Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Don't forget that the MP4-30 launched with a really piss poor livery before they switched to the all black. There's hope yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

There's no hope for better in F1

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

There's a great book about when Subaru switched ad agencies in the 90s that has completely convinced me that any sort of group input into a creative project is going to turn it into a burning shitpile real fast. Nothing group designed ever has as strong of an impact as a single person's vision.

As an aside: Before today the biggest mystery of automotive history for me was what the Subaru SVX's design process was like. Now its "What was the honda people's reaction when they saw that car."

I've heard of that. It's why the Impreza bombed so hard initially.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Norns posted:

Ferrari has good and cool livery.

It's bland and shite and will be until Ferrari go back to a darker red and black

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

The most amazing thing about this fan edit is that the previously random white stripe under the sidepod is now black and blends in perfectly with the floor.

That's a bit better.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

That fan edit actually looks quite good. Its amazing how a little change completely changes the impact.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like when Ferrari painted the F93A like a Dallara for no reason.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

There's a great book about when Subaru switched ad agencies in the 90s that has completely convinced me that any sort of group input into a creative project is going to turn it into a burning shitpile real fast. Nothing group designed ever has as strong of an impact as a single person's vision.

As an aside: Before today the biggest mystery of automotive history for me was what the Subaru SVX's design process was like. Now its "What was the honda people's reaction when they saw that car."

Where The Suckers Moon, one of the best non-fiction books about advertising ever

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Where The Suckers Moon, one of the best non-fiction books about advertising ever

Doesn't hold a candle to all those great fiction books about advertising.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I like when Ferrari painted the F93A like a Dallara for no reason.

Like last year's Ferrari I think it was supposed to be a tribute to the 70s Ferraris, which leads me to a conclusion that it goes very poorly for Ferrari when they try to re-do the 70s Ferrari liveries.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Isn't there some great myth that all the cars that have had white on them since the Lauda days have been dogs?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Like prior to the WRX Rally Car era I couldn't tell you what Subaru's image was supposed to be.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

1500quidporsche posted:

Isn't there some great myth that all the cars that have had white on them since the Lauda days have been dogs?

Whatever myth that is is proven bollocks by the mighty BGP001

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Like prior to the WRX Rally Car era I couldn't tell you what Subaru's image was supposed to be.

There wasn't one. Subaru of Japan would just design a product with zero input from america, give it to Subaru of America and tell them to sell it. Alot of the book is executives bemoaning that they don't just focus on FWD platforms or they need a car for this or that segment.

It says a lot that the SVX was very clearly designed as a luxury GT and when it came over to America it suddenly became a sports car in advertising and dealer material. I think Subaru Japan kind of poo poo themselves in the late 80s when they realized that the VER could be extended and all the other manufacturers had luxury brands and tried to push the SVX through as a contingency against that.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The SVX and to a lesser extent the XT failed because they were simply too Japanese. The Infiniti M30 is another example of a very Japanese product falling flat on its face.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

The SVX and to a lesser extent the XT failed because they were simply too Japanese. The Infiniti M30 is another example of a very Japanese product falling flat on its face.

I don't think there is any question why it failed, but I've always been curious about the design process. There's some really high quality bespoke items on that car and then other stuff very clearly sourced from the parts bin and there's no rhyme or reason to it.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Vando posted:

Relax, it'll look better in motion:

Yeah, but that car actually has sponsors.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Sponsors or not. A bad paint scheme is still bad.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

BMW should come back to the sport, and paint the cars up like the art cars.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The new BMW works cars in BTCC look nice.

I was always kind of pissed they never used the M colors for their F1 cars, but it does kinda make sense to reserve that for touring car/GT racing, since it does refer to a line of road cars.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Falken posted:

BMW should come back to the sport, and paint the cars up like the art cars.

I love the story about how they typically painted models and then scaled up the design for the car, but Warhol just showed up with some paint cans and starting painting the car directly.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Human Grand Prix posted:

The M30 is great and i came very, very close to buying one last year. (got a fit/jazz instead).

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

The new BMW works cars in BTCC look nice.

I was always kind of pissed they never used the M colors for their F1 cars, but it does kinda make sense to reserve that for touring car/GT racing, since it does refer to a line of road cars.

Well, there were M stripes on the front right wing of the BT52.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

MattD1zzl3 posted:

The M30 is great and i came very, very close to buying one last year. (got a fit/jazz instead).

I'm so sorry.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I noticed McLa -Ron has CNN on it. CNN is forever etched in my mind as the sponsor of the shittiest teams, as it was in small print on the nose of the Caterham.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

What is this book, I want to buy it and read it

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

What is this book, I want to buy it and read it

Alain Post posted:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

djssniper posted:

The problem with the McLaren livery is that no-one will listen to the GXF department and the sign off will be with someone that has no experience in design, I work in design and it is soooooo loving frustrating when this happens

EDIT: I just wish we could see the initial design concepts

I heard that Hack Clown himself designed the livery in Paint

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
New Williams. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/williams-shows-first-images-of-fw40-in-the-flesh-876987/

Errrr.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's right. own the shark fin. don't try to hide it.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
hey i just woke up was yesterday a nightmare

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

1500quidporsche posted:

That fin edit actually looks quite good. Its amazing how a little change completely changes the impact.

FTFY.

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?

Me too, but I've had to put a paper bag on the nose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxCfyXAhiBo

aequalis fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 25, 2017

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

wicka posted:

The most amazing thing about this fan edit is that the previously random white stripe under the sidepod is now black and blends in perfectly with the floor.

I was thinking the exact same thing and even tried to make the same edit but whoever did this is much better than me with image editing.

Also white is the old national car colour for Japan white makes it more of a nod to Honda.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

wicka posted:

Now if I can backseat graphic design this even further, flip what's orange and what's white and you have a decent-looking car.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

aequalis posted:

Me too, but I've had to put a paper bag on the nose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxCfyXAhiBo
That sounds like an exhaust blown diffuser?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

Just bought it on amazon, cheers

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Oh yeah all is forgiven since you have a few blobs of paint vaguely resembling a kiwi bird.

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/835521507631722498

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If I were cynical I would have just thought that if McLaren have an orange car and they sell orange T-shirts then Max Verstappen fans....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

learnincurve posted:

If I were cynical I would have just thought that if McLaren have an orange car and they sell orange T-shirts then Max Verstappen fans....

http://www.mclarenstore.com/stores/mclaren/en/c/teamwear look at all those orange shirts.

• Locked thread