as somebody less popular.
The thing is, based on the size of your channel you may be getting Coca Cola ads or you may just be getting ads for other people's Youtube channels, so even there, the ad rates can vary

Being part of an MCN i think can give you hook ups to sponsors but it's just not worth it. MCNs exist solely to buy into volume, they will not help you, and you may get stuck in an awful contract

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Moral of the story: Be like me, go to patreon lol

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Success! 5 stars on every song on Expert. :toot:

Time to move onto Guitar Hero 3 but maybe after a nice long break because my wrist is on fire

You should put that mindset away for GH3, Through the Fire and Flames will break anyone but the most committed.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Is there a spiritual sequel to Die by the Sword?
I feel like I've seen at least one or two and not the one mentioned, but it's gonna take a serious digging session to refresh my memory on what game it was that tried to do real sword arm physics.

It's really hard to make such a thing control well, but with VR taking off somewhat it's a good time for someone to give it another shot.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Neil Stephenson was working on a realistic sword fighting simulator with vr support called "Clang!" for awhile, but it died. Probably because there's no way to give impact feedback, so you can't actually do realism at all and the whole thing kind of falls apart. "Totally realistic sword fighting except for the fact that you can't actually hit swords" kind of has no appeal what-so-ever.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I remember reading an interview with the producer of Bulletstorm and she mentioned that she had to ask the designers not to give the Trishka character giant bouncing titties. The designers were apparently dumbfounded by the suggestion (and that was just their default impression of what "kickass video game chick" was) and they had to have a long meeting to address the breast size issue.

So that post that was saying that seeing overly sexualized women in video games reminds them of the gender gap in the industry and makes the connection that representation is a symptom of larger industry concerns is 100% correct

I remember this. The guy she had arguments with was Adrian Chmielraz (guy who was behind Painkiller, is now co-founder of The Astronauts) and he's a GamerGater who would occasionally get into Twitter shitstorms back in the day.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grapplejack posted:

You should put that mindset away for GH3, Through the Fire and Flames will break anyone but the most committed.

:getin: My determination knows no bounds

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i guess dad by the sword ended up being vaporware which is a shame

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

:getin: My determination knows no bounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHRfbiwdheg&t=28s

You're a madman!!!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I got a board game today called magic the gathering arena of the planeswalkers. I've never played any magic the gathering stuff before and never had any interest in it but I was recommended this board game and when I looked into it a little bit, I found out it is just heroscape which looked like a cool board game back when it came out but I never got to try it out. Regardless, this game looks fun and for 15 bucks on clearance at toys r us, it seemed like a steal.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I definitely am not going to 100% it, but you only need... uh... 566,000 points to 5 star it. That's totally doable, definitely, for sure :sweatdrop:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

StrixNebulosa posted:

Mario isn't worth your life!

Mario Is really good

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Sweet Child of Mine and Carry On My Wayward Son are tied for best guitar hero song by merit of looking and feeling somewhat challenging to play but actually being really easy.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is there a game recommendations thread? I could swear there was a game recommendations thread.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You could... ask here?

:unsmigghh:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sure! What are some good visual novels for iPad? I'm gonna be travelling soon

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

80 Days

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's more of an old school sound novel (mostly just text and sound effects/music) but Banshee's Last Cry is pretty good.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

VideoGames, when the new Switch thread shows up, don't put a link to it in the old one.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

In Training posted:

If only they'd let you rebind controls it would work just fine on an 8 button arcade stick using the stick for those slide notes or something.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jay Rust posted:

Sure! What are some good visual novels for iPad? I'm gonna be travelling soon
Telltale games starting with Walking Dead.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Palpek posted:

Telltale games starting with Walking Dead.

Play the Walking Dead season 1 and Tales From Borderlands then NO MORE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jay Rust posted:

Is there a game recommendations thread? I could swear there was a game recommendations thread.

There is!

• Locked thread