Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

slap me and kiss me posted:

An angry three-page screen accusing people who don't enjoy the adventure of being hitlers who are killing "Real Gaming."

Cthulhutech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Myfarog the Asatru white supremacist RPG finally got scanned :worship:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

A few insta-kill traps that the player will have no prior anticipation of, random bullshit that exists to destroy player's equipment/levels/wealth and other hard-earned stuff, and a female character that exists solely to seduce and then trick a player character into a terrible trap.
That's all in The Unity.

slap me and kiss me posted:

An angry three-page screen accusing people who don't enjoy the adventure of being hitlers who are killing "Real Gaming."
This isn't in The Unity, but it does include something that's in that wheelhouse.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
I quite enjoyed reading that F&F review. It was ... something very special.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Plutonis posted:

Myfarog the Asatru white supremacist RPG finally got scanned :worship:

Well color me surprised he didn't make the mistake the creators of RaHoWa did and have races he hated end up mechanically superior to white men.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Hi, I spent like 3 months putting this thing together and here seems like the best place to post it.

SO YOU WANT TO PLAY DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS, EH?

It might not be what you're looking for. Here's a big list of alternatives, to share with your friends.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

EverettLO posted:

Well color me surprised he didn't make the mistake the creators of RaHoWa did and have races he hated end up mechanically superior to white men.

Varg made an Egyptian not evil race but they are still supposed to be NPC only and lack sun vitamin power.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Ratpick posted:

I want to write the ultimate bad adventure with all the elements of a bad pre-made adventure just to see if all the bad elements together would make it sort of so bad it's actually kinda good.

Highlights would include:
  • Extremely powerful NPCs who are actually the focus of the adventure so the players are there mostly as spectators and bit-part-players.
  • Heavily railroaded.
  • Metaplot.
  • Set in a setting with way too much history and background with the unwritten assumption that the players are already invested in the setting for any of the events to make sense.
  • Badly balanced and playtested.

What am I missing?

At least one chunk that is mostly about collecting keys or key-equivalent MacGuffins, so as to unlock other areas that have more keys/key-equivalent MacGuffins, and repeat until the PCs have finally earned the chance to advance the plot. Bonus if said chunk of adventure is impossible to complete without GM fudgery, because the author forgot a key or locked keys behind each other's doors, and the shoddy editing and playtesting didn't catch it.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Ratpick posted:

I want to write the ultimate bad adventure with all the elements of a bad pre-made adventure just to see if all the bad elements together would make it sort of so bad it's actually kinda good.

What am I missing?
Tests of the players knowledge rather than the characters. Bonus points for it being real world knowledge such as "ACTUALLY those chemicals react violently".

Irresistible forces such as the entire party being arbitrarily captured without any rolls.

Immovable objects such as magic doesn't work or enemy is immune to magic, unbreakable walls, etc.

Handouts, but the players and GMs versions are different enough to cause arguments (the GM needs to be in on this joke).

For badly balanced, boss fights but they are actually a ton of setup for a pushover, ideally because of an obvious flaw. A real example I encountered was a 3e lvl 20 charging fighter who was riding a bog-standard heavy horse from the PHB. So we killed his horse and kited him to death.

Rooms carefully described in terms terms of 5' increments.

Written with an axe to grind. Conflict is an obvious allegory for a real world conflict, enemies espouse straw man versions of real world beliefs the author doesn't like, NPCs are stand-ins for real world people like Trump.

Racist. Group of NPCs embodying a racist belief, such as a group of wealthy people with big noses who wear simple clothes and use the blood another God's worshippers to bake bread, all enemies are swarthy, etc

Increasingly blatant hints of the writers unusual sexual proclivities. For example, an adventure where people are forced to roll or vomit because of poison, environmental hazards, and magic spells, enemies vomit as an attack, etc.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

gnome7 posted:

Hi, I spent like 3 months putting this thing together and here seems like the best place to post it.

It might not be what you're looking for. Here's a big list of alternatives, to share with your friends.

Is it just me or is something missing on that link?

Edit: Ok, I see, the lower title choices are the links. Dastardly planned!

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Gobbeldygook posted:

Increasingly blatant hints of the writers unusual sexual proclivities. For example, an adventure where people are forced to roll or vomit because of poison, environmental hazards, and magic spells, enemies vomit as an attack, etc.

That reminds me of a certain Whizzard.

Mr.Misfit posted:

It's super not clear that the titles are links.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mr.Misfit posted:

That took me a minute too.

All Outta Bubblegum sounds like something I should look up sometime.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Countblanc posted:

That took me a minute too.

All Outta Bubblegum sounds like something I should look up sometime.

It's a very good system for drinking games: Just swap bubblegum for shots.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Gobbeldygook posted:

NPCs are stand-ins for real world people like Trump.
I REGRET AND APOLOGIZE FOR NOTHING.

NOTHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
You also need the adventure to be be designed according to assumptions about how the game was going to be played that were only true under earlier editions of the rules, such as "this will be done as a competitive timed event with punitively unfair mechanics that teams will try to get through as quickly as possible."

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's all in The Unity.

What's The Unity? A cursory google search proves... unhelpful.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Falstaff posted:

It's one of the transition points in a long line of multi-game line metaplot prefab adventures starting with the Deadlands setting. Specifically, the post apocalyptic game that comes after it. It acts as the lead in to the third game line which is more post apocalyptic magicowboys but on an alien planet. The adventure ends with you being forced to kill a PC, or else the world is doomed and also you're stuck on a spaceship full of demons for all time. The adventure gloats about how this is what being a real good RPG is all about

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gnome7 posted:

This is not something I ever expected to say, but Costume Fairy Adventures looks amazing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's one of the transition points in a long line of multi-game line metaplot prefab adventures starting with the Deadlands setting. Specifically, the post apocalyptic game that comes after it. It acts as the lead in to the third game line which is more post apocalyptic magicowboys but on an alien planet. The adventure ends with you being forced to kill a PC, or else the world is doomed and also you're stuck on a spaceship full of demons for all time. The adventure gloats about how this is what being a real good RPG is all about

To add insult to injury Lost Planet, the third gameline, was a wet fart on arrival and went nowhere.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Falstaff posted:

Read my post before that post. I link to my review one of the worst two metaplot adventures ever written.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

gnome7 posted:

This god drat owns and is great but fyi like 6 paragraphs in it says "D&" instead of "D&D".

I have some games to try out. I got a group of newbies that are super excited and they want to try other systems so this is super helpful.

PS since I'm already being That Guy and correcting you, Friends at the Table never did D&D. Dungeon World, Mech/Technoir, Microscope, Stars Without Number, Kingdom and some homebrew stuff plus another game that I don't think they mention and I'm mad because I want it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Xiahou Dun posted:

This god drat owns and is great but fyi like 6 paragraphs in it says "D&" instead of "D&D".

I have some games to try out. I got a group of newbies that are super excited and they want to try other systems so this is super helpful.

PS since I'm already being That Guy and correcting you, Friends at the Table never did D&D. Dungeon World, Mech/Technoir, Microscope, Stars Without Number, Kingdom and some homebrew stuff plus another game that I don't think they mention and I'm mad because I want it.

Thanks for the heads up, fixed both of those. I thought FatT had a Pathfinder season, my bad! I have replaced the example with Critical Role, who definitely play D&D on their show.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Critical Role is probably a bigger influence on people wanting to play "D&D" anyway.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Blades in the Dark, maybe? They were using early access rules because the book isn't formally out yet

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Read my post before that post. I link to my review one of the worst two metaplot adventures ever written.

