Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

To their credit, they have gotten better with explaining things in game - the descriptions of "recently", "low life" etc. on things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Kild posted:

Certain things just have hidden things because they can't dynamically change gems. Like Herald of Thunders invisible added lightning damage. So the quality bonus on that works globally but Tempest Shield's doesn't because it doesn't have that hidden bonus. (GGG said it'd be too confusing or whatever to show the hidden tag on Herald of Thunder)

I also didn't know about this, wtf.

edit: apparently the quality on HoA and HoI do the same thing :psypop:

panda clue fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 25, 2017

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I've never played this game but liked old diablo 2, Is it similar at all and what kind of fun but not too complicated build can I try out as my first playthrough?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Odddzy posted:

I've never played this game but liked old diablo 2, Is it similar at all and what kind of fun but not too complicated build can I try out as my first playthrough?

Literally just try a bunch of poo poo and go with what you think looks the coolest for your first build. It is going to be garbage and that's okay as long as you still have fun. Rerolling and learning from your mistakes is a core part of the game.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

From the 2.2.0 patch notes:

quote:

Any skill with an associated Threshold Jewel is now supportable by Support Gems that could affect the additional properties added by the Threshold Jewel.

Doesn't change how unintuitive it is, but that's why it happens.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

before tonight i had never even heard of hidden tags

panda clue
May 23, 2014

megalodong posted:

From the 2.2.0 patch notes:

Doesn't change how unintuitive it is, but that's why it happens.

lol if this actually makes conc effect work with glacial hammer

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Yeah, still not seeing how that would be the case unless Item Rarity has an AoE component somehow

panda clue
May 23, 2014

whypick1 posted:

Yeah, still not seeing how that would be the case unless Item Rarity has an AoE component somehow

There's a new threshold jewel in 2.6 that makes the cold component of GH have a built in aoe, in addition to converting more (up to 100%) of the physical to cold.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Kild posted:

Certain things just have hidden things because they can't dynamically change gems. Like Herald of Thunders invisible added lightning damage. So the quality bonus on that works globally but Tempest Shield's doesn't because it doesn't have that hidden bonus. (GGG said it'd be too confusing or whatever to show the hidden tag on Herald of Thunder)

So why is the response but then to add to the description of herald of thunder that sorted gems are treated as if they had the lightning tag.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

ButtWolf posted:

Any chance I can get back in guild? SSSisyphean

Sent!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

panda clue posted:

There's a new threshold jewel in 2.6 that makes the cold component of GH have a built in aoe, in addition to converting more (up to 100%) of the physical to cold.

Oh right, forgot about new jewels. Thought he was talking about the current (worthless) one.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Oh right, forgot about new jewels. Thought he was talking about the current (worthless) one.

They're buffing all the old ones this patch, so it might not be worthless now.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

funmanguy posted:

I meant reliquary key.

I forget the wording I heard but I believe Chris implied that they would drop 'anywhere' in one of the Ziggy interviews. So you would assume...

...but you can't really know with something like this until you get a direct answer. But I have been keeping my ears out for an answer.

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 25, 2017

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I swear lunaris temple 2 is hardcoded so the first way I turn always leads me to the big corpse cart.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

At the top of those stairs there's two carts on one side and one cart on the other. Go the one cart direction.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gitro posted:

I swear lunaris temple 2 is hardcoded so the first way I turn always leads me to the big corpse cart.
Turn in the direction of a single cart.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah for anyone who is newer there are tells like that in a lot of the zones so that you can get through them quicker. Corpses at the correct Warehouse doors was a big one for me, since you can spend a lot of time loving around in the total wrong direction without that. Library, Hedge Maze, and Scepter of God are always the same directions from the waypoint.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

whypick1 posted:

At the top of those stairs there's two carts on one side and one cart on the other. Go the one cart direction.

Thank you for this quality of life improvement.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

DemonMage posted:

Library, Hedge Maze, and Scepter of God are always the same directions from the waypoint.

It loving suuuuuuuuucked when Library/Hedge were in random-rear end locations.

