Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cosmos actually went out of its way to show that the church played a pretty large part in the progression of science.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It felt like at least once per episode in the new Cosmos there was a story about someone who came up with a new scientific idea but then those dang religious people persecuted our brave hero. The general tone was different too, in the old Cosmos when Carl Sagan talks about the age of the universe or evolution he's talking about how amazing and wonderful the universe can be. In the new one Neil DeGrasse Tyson says "here's how it is, deal with it" and kickflipped over a church.

Maybe I'm crazy and misremembering. He definitely jumped a church on a skateboard though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Astroman posted:

Let's not forget the officer in Star Trek IV who realized that the Whale Probe did, in fact, have The Beat:

Star Trek 4 is about how a dubstep probe immobilized Starfleet with its beats

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Star Trek 4 is about how a dubstep probe immobilized Starfleet with its beats

The event went down in Klingon history as the Day of the Skr'llx.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Pwnstar posted:

It felt like at least once per episode in the new Cosmos there was a story about someone who came up with a new scientific idea but then those dang religious people persecuted our brave hero. The general tone was different too, in the old Cosmos when Carl Sagan talks about the age of the universe or evolution he's talking about how amazing and wonderful the universe can be. In the new one Neil DeGrasse Tyson says "here's how it is, deal with it" and kickflipped over a church.

Maybe I'm crazy and misremembering. He definitely jumped a church on a skateboard though.

The running theme of the new show did seem to be less "here's how awesome stuff is" and more like a celebration of a scientist's role in challenging popular ignorance. Flat earth, lead poisoning cover-ups, creationism, climate change denial, etc.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The TNG episode Sub Rosa is on TV right now and Crusher just said the line from the thread title and it made me think of this thread.

Welp, that's my story. Thanks for reading. I hope it aroused you.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The running theme of the new show did seem to be less "here's how awesome stuff is" and more like a celebration of a scientist's role in challenging popular ignorance. Flat earth, lead poisoning cover-ups, creationism, climate change denial, etc.

At a time when science and the concept of facts in general is being challenged I cannot blame them.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I love that all the fights in Mirror, Mirror are just complete messes.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Orv posted:

I love that all the fights in Mirror, Mirror are just complete messes.

You know people give Kirk the credit but as I recall it was actually SPOCK (shouty) who invented the two-fisted punch when bitch-slapping Fake!Nancy Crater in 'The Man Trap'. Unless James "R." Kirk invented it in the fight with Gary Mitchell and I didn't notice or forgot.

But anyway I felt like you were maligning Spock's combat skills as he figures prominently in the Mirror Mirror fight scene I recall,

Anyway my vote for most hilarious/out-of-nowhere fight scene HAS to be the one in "The Doomsday Machine" between Commodore Crazy and Redshirt. That Redshirt was like a proto-Ralph Macchio as I recall.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

At a time when science and the concept of facts in general is being challenged I cannot blame them.

Except they were pretty wrong too. They beelined to "Bruno got executed because they couldn't handle his science!" and the church records of the time say nothing of the sort.

Orv
May 4, 2011

kaworu posted:

You know people give Kirk the credit but as I recall it was actually SPOCK (shouty) who invented the two-fisted punch when bitch-slapping Fake!Nancy Crater in 'The Man Trap'. Unless James "R." Kirk invented it in the fight with Gary Mitchell and I didn't notice or forgot.

But anyway I felt like you were maligning Spock's combat skills as he figures prominently in the Mirror Mirror fight scene I recall,

Anyway my vote for most hilarious/out-of-nowhere fight scene HAS to be the one in "The Doomsday Machine" between Commodore Crazy and Redshirt. That Redshirt was like a proto-Ralph Macchio as I recall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE-rhcFfOEA

It's not that anyone is fighting badly, per se, certainly for 60s TV fight choreography it's pretty drat good, it's just a total barroom brawl of everyone making a mess of things than anything controlled or coordinated. Which honestly is the best part of TOS fight scenes. It also features the rare double-boot.

E: Also you're right that redshirt deserved better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah-AuF_X0EY

Orv fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 25, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AndyElusive posted:

Welp, that's my story. Thanks for reading. I hope it aroused you.

That's my secret, Cap...

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
The new cosmos basically has a Star Trek intro where a space ship is flying around doing sciency-type-things and thus it is both cool and good to watch.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

The new cosmos basically has a Star Trek intro where a space ship is flying around doing sciency-type-things and thus it is both cool and good to watch.

Yeah it's a good show all around. Nothing is perfect but it's a drat fine program for getting people fascinated with science stuff

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Sash! posted:

Except they were pretty wrong too. They beelined to "Bruno got executed because they couldn't handle his science!" and the church records of the time say nothing of the sort.

