Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

got any sevens posted:

Yeah he's been a POS for years but these dumbfucks in the suburbs keep voting for him.

The suburbs are turning against him, that's why they expanded the 8th into Kittitas and Chelan during the 2012 redistricting. Before then he was winning by 3-5%. Since the redistricting it's 18-20%.

The only way he's getting ousted is from a primary challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

You've gotta be loving kidding me http://www.king5.com/news/new-bill-could-lower-car-tab-fees/413740928

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
please tell me it's like $49 that people are bitching about.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
We need to find a way to make taxis competitive with services like Uber, which are hemorrhaging money and are funded by literally billions of dollars in venture capital. But, how?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

anthonypants posted:

We need to find a way to make taxis competitive with services like Uber, which are hemorrhaging money and are funded by literally billions of dollars in venture capital. But, how?

This seems to be a fairly uniquely American problem in my experience. So it's probably best to start with, what has regulatory capture wrought?

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Hyrax Attack! posted:

(Cross posting from Seattle Regional thread):

Rep. Dave Reichert, who proudly wrote a book about his involvement in catching the Green River Killer (basically letting him roam free for 20 years until DNA testing came along), former president of WA State Sheriff's Association, and Air Force veteran, cited safety concerns in his refusal to meet with constituents. Instead he hosted a virtual town hall on FB, which is just as good.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/hundreds-protest-at-us-rep-reicherts-office-demand-town-hall-meeting/

This is in Issaquah! C'mon, the only danger would be from a mudslide.

(Sidenote: in checking Wikipedia his page has already been vandalized).

How dare people try voicing their opinion to their elected representative if it isn't unending praise.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ugh that shitbag Dino is still around?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

logger posted:

How dare people try voicing their opinion to their elected representative if it isn't unending praise.

Stupid politician wants his participation trophy, abloo bloo bloo.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

logger posted:

Hey, they can voice criticism too, just not using any of those mean, nasty swears, those can really hurt someone.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Last time the state tried to lower car tab prices, it ended up being ruled unconstitutional.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I have never in my life heard of a "car-tab", is this some sort of weird-rear end canadian slang? Normal people in every state I've ever lived in or visited call them "tags".

Hyrax Attack! posted:

(Cross posting from Seattle Regional thread):

Rep. Dave Reichert, who proudly wrote a book about his involvement in catching the Green River Killer (basically letting him roam free for 20 years until DNA testing came along), former president of WA State Sheriff's Association, and Air Force veteran, cited safety concerns in his refusal to meet with constituents. Instead he hosted a virtual town hall on FB, which is just as good.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/hundreds-protest-at-us-rep-reicherts-office-demand-town-hall-meeting/

This is in Issaquah! C'mon, the only danger would be from a mudslide.

(Sidenote: in checking Wikipedia his page has already been vandalized).
Hey, at least he didn't claim that he wouldn't hold a town hall because Gabby Giffords was shot by a crazy person

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 25, 2017

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

coyo7e posted:

I have never in my life heard of a "car-tab", is this some sort of weird-rear end canadian slang? Normal people in every state I've ever lived in or visited call them "tags".
Tabs are what they are actually called:
http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/renewyourtabs.html

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

coyo7e posted:

I have never in my life heard of a "car-tab", is this some sort of weird-rear end canadian slang?
Its a WA thing. I still use the wrong term up here.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Jesus Christ. My Facebook feed right now is basically a who's who of white privileged assholes bitching about the new car tabs paying for the "bum trolleys" and surmising that only poor people voted for ST3. gently caress these assholes.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/GovMikeHuckabee/status/835509866546479104

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Too bad we can't give him the same welcome we gave Cliven when he landed :(

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

It is a conspiracy, and Governor Huckabee is about to be the star of Air Force One 2

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

DrNutt posted:

Jesus Christ. My Facebook feed right now is basically a who's who of white privileged assholes bitching about the new car tabs paying for the "bum trolleys" and surmising that only poor people voted for ST3. gently caress these assholes.