For those of you just joining us: after you kill Piety temporarily you'll head to the Imperial Gardens (head NE from Barracks WP). Follow the road to get to the Gardens WP. Left goes to the Library (quest inside for really good support gems), straight goes to Hedge Maze (finishes off Fairgrave quest, not really worth it), right goes to Scepter of God (A4 be that way).

Gitro
May 29, 2013

whypick1 posted:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Turn in the direction of a single cart.

DemonMage posted:

Yeah for anyone who is newer there are tells like that in a lot of the zones so that you can get through them quicker. Corpses at the correct Warehouse doors was a big one for me, since you can spend a lot of time loving around in the total wrong direction without that. Library, Hedge Maze, and Scepter of God are always the same directions from the waypoint.

Thank you all, I don't think I've even noticed the difference in carts there. Just lost that coinflip like 12 times in a row now :shrug: I've never even paid attention to the warehouse corpses.

e: Seriously can you just restart at the last aspirant's trial or something if you die in lab, it's the most tedious thing in the goddamn world to redo. Or make ascendancy points work the same as the trials and you get them when you hit the plaque or clear a difficulty another character's gotten them on or something. I enjoyed it the first and second time and that's about it.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 25, 2017

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

10bux posted:

loving Path of Building is way too addictive... I think I may have a problem already and we don't even have the new skill tree!

whypick1 posted:

Since I've decided to stop playing until Legacy I've replaced actually playing this game with doing 50 gazillion builds in PoB.

same same, now i don't actually have to level a build to know if it will work. Path of Building will tell me that it can hit 400k dps :sax:

really looking forward to chris wilson destroying all my carefully cultivated hipster builds by changing the passive tree and making it impossible for me to commit to blood magic or mind of matter

TypeAskee
Jul 21, 2012
Do we have a list of builds for Legacy that are viable? I've only beaten Normal once (during the last season) and am looking for a new build to play with. I'd like to do something with Scion just for kicks, but I have no idea what. I'm also planning on going SSF, since my hours don't usually work with other people that much. Any ideas for a build since you guys are all the builders right now?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

TypeAskee posted:

Do we have a list of builds for Legacy that are viable? I've only beaten Normal once (during the last season) and am looking for a new build to play with. I'd like to do something with Scion just for kicks, but I have no idea what. I'm also planning on going SSF, since my hours don't usually work with other people that much. Any ideas for a build since you guys are all the builders right now?

Scion is.... not in a great place right now. I'd recommend against it.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

DemonMage posted:

Your first hint for these tells comes at the Ledge in Act 1. If you have to jump in at the waypoint for whatever reason, the three rock pillars in a triangle next to the waypoint shows the way to the big totem at the end and the next area.

It looks like we're getting a number of newer people, and I was in the middle of typing up some tips for new players last night when my power went out.

People say about this game, "Your first character will suck, but you can learn from that and re-roll." In fact, that very thing was said a page ago. It's intimidating, and it doesn't sound like something we should tell new players, but I really believe this is true. Between the passive tree, the skill gem system, and everything going on in the game world itself, there is a lot to take in. Your first character will be slow to level because you don't know where to go, you don't know the bosses' gimmicks, and you're still getting used to everything. Once you get to Merciless a couple of times, you'll have a better handle on everything.

Following a build can help, by giving you direction while you learn the game. The official forums is actually a good place for this. The class forums have an index thread at the top which lists build threads by the main skill it uses. Guides that are labeled Solo Self-Found, Budget, or League Starting builds will usually let you use whatever crap you pick up off the ground while you're leveling. Following a guide for your first character or two, especially if the guide is well written, will show you how to progress through the tree, how the various skills interact with each other, and how your tree benefits your skills. Once you understand that, you can start winging your own builds if that is what you want.

Here's some other general tips I've picked up along the way. Others can add onto this or correct me.

- The key to your first character is not "What class should I play?" but "What do I want to do?" Any class can technically do anything, but the Ascendancy system does give the classes more of an identity than they had before. Start with the skill or setup you want to use, see what Ascendancies can benefit that build, and work from there. The passive tree is there to support your build, not define it.

- On the passive tree, especially when you're just starting out in the game, prioritize survivability over damage. Don't neglect damage entirely, but take more Life (or Energy Shield or both) than you think you need, and then take some more. Whatever "X% more Life" you get on the tree enhances whatever life you have on your equipment.

- You might complete all the Ascendancy trials along the way as you progress through the Acts, but don't feel pressured into completing the Labyrinth when you first open it up in Act 3. You'll probably get stupidly killed if you try it right away. I usually wait until I get closer to the end of Act 4 (or around level 38ish) before I think about tackling it, so I have a higher level and more life. Some people wait until they get into Merciless so they can just blow through the first two Labyrinths and be done with it.

- Your main damage skill will be linked for pure damage, of course, but you will usually want a utility skill or three, like a curse to weaken the enemy. Self casting a curse usually sucks because the best status effect is always Dead, and a cast where all you do is drop a curse is a cast where you're not doing damage. You can use the Spell Totem support gem to cast it somewhat randomly, Blasphemy to turn your curse into an aura, or Curse on Hit with a secondary skill like Orb of Storms that you lead off with. Blasphemy for melee builds or Curse on Hit for ranged builds is probably your better options for this. You can also probably afford an aura or two, because you usually will not be using your whole mana orb unless something is dreadfully wrong.

- Most build guides will suggest Unique items to use, but they will usually not be required. The unique just has a certain mod that greatly benefits the build. A perfectly serviceable rare can fill the hole until you acquire that item, and sometimes a good rare is all you need. This often leads to the question of what makes a good rare. The big money rares will usually have three or four good mods among the following: the various resistances (Your resists will mostly come from your equipment), Life (time to put that %Life from your tree to use), damage mods relevant to your build, and whatever special mods come in certain slots (movement speed on boots, or a +gems mod in weapons).

- The way your character plays at 13 is probably not the way your character will look at 65. The skill gem system doesn't really open up until you get to the support gems, and some of those support gems don't come until the 30s. Earlier access to support gems has helped this issue, though. (It used to be that you had to go all the way to Merveil's cave, the final area of Act 1, before you got a support gem reward. Now, your first support gem comes when you enter the Prison, about halfway through.)

- If you're having fun while playing a character, then it's probably a good build. Not every build needs to be min-maxed to perfect optimization, and not every build can do the top end of pants-shittingly high level content. PoE players love to write eulogies for the last Flavor of the Month build and declare it Dead Forever, Stick a Fork In It, Never Viable Again. Usually it happens because GGG nerfed its OPness, fixed a bug that everybody and their mother abused, or tweaked it slightly to fit more with how they envisioned it. A lot of the time the players are just making way for the Hot New Build. It doesn't always mean the old build sucks, it just might not kill the Uber Uber Uber bosses like it used to. But if I'm having fun with it, who cares? Having fun is the most important thing.

TypeAskee posted:

Back to my last point. Unless things get nerfed badly (and something that's slipping my mind right now might be), most of the 2.5 builds should be viable for Legacy. But do what I do: Look at what other people are considering and copy that. I'm thinking of some kind of Cast When Channeling Scorching Ray build myself, since I skipped Breach like an idiot.

As a follow-on to ShutteredIn's post, if I understand things right, Scion is in that weird place where it can do anything you set it to, but another class will do it better. Which honestly sounds like where Scion has been for most of its existence. There was that one league after Ascendancies were first released where you could slap two hilariously powered mini-Ascendancies together and create a Scion with almost OP effects, but then Scion's Ascendancy nodes got nerfed and it hasn't been the same since.

TypeAskee
Jul 21, 2012

ShutteredIn posted:

Scion is.... not in a great place right now. I'd recommend against it.

Well... that's a pity. What is recommended?

quote:

- The key to your first character is not "What class should I play?" but "What do I want to do?" Any class can technically do anything, but the Ascendancy system does give the classes more of an identity than they had before. Start with the skill or setup you want to use, see what Ascendancies can benefit that build, and work from there. The passive tree is there to support your build, not define it.

Aye... I just don't know enough about the skills to know what to go for, honestly. I'm quite... knowledge-less on this one.

TypeAskee fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 25, 2017

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Gitro posted:

e: Seriously can you just restart at the last aspirant's trial or something if you die in lab, it's the most tedious thing in the goddamn world to redo. Or make ascendancy points work the same as the trials and you get them when you hit the plaque or clear a difficulty another character's gotten them on or something. I enjoyed it the first and second time and that's about it.

You can usually pay someone for fairly cheap (outside of Uber) to run you through it.

TypeAskee posted:

Aye... I just don't know enough about the skills to know what to go for, honestly. I'm quite... knowledge-less on this one.

Take a gander at the list of skill gems and see what tickles your fancy. Go from there.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

TypeAskee posted:

These were for the last league so will change a little bit but here are some videos with some effective league starter builds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYEBwNGilv4&t=811s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkaPAj05mR4&t=3145s

Take a look and see if any of them are interesting to you and go from there.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

Ultima66 posted:

Yes, but did you actually play this build in maps? It's a cool build for burning down Shaper very fast but the rampup time of the damage, the delay between starting Wither and spells casting, and the delay between Firestorm casting and actually hitting the thing you want it to hit means it's pretty awful for actually clearing maps. I found CWC Bladefall with The Scourge to be way better, but in the end I'm still not a fan of CWC because of the delay between starting the channel and spells actually coming out (Animate Weapon is obviously different because the weapons keep killing things even when you're not casting).

It's not blindingly fast for map clearing but it isn't too bad once you get accustomed to casting and moving on before everything has actually died. The rhythm is a little weird and sometimes you have to backtrack a bit for drops, but generally you can get into a pattern of casting so that things die as you run past them. In hardcore, I generally didn't want to go much faster than that anyway.

edit: except breachlord domains. i drat near drove myself crazy trying to get to uul-netol in breach hc with the build. abyssal cry was what finally cracked it, but even then it was by razor thin margins

YoungSexualNorton fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 25, 2017

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Well, it's a good thing I decided to test my build on Standard. I don't like CA very much from a mechanics standpoint, even if it's very good.

The search for builds continues.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
What's the go-to level 1 Skill for Templars who can't buy that juicy Fire Trap? I'll be swapping to Firestorm at 12 anyway so might as well just get the most efficient one

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Freezing Pulse or Spark probably

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

What's the go-to level 1 Skill for Templars who can't buy that juicy Fire Trap? I'll be swapping to Firestorm at 12 anyway so might as well just get the most efficient one
Freezing Pulse is very popular, Molten Strike is sometimes chosen as well. I prefer the former, by a mile.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Alright thanks

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Vasudus posted:

Well, it's a good thing I decided to test my build on Standard. I don't like CA very much from a mechanics standpoint, even if it's very good.

The search for builds continues.

I'm like 90% sure I'll be starting fire nova mine. Hipster as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:
after that hidden tag video, I've been wondering if a crit inquisitor using hegemony, ice crash, and glacial hammer would be a decent build. thoughts?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Maddot_66 posted:

after that hidden tag video, I've been wondering if a crit inquisitor using hegemony, ice crash, and glacial hammer would be a decent build. thoughts?

That always was a good build though, so at least there's that going for it. It's just fallen out of favor ever since EQ was invented.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Insurrectionist posted:

just run a shadow to lioneye's and grab a fire trap is what most people do

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Is there a build that sucks all the enemies towards you in a big clump and then causes them to explode? I saw that taunt causes enemies to explode when they die, does the explosion damage hurt other monsters too?

It would be super awesome to recreate the feeling of D3 exploding palm in POE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lechtansi posted:

Is there a build that sucks all the enemies towards you in a big clump and then causes them to explode? I saw that taunt causes enemies to explode when they die, does the explosion damage hurt other monsters too?

It would be super awesome to recreate the feeling of D3 exploding palm in POE.

Two options come to mind: vaal cyclone (the skill) and Empire's Grasp (the gloves) with a knockback setup

• Locked thread