Ah, thanks, that was a fun read. I've only ever heard of Deadlands in passing, so all that stuff was new to me.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

gnome7 posted:

You have 13th Age twice under D&D-likes, once in "the same but better" and again under "but more heroic". Darker Dungeons hasn't been available on pdf in ages, but Blacky's new site suggests it might make it to DT soonish: https://gurbintrollgames.wordpress.com/ Also I think first saying "all editions of dee-en-dee are bad no exceptions" and then recommending Literally Basic With Houserules is a bit contradictory. :v:

Edit: Also the "heroics" section is missing Godbound, for shame.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 25, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Evil Mastermind posted:

I just finished reading this writeup, and I think my "favorite" part, besides the obvious Worst Possible Thing To Put In A Module bit, is that the entire first two parts are a huge gently caress-off ur-battle between all the major factions and hordes of undead, and then... nothing meaningful changes in the setting afterwards for anyone involved, besides the part the PCs get railroaded into sort of doing? Like one named NPC dies, one NPC's tiny faction gets dissolved, and that's it? Personally, if I were a player in a module that was supposed to blow up my goddamn setting and had to sit through all that loving boxed text about A Supa-Sweet Final Battle You Can't Do A drat Thing to Interact With, I'd find the total lack of meaningful setting change to be adding insult to injury. I guess they were trying to eat their metaplot cake and still have "it's fine, you can keep playing this game" too?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Siivola posted:

You have 13th Age twice under D&D-likes, once in "the same but better" and again under "but more heroic". Darker Dungeons hasn't been available on pdf in ages, but Blacky's new site suggests it might make it to DT soonish: https://gurbintrollgames.wordpress.com/ Also I think first saying "all editions of dee-en-dee are bad no exceptions" and then recommending Literally Basic With Houserules is a bit contradictory. :v:

Edit: Also the "heroics" section is missing Godbound, for shame.

also you have 13th age as a good game at all also you have no option for good tactical games.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Elfgames posted:

also you have 13th age as a good game at all also you have no option for good tactical games.

No 4E, the Good D&D?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The whole thing is about getting away from "Dee and Effin' Dee".

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Calling all D&D bad is retarded, that only really applies to 3rd and 5th editions, BX/BECMI/RC and 4th edition are both legitimately good

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Calling all D&D bad is retarded, that only really applies to 3rd and 5th editions, BX/BECMI/RC and 4th edition are both legitimately good

Yeah.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Elfgames posted:

13th Age is certainly better than Strike! which is also on the list. Both are in the tactical rulesy section anyway. Godbound should definitely be on there.

@drrockso: Saying "retarded" like that is bad. 2e was also not a great edition at all.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm not saying if it's good or bad, but that just seems to be the central premise.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm not saying if it's good or bad, but that just seems to be the central premise.

Yeah that's totally fair. Gnome as a guy who's spent his game design career working on games to do what he likes about D&D but better, is a good person to put together such a list. He treats his own games pretty evenly there too I think.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

drrockso20 posted:

Please don't be an enabler.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

All D&D are good, except 5th edition that's just bad.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
a sister article or a modified article that breaks down the pros/cons of each D&D edition would be cool, too, for the people who are inevitably going to be all "No! D&D!". It'd also give space to recommend the modern retroclones, imitators, and spinoffs that are more widely available and more sanely-structured than a lot of early D&D stuff

also Ryuutama is nowhere on that list and that is a crime!!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

13th Age is certainly better than Strike! which is also on the list. Both are in the tactical rulesy section anyway. Godbound should definitely be on there.

@drrockso: Saying "retarded" like that is bad. 2e was also not a great edition at all.

until you can actually come up with a complaint about strike! which is anything beyond "it doesn't have a narrative" kindly shut the gently caress up. 13th age has legitimate game design issues.

Edit goddamnit i don't even like stike, I hate generic games too but seriously come up with a substantial gameplay issue or something.

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Terrible Opinions posted:

All D&D are good, except 5th edition that's just bad.

all D&D is bad friend

• Locked thread