Get off Facebook and/or get new friends and family.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

DrNutt posted:

Their suffering pleases me

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

DrNutt posted:

Even though I have a car I mostly ride a bus - I tend to point out that getting more people on transit means less SOVs on the road which means more space for the SOVs that are still SOVs. Meaning better commute times for everyone.

But sometimes people are just mind numblingly stupid and you've got to ignore their idiocy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
There was at least one person bitching about how much the tabs on his Maserati were going to cost, and another who bemoaned that "none of those dollars will even go to find roadway expansion!" :qq:

Also most of these people have made the conscious decision to leave well outside anywhere with decent public transportation so as to have a) massive McMansions in sheltered "communities" and b) zero contact with the browns and/or poors.

I don't want to unfriend them because I find their white tears delicious.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Clearly ST3 passed due to some kind of conspiracy against the average Washingtonian, who all make enough to own a Maserati. I understand their deep pain.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DrNutt posted:

There was at least one person bitching about how much the tabs on his Maserati were going to cost, and another who bemoaned that "none of those dollars will even go to find roadway expansion!" :qq:

Also most of these people have made the conscious decision to leave well outside anywhere with decent public transportation so as to have a) massive McMansions in sheltered "communities" and b) zero contact with the browns and/or poors.

I don't want to unfriend them because I find their white tears delicious.

You should tell that guy with the Maserati that everyone is going to think he's a Chinese student at the UW.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/space_needle/status/836362249178501120

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

this sucks because
1) the guy was eventually caught
2) increased screaming about activist judges
3) the loving defense attorney for the guy talked to the press about it and should loving know better

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I was gonna post this in "crazy political poo poo" but I figure someone in here may be able to actually school me on what the awful, awful gun-stealing law Brown passed two years ago was, that some mouthbreather "professional gamer" on facebook posted and then defended by cl;aiming that she was stealing his guns "over two years ago!!!"

I looked around for a good 20 minutes and all I could find was some story about a gun shop bitching that they may have to get a background check on people before they can be allowed to handle firearms in a gun store.

Internet - educate me!

Or am I right and this dude is just a gamergating #MRA trumper who thinks that pewdiepie was edgy and not "actually racist."

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 1, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I would vote for liberal anarchy and sedition.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Pink hats and masks and shaking cops hands, Liberal Anarchy.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Never shake hands with cops, you might as well put the gun in your mouth yourself

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Republican sabotage campaign against ST3 continues and I loving hate these people more each day:
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/politics-government/article135838933.html

quote:

The state Senate passed a measure Wednesday that would replace the 18 local officials who are appointed to Sound Transit’s board with 11 board members who are directly elected by voters.

Reminder: if this actually gets turned into law, you'll be doing per-district (not per capita or anything like it) voting for non-partisan board members who cannot be elected officials and yet still are only granted a $10k stipend. Ensuring the board is dominated by rich fuckwads from Puyallup and their ilk.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 2, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, we already elect the ST board -- because they're all elected officials. They just also have their feet in other parts of local government, which is nice. If we have to dredge up 11 people who have nothing better to do but be on this board, and elect them separately in a bunch of elections that even fewer voters will pay attention to, we're going to end up with a way worse transit board, partly stocked with people specifically running to sabotage it.

The republicans pushing the whole "directly elect ST board members" thing are doing it in response to ST3 passing. I mean, if you think light rail should be going more places, faster, then we just need to get it its money sooner. If you think they should abandon their plans entirely then reshuffle the leadership like this.

(I'm going on this rant because some pro-ST3 people would think at first glance "directly electing the board sounds like a good idea, we could stock it full of transit geeks who know what they're doing". But it wouldn't work out like that.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 2, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
If you "disrupt" any public city meeting in Portland you may get kicked out of future meetings for a few months: http://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2017/03/02/18874290/disrupt-a-city-meeting-you-might-soon-face-a-months-long-exclusion

If that sounds familiar to you, it may be because someone sued the city against this practice a few years ago: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2015/12/federal_judge_finds_portland_m.html

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

anthonypants posted:

If you "disrupt" any public city meeting in Portland you may get kicked out of future meetings for a few months: http://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2017/03/02/18874290/disrupt-a-city-meeting-you-might-soon-face-a-months-long-exclusion

If that sounds familiar to you, it may be because someone sued the city against this practice a few years ago: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2015/12/federal_judge_finds_portland_m.html

Welcome to Oregon, where when your elected officials are found by thw courts to be in violation of the law, they will just try to do the same thing over again and hope nobody notices. See also: PERS system reforms.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

therobit posted:

Welcome to Oregon, where when your elected officials are found by thw courts to be in violation of the law, they will just try to do the same thing over again and hope nobody notices. See also: PERS system reforms.
Here's a wild idea: let anybody use PERS

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

anthonypants posted:

Here's a wild idea: let anybody use PERS

If they did it right it could absolutely work, and if they did it wrong it would gently caress it up way worse. At the very least that kind of cash infusion could really shore things up in the near to medium term.

The problem is how shortsighted the state legislature tends to be when it comes to kicking the can down the road. I do not trust them to not gear it such that they get maximum contributions now and not plan for the eventuality that those people will need their benefits some day. With the current system, you have thousands of public employees who accepted lower wages over the years as part of their union negotiations (or for that matter as managers as well) in exchange for better retirement benefits. Some of these people were earning 2/3rds what their private sector counterparts were making, with the understanding that they would have a good retirement and stability in their employment. The legislature has tried to cut already promised benefits 2 or three times already, been slapped down by the courts each time, and are taking another run at it. And then you have a bunch of republican shitheads complaining about "why should we give a pension to these people when nobody in the private sector gets them anymore?" Well, people in the private sector rarely work for 2/3rds of their fair market value.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

The Republican sabotage campaign against ST3 continues and I loving hate these people more each day:
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/politics-government/article135838933.html

Reminder: if this actually gets turned into law, you'll be doing per-district (not per capita or anything like it) voting for non-partisan board members who cannot be elected officials and yet still are only granted a $10k stipend. Ensuring the board is dominated by rich fuckwads from Puyallup and their ilk.

republican senate, democratic house, right? doesn't seem likely that this'll pass muster there.

and isn't there a senate vacancy that could result in a tie that favors democrats after the special election this year? that's something to look forward to fighting for, at least

edit: guess not, bummer. i did learn we have a democrat that caucuses with the republicans, though. good poo poo :toughguy:

Venuz Patrol fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 3, 2017

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Venuz Patrol posted:

republican senate, democratic house, right? doesn't seem likely that this'll pass muster there.

and isn't there a senate vacancy that could result in a tie that favors democrats after the special election this year? that's something to look forward to fighting for, at least

edit: guess not, bummer. i did learn we have a democrat that caucuses with the republicans, though. good poo poo :toughguy:

The bill passed by 9 votes in the Senate, including four Democrats, and the Democratic house majority is squishy and unreliable. Don't count on this not passing. Call your representative. Do it now.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

anthonypants posted:

Good to see Wheeler getting down to business with the important issues.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

therobit posted:

The legislature has tried to cut already promised benefits 2 or three times already, been slapped down by the courts each time, and are taking another run at it. And then you have a bunch of republican shitheads complaining about "why should we give a pension to these people when nobody in the private sector gets them anymore?" Well, people in the private sector rarely work for 2/3rds of their fair market value.

It's pretty revealing how the right-wingers who shriek about "slaying the PERS dragon" are so immensely enthusiastic about reneging on contracts signed in good faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
holy poo poo, I clicked on that march 4 trump facebook thing and the first name I moused over lists himself as having attended "The Big Daddy School of Street Knowledge and Hard Knocks".

I'm not going anywhere near wherever these people congregate - they sound like school drop outs and violent criminals