Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

Top 5 is probably pushing it. Wade Davis was a great get, and Strop is probably one of the best setup men in baseball, but Rondon regressed badly last year (admittedly, no one knows how long he was really hurt) and the rest of the bullpen behind them is a bunch of question marks -- Edwards badly needs to get his changeup worked out, Grimm is a classic Jekyll and Hyde type guy and ... who the hell else do they have? Uehara's rapidly aging carcass?

Scenario 1: Davis remains healthy for the full season which gives the Cubs one of the most elite closers in the game. Strop and Rondon bounce back from their injuries and are an elite pair of setup men to put in front of Davis. Meanwhile Edwards continues to develop and be a high impact arm, Uehara posts yet another super low WHIP, and Anderson actually stays healthy for once which means Montgomery spends the bulk of the season in the pen. In this case the Cubs arguably have one of the best bullpens in baseball.

Scenario 2: Davis' elbow issues resurface and he needs to be shut down. Strop and/or Rondon continue to struggle and can't find their footing. Edwards BB/9 issues that plagued him so much in the minors finally resurface and he takes a step backwards. Uehara's extreme flyball tendencies get him beat up in the very hitter friendly confines of Wrigley. Anderson dies like he always does and Montgomery has to take the bulk of fifth starter duties, leaving the lefty bullpen work to Duensing. In this case the Cubs arguably have one of the worst bullpens in baseball.

Obviously these are extremes, but the point is that the Cubs bullpen is built on a lot of risk and while there's a very high ceiling, there's also a very, very low floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Goodpancakes posted:

I'm on the season ticket holder waiting list for the cubs. I don't even live in Chicago. However, I would totally live there and in 20 years when that comes to pass I'll get a email about the pass being available

I'm like #61,000. I figure I'll get the email when I'm too old to care, or have forgotten what email is.

edit: actually, I'm around 67,700 after just checking it. Somehow I moved BACK six thousand spots. Maybe I can will it to my grandchildren if I have any.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 24, 2017

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

I'd forgotten about this and was expecting "Even Hitler had a Girlfriend"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

Scenario 1: Davis remains healthy for the full season which gives the Cubs one of the most elite closers in the game. Strop and Rondon bounce back from their injuries and are an elite pair of setup men to put in front of Davis. Meanwhile Edwards continues to develop and be a high impact arm, Uehara posts yet another super low WHIP, and Anderson actually stays healthy for once which means Montgomery spends the bulk of the season in the pen. In this case the Cubs arguably have one of the best bullpens in baseball.

Scenario 2: Davis' elbow issues resurface and he needs to be shut down. Strop and/or Rondon continue to struggle and can't find their footing. Edwards BB/9 issues that plagued him so much in the minors finally resurface and he takes a step backwards. Uehara's extreme flyball tendencies get him beat up in the very hitter friendly confines of Wrigley. Anderson dies like he always does and Montgomery has to take the bulk of fifth starter duties, leaving the lefty bullpen work to Duensing. In this case the Cubs arguably have one of the worst bullpens in baseball.

Obviously these are extremes, but the point is that the Cubs bullpen is built on a lot of risk and while there's a very high ceiling, there's also a very, very low floor.

I don't disagree, but I figured I'd try this "optimism" thing I've heard so much about.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Popete posted:

Players who have greasy hair and scraggly beards are great, they embrace the fact they've made it in life. They are being paid millions of dollars to play baseball and don't have to give a poo poo about how they look and I think it's fantastic. Colby Rasmus should be looked up to in this regard, more mullets well we're at it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Timby posted:

They have more than a hundred thousand people on their season ticket waiting list.

That's after raising ticket prices by like 19 percent a few months ago.

Ticket prices went up 19.5% this year, but regular season tickets on the secondary market in 2016 went for an average of 96% above face value on StubHub and postseason tickets averaged 670% above face value, so Cubs fans' willingness to shell out the dough for games shouldn't be surprising.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

How many season seats do the Cubs sell? Presumably it isn't the full 42,000 or whatever capacity is. I know the Dodgers cap at something like 32k of the 56k total.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

How many season seats do the Cubs sell? Presumably it isn't the full 42,000 or whatever capacity is. I know the Dodgers cap at something like 32k of the 56k total.

I don't think any team ever releases the exact number of seats that are owned by season ticket holders.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I've gone to the home opener 3 of the last 4 years, I'm not gonna make it this year.

Looking at ticket prices, looks like I'll be watching a lot baseball on MLB.tv this year!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Popete posted:

I've gone to the home opener 3 of the last 4 years, I'm not gonna make it this year.

Looking at ticket prices, looks like I'll be watching a lot baseball on MLB.tv this year!

I'm going to the Mariners' home opener for the first time this year!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

I really hope the one home opener you missed wasn't the only good home opener in the last 4 years (2016).

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

One day
he will play
for the Tampa
Bay Rays

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I really hope the one home opener you missed wasn't the only good home opener in the last 4 years (2016).

I was there for that, it was an awesome game! Opening day is a ton of fun but it's also a total crapshoot if it's gonna be nice and 50 degrees or sleeting and 32.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

Were you at the pisscups game?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pancakes posted:

That's the one I missed :(

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

https://twitter.com/CarrieMuskat/status/835204783422111744

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

I was! But the troughs at Wrigley are my own personal hell, so I always make sure to go to games with an empty bladder.

I've been to the last 3 home openers with Poque and will also go to this year's home opener. The worst one was in 2014 when it was 38 degrees out, we both had the flu, and the Cubs lost 7-2 to the Phillies.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
N:

https://twitter.com/extrabaggs/status/835265334487699456

V: lol

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
...but it's an odd-year?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

This was the first thing that went through my mind when it happened

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bawfuls posted:

They're very quiet about that because they scalp their own tickets via Wrigley Field Premium Ticket Services.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

That's legit funny. :lol:

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I got to watch the Angels' hopes of a winning season end on the second game of the season last year. I don't have plans to go to the opening series just yet but will probably start thinking about it once it gets closer to the season. Home opener being so much more expensive sucks.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Good Dog posted:

I got to watch the Angels' hopes of a winning season end on the second game of the season last year. I don't have plans to go to the opening series just yet but will probably start thinking about it once it gets closer to the season. Home opener being so much more expensive sucks.

Oh thanks for reminding me.

The Angels open at home against the Mariners, which means the Mariners are winning the World Series this year.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Whyyyyyyy do pro athletes so often go to such mediocre tattoo artists??

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
If you asked 10 people who'd never seen the World Series trophy to recreate it from that tattoo you'd get 10 different attempts and none of them would even be close.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
That's going to be kind of an awkward tat if Baez ever plays for another team.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

i love you javy but i'm sorry that trophy looks like the maw of some tubeworm that lives in the ocean near thermal vents

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Your Taint posted:

Reminds me of Brandon league getting his name and number tattood on his back . I think after he got traded he had to wear a different number but I might just be inventing that for humors sake

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Your Taint posted:

Changing teams won't undo the title (only Gleyber Torres becoming a superstar does)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Really not feeling blond Baez, especially since the Mets made rally bleaching a thing.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Awww gently caress. My family was going to go to a game this year. :(

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Popete posted:

I looked at Rays home opener tickets and they were $50 for upper deck seats that used to be $10 when I started going to games! Then I noticed it was against the Yankees. I looked at a game against the Tigers a couple weeks later: $19 for the upper deck. All is well with the universe.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Knowing my father in law I'll probably be getting tickets to one of the mid-July Braves home games when the Cubs come to Atlanta as an early birthday present since that'll be the only reasonable chance I'll get to see the Cubs play in person this year.

Last year he got my wife and I tickets for the game where they got absolutely stymied by Bud Norris. We left the second Clayton Richard came out of the pen (and we were right to do so!)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

We left the second Clayton Richard came out of the pen (and we were right to do so!)

Currently listed as the Padres #1 starter on their depth chart! :lol:

My roommate and I have decided we're going to a Padres game sometime this year when he starts and I am going to wear my Cubs hat and heckle the poo poo out of him. And by heckle I mean I'm going to hold up a sign that says "I'm sorry that Maddon broke you."

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Your Taint posted:

Or if he loses muscle mass and his arm goes to half that size.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Really not feeling blond Baez, especially since the Mets made rally bleaching a thing.

It took a while to get used to blond Carlos Martinez last year, but now I kinda miss it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tom Gorman posted:

i love you javy but i'm sorry that trophy looks like the maw of some tubeworm that lives in the ocean near thermal vents

I'll live with it if he ever learns to stop swinging at pitches in loving Naperville.

Edit: I just don't get Cubs fans' fascination with him. Sure, he's goofy, but he also, you know, kinda sucks at baseball.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Timby posted:

I'll live with it if he ever learns to stop swinging at pitches in loving Naperville.

Edit: I just don't get Cubs fans' fascination with him. Sure, he's goofy, but he also, you know, kinda sucks at baseball.

He was pure magic on defense and baserunning last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Timby posted:

His defense is excellent

• Locked thread