See, now it sounds like a drama about 80s rap battles and I am so on board for that.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Agreed. NDT's schtick in general is kind of weird in that way and a lot different than Sagan.
I get that science is always an uphill battle with the public, but the occasionally weirdly militant tone of Tyson and other people like Bill Nye is pretty obnoxious.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Well lead poisoning and climate change denial are things that it's totally OK with being militant about in my book. On one hand you have corporations poisoning babies but on the other you have a "weirdly militant tone".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

AlternateAccount posted:

Agreed. NDT's schtick in general is kind of weird in that way and a lot different than Sagan.
I get that science is always an uphill battle with the public, but the occasionally weirdly militant tone of Tyson and other people like Bill Nye is pretty obnoxious.

How should they approach it then? "While what I'm saying might refute what your particular religion believes, I'm sure it's still totally real and you can keep believing it."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

How should they approach it then? "While what I'm saying might refute what your particular religion believes, I'm sure it's still totally real and you can keep believing it."

Perhaps by not actively misrepresenting the catholic church as an active anti-science force, as often happens (cf pop depictions of Galileo as a matyr who died for science)

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cojawfee posted:

Why address it at all? I don't remember Sagan's series really going so. Present your science as objective fact.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Bruno happened to have the good fortune of stumbling upon ideas that were more correct than his peers' and then having all his flaws ignored by those who romanticized him.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, if you watch the episode in question, the sentencing of Bruno was was stated like this.

"You are found guilty of questioning the Holy Trinity and the divinity of Jesus Christ. Of believing that God's wrath is not eternal, that everyone will be saved. Of asserting the existence of other worlds."

So, quite possibly the last one didn't happen and I can see how someone would object to it being put in there. However, the first two are exactly why he was executed.

If you watch the whole segment, Tyson was very careful to show that Bruno was being persecuted due to being outspoken and in defiance of what was taught as the norm, not for specific scientific views. The point of the segment was not "science vs church" it was "free thought and exchange of ideas vs the inquisition."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really like the animation of the historical segments and also the cosmic calendar visualization

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

kaworu posted:

Kirk gives Khan a hurricanrana.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_c1Odol9xw&t=69s

Name Change fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 25, 2017

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
i don't know about any of this but since they threw Deep Space 9 up on european netflix I have binge watched the last few seasons and finished it for the first time

I thought it was extremely good and I am now really sad that it is over.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8utAagjD8SE

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"BAH GAWD IT'S KIRK OFF THE STEEL CAGE!"

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I think someone on Enterprise used a DDT once and referred to it as a Klingon move. Jake the Snake: secret Klingon.

Kirk's double axehandle strike is still commonly used by wrestlers, which I appreciate.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
I prefer Kirk's full body throw he used in Tomorrow is Yesterday against the Air Force guards.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Turns out Chain of Command isn't in season 5 after all, and I can't start Ds9 again yet. I really thought it was coming what with the Cardassians and Trill being introduced.

I'm glad they got rid of the Cardassian face hats, but I do wonder what they were for.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Beachcomber posted:

I'm glad they got rid of the Cardassian face hats, but I do wonder what they were for.

"We do not talk about it with outsiders."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Astroman posted:

"We do not talk about it with outsiders."

Ok, here's my episode all about the Cardassian head cages and how they got rid of them.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

AlternateAccount posted:

Out of curiosity, have you read The Demon-Haunted World or much of Carl Sagan's work in general? The original Cosmos TV series may have been slightly more optimistic than the new one (I honestly don't remember enough of it to make the comparison), but NDT and Bill Nye really have nothing on Carl Sagan when it comes to being militantly anti-psuedo science. Dude clearly had no patience or tolerance for people in power denying scientific reality.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Ok, here's my episode all about the Cardassian head cages and how they got rid of them.

And Dukat's secret life as a border patrol captain with the only goatee in the Union.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Evek posted:

I prefer Kirk's full body throw he used in Tomorrow is Yesterday against the Air Force guards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyxCLlARP_w

Also the redshirt yeoman with the only actual fighting skill in this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pighpPCNPU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I like Keiko in Disaster and at basically no other time.

Pah'wraith Keiko doesn't count.:ghost::supaburn:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Keiko's best moment is saving her husband's life accidentally by not knowing his coffee drinking habits well

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I liked her in Tribunal too.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Tsaedje posted:

Keiko's best moment is saving her husband's life accidentally by not knowing his coffee drinking habits well

O'Brien is so low that even his shrew of a wife barely takes notice of him :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bioware talking about the new player character in Mass Effect: Andromeda: