Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
It's not a good sign when I truly want everyone to die based off of the prologue.

and I'm a Prometheus apologist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Prometheus already brought in the weed humor, and the franchise is already a hilarious dick joke, so Franco and McBride are inspired casting choices.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

I think part of it is just Ridley Scott's production company (what was his and his brother's :( ) and his connections make something like that more feasible to schedule and actually make that happen for anything its even loosely involved in. Like there's this infamously bad video game, Driv3r, it's awful, total trash, EXCEPT Tony Scott directed like a ten minute short film about it in the same style as Domino to introduce people to the game's world. Like I think Scott just has the $$$ and passionate people to work with that it's not a huge deal, otherwise you'd think every movie not set in the present day would have some kind of thing like this as part of its marketing to drop on YouTube.

But I think part of it is also a smart way to focus one's marketing. Like we get this cool compacted shot of what our characters are like instead of, say, a super poorly done prequel comic book mini-series or whatever.

RSA seems to do a lot of just straight "fun" projects. Like, most years they do short film anthologies with a bunch of their directors that have some really sizable budgets with lots of vfx work and nice sets and poo poo. It helps with publicity for the group to a degree, I'm sure. But it also just lets them experiment. A couple of Neil Blomkamp's early shorts that later went viral when he did Alive in Joburg were part of that mentality as well.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

General Battuta posted:

I just love the blue-collar space trucking stuff. I could watch people mumble and flip switches on a Ridley Scott spaceship all day.

It's not Ridley Scott but they added The Expanse to Amazon Prime and oh my GOOOOOOOD this show is awesome if you like both future noir and blue collar space truckers shooting the poo poo about crappy corporate mining jobs.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Its also probably nice to be able to shoot an extended scene like that without having to worry about where to drop it in the movie where it won't gently caress up the overall pacing.

chances are there'll be plenty of scenes in the film to do that on its own!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Neo Rasa posted:

It's not Ridley Scott but they added The Expanse to Amazon Prime and oh my GOOOOOOOD this show is awesome if you like both future noir and blue collar space truckers shooting the poo poo about crappy corporate mining jobs.

So much this.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neo Rasa posted:

I like that we now have a solid chronology of food in the setting being not that bad early on and then progressively getting worse to the point of Alien Resurrection where even the coffee is said to be terrible.
It's not hard to imagine space-coffee being terrible. Unless the aeroponics bay has a coffee tree, there's a limit to how long the cryofreeze can protect those sweet oils.

Though it's probably like the company gives you a limited set of Good Food, that you burn through and then have to settle for GruelCo Meal-and-Protein Suppliment #46 for the remainder of the trip.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I dunno, man. MRE tech just keeps getting better. Maybe they'd benefit from screening for foodies before choosing their crew.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

alf_pogs posted:

chances are there'll be plenty of scenes in the film to do that on its own!

Edit: edited because your joke flew right over my head.I blame my undying love of Prometheus

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

It's not hard to imagine space-coffee being terrible. Unless the aeroponics bay has a coffee tree, there's a limit to how long the cryofreeze can protect those sweet oils.

Though it's probably like the company gives you a limited set of Good Food, that you burn through and then have to settle for GruelCo Meal-and-Protein Suppliment #46 for the remainder of the trip.

Ironically, the Auriga in Alien Resurrection canonically has a full hydroponics garden and farm on it with a ton of fresh beans/plants/etc. but they didn't have the budget/time to actually film the scene they wanted to in it. It would have been a running retreat from a bunch of the remaining aliens through the garden that would have happened between the underwater scene and right before Ripley got captured.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Neo Rasa posted:

Ironically, the Auriga in Alien Resurrection canonically has a full hydroponics garden and farm on it with a ton of fresh beans/plants/etc. but they didn't have the budget/time to actually film the scene they wanted to in it. It would have been a running retreat from a bunch of the remaining aliens through the garden that would have happened between the underwater scene and right before Ripley got captured.
Eh, The Black Hole did it first.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why would they even need that. It took them like 2 hours to go from wherever the hell they were in "unrestricted space" past Jupiter to Earth. Just resupply whenever you want. Plus theres omly like 20 people on that huge rear end ship.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Earth? What a poo poo hole.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why would they even need that. It took them like 2 hours to go from wherever the hell they were in "unrestricted space" past Jupiter to Earth. Just resupply whenever you want. Plus theres omly like 20 people on that huge rear end ship.

In resurrection? Aren't they on a fully packed military vessel?

I remember all the soldier dudes getting in escape pods so we could get that sick shot of the guy rolling a grenade into one of the pods with a xeno

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Payndz posted:

Eh, The Black Hole did it first.

Is the Black Hole a good movie? I saw it when I was still a young goon and remember it being scary but when I looked up screenshots it looks kinda goofy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's goofy and not great but looks awesome.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MacheteZombie posted:

I remember all the soldier dudes getting in escape pods so we could get that sick shot of the guy rolling a grenade into one of the pods with a xeno
They are. In fact the Auriga is the largest (and fastest) ship we've seen on-screen to date.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

UmOk posted:

Is the Black Hole a good movie? I saw it when I was still a young goon and remember it being scary but when I looked up screenshots it looks kinda goofy.

It's... okay, but it has amazing design and miniatures. I love that ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCw67CtIOYM

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If Black Hole was a movie for adults it could have been a creepy scifi horror classic. Making it a sort of randomly goofy kids movie though.. ehhhhh
I remember I loved it as a kid because it felt dark and creepy and more "serious" than other kid-targeted science fiction poo poo

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Edit: edited because your joke flew right over my head.I blame my undying love of Prometheus

i also love prometheus. just a great monster flick

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Shneak posted:

It's not a good sign when I truly want everyone to die based off of the prologue.

and I'm a Prometheus apologist.

Why would you want them to die? They come off as normal, natural people?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
They come off like self-eugeniciding techies.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Oh yeah, the prologue also solidifies that colonists knew of (other) alien life (bugs) so we can finally stop that whole derail from here to eternity, hopefully :)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Neo Rasa posted:

I couldn't take The Expanse seriously once I realized that every time Thomas Jane gets beat up in the show he metamorphosizes into an aging my chemical romance roadie

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The Black Hole had a FANTASTIC score, too.And Maximillian the robot was awesome.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
HELL YEAH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJaypC51Dds

i defy you to be a child and not get loving amped up by this

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Darko posted:

Why would you want them to die? They come off as normal, natural people?

They certainly don't come across as full on retards, which is the impression I quickly got from Prometheus. (I get it, they were, because it was intentionally a farce).

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Darko posted:

Oh yeah, the prologue also solidifies that colonists knew of (other) alien life (bugs) so we can finally stop that whole derail from here to eternity, hopefully :)

I bet you believe rats as big as cats are aliens too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I couldn't take The Expanse seriously once I realized that every time Thomas Jane gets beat up in the show he metamorphosizes into an aging my chemical romance roadie

He says he wears the hat to keep his head dry when it rains but even before the first episode's over you know it's to cover that haircut.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

wyoming posted:

I bet you believe rats as big as cats are aliens too.

I also believe Private Frost in Aliens hosed a Arcturian poo-tang, I have no idea what a Arcturian is.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I always got the impression they were just, like, humans living in a colony on Arcturus. IIRC there is some semi-official source that say they are straight up sentient humanoid aliens or whatever.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Arcturus is a sun, the poontang is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CJzce-hU5s

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

I think the start of the movie says theres 26ish people. 20 military 6 scientists. Hardly enough to need to grow your own food on a ship that big if its that fast with that big of a dock for resupply ships.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

SirDrone posted:

I also believe Private Frost in Aliens hosed a Arcturian poo-tang, I have no idea what a Arcturian is.

This has come up several times and I never know if you guys are joking or seriously have never heard the term poontang before.

He hosed a girl in the Arcturian system.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Bugblatter posted:

This has come up several times and I never know if you guys are joking or seriously have never heard the term poontang before.

Well one of them says "the one you had was a male" and Frost replies that it doesn't matter when it's Arcturian, which is why people think that they're some kind of aliens.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

BUT IS IT CANON????

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Queering Wheel posted:

Well one of them says "the one you had was a male" and Frost replies that it doesn't matter when it's Arcturian, which is why people think that they're some kind of aliens.

maybe they're like thai lady-boys

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

HannibalBarca posted:

maybe they're like thai lady-boys

Well yeah, that's the cultural reference it's making, since the whole movie is a Space-Vietnam allegory.

But the official "canon" explanation right now is that Arcturians are extraterrestrials.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

HELL YEAH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJaypC51Dds

i defy you to be a child and not get loving amped up by this

I'm an adult and this is rad as gently caress.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Black Hole is a surprisingly dark movie that has a terrible juxtaposition with kiddie sequences in it. The tonal whiplash is real. It has great visuals and a great score with some pure ham acting and... well, it was 1979 and the formula for this kind of movie just wasn't there yet. Points given for the ending though, I know it gave me the creeps as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The acid-trip sequence of them going through and beyond at the end, with the vision of Reinhard in hell, trapped inside the metal shell of his demonic robot creation, was quite disturbing to me as a kid.

Not to mention Anthony Perkins getting cuisinarted by Max earlier